Thread: The part where the Mo Dong Heroes believe CMG is a murderer just doesn't work for me.

Default The part where the Mo Dong Heroes believe CMG is a murderer just doesn't work for me.

The part of HSDS in which four of the Mo Dong Heroes so easily came to believe that Cheung Mo Gei murdered Mo Dong Hero # 7 Mok Sing Guk just doesn't work for me. To me, it feels like Jin Yong made the characters behave in an out-of-character manner to force this plot point to work, but it isn't very convincing.

First, all that the four Mo Dong Heroes saw was Cheung Mo Gei coming out of an abandoned house with Mok Sing Guk's corpse on his back. One doesn't need to be an expert in forensics or jurisprudence to understand that merely being in the same room with a corpse or even carrying the corpse in one's arms means that a person is guilty of murder. The Mo Dong Heroes didn't see Cheung Mo Gei killing Mok Sing Guk. How did they come to the conclusion that Cheung Mo Gei *must* have murdered Mok Sing Guk just because Cheung happened to be carrying Mok's corpse?

Moreover, the Mo Dong Heroes knew Cheung Mo Gei's character: they had known him since he was a child to be a kind, compassionate, and moral person who would not even needlessly harm a stranger, let alone one of his beloved martial uncles. Additionally, Cheung Mo Gei had only recently performed many heroic services on the Mo Dong Sect's behalf, including saving the sect from Chiu Mun's flunkies, healing the crippled Yu Doi Nam and Yan Lei Ting, and rescuing the other heroes from Mongol captivity in Dadu (Beijing). Based on their knowledge of his character and his record of valiant acts, the Mo Dong Heroes really should have had more faith in Cheung Mo Gei's character than their rash judgment of him demonstrated.

It would be more believable, perhaps, if the Mo Dong Heroes had been portrayed as injudicious hotheads who made a habit of rushing to bad judgments, but that had never been the case. Overall, they had always been circumspect, wise, and judicious. Their rush to judgment on Cheung Mo Gei was extremely out-of-character for them and seemed very forced; it felt like a moment of PIS (Plot-Induced Stupidity) that Jin Yong could only make work by having the Mo Dong Heroes behave out of character.

The only thing that kind of, sort of makes it work at all is that the Mo Dong Heroes saw Chiu Mun in Cheung Mo Gei's company when CMG carried Mok Sing Guk's corpse out of the house. The Mo Dong Heroes only knew Chiu Mun as the Mongolian warlord's daughter who had captured and imprisoned them with the other orthodox sect members, and had tortured the wulin stalwarts (though notably, not any of the Mo Dong Sect members). Perhaps this contributed to their rush to judgment against Cheung Mo Gei, but even factoring this in...it's a very weak point upon which to construe that Cheung Mo Gei was a murderer when weighed against his good character and proven valor.

Overall, this subplot has never worked for me because it requires too much out-of-character behavior by the Mo Dong Heroes. Based on how they are portrayed for most of the rest of the story, the Mo Dong Heroes are supposed to be better than that.

As always, the novel makes it much clearer and the scene makes much more sense (which is why we keep on recommendin' that you read'm; they're really so much better).

Basically, the set up was that Mo Shenggu had been looking for Zhang Wuji, but found out while doing so that Song Qingshu was being a pervy peeping tom and staring into Zhou Zirou's bedroom. He left the other heroes a short message, "There are problems within our sect, they need to be addressed immediately." The 4 Wudang heroes were concerned that it might be referring to Zhang Wuji due to his affiliation with Zhao Min (that she basically seduced him and made him a Mongolian lackey). When they found Mo Shenggu's sword, they grew even more concerned; Zhang Songxi summarized their concerns when he said, "This child Wuji is honest and generous. Reasonably speaking, [him killing Mo Shenggu] is very unlikely. I only worry that Qidi is hot-tempered and acts rudely. He might force Wuji and put him into a difficult position. Add to the fact that little witch Zhao Min is very crafty, she might incite those two against each other. If that happens, then … then … Ay, a man’s heart is unfathomable, the matters of this world are difficult to predict. Till from the ancient times, it is difficult for a hero to resist a beautiful face. I only hope Wuji will be able to control his emotions well when facing important matters.”

While they were having this conversation, they were just outside the cave where Mo Shenggu's corpse was (and where Zhang Wuji was eavesdropping). Heading deeper into the cave, Zhang Wuji found the corpse and, in shock, carried it to the entrance of the cave to confirm that it really was Mo Shenggu. The Four Wudang heroes heard the noise and immediately charged in and attacked. Zhao Min ran out to draw them away (and was recognized) and managed to escape, and they chased after her; Zhang Wuji reunited with her shortly afterwards after she gave them the 'slip' (although they managed to injure her). The Four Wudang heroes went back to the cave afterwards and found Mo Shenggu's corpse, then managed to track down both Zhao Min and Zhang Wuji. Zhang Wuji covered his face with fur and fought them/sealed their acupoints, but due to a trick, at the last moment, Zhang Songxi managed to snatch the fur from Zhang Wuji's face, revealing his identity to all.

It was at this point that they truly believed that it was Zhang Wuji who did the dastardly deed. So as you can see, in the novel, it made MUCH more sense.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 05-03-11 at 06:41 AM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Yep, it was mainly Wuji acting conspicuous and pretending to be a Mongolian + fighting them that really made them believe it. It was a stupid move. Wuji should have had more faith in his uncles and told them exactly what happened (that he found the corpse randomly) rather than try to get away for no reason.

Off-topic.. or rather, on-topic, but off the derailment sidetrack.. you could watch CCTV's HSDS 2010 - that scene was done pretty well there. Downside it's in Mandarin, although for me I manage with the Chinese subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Off-topic.. or rather, on-topic, but off the derailment sidetrack...
    I would't worry about that anymore, Ian.