Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: Mobile Suit Gundam - The Second Century (Part 2: The Second Century)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Although you obviously completed this a long time ago, I'll still offer you my congratulations. The act of being able to complete a story/fanfic is, in and of itself, an act worthy of respect.
    Thank you. Good luck on the continuation of yours.

Afterword

Although MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: THE SECOND CENTURY is the second part of THE SECOND CENTURY saga, it was the first to be conceived and written. Indeed, the basis of the story was conceived nearly twenty years ago during the late summer of 1991, and many of the basic ideas that you read in the story were already in place even at that early stage.

Part 1 was written second...about two years later during 1993-1994 to provide more background for the Athena Ibaz and Jolie Minh characters and to better establish the world in which they live - a world extrapolated from the original MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM anime films and television series.

The plan at the time was to also write a Part 3 of the arc, which will represent the culmination of Athena and Jolie's complex relationship (as well as link the world of the early GUNDAM series with those of later series such as F-91 and V-GUNDAM). The writing of Part 3, however, did not commence until December, 2009, and is currently in progress.

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: THE SECOND CENTURY PART 3 - THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON is provisionally slated for ten episodes/chapters (making it a symmetrical bookend with Part 1). Just as Part 1 established the friendship of Athena and Jolie, Part 3 will see the ultimate fate of that friendship as the winds of war shift once again. Part 3 will be the conclusion of Athena and Jolie's story, although this does not preclude future "untold stories" about them within the timeline established by the main narrative.

The first postings of THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON will be available shortly. Stay tuned.

Default so sad

thanks for the read
    Ali Derhamy

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post

thanks for the read
    Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it!

The adventure CONTINUES in Part 3, which can be summarized in three words: ATHENA VS. JOLIE!

Smile

Oh, goodness. When you asked me to read the last two chapters of this story, I didn't realize it would be so sad!
    click to show/hide spoilers
    I kept thinking that Jonah was going to pop back up, but he didn't. It seemed like such an empty victory for Jolie at the very end. I don't know how she will ever be able to live with herself, knowing that he died by her hand....
    Because I did not read the whole story from beginning to end, I was a bit confused by all the different characters and how the mobile suit actually worked. Therefore, the action scenes confounded me a little. However, those scenes were very well written, just like a published science fiction novel. I liked the Jolie-Jonah part the most; it was heart-wrenching, but very memorable.

Hi, Mel.

Thanks for reading and offering your thoughts. You are a woman of your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Oh, goodness. When you asked me to read the last two chapters of this story, I didn't realize it would be so sad!
    GUNDAM stories, at least the classic ones, always have a tragic bent to them. They are war stories, after all, and war is tragic. One of the themes of GUNDAM is that war has terrible consequences, especially for the combatants.

I kept thinking that Jonah was going to pop back up, but he didn't. It seemed like such an empty victory for Jolie at the very end. I don't know how she will ever be able to live with herself, knowing that he died by her hand....

It goes with the tragic theme of GUNDAM, but Jolie will grow into a better, stronger, wiser person and hero for it. You'll see in Part 3, which takes place five years later when Jolie is twenty-four years old. She has definitely been scarred by her experiences, but she has developed strength and wisdom beyond her years, which will be invaluable to her in meeting new and difficult challenges in Part 3. In Part 3, we see her in the role of mature, experienced heroine...with a strength forged by the many tragedies that she has endured.

Because I did not read the whole story from beginning to end, I was a bit confused by all the different characters and how the mobile suit actually worked. Therefore, the action scenes confounded me a little.
    It's sort of like VOLTRON, except *way* more realistic.

However, those scenes were very well written, just like a published science fiction novel.
    Thank you.

I liked the Jolie-Jonah part the most; it was heart-wrenching, but very memorable.
    Jolie's story continues in Part 3. Jonah might be gone, but his presence continues to linger and haunt Jolie in Part 3. The events of Part 2 forge Jolie's character in Part 3. Among all the characters in this fanfic, she is the most dynamic: she changes a great deal between Part 1 and Part 3.

Congratulations on your fanfic... It's a monumental achievement in creativity and writing. U got one of the best fanfics on spcnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghaleon View Post
    Congratulations on your fanfic... It's a monumental achievement in creativity and writing. U got one of the best fanfics on spcnet.
    Thank you...the adventure continues, although this time, to the saga's final chapter!