Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK fanfic: The Trials and Tribulations of a Firefighter

Default HK fanfic: The Trials and Tribulations of a Firefighter

Winglin seems to be down and has been for a while now so I'm going to repost my story here.

FOREWORDS

The Trials and Tribulations of a Firefighter
    By Magnoliaewan

This story is about firefighters. Frankie Lam has just started working at a new fire station as Crew Manager. There, he meets Bernice Liu and Gigi Lai, the only girls in a male-dominated field and a love triangle ensues. Well, actually, Raymond Lam, is also involved making it very complicated. The story follows all the trials and tribulations of the life of Frankie, both professionally as well as personally; which include a lot of danger, action and suspense.

Cast:
    Frankie Lam
    Bernice Liu
    Gigi Lai
    Raymond Lam
    Selena Li (last name is Lam in this story because she's Frankie's sister)
    Bowie Lam
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-01-10 at 10:46 PM.

Chapter 1

Frankie Lam couldn’t help smiling to himself as he drove to his new place of work. He had just been transferred to a new division; one in which he is now the Crew Manager – of the Kowloon Fire Department Division 11. He had worked really hard for this promotion and he was happy that his dedication had finally paid off. He had dreamt of being a firefighter since he was 8 years old when his and his mother’s lives were saved by a brave fireman in a horrific fire. Since that day, he vowed to become a fireman and save the lives of others.

As Frankie was rounding a corner inside the fire station, a figure suddenly bumped into him. The girl dropped the files she was holding so he quickly bent down to help her pick them up.

“I’m sorry” she said sheepishly.

“No, I should say sorry” he quickly replied. Looking into her eyes, he felt his heart rate quickening. She was the most beautiful girl he’s ever laid eyes upon; she was tall and had a very smooth and light complexion, a small nose and a very cheerful amiable face. He knew he was staring but he couldn’t seem to look away.

“Thanks for picking up my papers” she said giving him a nervous smile. “Well, I guess I better get going. Bye.”

Bernice Liu walked away suppressing the urge to turn around and look at the guy she had just bumped into. He was the most gorgeous guy she’s ever laid eyes upon. He was fairly tall and slim and had big soulful eyes, a nice nose, a nice full mouth and looked really good in his suit. Who is he, she wondered to herself? She has been working at this station for the last 2 years and knew everyone who worked here. She walked into the common room where most of the other firefighters were. Spying Gigi Lai, her best friend, she immediately went up to her.

“Guess what?” she said to Gigi. “I just bumped into a guy in the hallway. I don’t know who he is but he was really polite and gentlemanly, not to mention really gor-.” Bernice stopped mid-sentence because just then, the guy she bumped into walked into the room. Raymond Lam, the Station Manager, came over to him.

“You must be Frankie” he said. “Welcome to Division 11”. He shook hands with Frankie.

“Thank you” Frankie said.

“I need everyone to come here” Raymond called. When everyone was gathered around them, Raymond continued. “This is Frankie. He is your new Crew Manager. Alex was just – um, fired.” Everyone looked relieved. Alex was cranky and miserable and made sure everyone around was miserable as well. He was always criticizing his team, never did he have a word of encouragement for them. He must’ve had conflicts with every member of the team in the past so it was a huge relief that he was finally gone. Right now, everyone was curious to see what kind of chief Frankie will be. “Frankie had just transferred here from Division 8. He’s been with the Hong Kong Fire Department for 5 years now. Please make him feel welcomed.”

“Hi” Gigi said brightly, shaking Frankie’s hand. “My name is Gigi. Bernice and I are the only 2 females at this station.“

“That’s right, we’re a rare breed” Bernice joked.

“You two should be treated extra special then” Frankie joked back.

Bernice smiled, she liked his sense of humour. Oh great, don’t tell me he has a great personality to match his good looks too, she thought. I’m going to be a goner. She rolled her eyes at herself acting like a schoolgirl but still, she couldn’t help staring at him.

Raymond continued introducing everyone to Frankie. “This is Bowie, Patrick, Ron, Kevin, Roger, Marcus, Ekin, Michael, Moses, and Ellesmere. I believe that’s everyone”.

“I hope you don’t expect me to repeat that” Frankie joked.

“No, I don’t” Raymond chuckled. “Okay, I think it’s about time everyone go back to work again. Frankie, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to look for me in my office” and with that, he was gone.

“I’m very excited to work with all of you guys” Frankie looked around at everyone grinning. “Please let me know if there are any issues. I’m all for open communication. Also, I like a relaxed environment so feel free to be yourselves around me. Just think of me as a friend, not a boss.”

Wow, thought Bernice. This is going to be so different from the Alex era. He seems to be the complete opposite from Alex; easygoing, laid-back and warm and friendly. We might actually have fun around here.

“I think Ray forgot to give you a tour” said Gigi, “would you like me to give you one?”

“Sure” Frankie replied. “Thank you”.

Bernice couldn’t help looking after them until they were gone from the room. Shaking her head to herself, she thought why am I acting like a schoolgirl? She generally didn’t like dating co-workers, it made things too complicated. Besides, he was probably taken anyways. The good ones always are. Most of the time, they had the *****iest girlfriends too, she mused to herself. She quickly got back to the report she was working on.

Just then, Frankie and Gigi came back into the room, talking and smiling to each other. Bernice tried to look disinterested in them but she couldn’t help taking a peek. Finally, Gigi walked over to her and sat down at her adjacent desk.

“Guess what?” she asked as she leaned over to Bernice with a grin. “He’s single. Can you believe it? He’s so handsome and courteous, I can’t believe he’s not taken already.”

“Really?” Bernice was surprised. “How do you know?”

“I asked him” Gigi said.

“You did? Wow, you’re brave.”

“I did it discreetly of course” Gigi retorted. “We were talking about the fundraising Formal event coming in a few months. I just commented that it was decided that each female in all of the departments will ask one guy in their divison to go the Formal Night with her. So I commented that if he has a girlfriend, hopefully she won’t mind if a girl asks him to be her date for the event. Presto! He then said he didn’t have a girlfriend. And I checked his ring finger, he doesn’t have a wedding band so he’s not married either. So that’s how I know he’s single.” She grinned proudly.

“Oh, you’re good” Bernice nodded laughing.
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-01-10 at 10:46 PM.

Chapter 2

Two weeks later, most of the team at Division 11 was sitting in the common room. It was a slow day so far. They only had 2 minor incidents to respond to. Now, everyone in the team was back at the station, having resolved all the minor incidents, which included retrieving a cat that was stuck in a tree.

Ding ding ding! Everyone jumped to their feet at the sound of the fire alarm. They quickly gathered everything they needed and made their way to the firetrucks.

“Okay, the address is 455 Hankow Rd. 15 story high-rise building” Frankie quickly reviewed to his team. “Let’s hurry!”

The team in 2 firetrucks made it there in 5 minutes. Frankie’s eyes widened at the sight of all the smoke billowing out of the windows of 2 middle stories of the building. The fire was clearly quickly making it’s way to the other stories as well. The team got to work right away. Frankie motioned for 5 firemen to enter the building to evacuate any remaining occupants in the building. He yelled for the others to get the ladders to where the fire was raging. Grabbing the hose, he started to climb the ladder. The fire was coming from the 7th floor middle unit. Frankie started to hose down the fire while the firemen on the other ladder also started their hoses dousing out any flames they could see. Out of the corner of his eyes, Frankie spied a woman waving her hands out of her window.

“There’s a person at the window. Apartment to the right, 7th floor. Get me to her!” he yelled at the ladder operator. By the time he got to her window, she was unconscious and he had to pull her out. He quickly scanned her apartment to see if there was anyone else but he couldn’t see very far past all the smoke. Sweat was pouring down his forehead as he carefully carried her down the ladder. He quickly laid her on the blanket Bernice had prepared on the ground and Bernice began performing CPR on her. Immediately, Frankie was back on the ladder and hosing the fire again.

Three hours later, the fire was finally completely put out. One of the fireman who had gone inside the building, Moses, had to be hospitalized for excessive smoke inhalation. The team had managed to pull out 18 people in the blaze. 3 people had died and 15 were in the hospital recuperating with injuries of various degrees but they were expected to make it. 56 people had managed to be evacuated safely beforehand. The rest of the residents of the building were not home during the time of the blaze.

Frankie walked over to Bernice. “How is that lady?” he asked her.

“She was admitted to the hospital” Bernice answered. “She’s expected to make it. She’s very lucky you got to her on time.”

“She is also lucky that you were so quick to work on her” Frankie smiled encouragingly at her. “If I’m not mistaken, she hardly had any vital signs by the time I got her down.”

Bernice couldn’t help liking him more and more. Why does he have to be so darn nice and considerate, she thought?

Just then, Gigi, came up to them. “We’re going out for dinner to celebrate tonight. Raymond said we did really well. The media has been saying really good things about the Hong Kong Fire Department the last few hours so Raymond is quite happy with our work. You guys coming?”

“Of course” exclaimed Frankie. “Free food? I’m there.”

“Boy, you sound just like Bernice” laughed Gigi. “She sure loves to eat that one.”

Bernice felt herself blushing. “Umm…yeah, not gonna lie” she admitted sheepishly. “I do love eating. “

“Totally know how you feel” Frankie said. “My hobby is to eat. Other people like to golf or go cycling, I just like to go eat out. Maybe I should’ve been a cook instead.”

“You’re so funny” Gigi laughed.

“So how come you’re so slim?” asked Bernice. “Do you exercise a lot?”

“If you count going to my fridge exercising, yes” Frankie joked. “Just kidding, I really like to play soccer and I do try to get my *** to the gym once in a while.”

“You really are so funny” Gigi giggled. “Well, I’ll see you tonight.”

“See you girls tonight” he said.

Bernice looked at Gigi suspiciously. Was she flirting with Frankie? She hoped not because Gigi already has a boyfriend.
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-01-10 at 10:45 PM.

Chapter 3

That night, the whole Division 11 team was gathered at the restaurant Raymond chose. He had gone all out and rented a big party room for them. Everyone was talking and joking around. Frankie couldn’t believe how at home he felt with everyone, like he was on the team for ages.

“I’d like to propose a toast” he said. Everyone held up their glasses. “To great success in all our future missions and more lives to be saved.” Everyone nodded in agreement and clinked their glasses together.

“Well” said Raymond. “If today was any indication, we should expect to save a lot of lives. This was the biggest fire we had in a while but the mortality was really low. Good work everyone!”

“Alright alright, can we party now?” asked Kevin. Everyone laughed and started chatting again.

After dinner, Raymond went over to Bernice. “So Bernice, how was the food?” he asked. Everyone in the Division knew how she loved to eat.

“It was great” she answered. “Good choice.” She seemed a little pre-occupied and what he saw when he turned to look at what she was looking at, made him frown. She appeared to be looking at Frankie, who was talking to Gigi.

“Great guy, isn’t he?” Raymond asked.

“Yeah, so far he seems to be a really nice guy” Bernice agreed. “He seems really laid-back when we’re not on duty but once we’re on duty, he’s pretty intense.”

So she was looking at Frankie afterall, Raymond thought, since she knew exactly who he was referring to when he asked the question. “I thought you said that you have a rule against dating co-workers” he said. “Well, at least, that’s what you told me.”

“I still do” she retorted. “Why do you ask?”

“I see you looking at him all the time” he looked her in the eye. “I don’t miss anything around here, you know.”

“Oh quit being so dramatic” Bernice said exasperatedly. “I’m just trying to figure out what kind of chief he is; hoping my life will be easier now that Alex is gone, that’s all.”

“Oh really, that’s it then?” asked Raymond. Just then, the other guys came over to Raymond and started talking and joking around with him so Bernice took the opportunity to go get a drink and do more observing.

Gigi was still talking to Frankie, but then suddenly Bowie appeared out of nowhere and gestured to Gigi to follow him. She looked exasperated but then excused herself to Frankie and left with Bowie to another part of the room. Poor Frankie looked a little confused at what just happened but then he started walking over to the drink table, where Bernice was standing. Seeing him coming over, Bernice suddenly felt nervous.

“Hi” Frankie smiled warmly at her. “Are you enjoying yourself?”

“Yeah” she replied, “it’s not too often the team gets together so it’s always great when we get to bond with the people we work with.”

“That’s true” Frankie agreed. “I think we see each other more than our family members. Well, I definitely do anyways. My parents just emigrated to the States. They said I was old enough to take care of myself and they were just offered some big business opportunity over there so they just upped and left. I really miss them but at least I still have my grandmother and my younger sis. Umm…sorry, I’m blabbing. Wouldn’t want to bore you.”

“No you’re not”, Bernice quickly said. “I like getting to know my co-workers beyond work. But I do have a rule against dating co-workers.”

“You do? Why is that?” Frankie asked looking into her eyes. He didn’t like the sound of that.

“Well, it makes things too complicated and then you have to see each other at work after say a big fight, it would be really awkward” she answered looking away from him. His intense stare was making her melt.

“Well, my theory is to keep my girlfriend happy so there won’t be an opportunity to have complications” Frankie said.

“You mean you’d let your girlfriend trample all over you just to appease her?” Bernice asked.

“Well, not really like that” Frankie smiled, “it’s just I think that there should be a lot of compromises made in a relationship. It takes 2 people to have an argument just like a game of soccer. If one person takes the ball but then doesn’t kick it back to the other person, then the argument can’t continue.”

“Oh, that’s a clever way of disguising that you’re just a pushover” Bernice joked.

Frankie laughed. “Well, I don’t like conflict, that’s for sure. I try to solve them as quickly and effectively as possible.”

“Sure, pushover” teased Bernice. They laughed. Bernice couldn’t believe how easily she could talk with Frankie.

Just then, Gigi stormed by looking furious.

“Hey wait up Gigi” called Bernice. “I’ll talk to you later” she said to Frankie. He nodded.

“Hey Gigi, are you okay?” asked Bernice.

“Yeah, I’m fine” Gigi answered. “It’s just Bowie. He’s been grilling me because he thinks I like Frankie…..and you know what? He’s right. I like Frankie. He’s much more of a gentleman, not to mention much more successful than Bowie.”

Bernice felt a twinge of disappointment that her best friend had her eyes on Frankie. “But you guys have been going out for more than a year now. I thought things were good. Don’t tell me you’re dumping Bowie because you want to go out with Frankie. Do you even know if Frankie has the same feelings for you?”

“Yes, I’m dumping Bowie” Gigi stated. “I guess you know me too well. Bowie hasn’t really done anything wrong, it’s just that I really like Frankie. I’m not sure if he likes me or not but just tell me you support me. Tell me you’re going to help us out.”

Gigi came from a well-off family and her parents had always spoiled her. She was used to getting what she wanted.

“I’m not sure how I can help” Bernice said lamely.

“Just tell him good things about me and just help create opportunities for me and him to go out” said Gigi. “Well, do you agree to help your best friend out?”

“Of course” said Bernice sadly.

“Thanks” Gigi smiled and gave Bernice a hug.
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-01-10 at 10:44 PM.

Chapter 4

Three weeks later, it was another slow day at the station. Everyone was in the common room, some were working on their reports and others were just hanging out. A couple of guys were even playing cards.

Frankie was working on a report when he had a feeling of being watched. When he looked up, he saw Bowie glaring at him. He quickly looked down again. Am I imagining things, he thought? A few minutes later, he looked up again but Bowie had left the room. I must be imagining things, he decided. I’m sure I didn’t do anything to offend Bowie. He decided to look for Bernice. Seeing her always gave him a warm happy feeling. Looking around the room, he spotted her at the corner table working on a report. Just then, she looked up at Frankie and the two of them locked gazes for a few moments. Shaking out of his stupor, Frankie smiled at her but she quickly looked down again. Frankie frowned and wondered why today was such a weird day.

Just then, a lady walked into the station holding a cake box. “Hello, I’m looking for Mr. Frankie Lam.”

“That’s me” Frankie stood up and walked to her. “How may I help you Miss?”

“You don’t remember me?” she asked.

Frankie frowned thinking but he didn’t remember her. “No, I’m sorry.”

“You saved me at 455 Hankow Rd. about 3 weeks ago” she said. “I never got a chance to thank you so I asked around and was told that you saved me.”

“Oh yes, I remember you now. You don’t have to thank me” Frankie responded. “I was just doing my job. How are you doing? You seem to be doing very well.”

“Yes, I’m doing fine thanks to you” she answered. “I brought you some sweet pastries that I made. Hope you enjoy them.”

“Thank you so much Miss” Frankie smiled. “You didn’t have to.”

“My name is Shirley Yeung” she said. “You can call me Shirley.” She gave him a piece of paper. “Here’s my number, give me a call sometime.” She smiled seductively at him and left the station.

By this time, everyone in the station was watching and listening discreetly – well, except for Gigi, she didn’t even try to be discreet.

“I can’t believe she gave you her phone number” she exclaimed. She grabbed the piece of paper out of Frankie’s hand. “How about I throw this away for you.”

“Okay” Frankie replied. “I wasn’t planning to call her anyways.”

“So you didn’t like her?” asked Gigi.

“No” answered Frankie. “Here, have some pastries guys. Wow, they look good.” Gigi smiled and took a piece of pastry and gave it to Bernice.

Just when they started to eat the pastries, the alarm went off. Ding ding ding ding!!!

They all jumped to their feet and responded to the alarm right away.

The fire was at a warehouse only 6 blocks away so they were able to get there in less than 5 minutes. It was a big blaze but the warehouse was freestanding so there wasn’t any risk of the fire spreading to another building. Frankie immediately started directing his crewmen, sending a few men inside the building, including himself.

“Bowie, Roger and Kevin- we’ll go inside!” Frankie yelled. Roger and Kevin quickly followed Frankie but Bowie stood still for a few seconds and then turned around and walked off. Frankie frowned in shock that Bowie didn’t follow his instructions. Did he not hear me, thought Frankie? No, he clearly looked at me and then walked away. Deciding not to pursue it now, he motioned for Roger and Kevin to follow him. He, Roger and Kevin went inside with their hoses and immediately started dousing the flames. Frankie looked around to see if there was anyone still left inside the warehouse. He spied a man trapped behind a fallen wood beam and immediately went over to help the man. He doused the fire from the beam and kicked it out of the way. He grabbed the man’s arms and pulled him to safety. Behind him, he noticed Kevin also pulling someone else out. Dammit, he thought, we sure could’ve used Bowie in here. Once he got the man outside the building, he quickly made his way back inside. Just then, Bernice ran up to him.

“Let me come with you, looks like you need more help inside” she yelled. He hesitated because he didn’t want her in danger but then he remembered that he wasn’t supposed to treat her differently from the male firefighters so he nodded.

Frankie coughed as he left the building. They had put out the fire in about 2 hours and luckily, everyone in the warehouse escaped unhurt. Frankie was really happy, he loved it when there weren’t any casualties. He looked over at Bernice and gave her a big smile. She hesitated but then gave him a big smile back.

“Are you okay?” Gigi asked Frankie when he coughed again.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just a little scratchy from smoke inhalation but I’m fine” he smiled. “You guys okay out here?”

“Yeah, everything went great out here” Gigi answered. “I’m glad no one was seriously hurt.”

“Me too” Frankie grinned. “My favourite kind of mission.”

The next day, Frankie knocked on Raymond’s office door.

“Come in” called Raymond. “Hey Frankie. What’s up? You’ve been here for a while now but haven’t come to consult me personally. Something must really be bothering you.”

“Well”, Frankie began, “I guess I’m pretty new to this managing thing so I’m not too sure if I’ve got a problem on my hands or not.”

“Hey, it’s really late now and we’re both off soon so how about we go out for a drink and you can tell me about your problem” Ray suggested.

“Okay, sure, I’d like that” Frankie nodded.

Later that night, Frankie and Raymond were sitting in a nice swanky lounge Raymond had suggested.

“Nice place” commented Frankie taking a sip of his rum and coke.

“So what seems to be troubling you?” asked Raymond sipping on his Long Island Ice Tea.

“I suspect one of my crew member deliberately defied my orders today. The strange thing is I caught him giving me strange looks all week but I’ve just been dismissing them. I’m not sure what I did to offend him. I haven’t actually talked to him too much so I don’t know why he doesn’t like me. Or maybe he just doesn’t respect me” Frankie said anxiously.

“Did this person’s act of defiance affect the mission negatively?” Raymond asked. “Do you want to tell me who the person is?”

For some reason, Frankie didn’t want to get Bowie in trouble. “No, it was a very minor incident and didn’t affect the mission in any way” he lied. “I don’t think it was that bad, I was just wondering what you would do in my situation. I know you used to be a Crew Manager before becoming Station Manager. “

“I would confront the person” Raymond replied. “If that doesn’t help, then I would file an official reprimand.”

“Okay, thanks” Frankie said seemingly deep in thought.

“Look, don’t worry. You’ve told me before that you don’t like conflicts and confrontations but I’m glad you want to do something about this instead of ignoring it. I’ll help you out. Just let me know how it goes. Okay?”

Frankie smiled and nodded.

“Actually, I have a question for you” said Raymond.

“Sure, shoot away”

“What do you think of Bernice?” Raymond asked.

“Uhhh….she’s a great girl. Very cheerful, likeable and also very caring. She’s a great firefighter. She was a lifesaver at yesterday’s fire. Guess she’s both beautiful inside and outside.”

“Sounds like you have a crush.”

“Umm…no, I mean I don’t know” stammered Frankie.

“You know, she doesn’t date co-workers. That’s what she told me when I asked her out.”

“You asked her out?” Frankie was surprised. “So you like her?”

“Yeah, but she has been pretty stubborn about her no dating co-worker rule.”

Frankie was quiet again, deep in thought. Wow, Bernice was right. This could get complicated. He was starting to really like Raymond – a young boss, who was very understanding and patient, who was like a friend. He didn’t realize Raymond had feelings for Bernice too. Well, maybe I should just concentrate on work and not let personal issues interfere with it, he decided.

Suddenly, Raymond spoke, breaking Frankie out of his reverie. “So our Fundraising Events are coming up soon, should be a lot of fun.”

“Yeah, I’m looking forward to them” Frankie agreed.

“The girls are supposed to ask one guy to be her date for the Formal Night, wonder if we’ll be picked” Raymond winked at Frankie.

Frankie chuckled, “Someone will ask you for sure, Mr. Cool Guy.” It’ll be great if Bernice asked me, he thought. Wait, no, I’m not supposed to think about those things, he reminded himself.

They resumed joking around and chatting with each other long into the night, becoming better friends.
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-01-10 at 10:43 PM.

Chapter 5

After another long eventful shift at the fire station, Frankie was feeling more tired than usual. He pulled into his parking space and made his way up to his 3 bedroom apartment.

“Granny! Selena! I’m home!” he called.

“Hey big brother” Selena poked her head out of the kitchen. “You look beat. Long day? Granny cooked a great dinner complete with fish soup. Sit down, dinner will be served in a few minutes.”

“That’s great! What am I going to do without you guys?”

“You can say that again” his granny came out of the kitchen bringing a pot of soup.

“Here, granny, let me help you” Frankie took the pot out of her hand. “Would you like me to set the table?”

“Just sit down, I’ll do it” Selena said. “You really look like crap.”

“Thanks” Frankie said sarcastically.

Minutes later, they were all seated at the dinner table eating their meal and talking.

“Mmmmm……nothing beats your cooking granny” said Frankie.

“Oh stop buttering me up” his granny said but she was really pleased at his compliment.

“So” said Selena, “tell me about your long day.”

“We had 3 major calls today. Usually, it’s just 1 fire and maybe a few small incidents but today, we had 3 successive fires. “

“Tell me more details” said Selena enthusiastically. “I love your firefighting stories.”

“Are you still on your thing about becoming a firefighter?” Frankie asked Selena. “Look sis, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Big brother, we’ve been through this many times before but I’ve made up my mind, I want to be a firefighter.”

“Your brother is right” their granny spoke up. “It’s already enough having one firefighter in the family. We can’t have both you guys being firefighters. It’s too dangerous, Selena. Isn’t there anything else you’re interested in?”

“No, Granny. That’s just it. I don’t want to do anything else. I love brother’s stories and I’ve always wanted to save lives just like him. Anyways, like I said, I’ve made up my mind. I’ve already applied and will be writing the examinations in a few months.”

“What?!” exclaimed Frankie. “Why didn’t you discuss this with me before you applied?”

“We have discussed this before” Selena insisted. “You just didn’t want to hear what I was saying.”

“Sel…please think this through. You know how dangerous it can be.”

“I’ve aleady thought it through and I’m sorry but it’s too late to change my mind. I already signed up like I said.”

“Okay” Frankie sighed defeated. “If you need my help, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Thanks big brother” smiled Selena happily.

The next day at the station, Frankie was sitting at his desk deep in thought. He felt a tap on his shoulder and was surprised to see Bernice.

“Hey” she said. “Is there something troubling you? Can I help?”

“How did you know there’s something troubling me?” Frankie asked.

“I can tell. You’re usually really talkative but today, you’re really quiet. Also, you’ve been deep in thought all morning.”

“It’s my younger sister. She insists on becoming a firefighter. I don’t want her to be one because it’s dangerous. If something happens to her, I won’t be able to forgive myself because she wants to be a firefighter because of me and my stories.”

“You know what? I always wanted to be a firefighter too because of my father. He was a firefighter and I knew that was what I wanted to do as well. Your sister is old enough to make decisions about her life. It’s not your fault, you shouldn’t feel responsible for her decision.”

“You’re right but I can’t help but worry” smiled Frankie. “It’s not like I can do anything anyways, she already made up her mind and already applied.”

“Try not to worry too much. It’s out of your hands now. Just be supportive and provide assistance if she needs it.”

“Thanks for your advice Bernice. You made me feel better. I owe you one.”

“Yeah you do. You have to take me out for dinner at a really nice restaurant” she joked.

“Sure…..how about tonight?” he didn’t want her to change her mind.

“Umm…I was just joking. You don’t owe me anything. It was nothing, I’m glad I was able to help.”

“Oh, okay….well, thanks for the advice.” Frankie said trying to hide his disappointment. It’s probably better this way, he thought. He had promised himself he didn’t want to entangle himself with the complications of the matters of the heart anyways.

“How about you go out for dinner with Gigi tonight?” Bernice suggested. “She told me her parents are away on business so she doesn’t have anyone to eat dinner with.” She looked around for Gigi. “Hey Gigi, you just told me that you didn’t have any food for dinner tonight because your parents are away, right?”

Gigi walked over to them. “Yeah, why?” she asked.

“Well, Frankie just told me he’s free for dinner tonight so I was just thinking you guys could go for dinner together.”

“Sure why not?” Gigi smiled.

Frankie looked at Bernice. “That’s great Gigi, I’ll see you after our shift then” he said with a forced smile.

Later that day, in the girls’ bathroom, Gigi gave Bernice a hug. “Thanks Bernice, you’re such a great friend!”

“No problem, what are friends for?” Bernice hugged Gigi back. She couldn’t help thinking about the face Frankie gave her after she set him and Gigi up. She was sure she saw a little bit of sadness and disappointment. She felt a tiny twinge of sadness herself but she had promised Gigi that she would help her with Frankie and she valued their friendship and would never do anything to hurt Gigi. They had been best friends for the last 8 years – since the first day of high school.

That evening, Frankie met up with Gigi at the front door of the station after their shifts were over.

“Hey Gigi” Frankie smiled at her. “So do you know what you would like to eat for dinner?”

“How about you pick?” she answered.

“Okay….but just tell me if you feel like Western or Eastern cuisine.”

“How about Italian?”

“I thought you said I could pick?” joked Frankie.

“You could pick the restaurant then” Gigi laughed.

“Okay, I know a great Italian restaurant a few blocks from here. You want to go in my car?”

“Sure” Gigi grinned happily - it felt like they were going on a date.
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-01-10 at 10:43 PM.

Chapter 6

The next day at the station, Gigi was gushing to Bernice about her “date” with Frankie. “The restaurant was so nice and romantic, and the food was delicious. He has really good taste. Also, he’s so funny and the conversation was great. I really got to know him and he’s such a sweet guy. He insisted on paying too. I had such a great time. Thanks again Bernice. ”

Bernice smiled at Gigi. She was happy for her friend but she also felt a twinge of jealousy. Well, too bad for you, she thought to herself. You promised to help Gigi so there’s no room for regret now.

Just then, Frankie walked into the room and made his way over to Bernice and Gigi.

“Morning girls. Bernice, I got you something.” He handed her a bag. She looked inside to find all her favourite snacks. “It’s to say thanks for the advice you gave me yesterday” he smiled.

“Thanks, you didn’t have to” Bernice said. “How do you know I like to eat these?”

“Well, I’ve been here for over a month now and I see you eat these snacks all the time. I’m sure everyone else knows that you like these snacks too.”

“True true” she laughed.

“OK, I’ll talk to you girls later.” He left to his desk.

“Wow, that was really sweet of him” Gigi said to Bernice. She felt a little jealous that he knew exactly what snacks Bernice liked. She was sure that the other guys didn’t know, despite what he said.

Just then, Raymond walked into the room. “Okay listen guys. The next couple of months are our Fundraising months. The first part of it is going to be our calendar. So, the photoshoot will take place the next few days. There are 12 guys here, one for each month and then Bernice and Gigi can be paired up with a guy. How about Gigi with Frankie and Bernice, you could be with me.”

“That’s a brilliant idea!” exclaimed Gigi happily. Bowie’s expression darkened. He looked so angry that Gigi could’ve sworn she could see steam coming out of his ears. She looked at him worriedly but then decided that she had already explained to him that they were no longer together so he just had to accept it.

Frankie couldn’t help looking over at Bernice longingly. It would’ve been nice to work with her, he thought. Well, he really liked Gigi too. There were times he felt that he and Bernice had a deeper connection while with Gigi, it was more a fun and comfortable relationship – but a little more shallow.

“I vote that you guys have to go topless” Bernice said.

“No way” Frankie protested.

“Come on, don’t you want the calendar to sell successfully?” Gigi agreed with Bernice. “I know for a fact that the majority of the buyers of our calendars are female – housewives who like their men topless.”

“Well, you could get the other guys to do it” Frankie said.

“I’ll do it in the name of raising funds for our department” Raymond volunteered.

“Hah, Raymond’s not shy at all, but Frankie’s being a scaredy cat” teased Gigi.

“Hey! No fair, you’re supposed to be on my side” Frankie said to Raymond.

“Well, are you going to do it for the sake of fundraising Mr. Chief?” asked Bernice.

“No…please don’t make me. Besides, I have hair on my chest” Frankie admitted shyly.

“Great, a lot of women like hair on mens’ chests - makes them look manly” Gigi said.

“Are you kidding? Asian girls practically scream and run away when they see a hairy chest” Raymond teased Frankie.

But Frankie just agreed with him. “That’s true, asian women don’t like hairy chests. I guess I’m off the hook.”

“No you’re not” Bernice said. “Have you ever heard of waxing your chest? Don’t worry, I’m really good at waxing. Gigi and I will do it for you.”

“What?! No way, that sounds freaking painful” exclaimed Frankie.

“Hey, you said you’re very dedicated to the Hong Kong Fire Department yet you won’t do this in the name of Fundraising for us? What kind of Chief are you?” Gigi pouted.

“Okay okay….stop ganging up on me. I’ll do whatever you girls think is best.” Frankie sighed, knowing he’ll regret his decision.

Later that evening, he already was regretting his decision, while ringing the doorbell to Bernice’s apartment. She opened the door with Gigi behind her. “Come in Frankie” she pulled him inside. “This is going to be fun!”

“Yeah right” Frankie muttered. “Well, maybe for you girls.”

“This is my mom and my dad” Bernice introduced.

“Hello aunty, hello uncle, how are you?” Frankie politely greeted them.

“Oh, you’re a handsome boy. Bernice hasn’t brought a boy home for a long time” her mother started.

“Mommy!” Bernice yelled mortified. “He’s a co-worker, in fact, he’s my chief at the station.”

“Oh wow, that’s even better” her mom exclaimed. “You’re also successful.”

Gigi was starting to get irritated at how Bernice’s mom was trying to get her daughter with Frankie so she quickly grabbed his hand. “Okay, we have to go to Bernice’s room to do the waxing. Let’s go.”

With that, they made their escape to Bernice’s room, where all the waxing material was ready and waiting for them.

“Okay, Frankie, take off your shirt” Bernice said. Frankie slowly and reluctantly did as she asked, feeling really shy. “Now lie down on the bed.” When he had lied down on her bed, she took the popsicle stick with wax and began smoothing it on his chest.

Suddenly Frankie sat up, “I think I change my mind.”

Both girls pushed him back down. “Too late!” they said and yanked the wax off with a piece of cloth.

“Ahhhhhhhhh!” Frankie yelled, his face turning red. “That freaking killed!”

“Oh stop being a baby” Gigi teased. “Do you know that we girls have to do this all the time in order to be smooth and hairless for you scaredy cat guys?”

“Okay, here we go again” said Bernice.

“Ahhhhhhh!” Frankie screamed again. “How can you girls do this on a regular basis? Now I know what they mean when they say women can stand pain better than men.”

“This is a piece of cake compared to childbirth” Bernice stated.

Frankie groaned, “I’m gonna die.”

“Baby!” the girls shouted giggling.

“Alright, that’s it. You didn’t have too much hair actually, it only took 2 strips.” Bernice announced.

“Thank godness!” Frankie sighed. “I was about to pass out.”

The girls laughed, “You’re such a wimp!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Frankie arrived at the station to see a commotion of people. The photographer and his assistants have already arrived and were setting up the backdrop for the photoshoot. The team was split into groups of 4 to 5 people. Each group was being photographed on separate days so the others could cover should the alarm go off. Today was Frankie’s group’s turn. His group consisted of himself, Gigi, Bowie, and Michael. Just my luck to get Bowie in my group, Frankie thought to himself.

“Hey Frankie!” Gigi said brightly. “Are you ready for our photoshoot?”

“Uh, I don’t think I’ll ever be ready” he replied.

“Come on, take it off” she teased.

“Take what off?”

“Your shirt, remember? You’re going topless?”

“Darn, I was hoping you’d forget about that” Frankie groaned.

“No way, you promised. Do you need me to help you?” she laughed as she grabbed his shirt.

“Hey! Stop that”, he laughed too.

Just then, Bowie walked into the room and saw them fooling around. His face darkened and he shot Frankie intense glares. Gigi immediately stopped laughing while Frankie looked at Bowie. I guess it’s time to confront him, thought Frankie. “Hi Bowie. Can I have a word with you?”

“Okay, everyone over to that room, we’re going to get started on hair and makeup!” yelled the photographer’s assistant.

Bowie gave Frankie another glare and turned away, stalking off to the dressing room. Frankie sighed. This isn’t going to be easy, he thought.

~~~~

“Turn your head a little to the right” the photographer instructed Frankie. “Now drape your jacket over one shoulder. Gigi, put your hands on his other shoulder and lean against him.”

Gigi’s heart did a little flip-flop as she touched Frankie’s bare shoulders. Bernice was watching them from afar. They look really good together, she thought. They make a great couple. Gigi was wearing a cute little baby tee paired with her firefighter trousers and with Frankie, topless, and wearing his firefighter trousers, they both looked really sexy.

The day after was Raymond’s group’s photoshoot. His group consisted of himself, Bernice, Kevin and Ron. Gigi and Frankie came over to hang out with them.

“Hmmm…..Ray looks good topless” Gigi poked Bernice in the ribs.

“Owww…um yeah, you’re right” Bernice said looking over at him.

“Have I caught you girls staring?” asked Raymond teasingly.

“Yeah, and I approve. We should have no problem selling a lot of calendars this year with this topless guys idea of mine” she announced proudly.

“We better” said Frankie. “Otherwise, my suffering would’ve been in vain.”

“Oh no don’t start your whining again” said Gigi. They all laughed.

During the photoshoot, Bernice and Raymond were like naturals, looking really comfortable with each other. They look really good together, thought Frankie, his heart feeling heavy. Well, it’s better that I don’t get involved with these things anyways. But, he knew he was lying to himself because he was already in too deep - try as he might, he couldn’t get Bernice off his mind since she bumped into him the first time they met.
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-01-10 at 10:42 PM.

Chapter 7

“Morning Granny” Frankie greeted his grandmother sleepily. He was definitely not a morning person.

“Sit down, I made some congee for breakfast.”

“Oh good, your congee is the only thing that can wake me up in the morning. Thanks Granny.” He sat down at the table and started to eat.

“Morning Granny” yawned Selena coming out of her room. “Big brother, you said that if I needed any help that I could just ask you, right?”

“Wow, no small talk, no buttering me up first before asking for my help?” joked Frankie.

“Hah! No need to suck up to my big brother because he’s so nice.”

“Yeah, sure sure. So what do you need little sis?”

“I just have some questions about the firefighting exams.”

At the mention of them, Frankie stiffened up. “So you’re determined to do them, huh?”

“Yes” Selena said. “They start in 2 weeks, including the psychological exam. I’m a little confused about a few things. Can you explain them to me?”

“Alright” Frankie sighed. “I’ll help you out tonight, how about that?”

“Thanks big brother” Selena said grinning.

Frankie stepped out of his apartment and was locking the door when he heard a female voice say “hi”. He turned around and was surprised to see Shirley Yeung standing by the door to the apartment across from his. “Hi Miss Yeung. How are you?” he said surprised.

“I’m good. So, it’s been 3 weeks and I haven’t heard from you.”

“I’m sorry. It’s just that I don’t really know you” he apologized lamely.

“Well, if you don’t call me then how are you going to get to know me?” she retorted.

“Uh….so you live here now?” he changed the subject.

“Yes. After my last apartment burnt down, I moved here.”

“Wow, what a coincidence.”

“So now that I’m your neighbour then you can get to know me.”

“Ummm….that’s true” he said thinking to himself that this conversation was getting really awkward.

Looking at her nursing uniform, he asked “so are you going to work? What hospital do you work at?”

“I work at Mount Sinai Hospital” she answered. I have to take 2 buses to get there.”

“Oh…. Mount Sinai isn’t too far from where I work. I can give you a ride if you want” he offered.

“Sure” she smiled.

Stepping into the fire station, Frankie thought about how uncomfortable Shirley made him with her insistence that they get to know each other better. How much of a coincidence is it that she lives right across from me now he thought? He walked into the common room and immediately looked around the room for Bernice. It had become some sort of a habit for him to look for her when he got to work. There she was with Gigi at their desks talking and laughing. He smiled, she was always so happy and cheerful, like a ray of sunshine. Just then, Gigi looked up and saw him. She waved to him. He waved back at her. Bernice gave him a timid smile.

“Come over here Frankie!” yelled Gigi. “I brought some sweets this morning, you want some?”

“Wow, thanks. You know me, I always want food” he said. “Did you make them?”

“Yeah right” Bernice snorted. “Gigi can’t even boil water, there’s no way she can make those.”

“Hey” pouted Gigi. “I can cook some things.”

“Oh really? What have you cooked before?” asked Bernice looking at Gigi expectedly.

“Uh…..uh….”, Gigi was thinking really hard.

“See? You haven’t cooked a thing in your life.”

“Okay, stop teasing me” Gigi pouted. “I admit it. I can’t cook to save my life.”

Frankie laughed. “Can you cook Bernice?”

“Nothing too fancy but I can bake really well” she answered. She hesitated then said “How about I bring in some of my treats for you?”

“That would be awesome” he said surprised. Lately, she seemed to be avoiding him so he was a little surprised that she was offering to bake for him. It really confused him how sometimes, she was so nice to him and they seem to have some sort of connection but then other times, she was suddenly cold and timid around him.

Ding! Ding! Ding! They quickly got to work, pulling on their suits and gearing up the firetrucks.

“This is a big one!” shouted Frankie. “We have to hurry. The blaze is raging out of control already!”

The traffic was heavy today so it took them at least 10 minutes to get to their destination. By the time they got there, the fire had spread to 5 floors of the 18 story building. Frankie’s eyes were really wide as he surveyed the damage.

“We need backup” he said. He sent a few men inside and the remaining started climbing up the ladder and hosing down the fire. “This is Frankie Lam from Division 11” he started calling for help. “We’re at 1195 *** Lo Tsun Rd., we’re going to need backup! We need ambulance immediately , there are a lot of casualties” Just then, he saw several of his crew pulling out injured people. “Please tell them to hurry” he said to the operator. “I’ve got to go now!”

He immediately ran inside the building to help out. The smoke was so thick, his eyes burned and he started coughing. With his fire extinguisher, he began to extinguish the flames as he made his way to any persons he was able to see. A little girl! No! He hated to see children hurt. Please be alive he prayed. He picked her up and quickly made his way outside. When he got outside, he handed her to the paramedics who were waiting. Watching them work on her with a worried expression, he slowly turned around and made his way back into the building. He managed to pull another man out before the smoke got too thick and he had to come outside for air.

“The smoke’s too thick, we just have to do everything from outside!” he shouted to his crew members. “ Is everyone in our crew accounted for?” he asked Gigi, who was working outside.

“Everyone but Bernice! I haven’t seen her come out yet” she shouted worriedly.

“What?” Frankie asked in shock! “She didn’t come out yet?” He quickly turned around and ran inside the building hearing Gigi call after him “be careful, it’s dangerous!”

Where are you Bernice? Where are you? Frankie looked around frantically. He went further up the stairs. His eyes were really burning and he was beginning to cough uncontrollably. He used up the fire extinguisher he had and pulled another one from the hallway and doused the flames as he went deeper into the building. Just then a yellow reflective light from the firefighter uniform caught the corner of his eye and he turned to see Bernice lying beside a little boy. They both appeared to be unconscious. Frankie immediately grabbed a hold of them and started to carry them towards the exit. His eyes were burning so much, he could hardly see but his mind already knew which way the entrance was. They were trained to memorize their way out. He was sweating profusely as his bundle was beginning to feel heavier and heavier with every step. His breathing was getting more and more laboured and his vision was getting blurry. No, must keep going, he gritted his teeth and refused to drop his bundle as he continued to make his way out. Finally, he saw the entrance and drawing up more adrenaline, he quickly ran to the door. Once he got outside, he fell to his knees, putting Bernice and the child down. Through blurry eyes, he saw people running up to them and grabbing Bernice and the child, and then it seemed like the darkness was caving in until suddenly the world went completely black.
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-01-10 at 10:42 PM.

Chapter 8

The first thing Frankie noticed when he returned to consciousness was the intense thirst. “Water, water” he said weakly. Someone put a straw up to his mouth and he sipped the water until the thirst wasn’t so consuming anymore. “Thanks” he said gratefully looking up at the person. His blurry vision began to focus better and he started to make out his sister’s worried face looking at him.

“Brother, I’m so glad you’re awake!” she said in relief.

“Sel? Am I in a hospital?” he asked looking around. Then he noticed Gigi standing behind Selena.

“Hi Frankie. How are you feeling?” she asked.

Suddenly, the grog lifted from his mind and his memory came rushing back to him. “Bernice! How is she? How is Bernice?” he asked frantically.

“She’s not awake yet” Gigi said choking up. “The doctor is doing some tests on her to see if there is any brain damage.”

“I have to go see her” Frankie said, getting off the bed.

“You need to rest brother. Don’t overexert yourself.”

“Gigi, please bring me to her room” he begged. “I need to see how she’s doing.”

Gigi nodded. “Okay, you can hold on to me.”

The doctors were finished with their tests by the time they got to Bernice’s room. She still hadn’t woken up yet and was lying in bed. Raymond was there sitting beside her.

“Doctor, how is she?” asked Frankie.
    “There doesn’t seem to be extensive brain damage. She should be okay” the doctor answered. “She just needs to rest in order to recover.”

Frankie was so relieved, he felt like crying. “Wait, what about the child, the little boy she was with?”

“He didn’t make it” Raymond replied.

The blood drained from Frankie’s face. Sadness and disappointment washed through him. He suddenly felt like he really needed to sit down. Gigi held his arm when she saw him swaying on his feet.

“Sit down” she said worriedly helping him to a chair. “Maybe you should go back to your room and lie down.”

“No, I’m okay, I want to sit here for a while” Frankie said looking at Bernice.

“Your sister said your grandmother wants to come to the hospital to see you so she’s going to go home and get her. You don’t want your grandmother to worry, do you?” Gigi asked.

That did the trick. Frankie stood up and said “okay, I’ll go back to my room. Raymond, please call me when Bernice wakes up.”

Raymond nodded and held Bernice’s hand. Frankie looked at them sadly then turned away and walked out. Gigi grabbed his arm to help him.

After Gigi helped him back into bed, she asked him if he wanted more water. “Yes thank you.”

“Okay, I’ll go ask the nurse” she said and left the room.

“She really likes you” Selena said.

“What are you talking about?”

“Gigi likes you” Selena repeated.

“No she doesn’t” he shook his head. “How would you know anyways?”
    “I’m a female, I can tell when a woman likes a man” she rolled her eyes. “Just because you are too dense to see it, doesn’t mean I can’t see it.”

“You’re just speculating” he argued.

“Okay, I guess you don’t like her since you’re not jumping for joy.”

“I like her. She’s a great girl.”

“You just like her as a friend though, right?”

“I’m not really thinking about relationships right now.”

“Oh really…..so who is this Bernice girl then? You were really concerned about her just now.”

“She’s a co-worker. I rescued her from the fire. She was pretty badly injured. I’m just concerned about her well-being because I consider her a friend.”

“Alright, whatever. Anyways, I’m going to go pick up Granny. You rest up so you don’t look so busted up, like you do now, when she comes.”

Frankie chuckled. “Okay” he said.

Selena left just as Gigi came back into the room with a new jug of water. “Here’s the water, let me pour you some.”

“Thanks” he said looking at her in a new light. He felt slightly uncomfortable at his sister’s revelation but then again, he also felt really touched at how nice and caring she was to him.

“What? Why are you staring at me? “ she asked.

“Nothing” he said quickly. “I just wanted to say thank you for all your help.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Don’t worry Granny” Frankie said holding her hands. “I’m fine. The doctor said I just have to stay overnight for observations and then I can go home.”

“See, I’ve always said that your job is too dangerous” his grandmother huffed. “Now your little sister wants to be a firefighter too. The both of you must want to give your poor Granny a heart attack.”

“Don’t worry Granny, we’ll be really careful so we won’t get hurt” Selena said.

“Hmmph” was her reply. “Here, Granny brought you soup. It has a lot of healthy ingredients to help you recover and get better.”

“Thanks Granny! Once I get to eat your cooking, I’ll get better immediately. Like I’ve always said, there’s nothing better than Granny’s cooking!” She looked pleased at that although she still pretended to be mad at him. Frankie gave her a big hug. He loved his grandmother and didn’t want her to be upset.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, when visiting hours were over, Frankie got out of his bed and opened the door to his room. He looked around and when he didn’t see any nurses, he quickly made his way to Bernice’s room. Seeing her lying injured in bed made his heart ache and he fervently hoped that she was truly okay. He sat down on the chair next to her bed and watched her sleeping. Remembering how thirsty he was when he woke up, he went to wet a towel and then squeezed some water into her mouth. After that, he resumed watching her sleeping. Suddenly, he saw her eyelids fluttering and then slowly her eyes opened.

“Bernice. It’s Frankie. How are you feeling?”

“Frankie? Where am I?”

“In the hospital, you were injured in the fire.”

Her eyes widened as she slowly remembered. “I remember trying to get out of the building because the smoke was getting too thick and then I saw a little boy lying in his doorway. I tried to get him out and then I don’t remember what happened after that.”
    “You didn’t make it out” he supplied for her. “I went inside and found you and the little boy unconscious. I managed to get you guys out.”

Even though he downplayed it, the realization hit her right away. “You came in after me? You risked your life to save me?” Bernice looked at him incredulously.

“Of course I would save you” he said looking into her eyes. “I won’t let anything happen to you.”

She looked back at him, touched, blinking back tears. “Thank you” she managed to choke out.

“Hey, you don’t have to thank me. I trust you’d do the same for me, right?” he tried to joke.

She smiled but it didn’t reach her conflicted eyes.

“Is something wrong? Do you want to talk about it?” He looked so concerned and sincere that she just wanted to break down and tell him that despite fighting it with all her might, she still had feelings for him. I can’t, she shook her head. I promised Gigi. I can’t hurt my best friend.

“Nothing’s wrong” she finally said.

“Okay” he said after awhile knowing she was holding something back. “You’re feeling fine, right?” he asked.

“Yes, I feel fine.”

“Well, I’ll let you get some rest then. Do you need anything?”

“No, thank you. I’m fine.”

“Okay, I’m down the hall if you need me.”

“What about you? Are you okay?” she just realized he was also staying at the hospital.

“I’m fine” he answered. “They just want me to stay overnight but then I can leave tomorrow. But you’re gonna have to stay longer I’m afraid. They need to do more observations.”

“Okay” she sighed. “Good night.”
    “Good night.” He gave her a sweet smile before leaving her room.

Once he was gone, she let her tears fall freely.

Chapter 9

The next day, Frankie made a visit to Bernice’s room before being discharged from the hospital. “Hi Bernice, how are you feeling this morning?”

“I’m feeling fine. I wish they’d let me go home today too.”

“No way, you have to stay for a while longer so they could make sure you’re totally fine. Also, don’t leave your bed until the doctor says you can.”

“Yes mom” she said sarcastically.

He laughed. “By the way, this is Selena, my younger sister.”

“Nice to meet you Selena” Bernice smiled.

“Nice to meet you too Bernice” Selena smiled back. “I’ve heard a lot about you from big brother.”

Frankie raised his eyebrows at her. “So, do you need anything Bernice? Here’s the TV remote control and I got you some magazines just in case you get bored. Well, it’s more like Selena got you the magazines because I don’t know what you girls read.”

“Yay, these are the magazines I normally read. Thanks so much!” Bernice grinned.

“Okay, I’ll be back to see you tomorrow. I’m gonna head off now.”

“Thanks again guys. See you tomorrow Frankie” Bernice waved.

When Frankie and Selena got home to their apartment, Frankie saw Shirley standing by her door looking at them.

“Hi Frankie, I heard you were hurt and had to stay at the hospital. Too bad I wasn’t working on your floor. Are you okay?” she asked, eyeing Selena the whole time.

“Yeah I’m fine. The doctor allowed me to be discharged from the hospital today.”

“And you are?” Shirley asked Selena.

“I’m Frankie’s sister. My name is Selena. I don’t believe I’ve seen you before.”

“She’s our neighbour, Shirley. I actually rescued her from a fire about 2 months ago.”

“Interesting, you never mentioned this to me, big brother” Selena said, which made Shirley glower at her. “Anyways big brother, I think you need some rest now.”

“Okay, see you later Shirley” Frankie waved as he and Selena went into their apartment, leaving Shirley fuming behind them.

Once they were in their apartment, Selena said “she’s a little strange. Why was she eyeing me like that?”

“Yeah, she makes me feel a little uncomfortable too” Frankie agreed with her. He shrugged his shoulders, “Don’t worry about her. I’m gonna go take a shower now. Granny, we’re home!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Frankie went back to work. He definitely felt the lack of Bernice’s presence at the station. It felt like something was missing to him.

“Hey guys, I brought breakfast for everyone!”

Everyone in the station came over to him and asked how he was doing.

“You shouldn’t be back at work so soon” Raymond admonished him. “You should rest more.”

“I’m fine guys, honest” Frankie answered. “I’ve had 2 days off, that’s quite enough for me.”
    “Frankie, I brought you some soup” Gigi said. “It’s very nutritious and even has healing ingredients. And…..I made it myself.”

“Wow” exclaimed Frankie. “You, Miss never-cooked-before-in-her-life, actually made this soup? Thanks so much. I’ll drink every last drop.”

Gigi smiled at him, while Bowie glared at them. Suddenly remembering that he had to have a talk with Bowie, Frankie felt a beginning of a headache coming on. “Bowie, if you have time, I would like to speak to you.”

Bowie nodded stiffly and followed him to his desk. “Bowie, I noticed you have some sort of a problem with me. I would say it started about a month ago. Furthermore, on one of our mission, you intentionally ignored my orders. I normally wouldn’t say anything, but since this is now affecting our missions and potentially affecting the lives of our citizens, I have to address this. If there is something bothering you, please let me know.”

“Look, no one said that we have to be best friends. So, if I don’t ignore your orders in our future missions, you don’t have a problem anymore, do you?”

Frankie frowned because it was clear that Bowie had no intention of clearing up whatever the problem was between them, but as long as Bowie promised not to do anything that would affect their missions, he really couldn’t pursue it on a professional basis anymore. “Alright, if you don’t want to tell me what’s wrong, that’s fine. I can’t force you to. Don’t take this the wrong way but if I suspect that your behaviour may affect our future missions in any way, I’m going to have to officially reprimand you.”

“Yeah, I know. Can I leave now?”

Frankie sighed and nodded, his headache definitely now in full force.

Bowie walked away without another word.

“Frankie, you look tired” Gigi said coming up to him. “Maybe Raymond is right, you should’ve taken more rest instead of coming back to work so soon.”

“Gigi, I’ve seen you and Bowie talking to each other before, so you know him pretty well, don’t you?”
    Gigi was caught by surprise at Frankie’s question. “Yeah, I know him pretty well I guess” she answered.

“Okay then, maybe you might know why he has a problem with me. He’s just being very hostile with me for no reason. I mean, I don’t think I’ve done anything to offend him.”

“Don’t worry about him, he’s just very moody like that. He’s not a particularly friendly guy to anyone.” Gigi wasn't sure why she was hiding the fact that she and Bowie were dating before but she just didn’t want Frankie to know. Maybe she felt that somehow it would hurt her chances with Frankie. “Anyways, we’re good friends, maybe I’ll talk to him for you.”

“No, you don’t have to do that. I guess you’re right, I shouldn’t worry about it anymore. He said that we don’t have to be best friends and I guess he’s right.”

Just then the alarm went off. They both jumped to their feet to get ready for another mission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After his shift was over, Frankie made his way to the hospital to see Bernice. He hated to admit it, but work took more out of him than he had thought. He was feeling exhausted but his face lit up as soon as he saw Bernice. She was reading the magazines he brought her.

“Hey Bernice. How are you doing?”

“Hi Frankie! The doctor was just in and said I could probably leave tomorrow.”

“That’s great! Does that mean everything is okay, you don’t have any lingering injuries?”

“Yes, I’m all clear” she proclaimed proudly. “I can’t wait until I can finally eat real food instead of hospital food. Yuck!” she wrinkled her nose.

“Well, I happen to have food from outside” Frankie announced slyly.

“Really? What is it? Let me see! Yay, pho! I love Vietnamese food!”

Frankie smiled at her childish enthusiasm. “I love Vietnamese food too” he said. “I don’t know if you eat hot sauce so I got some on the side.”
    “Of course I eat hot sauce.” She put the whole container of hot sauce into her soup.

“Woah” he exclaimed. “And I thought I eat spicy.” He put a whole container of hot sauce into his soup as well.

As they sat and ate together, she was chatting away about what she was reading about in the magazines. “Did you know that when a guy wraps his ankles around the legs of a chair while talking to you, he’s lying to you?”

“Is that so?” he asked. They both looked down at his ankles and when they weren’t wrapped around the legs of the chair, they both laughed. “What kind of crap are you reading in those magazines?” he joked.

As they continued to eat, his face was turning more and more red and he was drinking a lot of water.

“I thought you said you can eat spicy” she teased him.

“I could….well, okay, maybe not a whole container of hot sauce like you” he laughed.

Just then, Raymond walked into the room. “Oh, hi guys.”

“Hi Ray” Frankie and Bernice said in unison.

“Bernice, I thought I’d bring you some dinner but it looks like Frankie beat me to it.”

“Yeah, I promised Bernice I would come see her today.”

“I can just eat your food later” Bernice told Ray. “Why don’t you sit down and eat with us?”

“Why don’t you guys just eat, I’m actually done” Frankie said when they all looked at each other awkwardly. “I guess I’ll be heading out now. Bye Bernice, I’m glad you can go home tomorrow. Bye, Ray, see you at the station tomorrow.”

“Bye Frankie” Bernice felt sorry to see him leaving. She really enjoyed his company.

On his way out, Frankie overheard Raymond say that he was going to come to pick up Bernice from the hospital the next day. He sighed and just like that, he went from feeling happy to feeling sad again. What a roller coaster ride, he thought. Well, it's your own fault for not being able to control your feelings, he chided himself.

Chapter 10

A week later, Bernice was already back to work, and they were having their annual Family Day as part of their Fundraising events. They had a BBQ, bake sale, and a tour where parents could bring their kids into the fire station to see the firetrucks. Frankie enjoyed these days because the kids were always so enthusiastic and in awe of the firetrucks.

“It’s great that we had a really big turnout today” Raymond said.

“Yeah, the biggest I’ve seen since I’ve been here” Bernice agreed. “Our Fundraising events are going really well this year. It must be because of our topless calendar.” Everyone laughed.

“Also, the tickets for our Formal Night are selling out too. That reminds me, the Formal Night is in 2 weeks, have you girls decided who you’re asking to be your date yet?” Raymond asked.

Frankie couldn’t help looking over at Bernice. She made eye contact with him but quickly averted her eyes when Gigi proclaimed “yes I have. What about you Bernice?”

“Umm…..yeah, I have too.”

“Great” Raymond said. “Let’s wrap up the day. Great work everyone, thanks for making this day such a success.”

Gigi turned around to Frankie and touched his arm. “Frankie, I was meaning to ask you, would you like to be my date for the Formal?”

Frankie looked at her in surprise. He glanced over at Bernice, who was talking to some kids and their parents.

“Well?” Gigi asked.

Frankie quickly looked back at her. “Gigi, I’m not too sure if I could make it” he lied.

“What? You can’t go? But it’s the biggest Fundraising event. As crew manager of our station, you’ve got to make it.”
    “I know, but I’ve got family matters. Is it okay if I let you know later?” He felt really bad lying to her but for some reason, he wanted to hold out. Why are you holding out, he thought to himself? He knew full well why and who he was holding out for.

“Okay” she pouted. “Let me know.”

“I definitely will.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Frankie was walking into the station. He rounded the corner, eyes down, deep in thought, and almost bumped into someone. When he looked up, it was Bernice.

“I’m sorry, there we go again, bumping into each other” he smiled.

“Yeah, we sure like to bump into each other” she said smiling, but then suddenly, her face saddened. She was looking at him and he could see that she was conflicted about something and was struggling with her emotions.

“Bernice, I could see that something is wrong, why won’t you tell me what it is? Maybe I could help.”

“You can’t help” she shook her head.

“Bernice, it really bothers me to see you looking so sad. Just tell me what it is.”

“Okay, you want to help? Why don’t you accept Gigi’s invitation to be her date for the Formal?“

He hesitated for a minute. “I was hoping someone else would ask me” he finally blurted out.

“I already asked Raymond to be my date” Bernice said.

His face fell and he didn’t say anything for a long time. Looking at how hurt he looked, Bernice had to struggle with herself to keep from hugging him and telling him that he was the one she really wanted to ask.

“I thought we had a special connection” he finally said in a soft voice. “I felt it since I first met you. I tried to tell myself not to get involved because it could get very complicated, just like you said, but I couldn’t suppress my feelings for you. The connection is just getting deeper. Tell me, do you feel it too?” he asked her apprehensively.

“Even if I feel it too, it doesn’t matter, because I don’t want to get involved with anyone right now. I just want to tell you that the only person I wanted to ask to be my date is Raymond.”

He let out a gasp like someone had just slapped him in the face. He looked so hurt, her heart wanted to break into a million pieces. She turned her face away from him so he couldn’t see her tears.

“I understand” he said finally. “Okay, I’ll talk to you later.” He slowly walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, after work, Frankie sat alone at a bar, downing drink after drink. I don’t want to feel anymore, anything to stop feeling, he thought to himself, downing more drinks.

“Hi” he heard a female voice say. Through his drunken stupor, he looked up and saw Shirley standing in front of him.

“Hi Shirley” he slurred, the room spinning in a circle. “Would you like to have a drink with me?”

“Yeah, sure” she replied, sitting down next to him. “Gin and tonic please” she told the bartender.

When her drink arrived, they clinked their glasses together. Frankie drained his glass in one gulp and gestured to the bartender. He put down a big bill on the bar counter. “More please.”

Across the room at the bar, Bernice also sat drinking glumly at a table. She had just seen Frankie and was about to go up to him but then she saw Shirley come up to him, so she stopped herself. Who is she, why does she look so familiar, she wondered? Oh right, she’s the lady Frankie rescued at that fire and then she came into the station to thank him. I didn’t know they knew each other. Suddenly, she saw the lady yanking a very visibly drunk Frankie up from his chair and then supporting him, they left the bar together. She desperately wanted to go up and talk to him but she held herself back, thinking that it was none of her business. She watched sadly as they disappeared through the door.

“I’m fine, I could drink more. Let’s drink more!” Frankie laughed as he staggered down the street with Shirley holding onto him.

“Sure, how about we go to my place and then you can drink more?” Shirley suggested.

“Really, we could drink more at your place? Okay.” He stumbled and she caught him before he fell.

“Come on” she said. “Let’s go in my car.” She helped him into her car.

She started to drive but instead of heading towards their apartment building, she made a complete opposite turn and headed in another direction; not that he was offering any resistance. She glanced over at him and saw that he had passed out. She smiled deviously and thought to herself, this is working out even more easily than I thought.
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-02-10 at 11:30 PM.

Great start. Keep up the hard work. The waxing part was fun, never thought about waxing one of my guy friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Great start. Keep up the hard work. The waxing part was fun, never thought about waxing one of my guy friends.
    Thanks for reading and commenting. There is a lot more to come. I didn't do it myself but I watched a guy friend of mine get his chest waxed, it was pretty funny when he screamed. I know, I'm so mean and unsympathetic.

Warning: There is some graphic violence in this chapter.

Chapter 11

Frankie groaned when he woke up to a pounding headache. He opened his eyes and squinted when a ray of sunlight hit him in the face, intensifying the headache. I’m never going to drink again, he thought to himself. Wait, where am I? He looked around but he was in a totally unfamiliar room. He kicked off the blanket and was about to get up off the bed when he noticed his hands were chained to the bed posts on either side. What the? He yanked and struggled against the chain cuffs but the bed posts were made of iron and securely attached to the floor. There was no way he could break the posts. What the hell is going on, he thought?

Just then, Shirley walked into the room with a tray of food and water. She had a strange smile on her face. “Are you hungry?” she asked him.

“Shirley, what are you doing? Why am I chained to the bed?”

“Well, I gave you a chance to get to know me but you didn’t so this is the only way we could be together.”

“Is this a joke Shirley? You can let me go now.”

“Whether you want to or not, we were destined to be together. Why do you think God allowed you to save my life?” She started to peel the skin of an apple with a knife.

Looking at her maniacal eyes, it was beginning to dawn on him that this was no joke and she meant every word she was saying. “Shirley, you can’t keep me here against my will, that’s criminal and you will be charged for this.”

“Who’s going to find you here? Do you know where we are? We are very far away from the city in a very remote area. No one will know to look for you here.”

“Shirley, my family is going to notice me missing and will call the police. They’ll eventually find me and you’ll get arrested for kidnapping. If you let me go now, I’ll just pretend this never happened.”

“You and I belong together so do us both a favour and be a good boy. Here, eat some apple.” She put the piece of apple to his mouth but he turned his head away.

“I’m not hungry” he said. Thump! He jumped when she stabbed the knife onto the night table. He looked up at her in shock, realizing more and more that his predicament was more serious than he thought.

“Look, you better be a good boy and listen to me or else you’ll be sorry” she said angrily. “Now eat!” He stubbornly turned his head away again. “Fine, you can starve then!” She stomped away out of the room.

As soon as she was gone, he started yanking his chains again, pulling with all his might. The posts were definitely not moving so he finally gave up. His hands were all red and chaffed from all the yanking and struggling. He sighed. Finally, he started yelling, “Help! Somebody help me! Help, I’m being held against my will!!!!!!!” He stopped yelling when he heard the door opening.

Shirley walked into the room wearing her nursing uniform. “Stop your shouting! No one is going to hear you. There’s no one around here!” she yelled. “I’m going to work now. You be a good boy and wait for me to get back.”

“Shirley, let me go. Don’t do this. Let me go!” he shouted frustratingly yanking on his chains again. By now, his hands were all red and sore but he didn’t care.

“Okay, you leave me no choice. I told you to behave but I can see that you won’t.” She opened a medical kit and took out a needle.

His eyes widened as she made her way to him. “Stay away! Don’t come near me! What is that? What is that!?” he backed away from her but she kept advancing. When she got within reach of him, he swung his leg and kicked her, sending her sprawling back.

Her face screwed up in anger. “You’ll be sorry you did that!” she shouted. She grabbed a baseball bat and struck him in the legs. He cried out in pain. She then struck him again, this time in the stomach. He curled up in pain and panted for breath as he felt like the air was knocked out of him. She took this opportunity to push his sleeves up and jab the needle into his upper arm. He groaned and shook his head as he felt the effects of the drug, making him feel dizzy. His vision wavered in and out until finally, he gave in to unconsciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That’s really strange, thought Raymond. Frankie wouldn’t not show up for work without calling or anything. He heard a knock on his office door. “Come in” he said.

Bernice and Gigi walked in, both with worried expressions.

“Well, did you hear anything about Frankie yet?” Gigi asked.

“Are you sure he didn’t tell you he couldn’t make it in today? Maybe he told you a while ago but you forgot” Bernice suggested.

“I really don’t recall him saying anything about missing work today. I called his house and got his grandmother. She said he wasn’t home and thought he had come into work.”

Bernice thought about Frankie at the bar last night, leaving with that lady. Could it be that he was just too hungover to go to work and forgot to call? Is he with that lady right now? She felt a twinge of jealousy but she was also confused. She wasn’t sure if she should say anything because if he truly was just hungover, he probably wouldn’t be too happy if she tattled on him. Maybe they should just wait and see. “Let us know if you hear anything” Bernice said.

“Okay” Raymond nodded.

By the end of the shift, Bernice was really worried for Frankie when there was still no news from him. Just then, Raymond came up to her. “Frankie’s sister just called. She just got home from school. She said Frankie didn’t come home last night and was really surprised that he didn’t come into work. She was adamant that there must be something wrong because he wouldn’t miss work without calling.”

“I’m going over to his place. I want to talk to his sister” Bernice said.

“Do you want me to come with you?” Raymond asked.

“No, it’s okay. I want to talk to his sister alone anyways.”

Raymond nodded and said “okay, let me know if you guys find out anything.”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bernice rang the doorbell to Frankie’s apartment and waited. Selena opened the door, looking very frustrated.

“Hi Bernice” she said surprised. “What brings you here?”

“Hi Selena, I wanted to know if you’ve heard from Frankie yet?”

Selena sighed. “Come in and sit down.” After they were seated, she continued, “no, we still haven’t heard from Frankie but it’s not like him to not call us to let us know where he is. I called the police and they asked me if he had any enemies or someone who would hurt him and when I said no, they told me to wait 48 hours before making an official missing report. Can you believe it? I told them I think something is wrong but they didn’t seem to take me seriously and told me to wait 48 hours. I’m really worried for big brother. Where could he be? He hadn’t been home since going to work yesterday morning. So it has already been more than 24 hours since I’ve seen him. I hope he’s alright.” She was wringing her hands and her brows were furrowed with worry.

“I saw him last night at the bar” Bernice confessed.

“What? You saw him last night?” asked Selena. “Maybe you were the last person who saw him?”

“No, he left the bar with a woman” Bernice continued. “She should be the last person who saw him or she might still be with him right now.”

“Wait, big brother would never go home with some random woman.”

“No, they knew each other. Actually I’ve seen her before too. He rescued her from a fire about 2 months ago and then a few weeks later, she came into the station to thank him.”

“But big brother has rescued so many ladies. Do you know her name?”

“No, I don’t. Wait! Maybe Gigi will remember her name. The lady gave Frankie a piece of paper with her name and phone number on it. Gigi took it and threw it away. She might remember the name on it.” Bernice took out her cellphone and dialed Gigi’s number.
    “Hello, Gigi? It’s Bernice. No, we haven’t heard from Frankie yet but we might have a clue. Do you remember the name of the lady who came into the station to thank Frankie for rescuing her and then she gave him her number? Yeah, that one…..Shirley Yeung? Okay, great. I’ll let you know if we hear anything. Thanks.”

“Wait a minute, I know a Shirley. She’s our neighbour and big brother did mention that he rescued her before. We must be talking about the same person. Let’s go talk to her.”

Bernice followed Selena to Shirley’s apartment door. Selena knocked and waited. She knocked again and then again. No one answered. Selena sighed. “She’s not home. We have to find her. She’s the last one who saw big brother.”

Bernice nodded. “How are we going to find her?”

“I’ll keep a look-out for her. She has to come home sometime, right?”

“Okay, let me know if you talk to her. I’ll go home now. Bye.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frankie opened his eyes and looked around. He groaned when he saw that he was in the same room. So this isn’t just a bad dream, he lamented. He turned his head and saw Shirley sitting there watching him.

“Would you like a drink of water?” she asked.

He licked his parched lips and realized that he was really thirsty. He wanted to ignore her but his need for water finally won out. “Yes” he nodded.

She smiled triumphantly and gave him some water. “I have a surprise for you. I cooked us some dinner and I’m going to let you come to the table to eat it.” He perked up when he heard that she was going to release him from the chains. As if she read his mind, she said “don’t think I’m stupid. I’m not going to just let you go like that.” She took out another needle.

He shook his head. “No, don’t. I’ll behave. I promise.”

“Do you really think I’m that stupid? Why don’t you just save yourself the trouble and give me your arm?” she said impatiently.

He sighed and didn’t resist when she pulled up his sleeve and jabbed the needle into his arm. “I need to go to the bathroom” he said.

She took out a key from her pocket and started to unlock the chains as he looked in anticipation. Finally, he was free. His first instinct was to run but then his legs suddenly felt like jelly. Why isn’t my body listening to my brain, he thought? With her supporting him, he got up off the bed and slowly stumbled to the bathroom.

“Do you need me to go in with you?” she smirked.

“No” he managed to blurt out with difficulty because it felt like his tongue was dead weight. What did she give me, he thought? It felt like his limbs were lead and it took forever for his body to respond to his brain’s instructions. It took a lot of fumbling before he was able to get his pants undone so he could do his business. When he was done, he leaned against the sink for support and slowly washed his hands. Finally, he looked around the bathroom to see if there was any way to escape but the window was really high up the wall and incredibly small. He sighed, escaping is going to be very difficult.

“You done in there?” Shirley called impatiently. Without waiting for his answer, she opened the bathroom door. He nodded to her and she took his arms to help him walk over to the table. She had laid out a lot of food on the table but he didn’t have any appetite even though he hadn’t eaten for more than a day. He noted that the door wasn’t too far from the table. When they reached the table, she let him sit down and started to serve the food. Taking this opportunity, he summoned all his strength and tipped the table, sending all the food crashing to the floor. He ran as fast as he could and lunged for the door. His hands shook as he fumbled with the doorknob. Suddenly, he felt a sharp pain at the back of his head, and fell to the floor, stunned. Shirley, stood over him, with a broken beer bottle in her hand, her face snarled in fury.

“Why do you insist on leaving me?!” she yelled. “Don’t you see that we are meant to be together? Why don’t you just behave and make things easier for us? I’m going to have to punish you now!”

This was the first time he truly felt a stab of fear; looking at her ranting, he could see madness in her eyes. She was beyond reason and there was a real chance that she could kill him. He probably should’ve just done whatever she asked to appease her and bide for time. It was too late though and he was helpless as she forced him to his feet and back to the bed. She relocked the chains around his hands and then took out a carving knife. He winced when she put the knife to his face. Then she slowly slid the knife blade down to his throat. He closed his eyes and swallowed, his throat feeling very dry and his head pounding from the blow she gave him. He felt the blade going down to his chest and then she applied pressure, cutting the skin there. He let out a gasp as she slid the blade across his chest, feeling the blood oozing out of the wound.

“Each time you misbehave, I’m going to give you a cut. Each time the cut will get deeper and deeper. You better behave if you don’t want to die” she said menacingly. “Do you hear me??”

He nodded weakly, defeated. His head pounding, the wound on his chest burning, and the effects of the drug in his veins began to take their toll and he just let himself drift off into oblivion.

Chapter 12

Bernice updated Gigi on everything she knew as both girls made their way to Frankie’s apartment. Bernice knocked the door and they waited. Selena opened the door for them with a grim face.

“You still haven’t heard from Frankie, have you?” Bernice asked worriedly.

Selena shook her head. “I filed an official missing person report because it’s now been over 48 hours. The police are looking into it now. I stressed to them that there has to be something wrong because there is no way that Frankie would just take off and not call us.”

“What about the Shirley girl?” asked Gigi. “Have you talked to her yet?”

“No, I’ve been on the lookout for her for the last 2 days but she hasn’t been home yet.”

“That’s really strange” said Bernice. “She’s also missing. Maybe you should ask the police if there has been a missing report for her.”

Selena nodded. “That’s a good idea. I have a strong feeling that something is very wrong. I’m so scared that they’re going to find big brother’s body in a ditch or something.” She broke down and started sobbing.

Bernice hugged her and cried too. She also had a feeling that something was wrong. Please let him be okay, she prayed.

Gigi, with tears in her eyes, was determined to find Frankie. Being from a rich family, her plan was to hire a private detective. She knew the police wouldn’t work as fast and as thoroughly as a private detective; especially one that is handsomely paid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gigi’s cellphone rang and she anxiously answered it. “Hello? Dectective Chan? Do you have some new info?” Detective Chan confirmed Bernice’s story that Frankie was last seen at the bar. The bar’s surveillance camera showed him and Shirley leaving the bar together at 11:20pm two nights ago. His car was found still parked in the bar’s parking lot. So, he didn’t drive that night. It is highly likely that Shirley drove them somewhere. The detective, now, focusing on Shirley, found out that she is a nurse at Mount Sinai Hospital and that she is still showing up to work. “Great job” Gigi said. “Keep searching for any clues to help us find Frankie. Okay bye.”

Early the next morning, Gigi called in sick to work and stood around the nursing station, where Detective Chan told her Shirley was supposed to be working that day, pretending to be visiting someone at the hospital. She waited for about half an hour when suddenly, Shirley came walking to the nursing station. Even though Shirley probably didn’t recognize her, Gigi still turned her head around so Shirley didn’t see her.

For the whole day, Gigi watched Shirley in secret, until her shift was finally over and she made her way to her car. Gigi followed Shirley to her car and quickly jumped into her own car to follow her. Wow, this is a long drive, thought Gigi as she drove after Shirley. What is this place we’re going to? It’s so far and remote from the city. Suddenly, Shirley turned into a driveway that was very inconspicuous; if you didn’t know it was there, it was very easy to miss. Gigi followed her and soon a small cottage came into view. Gigi parked her car and slowly made her way to the door of the cottage. It was slightly opened. She opened the door further and quietly walked into the cottage and looked around, not seeing anyone. Suddenly, she saw a bed at the far corner of the room and there lying on the bed was Frankie with his eyes closed. Gigi ran to him and her eyes widened in horror when she got closer. His hair was matted with dried blood, he had several long cuts on his chest, some quite deep and oozing with blood, meaning they were quite fresh. His hands and wrists were red, chaffed, and swollen. There were also bruises on his legs, making his legs an array of colours ranging from purple to blue to red to yellow.

Gigi started crying as she shook him. “Oh my god, Frankie, Frankie, what did she do to you?”

His eyes fluttered open but they seemed to be glazed and disoriented. Still, after a while, recognition came into his eyes as he stared at her. “Gigi? Is that you? Am I hallucinating now?” he asked in a weak voice.

“No, you’re not hallucinating. It’s me, Gigi” she said, tears running down her face. “Don’t worry, I’m going to get you out of here.”

“Shirley, where’s Shirley?” he asked.

“Right here” a voice said from behind them. Frankie’s eyes widened in horror as he saw Shirley standing behind Gigi with a knife. Gigi didn’t even have time to turn around before Shirley stabbed her in the back.

“Ahhhhh”, Gig screamed as the knife plunged into her back and came out again as Shirley lifted the knife up to stab her again.

Gigi collapsed on Frankie and he put his arm around her protectively and begged Shirley, “No, please don’t kill her, no Shirley, please! I’ll do whatever you want!”

“Do you think I’ll let her go now that she knows we’re here? No one could pull us apart! No one can separate us!” she shouted, laughing like a lunatic.

Just as she brought the knife down again to fatally stab Gigi, a gunshot was heard. Shirley had a look of surprise on her face as she fell down. Frankie could tell she was dead and felt a wave of nausea wash through him. He turned towards Gigi, “Gigi, are you okay? Are you okay?”

She nodded weakly and hugged him.

“You both need immediate medical attention” Detective Chan said. “I’ve called the police and ambulance. It’s a good thing I found my way here when I did or else Miss Lai, I don’t think you’d be around to get Frankie out of here. Don’t be so rash next time and come here alone.”

“I didn’t exactly have the time to call anyone, I had to follow her” she defended herself and then winced in pain from her wound.

Just then, sirens could be heard and minutes later, the police and paramedics made their way towards them. Thank goodness this nightmare is over, thought Frankie as the paramedics cut the chains off his wrists, strapped him onto the gurney and hoisted him onto the ambulance. A minute later, Gigi was also hoisted onto the ambulance beside him. She smiled at him and reached out her hand. He smiled back and held her hand. “Thanks for saving me” he whispered. Finally, he couldn’t hold back his tears, feeling them run down his face towards his ears as he lied on the gurney. He felt exhausted, both emotionally and physically and he closed his eyes, letting the darkness claim him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“How is my brother?” Selena asked the doctor frantically. She and Bernice had rushed to the hospital as soon as they received news that Gigi had found Frankie and that they were both taken to the hospital.

“He is severely dehydrated from inadequate fluid intake and from blood loss, malnourished because he hasn’t eaten in several days, has a serious wound at the back of his head, has wounds on his hands and wrists, has several deep cuts on his chest and bruises on his legs and abdomen, and worse of all, he’s been pumped with unsafe doses of barbiturates and sedatives in a very short period of time. If this had gone on for longer, I’m sure he would not have made it. However, we got to him just on time, and being young and fit, he is likely not in critical danger right now but still requires intensive care. He will need a lot of rest to recuperate. We’re replenishing his fluids with saline, giving him total parental nutrition, and have taken care of his wounds so they don’t get infected. Because it has been a relatively short period of time, I don’t think there is fear of barbiturate and sedative withdrawal but his body will need to get rid of all the drugs from his system and recuperate from the effects all the drugs has had on it.”

Selena and Bernice cried at the doctor’s words. They couldn’t believe the torture that Shirley had put him through.

“How is Gigi?” Bernice asked.

“She was stabbed in the back. Luckily her wound wasn’t too deep so she should be fine in a few days.”

“Thank you doctor. May we see them now?” Selena asked sniffing.

“Yes you may. They’re both in this room” the doctor gestured to the room behind him and then left.

Selena and Bernice walked into the room and saw Gigi awake in her bed, surrounded by her family members. Bernice ran to Gigi and hugged her. “How are you feeling?”

Gigi cried and hugged Bernice back. “I’m fine. The wound hurts but they gave me pain killers so I’m fine. I just have to take it easy for a few days for it to heal. But Frankie, he’s really bad. Oh my god, there was so much blood when I first saw him.” She cried harder and Bernice hugged her again, also crying. Bernice then walked over to Frankie’s bed. He hadn’t woken up yet, his head was bandaged and his face was really pale, ashen and sickly. Bernice and Selena held each other crying as they looked at Frankie, imagining the horrors he had been through.

“Does your Granny know about this?” Bernice asked Selena.

Selena shook her head. “No, I’m not going to tell her. She has a weak heart. If she sees him like this, she’ll probably have a heart attack. I’m just going to tell her he’s okay, and the doctors just want to keep him at the hospital for observations.”

Bernice nodded in agreement. She desperately wanted to stay with him at the hospital but looking at Gigi, she decided that it was best that she left. Giving Gigi another hug, she said bye to everyone, gazed at Frankie sadly, and left.

Chapter 13

It has been 2 days and Frankie still hadn’t woken up. The doctor told Selena and Gigi that his body needed to heal so it wasn’t a surprise that he was still not awake. Selena and her Granny had just gone home after spending the day at Frankie’s bedside. Bernice and Raymond had also dropped by earlier. Now, things were quiet as visiting hours were over. Gigi sat beside Frankie’s bed watching him sleep and holding his hand. Suddenly, she felt his fingers moving slightly. His eyes slowly opened and he turned to look at who was holding his hand.

“Frankie, you’re awake!” Gigi exclaimed.

“Where am I?” he asked, shifting to a sitting position.

“Don’t sit up, you should be resting” Gigi said but he insisted on sitting up so she helped him. “You’re in the hospital right now.”

“Gigi? Are you alright?” he asked her, his memory foggily coming back to him.

“Yes, I’m fine” she answered. “How are you feeling?”

“Great” he smiled.

“How can you joke around at a moment like this?” she laughed shaking her head.

“I remember you were stabbed. Are you sure you’re totally fine?” he asked worriedly.

“Yes, I’m totally fine. Luckily, the wound wasn’t too deep. I should be good as new in a few days” she answered.

“Shirley is dead, isn’t she?”

“Yes.”

He nodded with mixed feelings. On the one hand, he was glad this ordeal was over and that Shirley wouldn’t be a threat to him anymore, but on the other hand, he felt a certain sadness that someone he knew turned out like that and was now dead. He was sure that her mental condition was either caused by or exacerbated by her near-death experience in the fire. He had always had faith in humanity and chose to believe that people were inherently good. After this, his beliefs have been shaken, leaving him confused and disoriented. He knew that the emotional healing would take much longer than the physical healing. He looked at Gigi and felt a new connection with her. He was very touched that she had risked her life to save him.

“Thank you for saving me” he told Gigi.

“You don’t have to thank me. I’m sure you know how I feel about you, don’t you?” she looked at him earnestly.

He looked down and didn’t say anything.

She decided to change the subject “your sister and grandmother were here all day today but left because visiting hours were over. We told your grandmother that you were fine and just needed some rest so she wouldn’t be too worried. Bernice and Raymond also came by to visit you. Oh, they’re the cutest couple. They look so good together, I’m so glad they’re going out.”

“They’re going out?” Frankie asked, his face more sad and resigned than surprised.

“Yes, they’re going out. They’re going to the Formal together next week. Oh, by the way……you never answered me whether or not you’d be my date for the Formal.”

He looked at her for a long time. Finally, he said “I probably won’t be able to go, but why don’t you go? When are you being discharged?”

“I’m being discharged tomorrow but I’m not going to the Formal if you’re not going.” She looked into his eyes. “You haven’t answered my question yet. I want you to answer my question.”

He didn’t answer for a long time, seemingly deep in thought, struggling to make a decision. One thing this whole ordeal reminded him was not to take anything for granted. One’s life is so delicate and could be snuffed out in a second. Gigi is a great girl, he thought, and she had risked her life for him, which really touched him. Also, he really felt a connection with her now, especially when they held hands in the ambulance. Finally, he looked up at her and said “yes, I would like to be your date” and took her hands in his.

She smiled widely and hugged him. “Oh Frankie, I’m so happy.”

He smiled and hugged her back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frankie rolled around in his bed. He was getting really restless. He has been in the hospital for 6 days now and desperately wanted to go home. Gigi had been discharged 3 days ago but she has come in everyday to see him and even spends the whole day with him. He smiled thinking how caring she has been towards him and he didn’t regret his decision to go out with her. Despite that, deep in his heart, he knew that he still had feelings for Bernice. Once you love someone, it was hard to get over that person. He shook his head, what was the point of thinking about that now? He should be happy for Bernice and Raymond. Suddenly, someone walked into the room and expecting to see Gigi, he was really surprised to see Bernice.

“Hi” she said shyly.

He continued to look at her in shock but then snapped himself out of it. “Hi Bernice, how are you?”

“I’m good. I came to see how you’re doing.”

“I’m doing fine. I seriously think I should be allowed to go home but the doctors want me to stay a few more days. Well, I guess sometimes I feel a little nauseous. The doctors say it’s the side effects of the drugs. Um…sorry, I’m blabbing again, aren’t I?” he smiled nervously.

“We were really worried about you, you know?” Bernice said. “You were in really bad shape when they found you.”

“Yeah, Gigi reminds me all the time. I’m sorry she had to find me like that. I think the poor girl was traumatized by it.”

“Well, YOU’RE the one that should be traumatized by it. Are you receiving any type of counseling?”

“The doctors offered but I refused. It’ll take some time to get over it completely but I know I’ll be fine” he smiled but it was strained.

“I brought you some food because I’m sure the hospital food is horrible” she grinned.

“Yeah, hospital food blows” he made a gagging sound.

She laughed. “Well, I got Vietnamese food for us again.”

He looked at her confused. Why is she being so nice to me, he wondered? No, I need to stop reading too much into nothing. She’s just being a good friend, he tried to convince himself. But suddenly, the ache in his heart was back; the terrible ache that he was trying to drink away on that fateful night at the bar. Just when he thought he could move on and be happy with Gigi, Bernice’s presence was sending him into a tailspin again. Just stop it, he told himself. You need to get over it now. He managed a smile, “thanks, I love Vietnamese food.”

They both started to eat.

“So when’s the Formal again?” Frankie asked.

“It’s in a few days” Bernice answered. “I’m going with Ray.”

He nodded, “yeah, you told me that before….before this whole ordeal.”

“Are you going?” Bernice asked him.

“It depends if the doctors let me go home soon. I think they should let me go home tomorrow personally.”

“No way, it’s only been less than a week and you want to go home? It’s better to stay at the hospital to make sure everything is okay” she said sternly.

“So it’s your turn to play “mom”, isn’t it?” he joked.

She laughed. “Yup, and you better listen to me” she joked back.

He chuckled but then changed to a serious tone again “you’ll probably be happy to know that if I can make it to the Formal, I would be going with Gigi.” He looked her in the eyes.

“What makes you think I’d be happy?” she asked looking away.

“You wanted me to go out with her, remember?”

Bernice felt a stab of pain in her chest and turned away from him, tears smarting her eyes. She has sent the person she was falling in love with into the arms of her best friend. Well, that’s what she wanted, right? Gigi was her best friend and she had promised to help Gigi and now she has, so she should be happy, just like he said. Forcing herself to smile, she turned to him and said, “I’m really happy for you guys. Are you guys going out now?”

“Yes we are. Gigi’s a great girl. Thank you for pushing us to be together” he said ambivalently.

She wasn’t sure if he was really thanking her for pushing them together or if he was mad at her and was being sarcastic. But then he gave her a smile and she knew he wasn’t mad at her, although she was sure she saw a bit of sadness in his eyes.

“Thanks again for the food” he said. “It was great. You saved me from yucky hospital food today.”

“Well, I better get going then, you need to rest.”

“I’m so sick of resting” he sighed. “Anyways, see you soon and say hi to Ray for me.”

“Okay, bye” Bernice frowned a little as she left because she wasn’t sure why he asked her to say hi to Ray for him. He made it sound like they were together but they weren’t. Just because they were going to the Formal together didn’t mean they were actually going out. Where did he get that idea, she wondered?
    Last edited by magnoliaewan; 03-15-10 at 10:03 PM.

Chapter 14

Frankie was so ecstatic that he was going home today, he was practically bouncing off his seat. Selena was driving him and Gigi to pick up his car at the bar. Selena had called the bar owner and explained the situation so he let the car remain there without calling authorities. When they got to the bar’s parking lot, he and Gigi got out of Selena’s car.

“What are you up to today, little sis?” Frankie asked.

“I’m studying for my firefighter examination, it’s next week already. By the way, I still have some questions to ask you about it.”

“Okay, I’ll help you tonight” Frankie said.

“You better, every time you say that, you manage to get into some sort of trouble” Selena teased.

“I promise this time” he chuckled.

After Selena drove off, Frankie turned to Gigi. “So what do you want to do today?”

“You choose” Gigi said.

“How about we go spend time with my Granny? I really miss her and of course, I miss her cooking.”

“No, I’m not in the mood to eat her kind of food” Gigi pouted.

“Okay, what do you feel like eating then?” he asked.

“How about Mexican food?” Gigi brightened up.

“Sure, whatever you want” he laughed. “I love how you always tell me to choose but end up choosing yourself” he teased her.

“Stop teasing me”, she hit him playfully.

After dinner, Frankie drove Gigi home. He walked her up to her door. When they got there, she looked up at him expectedly. He leaned down to kiss her but then he frozed. Bernice’s image suddenly came to his mind. He ended up giving her a peck on the cheek. “Get some rest. I’ll see you tomorrow” he said. “Pick you up at six for the Formal.”

She looked disappointed. “Fine” she stomped into her house.

He sighed, feeling really bad, but he needed more time to get over Bernice. He didn’t want to take things too quickly anyways. His last relationship ended badly and left him broken-hearted so there was always an element of caution with him. He never really talked about his last relationship with anyone, except for Selena. Now, the whole thing with Bernice has also left him broken-hearted and he really didn’t feel like going through another heartache again.

He drove to his apartment building and opened the door to his apartment, feeling so happy to be home. “Granny! I’m home!” His grandmother came out of the kitchen. He ran to her and gave her a big hug and kiss on the cheek.

“What are you doing boy? Are you trying to squeeze your Granny to death?” she laughed.

“Sorry, I’m just really glad to be home Granny.”

“Are you eating? I cooked all your favourite food. Why did you get home so late?”

“Sorry Granny, my girlfriend wanted to go out for dinner so we ate already.”

She looked disappointed but then perked up when she heard him say he has a girlfriend. “You have a girlfriend? It’s about time….since your last girlfriend. When are you going to bring her to meet your Granny?”

“I was going to this evening but like I said, we ended up eating out. Don’t worry, there are going to be plenty of opportunities for you to meet her. She’s a really nice girl. Her name is Gigi and she’s actually my co-worker.”

Just then, Selena came home. “Hi Granny. Hi brother, home already?”

“Yup, I promised to help you for your exam and this time, I finally made it.”
    “Thank goodness, because I really need your help.”

Later that evening, Frankie was helping Selena with her studying when she finally put her book down and looked at him.

“What?” he asked.

“So what made you decide to go out with Gigi?” she asked. “I know you’re in love with Bernice.”

He didn’t miss that she used the present tense. “Bernice is going out with Ray. Besides, I’ve always thought Gigi is a great girl. She’s beautiful too, what’s there not to like?”

“Are you sure Bernice is going out with Ray? Because I could tell Bernice has feelings for you too.”

“Sel, you need to stop making all these speculations. Bernice obviously likes Ray.”

“I’m good at telling these things, Big Brother.” She looked at him and decided to back off when she saw confusion and despair on his face. “Okay, maybe I’m wrong – although I’ve never been wrong before – but just promise me one thing. Whatever you decide, make sure you’re happy, that’s all. You know you can always confide in me, right?”

“Yeah, I know, thanks little sis.” He patted her head.

“Hey, I hate when you do that” she said ducking her head.

He laughed, “that’s what little sisters are for.”

“Yeah, well big brothers are for annoying their little sisters” she joked.

“Hey, I’m the one helping you out right now. You’re supposed to be nice to me.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll be nice because I have another question about the exam.” He pretended to walk away, she laughed and pulled him back.

For the rest of the night, Frankie helped Selena study for her upcoming exam. Although he had trepidations about her becoming a firefighter, he secretly thought she would make a great one and was really proud of her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Frankie went back to work. Everyone came over to him and welcomed him back and asked him how he was doing, including Bowie. He was surprised but he guessed maybe Bowie felt sorry for him after what he had been through.

“Thanks, I’m feeling fine” he smiled. “So is there anything new around here?”

“Nope it’s the same old same old” replied Raymond. “I also would’ve told you to stay at home and rest longer instead of coming back to work but I’m sure you would give me the same old answer that you’ve had enough rest.”

“Wow, I didn’t know my superior knew me so well” Frankie remarked. “And yes, I’ve had more than enough rest. If I rest anymore, I’ll grow roots and a trunk and start sprouting leaves.”

“Well, it’s good to have you back” Raymond laughed patting him on the back. “I’ll be in my office, call me if you need me.”

“Hey Frankie” Bernice smiled at him.

“Hey Bernice” he smiled back at her.

“Personally, I think it’s too soon for you to go back to work. Our job could be pretty physical, you know?”

Frankie laughed. “Since when did you become such a mother hen?” he teased her.

“I’m just concerned, that’s all. Just make sure all your wounds are fully healed.”

He stared at her for a while. There I go again, he thought, reading more into things than I should. It’s normal for friends to be concerned about each other.

Just then, Gigi walked into the station. She came up to Bernice and Frankie. “Hi Bernice, hi honey” she wrapped her arms around his waist.

Frankie looked at Bernice uneasily. “Hi Gigi.”

Gigi turned to Bernice, “Bernice, do you have everything you need for the Formal this evening? I need to get new earrings to go with my dress. Want to go shopping after our shifts this afternoon?”

“Okay” Bernice nodded.

Frankie smiled. “Well, I’ll leave you girls to talk. I have a crap load of paperwork to catch up on. Don’t say bad things about me behind my back” he joked walking away.

“Of course we will” Gigi laughed. Bernice smiled, she was glad he still had his sense of humour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At 6:00pm that evening, Frankie rang the doorbell to Gigi’s house holding a huge bouquet of flowers. He felt kind of awkward, like he was in high school going to prom again. It didn’t help that it had been a while since he dated anyone. The door opened and the housekeeper greeted him, ushering him in.

“Sit down and wait for Missis; her parents are away on business again. Would you like a drink?”

“No, I’m fine, thanks” he sat down on the couch and waited.

Ten minutes later, she came downstairs all decked out in her evening gown. His breath caught as he stared at her, she looked really beautiful.

“You look beautiful” he said as he got up and kissed her on the cheek. “Hope you like these” he gave her the bouquet of flowers.

“Thanks, they’re gorgeous but you were supposed to get me a corsage” she pouted.

“Oh, I’m sorry. We can still go get one.”

“Okay” she smiled. “I want one on my wrist.”

“That is so high school” he teased her.

“Well, it’s fun to be so high school” she laughed.

Just then, Bernice came downstairs in her evening gown. Frankie frozed and stared at Bernice in surprise. His breath caught again because she looked absolutely stunning in her evening gown. Although Gigi was just as beautiful, if not more beautiful than Bernice to some; to Frankie, Bernice was the most beautiful woman he’s ever seen. He couldn’t help staring at her.

“Hi Frankie” Bernice said.

Gigi frowned when he continued to stare at Bernice. “Bernice came here to get ready together with me” she said. “Raymond should be here any minute now.”

As if on cue, the doorbell rang. The housekeeper opened the door and Raymond came walking in, looking very fine in his tuxedo. He had a corsage in his hand.

“Hey guys” he smiled. “You girls look gorgeous. Looks like everyone is ready to go.”

“No…Frankie didn’t get me a corsage so we have to go get one now” Gigi pouted.

“Wow, the bouquet you got her is so beautiful” Bernice said to Frankie. He smiled at her gratefully.

“Here, this is for you” Raymond said, putting the corsage on Bernice’s wrist.

“Thanks, it’s lovely” she said.

“So, do you guys want to go in the same car?” Frankie asked.

“No” Gigi said. “We have to go get the corsage like I said so why don’t you guys go first.”

“Alright, see you guys there” Raymond said, offering Bernice his arm. She took it and they started walking out to his car.

Gigi grabbed Frankie’s arm and started chattering away about how fun it was to get all dressed up and how nice the venue will be as they walked to his car.

When they got to the Formal, Frankie had to admit to himself that the ambiance was really nice and it was great seeing everyone all dressed up and looking really good. He was so used to seeing everyone in their firefighter uniforms.

Frankie was really beginning to enjoy himself as the evening went by. The music was soothing and the dinner was very gourmet and delicious. He looked at Gigi and smiled, holding her hands.

“Oh a slow song, let’s dance” Gigi grabbed his arms and pulled him onto the dance floor.

Over at the next table, Raymond asked Bernice, “are you enjoying yourself tonight?”

“Yeah, it’s lovely here” she answered.

“You look very beautiful tonight” he complimented her.

“You look pretty dashing yourself” she replied. She looked over at Frankie and Gigi and sighed.

“You have feelings for him, don’t you?” Raymond asked.

“No, I don’t” she quickly denied.

“Bernice, I’ve known you for over 2 years now. You can confide in me, you know? What are you going to do now?”

“Nothing, I’m happy for them. I’ll be fine. What about you? How’s your love life going?”

“Well….there has been a lot of prospects but I’ve been holding out for a special somebody. We once had something going but then she told me she didn’t want to complicate things because we’re co-workers, but being the romantic that I am, I’m still holding out for her.”

She knew he was talking about her, “stop being so silly with the cryptic talk. I did have feelings for you before but it didn’t really work out and being colleagues, I didn’t want to complicate things. We’re great as friends. Your special someone will come soon Mr. Romantic.”

Ray laughed and they continued to chat as Frankie looked over at them. They seemed really happy together, he thought smiling to himself. He was happy for them. One day, the ache in his heart whenever he looks at Bernice, will go away, he hoped. For now, he should be content that he had a great girlfriend and that Bernice was happy with Ray, who was a good friend and a great guy.

Chapter 15

A month later, Frankie hugged Selena when she told him she had passed the firefighter written examination, physical agility examination, medical examination, and psychological examination.

“Awesome! I knew you would pass those exams easily, little sis!” They high-fived.

“Well, thanks for your help” she said. “I’m going to go for training now and then I should be able to apply for a job.”

“Where will you work?” Frankie asked.

“Are there any openings at your station?” she asked.

“No, I don’t think so….but actually, that’s a great idea! If you could work with me, I’d be less worried about you. Okay, I’m going to ask Raymond. He’ll help me for sure” he winked at her.

“That’ll be great. The training course is for 6 weeks then I’m going to be a firefighter! Woohoo!”

Frankie laughed at her enthusiasm. “Okay, see you later, I’m off to work. Bye Granny!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frankie was on the fire ladder dousing flames from a 12-storey apartment building. The fire was pretty large, engulfing 3 stories of the building. They had been working for half an hour already but the fire was nowhere nearly under control. Bowie was above him on the ladder hosing the fire when suddenly an explosion was heard and the force of it knocked him off the ladder. Frankie was able to grab him and stop him from his fall. Bowie then grabbed the ladder quickly and steadied himself.

“Thanks” he yelled.

“Are you okay?” Frankie asked.

Bowie gave him the thumbs up and Frankie smiled and resumed hosing the fire. Suddenly, out of the corner of his eyes, he noticed a movement at the window 2 apartments over and turning to look, he saw a woman sticking her head out of her smoking window on the 7th floor. He hesitated for a second when flashbacks of Shirley hit him but quickly snapped out of it and yelled to the ladder operator to get the ladder over to her. He managed to pull her out and carried her down the ladder to the paramedics on the ground. I can’t let the Shirley ordeal affect me, he thought worriedly, as he watched the paramedics work on her. In a fire, a second could be the difference between life or death. Maybe I should get some sort of counseling after all, he sighed. Relief rushed through him when the paramedic told him that the lady should make it, she was breathing on her own again.

A few hours later, the fire was finally put out and Frankie looked around to see if everyone in his crew was okay.

“Ellesmere and Michael had to go to the hospital for minor injuries” Bernice told him.

“So they’ll be okay, right?”

“Yes, their injuries were very minor but the paramedics insisted they go to the hospital.”

Gigi came over to Frankie and gave him a hug. “We did it!”

Frankie smiled and hugged her back but when she made no move to let go, he started to get embarrassed. “Gigi, let go. We’re in public.”

“So? I don’t care. Is there something wrong with hugging my boyfriend?”

“Gigi, public display of affection is awkward and we’re technically still working right now, it’s not appropriate.” He gently pushed her off him.

“Okay fine. Why are you so shy?” she pouted and stomped away.

Frankie sighed then noticed Bowie was looking at them with a displeased look on his face but at least it wasn’t as hostile as before. Bowie walked over to him.

“Frankie, I was just wondering if you want to go for a beer? I want to thank you for saving me just now” he asked stiffly.

“You don’t have to thank me” Frankie replied a little surprised.

“Well, I’d like to go for a beer, if that’s okay with you.”

“Sure, I’ll meet you tonight?” Frankie said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That evening, Frankie and Bowie were sitting at the bar drinking from their beer bottles.

“So….did you want to talk about something?” Frankie took a sip of his beer.

“Yeah, I just wanted to say sorry for my behaviour before. I realize that you’re actually not a bad guy after all.”

“Thanks, don’t worry about it. I’m really glad you’ve decided to talk to me. I was a little confused, and I admit, bothered why you seemed to hate me so much.”

“Wasn’t it obvious? I hated you because you were going after my girlfriend.”

“What are you talking about?” Frankie asked surprised. “Who is your girlfriend?”

“Was….she left me for you. Didn’t you know that Gigi and I were going out?”

Frankie’s eyes widened in shock, “no, she never told me you guys went out. I even asked her about you and she still didn’t tell me. Now, I could understand why you didn’t like me but I don’t understand why she didn’t tell me. It would’ve saved me a lot of grief. I thought you didn’t respect me as your Chief or something so I was afraid that I was incompetent.”

“She didn’t tell you we went out at all?” Bowie shook his head and laughed miserably. “You know what……now that I think about it, I’m not surprised she didn’t tell you because she didn’t want to hurt her chances of going out with you. Look, I’m not trying to cause any trouble but Gigi is the type of girl that will do anything to get what she wants. She was spoiled by her parents so she’s used to getting everything she wanted. You better be careful.”

Frankie frowned. By now they have been going out for over a month and he had already gathered that she was spoiled by her parents and was used to having her own way, but he never thought that she would deliberately hide things from him. Had she lied about anything else, he wondered?

“I’m sorry Bowie, I really didn’t know” Frankie said.

“It’s okay, I’ve gotten over her dumping me. Tonight, I wanted to clear things between us because I’m starting to respect you. Now, I guess things are quite clear. Women could be so manipulative.”

“Look, I wish she would’ve been honest with me but maybe she wasn’t comfortable talking about her love life to me back then. I wouldn’t go so far to say she’s manipulative” Frankie defended her.

“Alright, you could give her the benefit of the doubt if you want but just don’t say I didn’t warn you” Bowie took a swig of his beer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few days later, Gigi and Frankie had plans to go out. They were having dinner at another restaurant that Gigi had chose, and she was chattering away happily. Frankie enjoyed her cheerfulness and she seemed so innocent, it was hard to imagine that she could be manipulative. Maybe Bowie was just angry at her so he was just exaggerating, he hoped.

Finally, Frankie couldn’t hold it in anymore so he bluntly asked her “why didn’t you tell me that you and Bowie were going out before?”

She looked surprised and then defiant. “Did he tell you that when you went for a beer with him? The reason I didn’t tell you is because you never asked me.”

“I did ask you about him, remember? I figured you guys were friends because I saw you talking to him more than the others so I asked you why he was so hostile to me but you didn’t say anything about your relationship with him.”

“I didn’t know why he was hostile to you. You asked me if I knew why he was hostile to you, you didn’t ask me about me and him so I didn’t see the need to tell you. If you had asked about us, I would’ve told you.”

Frankie looked at her, trying to deduce if she was telling the truth. Her answer sounded very naïve but she looked so indignant that he decided to believe her. “Sorry, I wasn’t accusing you, I just wanted to know why you didn’t tell me, that’s all.”

She still looked hurt so he leaned over and kissed her on the lips quickly, “I’m sorry.”

She smiled and said “I’ll let you go this time but don’t go accusing me next time.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frankie was holding a camcorder at Selena’s graduation ceremony. He gave Selena a big thumbs up as her name was called to accept her certificate. Bernice clicked away on her camera. Gigi and Raymond clapped and cheered. Selena and Frankie’s grandmother and parents were also in attendance. Frankie smiled with pride. His little sister has graduated and is now a full-fledged firefighter.

After the ceremony was over, Selena made her way over to the group. Frankie handed her a big bouquet of flowers.

“Congrats little sis!” he said giving her a hug.

“Thanks big brother” she smiled.

Bernice gave her a hug and Raymond said “congratulations Selena.”

Selena blushed. “Thank you for coming guys. It means a lot.”

“Of course I’ll come, we’re becoming good friends. Okay, everybody pose!” Bernice said and clicked her camera.

After an abundant amount of picture-taking, Frankie announced that there was to be a graduation party for Selena back at their apartment.

“You should see how much food Granny cooked, it’s like a grand buffet!” Frankie said enthusiastically.

At Frankie’s apartment, after everyone had eaten and was hanging out and enjoying themselves, Frankie decided to ask Raymond about a job for Selena at their station.

“You know, it’s really good timing because someone is leaving. Actually, he’s already left as of yesterday” Raymond said.

“Really? Why wasn’t I told? Who is it?” Frankie asked surprised.

“It’s Bowie. I guess he’s more bothered by Gigi and you going out than he lets on. Anyways, I had a lot of applications already and I wasn’t taking anymore resumes but just tell Selena to give me a resume and I’ll interview her as well.”

“Why didn’t he tell me he’s leaving?” Frankie sighed. “Anyways, I’ll tell Selena to give you a resume. Thanks Ray.”

An hour after the conversation, Ray was getting a drink from the refreshment table when he felt a tap on his shoulders and turned around to see Selena smiling nervously at him. She handed her resume to him.

“I know you’re at a party but I just really wanted to give you this.”

“Great. You’re fast, I like your enthusiasm and eagerness” Ray smiled at her.

Selena blushed, “thank you so much for taking my resume. Big brother told me you weren’t taking anymore resumes but were willing to take mine.”

“Hey, no problem. Like I said, I admire your enthusiasm. So, how would you like to come for an interview tomorrow at 10am?”

“Wow really?! I’d love to. Thanks so much!” Selena exclaimed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, after everyone had left, Selena went over to Frankie, who was helping his Granny clean up.

“Thanks so much for your help Big Brother. Ray is really nice.”

Frankie stopped cleaning up and looked at her with a funny expression on his face.

“What?” she asked.

“Sel, I notice that you blush a lot around Ray.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You’re just so nervous and shy around him and you BLUSH around him. You know, blush, your cheeks go red?”

“I know what blushing means” she said irritably.

“Yeah well, I rarely see you blush around guys. Don’t tell me you have a crush on Ray.”

“I don’t” she quickly denied.

“Normally, I would totally be all for it, but the problem is Ray is going out with Bernice so it’s kind of not a good idea to fall for him.”

“Are you sure they’re going out?” Selena asked. “They don’t even act like a couple at all. I mean you and Gigi are always PDAing.”

“Hey, that’s not my choice” Frankie said embarrassingly. “I told Gigi not to be like that in public but she won’t listen. Hey, don’t try to steer the conversation over to me. So, am I right?”

“No, you’re not! You keep telling me not to speculate but look at you” she accused.

“Alright, alright, I won’t tease you anymore” he said. “I just don’t want you to get hurt, that’s all.”

Selena nodded. “I know Big Brother. Don’t you always call me “Sensible Sel”?”

“Yeah, you are usually sensible. But sometimes, love makes us insensible. Look at me. Oops, did I say that out loud?”

“Yes you did! I knew I was right about you!” Selena exclaimed.

“No, you’re not” Frankie laughed.

Chapter 16

A week later, Raymond walked into the common room of Division 11 and made an announcement. “Well, as you all know, Bowie has left to another Division and I’d like to introduce your new team member, Selena Lam. Please make her feel welcome everyone. Also, she’s a brand new firefighter so please help her out should she need it.”

“Hi Selena, my name is Frankie Lam. Nice to meet you” Frankie joked, holding out his hand.

“Nice to meet you too Mr. Lam” Selena joked back, shaking his hand.

Bernice and Gigi laughed.

Raymond continued, “so you already know Bernice and Gigi, and this is Michael, Ellesmere, Ron, Kevin, Ekin, Patrick, Roger, Marcus and Moses. Frankie is your Chief so if you have any problems, please let him know. I’m sure you won’t have a problem with that.” Raymond winked at her. Selena blushed at his wink.

“Selena, if you don’t mind, you’re just going to be observing today” Frankie started.

“That’s fine by me” she smiled.

“Okay, how about the girls give you a tour of the station?”

Bernice hooked her arms with Selena, “I’ll take you!”

Gigi waved to Bernice and Selena as they left the room. She turned to Frankie and put her arms around his waist. “It’s been awhile since we’ve gone to see a movie, let’s go tonight” she suggested.

“Okay, I’ll meet up with you after our shifts. Umm…..Gigi, stop it, we’re at work.” Frankie pried her arms off him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    After the movie, Frankie drove Gigi home and walked her to her door.

“Did you enjoy the movie?” she asked him.

“Yeah….I thought I wouldn’t because it was the epitome of a chick flick but surprisingly, I did enjoy it.”

“Of course you would enjoy it, it was so sweet, just like our love” she smiled at him.

He smiled back at her thinking she was really cute. He touched her cheek affectionately. She looked up at him and suddenly wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him on the lips. At first, he was holding back a little but then after awhile, he fully kissed her back. They broke apart after a minute and stared at each other. She broke out into a wide smile.

“Would you like to come inside? My parents aren’t home” she asked shyly.

“Okay” he said and held her hand as she opened the door to her house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Bernice and Gigi were in the girls’ bathroom, fixing their makeup.

“Why do we bother wearing makeup when we have to fight fire?” asked Bernice rhetorically.

“Because I have to look good for my baby” Gigi answered happily. She applied shiny lip gloss on her lips.

Bernice looked at her curiously, “okay, you’ve been smiling from ear to ear all day, what’s up?”

“Frankie and I made out last night” Gigi giggled. “Before last night, it was always quick kisses but last night, wow, it was awesome.”

“So, after all this time, you guys just kissed?” Bernice asked then looked apologetic. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it that way. It’s just that you guys have been going out for a while now.” Secretly, she felt happy that they hadn’t had sex yet. She knew she shouldn’t feel that way but she couldn’t help it.

“It’s okay, I know what you mean. Frankie told me he wants to take things slowly” Gigi sighed. “He just said he didn’t want to screw things up. Whatever, I’ll take whatever he gives me. Normally, I’m not the most patient person, but somehow with him, I’m pretty patient.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week later, Frankie was driving home from work when he passed a familiar-looking car stalled on the side of the road with its hood up. Suddenly, Bernice’s face appeared behind the hood, looking puzzled. Frankie slowed his car and parked it on the side of the road in front of her car.

“Hi Bernice. Are you having car problems?”

“Oh hi Frankie” she coughed, waving smoke from the car away from her. “Yeah, my car just did a hiccup and died. I’m not sure what’s wrong with it.”

“Let me take a look.” Frankie checked all the parts of the car but couldn’t seem to find anything obvious that was wrong with it. “I’m not sure what’s wrong either. Everything looks fine to me but then I admit I’m no expert. Do you have a mechanic?”

“No, I just bring my car to the dealership for maintenance. I do whatever they tell me and some of my services were so expensive.”

“Yeah, the dealerships are the biggest crooks” Frankie exclaimed. “Don’t worry, I know a good mechanic. He’s a friend so he’s really honest and gives me really good prices. I’ll call him for you. The only thing is he’s on the island so we have to take a car ferry over. Is that alright with you?”

“Sure, sounds fine with me” Bernice replied.

“Okay, I’ll call a tow truck to tow your car over there” Frankie took out his cell phone.

Bernice was really touched that Frankie was being so helpful to her, “thank you for all your help, Frankie.”

“It’s nothing….ummm, you have a black mark on your face” he said rubbing her cheek.

They stared at each other for a moment and then looking down nervously, he took his hand off her face and looked at his watch. “The tow truck said they’ll be here in 15 minutes. Are you thirsty? I’ll get you a drink.”

She nodded and he went over to a street vendor to buy her a drink.

“How do you know what I wanted?” she asked.

“Oh sorry, I just assumed that you wanted an ice tea because it’s your favourite beverage.”

“Well, you were right” she grinned, touched that he knew what she liked to drink. He smiled back at her in relief.

Finally, the tow truck arrived and hooked her car up. Frankie and Bernice followed the tow truck onto the ferry boat and they crossed to the island.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After his friend’s diagnosis of the car problem, Frankie asked “how long will it take to fix?”

“I’d say around 3 hours” his friend answered.

Frankie looked at his watch. It was already 6:30pm. “The last ferry is at 10pm so we should make it if you don’t take more than 3 hours” he remarked.

“Okay, why don’t you guys do something and be back by 9:30?”

“Thank you so much” Bernice said. “See you later.”

As Bernice and Frankie walked out of the body shop, he turned to her and asked “what do you want to do now?”

She smiled “do you want to guess?”

“Eat?” he smiled.

“Yup, I’m starving. Do you know any good place to eat around here?”

“Of course, after all the waiting I’ve had to do, I know all the places to eat around here” he said.

He brought her to a small, cozy restaurant right on the shoreline. They sat outdoors under an umbrella. She breathed in the air and smiled.

“The air is so much fresher here and the water is so soothing. I should come here more often” she said.

“Yeah, I come here all the time. It does a soul good” he agreed.

“Thanks for doing this for me. Now, you’re not going to get home until so late” she looked apologetic.

“Don’t worry about it, Bernice. That’s what friends are for” he smiled at her. “We haven’t gotten a chance to talk for a while. How’s everything?”

“Good, I guess…maybe things could be better but I’m holding up okay.”

He looked at her worriedly. “I wasn’t expecting to hear this type of response from you. You’re usually the most cheerful, happy and bubbly person I’ve known. Aren’t things going well with you and Ray?”

“What do you mean things with me and Ray?” she asked puzzled.

“Aren’t you guys going out?” he asked puzzled too.

“No, we aren’t going out. Where did you get that idea?”

“What?” he asked in shock. “Wait, did you guys ever go out?” Frankie frowned.

“We went on a few dates way before I met you but then I thought we were better as friends. Then we went to the Formal together. That’s it. We never really went out” Bernice explained. “What made you think we went out?” she asked again.

“Gigi told me that you and Ray are going out” Frankie’s jaw tightened. “I believed her.”

Bernice’s eyes widened. She didn’t want to get her friend in trouble, “Oh, I may have said something to her to give her that impression” she quickly said, averting his eyes.

Frankie stared at her unconvinced, “don’t you lie to me too; please, don’t lie to me.”

She felt so conflicted but still felt a need to protect her friend, “I’m not, I remember I said that Ray and I are going out but I meant just to the Formal but she thought I meant really going out and asked me but I didn’t have time to explain because my parents called me and made me get off the phone.”

He continued to stare at her uncertainly.

“Excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom” she stammered.

Inside the bathroom, Bernice pulled out her cellphone and called Gigi. “Gigi? It’s me. I’m stuck on the island with Frankie. It’s a long story but the main reason I’m calling is because he asked about me and Ray and I didn’t know you told him we were going out so I told him we weren’t going out. So now he’s mad that you lied to him. Why did you lie to him and why didn’t you tell me?”

“I’m so sorry Bernice. I know I shouldn’t lie to him but I didn’t know what else to do to get him to go out with me. He had such a fixation on you” there was bitterness in Gigi’s voice. “I know I should’ve told you but to be honest, I kind of forgot because I was just so happy that he agreed to go out with me. I’m sorry Bernice, can you forgive me?”

“It’s okay, just forget about it” Bernice sighed.

“Bernice, please help me. I don’t want him to be mad at me” Gigi whined.

Bernice hesitated, she almost didn’t want to help Gigi anymore but finally she said “I already tried to defend you. Okay, just tell him you saw Ray and me having an intimate dinner at La Tour Eiffel a week before the Formal and I’ll confirm it. Also, I already told him you misunderstood when I told you Ray and I were going out – I meant to the Formal but you thought I meant dating. Okay?”

“Oh thank you thank you Bernice. You’re the best friend in the world!” Gigi exclaimed.

Bernice sighed and shook her head, wondering why she kept covering up for Gigi all the time. “Okay, I gotta go now. Talk to you later.”

Frankie was sitting deep in thought when Bernice came back out and sat down at the table. Seeing him like that, she felt so bad for him.

“Frankie, don’t worry about it. Gigi just misunderstood and thought me and Ray were going out. She didn’t mean to lie to you” she reassured him.

“Bernice, Gigi never told me that she went out with Bowie and I asked her about him. She told me she didn’t deliberately lie to me but how am I supposed to believe that she didn’t mean to lie to me this time too?” he asked, misery in his eyes.

Bernice felt incredibly conflicted. She hated seeing him hurt but then at the same time, she couldn’t betray her friend. She decided to comfort him, “don’t worry, Frankie, it really is a misunderstanding this time. She really truly thought that we were going out.”

“Bernice, I’m not sure why I’m telling you this but my last relationship left me broken-hearted. We were high school sweethearts. I knew I wanted to be a fireman and she knew she wanted to be a journalist. After college, she went abroad for further studies, saying there were better opportunities there. I was willing to wait for her to study and then come back. I was even ready to marry her. However, slowly our communications got further and further apart. I kept trying to get in touch with her but it was like she was avoiding me until one day, she told me that she was offered a great and amazing job in England and she accepted it without even talking to me. I was incredibly hurt. I thought about going to England to be with her but I didn’t want to leave my job and my family for her if her personal ambitions were more important than us. And in the end, they were, she was willing to give up everything to become a famous journalist and I couldn’t keep up with her so we broke up. I never had a serious relationship after her…maybe a few dates but I just couldn’t get serious with anyone. So, do you think I’m just being paranoid?”

“No, I don’t blame you at all. I would be the same way. What I do know is that Gigi loves you very much and she’s a great girl, so you shouldn’t worry” Bernice said with emotion in her voice.

“Thanks Bernice” Frankie smiled. “You always have a way of making me feel better.” He looked into her eyes. What will I do without you, he silently asked?

“I totally know how you feel about it being very difficult to get serious with anyone. My last boyfriend was a fireman. He had been working for 2 years when I met him as a rookie. I was just out of school. He died on duty a year after we started going out. Now you know why I said I don’t date co-workers.”

“I’m so sorry” Frankie said. “That must’ve been difficult. I can’t imagine losing someone like that.” He wanted to hold her when he saw tears in her eyes but he restrained himself.

“I guess I’m just unlucky in love” she sighed.

“I feel that way too” he smiled. “I’ve had more heartaches than I ever wanted, including with y-…..” he trailed off.

They looked into each other’s eyes and both saw a mixture of regret and longing there. Just then the waiter brought their food, which broke the spell, and they both looked down at their food.

“Wow, this looks so good” Bernice smiled digging into her food. “Mmmm….you have good taste.”

“Of course I have good taste” he said jokingly.

After they finished dinner, they took a walk down the beach. They stopped once in a while to stare at the ocean and pick up seashells.

“I feel so refreshed and free here” Bernice smiled watching the waves lapping gently onto the shore.

“Yeah, very soothing” Frankie nodded then looked at his watch. “Oh, oh, it’s almost 9:30, let’s go back.”

When they got back to the auto shop, they saw the mechanic still working underneath the car.

“Hey Phil” Frankie said. “How’s it going?”

“Sorry Frankie. It took longer than I thought. I should be done shortly.”

“Okay Phil. We’ll be around here, let us know when you’re done but we do have to catch the last ferry by 10.”

A muffled “kay” was his reply.

Frankie and Bernice walked around to the back of the shop and saw a swing hanging from a tree. “You want to go on it?” Frankie asked when he saw Bernice’s eyes light up upon seeing it.

“Yeah” she nodded.

He pushed the swing and thought her hair smelled so good as it hit him in the face each time she swung back and forth. She started to laugh as she went higher and higher.

“Look at you laughing, you’re such a little kid” he teased her.

“Weeee!” she shouted pushing herself higher and higher.

Suddenly, the tree branch holding the swing cracked and snapped off, sending Bernice flying through the air. Frankie’s eyes widened and he quickly put his arms out to catch her as she flew towards him.

“Ummmph” Frankie felt the wind knocked out of him as she landed on him. They were both sprawled on the ground.

“Are you okay? I’m so sorry” Bernice said looking at him guiltily.

“I’m fine” he said then stared at her nervously when he realized she was lying on top of him.

Their faces were so close, they were almost touching. They stared into each other’s eyes. Suddenly, the world seemed to vanish, it was just her and him. He never felt a stronger urge to kiss anyone like he did now and it took all his self-control to restrain himself. The way she was looking at him, he could’ve sworn that she felt the same.

Suddenly, they heard footsteps and Frankie quickly got up, helping Bernice up as well. They smiled nervously at each other.

“There you guys are” Phil said. “I’m done with the car.”

“Thanks again” Bernice said as she paid him. “What time is it?”

Frankie looked at his watch, “oh oh, it’s 5 to 10. We have to hurry or the ferry will leave. Thanks Phil. I’ll be in touch again. Bernice, follow me in your car.”

Frankie drove really quickly to the ferry dock but had to slow down a few times so Bernice could keep up. She wasn’t familiar with the roads like he was.

When they got there, it was 10:05pm and the gates were closed. Frankie jumped out of his car, ran to the gate and tried to open the gate door. It was locked. He tugged at it again but it was definitely not budging.

“It’s locked, the ferry’s gone. Looks like we’re stranded tonight” he sighed.

“It’s all my fault, I’m sorry” she said apologetically.

“It’s okay Bernice, it’s not a problem. I just have to call home and let them know that I won’t be home tonight.”

“Yeah me too” she said.

After they made their phone calls, she asked “where are we going to stay tonight?”

“They have cabins for rent here for tourists, we could rent one for the night” he suggested.

She nodded and followed him. They rented a two-bedroom cabin. It was small, cozy and neat and tidy. She found it very charming.

“Ladies first” he said when she asked him if he wanted to take a shower.

He was sitting on the couch watching TV when he heard his name. “Frankie, Frankie”, it was coming from the bathroom. He walked over to the bathroom door and knocked.

“Bernice, are you calling me?” he asked.

He heard her voice through the door, “umm….there’s no towel in here.”

“Oh…I’ll go look for one” he said.

He looked in the bedrooms but didn’t see one then he saw a linen closet and there were towels in there. Why don’t they leave towels in the bathroom, he thought to himself? He knocked on the bathroom door again. He turned his head away when she cracked the door open a little bit and held the towel out for her.

She was relieved to see that he had considerately turned his head away. “Thanks” she said grabbing the towel quickly.

Frankie resumed watching TV but he couldn’t concentrate on what he was watching. Oh god, I need to think about something else besides Bernice being in the showers, he groaned annoyed that he was acting like a hormonally-charged teenager. It didn’t help that the cabin was so small that the bathroom was in full view of the living room. Suddenly, the bathroom door opened and Bernice came out dressed in the same outfit she had on earlier but her hair was tousled and damp. He thought she looked so beautiful. They both looked at each other and smiled nervously.

“It’s your turn” she said sitting down on the couch beside him, smelling fresh and clean.

He smiled at her and went into the bathroom then immediately came out again. “I almost forgot to get a towel” he laughed nervously. After getting another towel from the linen closet, he went back into the bathroom and soon Bernice could hear the shower going. A few minutes later, he emerged from the bathroom in his boxers and quickly ran into his bedroom. He had left the bedroom door slightly opened and Bernice couldn’t help sneaking a peek. He was getting dressed and seeing him topless made Bernice crack a smile. What is wrong with me, she thought? I’m acting like a schoolgirl again.

He came out fully dressed in the same outfit he had on all day and sat down beside her on the couch. “This sucks that we weren’t prepared for staying overnight. It’s gross having to rewear our clothes again after showering.”

“Yeah” she agreed. “How are we going to brush our teeth without our toothbrushes and toothpaste? All the stores are closed at this time, aren’t they?”

“Yeah, they’re closed” he confirmed. He pulled out some gum from his pocket. “I guess these will have to do.”

They both started chewing gum and watching a movie that was showing on the TV. Suddenly Frankie’s cellphone went off.

“Hello?” he answered. “Hi honey.”

“I called your house but Selena said you aren’t coming home because you got stuck on the island. What is going on?” Gigi asked frowning.

“Bernice’s car broke down so we brought it to my mechanic on the island. He took longer than we thought to fix it so we missed the last ferry. We’re staying at a cabin we rented.”

“How many rooms does it have?” Gigi asked frowning even more.

“Two of course. Don’t worry, I’ll call you as soon as I get back tomorrow morning. I have a few things I wanted to talk to you about” he said in a serious tone.

This made Gigi nervous. “Okay, I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Okay bye” he said.

He looked at Bernice and smiled. “What do you want to do now? Are you going to sleep?”

“No, I want to finish this movie, it’s good” she answered.

He sat and watched the movie with her. The movie was interesting but it kept going and going and he felt his eyelids getting heavier and heavier so he finally closed his eyes and fell asleep on the couch.

Chapter 17

Frankie’s eyes opened to a stream of sunlight coming through the slits on the window blinds. He was still on the couch and was going to stretch out when he noticed Bernice asleep on his shoulder. He frozed and stayed still because he didn’t want to wake her. He grimaced when he began to develop a neck cramp but he didn’t dare to move. Suddenly, Bernice stirred and opened her eyes. She looked up at him and noticing she was lying on his shoulder, she straightened herself up and smiled at him nervously.

“Sorry” she said.

“It’s okay” he answered warmly. “Did you have a good sleep?”

Remembering the feeling of lying on his shoulder, she smiled and nodded. “And you?”

“Yeah” he said. “I feel great right now. Want to go for breakfast before we get back?”

She nodded, smiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After breakfast, they finally got back to the city and Frankie waved to Bernice as she drove away. He then made his way to Gigi’s house.

“Hi, I’m here to see your Missis” he said when the housekeeper opened the door.

“Come in Mr. Frankie” she said. “Have a seat, I’ll call her.”

He stood up when he saw Gigi coming down the stairs. “Hi” he said giving her a kiss.

“Hi honey, did you just get back from the island?” Gigi asked nervously. “You sure came here quickly.”

“Yeah, I wanted to talk to you about the Bernice and Ray thing” he answered. “You said that you truly believed that they were going out. What made you think that?”

She paused as she tried to remember the details of the stories she and Bernice had worked out to tell him. “Well, Bernice and I were talking on the phone like we always do. Near the end of the conversation, she suddenly said and I quote “I’m going out with Raymond” so I was surprised and asked her if she meant they were going out as in dating or were they going out to the Formal only. She didn’t answer because her parents were saying something to her and then she came back on the phone and said she had to go. I probably shouldn’t have assumed that she meant that they were going out as in dating, but then a week before the Formal, I saw her at La Tour Eiffel, a really romantic French restaurant, with Ray having an intimate dinner. I didn’t want to interrupt them so I didn’t come up to them but that pretty much confirmed to me that they were going out. I’m sorry, I really believed they were going out that’s why I told you. I was just so happy for them.”

He stared at her for a while. She was quite convincing and he wanted to believe that she didn’t intentionally lie to him. Also, he had to admit that he himself had thoughts that Bernice and Ray would’ve been a great couple before Gigi told him they were going out. The main thing for him was to figure out if she had deliberately lied to him. “Okay, thanks for the explanation. I actually have to go home now to wash up. I’ll call you later.” He wanted to give the situation some more thought.

After he got home, got washed up and changed into clean clothes, he called Bernice on the phone.

“Hi Bernice, it’s me Frankie. Just checking to see how you made out. You got home okay? How does your car feel?”

“Yeah, I got home alright and the car feels great. Thanks for introducing me to your mechanic. He’s really good and you saved me so much money. Most importantly…..I had a really good time last night” she said, sounding uncertain if she should’ve told him that.

“I did too Bernice. I feel like I know you better.”

“Yeah, so do I.”

“Bernice, can I ask you if you went out for dinner with Ray around 3 months ago? Where and when did you go for dinner with him?”

“Umm…..yeah, we did. We went to a French restaurant called La Tour Eiffel about a week before the Formal. Why do you ask?”

So her story matched Gigi’s story, he felt relieved. “Gigi said she actually saw you guys there and that’s what made her believe even more that you guys were going out.”

“Oh really? No wonder she thought that. I heard that La Tour Eiffel was really good so Ray and I wanted to try it, that’s all.” She felt really bad lying to him but she already promised to help Gigi. This is the last time I’m helping her, she thought angrily.

“Okay, thanks a lot Bernice. I’ll see you on Monday at work?”

“Yeah, see you Monday” she said. “Bye.” She hung up and sighed. She missed him already. You better not screw it up Gigi, she thought bitterly. He’s such a great guy. You better not hurt him.

Frankie hung up the phone just as he heard the door open. “Hi Granny. Hi Sel, where did you guys go this morning?”

“We went out for dim sum” Selena replied.

“Did you have breakfast yet?” his Granny asked him.

“Yup I did” he answered.

“Okay, then Granny’s going to go take a rest” she said going to her room.

“Okay, Granny. Selena, I have good news to tell you” Frankie smiled deviously.

“What is it?” she asked curiously.

“Bernice and Ray weren’t going out after all. It was a big misunderstanding. So you have a chance with Ray” he winked at her.

She blushed and then realized that she was right all along. “So Big Brother, now I can say “I told you so”. See, I’m always right when it comes to relationship stuff. I’m just really good at reading people.”

“Okay I admit it, you were right. So you’re not only “Sensible Sel”, you’re also “Smartie Sel”.

“You bet I’m smart” she smiled smugly. “So….that means that Bernice is single. What are you going to do?”

He sighed. “I’m not going to do anything. I already made a decision to go out with Gigi and I’m not going to hurt her. Remember I told you Bernice kept trying to get us together?”

“Maybe she was just doing that for Gigi but she has feelings for you” Selena said.

He sighed again, shaking his head. “I don’t know if that’s true and even if it is, it’s already too late for us” he answered sadly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Frankie went over to Gigi’s house again.

“Hi honey” he smiled and gave her a hug when she came downstairs.

“Hi baby, so you believe me now?” she asked him cautiously.

“Yeah, Bernice corroborated your story. I’m sorry to doubt you. I just didn’t want to be lied to” he said. “Look, I just want to forget about all this business and move on. I know I have trust issues but please promise you’ll always be honest with me and I’ll always be honest with you, ok?”

Gigi nodded. She was so happy and relieved that he believed her and wanted to move on. She gave him a big hug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frankie and 5 of his crewmembers were away from the station attending to a fire at a restaurant a few blocks away. The other half of the team at Division 11 was mostly in the common room, hanging out. Selena was at her desk finishing up a report. She felt a little frustrated because Frankie had only let her observe and write up reports for the past 2 weeks. He better stop being so protective of me soon or else my patience is going to run out, she thought angrily to herself.

Just then the alarm went off. Ding ding ding! Everyone jumped to their feet and began changing into their suits.

Raymond came running out of his office and started changing into the protective gear as well.

“Huh, since when do you go out on field work?” Bernice asked.

“This is a huge fire and unfortunately, Frankie isn’t back; so without your crew manager, I’m going to have to go out with you guys” Raymond explained, loudly enough for everyone to hear. “Selena, I understand that Frankie has been making you observe only. Well, this time you’re not observing because we need everyone we can get. This fire is huge. Selena, you’re going to stay by me at all times. Let’s go!!!!

When they got to the fire, it has spread to nearly a quarter of the 20-storey building. There were people running out to their balconies, trying to get away from the inferno inside their apartment building.

“Set up a huge mattress now!” Raymond yelled, when he realized that some of those people were getting desperate enough to jump. After calling for backup, he yelled “You three, come with me inside!”

Selena was part of the three in the big commotion that ensued so she followed Ray inside the building. The heat was very intense as soon as they neared the fire. She was sweating profusely, even inside her protective gear. She started dousing flames with her fire extinguisher and looking around for any occupants still stuck in the building. She spied a woman running out of her apartment with her sleeves on fire so she douse the flames and quickly helped the woman to the exit. She went back inside the building and continued to douse the flames. As the smoke got thicker, her eyes began to burn and she started to cough. As she went deeper into the building, she began to get disoriented. Frankie taught her to memorize the way she came and note every exit but suddenly, she was drawing a blank. Just then, she heard a crackling noise behind her and she turned around and saw a beam falling towards her. She jumped aside just in time but she fell and the beam scraped her arm before landing beside her. Suddenly, she felt an arm helping her up and leading her to an exit. When they got outside, she started to cough uncontrollably and hyperventilating.

“Are you okay?” Raymond asked with concern on his face.

“Yeah” she nodded, trying to slow her breathing down. “Thanks for helping me.”

Just then, she saw Frankie run up to her. “Selena, Selena, are you okay?” he asked frantically.

“I’m fine” she said but winced when he touched her arm.

“Your arm is hurt, you have to go to the hospital” Frankie said.

“It’s just a scrape” she protested.

“No, it’s also a 2nd degree burn, not to mention the smoke inhalation, you have to go to the hospital” his face left no room for argument.

“Okay” she sighed.

“Good, go with the paramedics. I’ll meet you at the hospital once I’m done here.”

In the hospital, Frankie waited for her to be treated. The doctor took care of her arm and checked her lungs and cognitive abilities and deemed her okay to go home. Frankie helped her to his car.

He turned to her and said, “There were a lot of casualties in this fire. About 18 people died. I was really freaked out when I saw you coming out of that fiery building injured.”

“Big brother, you need to stop being so protective of me. I know I’m a little inexperienced but I’ll learn and be fine.”

“I know, I’ll try not to be so overbearing, but I just get so worried something will happen to you. If something happens to you, I’ll never forgive myself.”

“Big brother, if something happens to me, it won’t be your fault and I refuse to let you try to take responsibility for it.”

“Hey, knock on wood, don’t say that! Like I said, I won’t let anything happen to you.”

She shook her head, he could be so stubborn sometimes. “Well, I have to admit the fire was a lot more intense than what I’ve seen in training. It was so much more intense than I imagined. Also, I got a little disoriented with all the smoke” she said.

“The first thing a firefighter has to remember is to never underestimate a fire” Frankie said.

“I know” Selena nodded. “Thanks for all your guidance.”

“Anytime. Glad you’re alright Little Sis” Frankie smiled and patted her head.

“Stop that!” she yelled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raymond insisted Selena take a day off. “Your first fire was a pretty intense one. I want you to take it easy” he said. So, Selena was stuck at home, watching TV, getting bored, and already itching to go back to work. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Her grandmother went over to open the door.

“Hi, my name is Ray. I’m Selena’s Chief and I just wanted to check in on her” he smiled at her grandmother.

“Come in, come in Ray” her grandmother beamed.

Ray walked into the apartment and smiled at Selena, walking over to the living room.

“Have a seat” Selena said shyly. “Thanks for visiting me.”

“How are you doing?” he asked her.

“I’m fine. I think I’ll be okay to get back to work tomorrow.”

“Wow, you sound exactly like your brother” he joked.

She chuckled. “He’ll get a kick out of that one” she said.

“Well, I think that you should have one more day off – “ he put up his hand when she was about to argue. “Remember how physical our job is; I don’t want you coming back to work unless you’re 100%.

“I’m going to die of boredom” she couldn’t help whining.

“Well, I was going to ask you if you’d like to go out for dinner tomorrow evening?” he said looking into her eyes.

She looked surprised then nodded, blushing. “I’d love to” she answered nervously.

“Great! I’ll pick you up at 7?”

She nodded, too excited to speak.

“Bye. See you tomorrow. Say bye to your Granny for me.”

“Bye” she said.

Five minutes after Raymond left, there was the sound of the keys opening the door and Frankie walked in.

“Granny, Sel, I’m home! Oh Little Sis, there you are” he said walking over to her. “So, did it suck to be stuck at home?”

“Yeah, it did” she answered with a big smile on her face.

He looked at her suspiciously. “Why are you smiling like a Cheshire cat?”

“Nothing” she said, still grinning.

“Come on, tell me, cause it’s freaking me out. I know something’s up” he said crossing him arms.

“Okay….Ray was just by” she started.

“Oh?” he asked. “Let me guess, he asked you out, didn’t he?”

She blushed and nodded. He laughed, “that’s awesome! I knew you liked him and he likes you too. Love is blossoming in the air” he said in a singsong voice.

“Stop teasing me, it’s just a first date” she said.

“Oh geez, my little sis and my boss, K-I-S-S-I-N-G” he continued.

“You’re so immature Big Brother!” she said exasperatedly. “I knew I shouldn’t have told you.”

“Well, it’s not like you could’ve hidden it from me for much longer” he said. “Okay, I’ll stop teasing you, but only if you promise you two don’t pick on me at work now that you’re going out with my superior.”

She smiled, liking the sound of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She wasn’t normally the gushing type but Selena couldn’t help it as she and Bernice were freshening up in the girls’ bathroom after they had just finished putting out a fire at a high school.

“Ray took me to a really romantic restaurant, La Tour Eiffel. The food was so good and he was such a gentleman. I was nervous but it was never awkward because it just felt like we had such a connection.”

“Yeah, Ray is a gentleman alright” Bernice said smiling. Ray learnt about La Tour Eiffel after Gigi and Bernice told him to corroborate their story if Frankie were to ask him and it’s funny that he took Selena to La Tour Eiffel on their first date. At least this time, Bernice was genuinely happy at her newfound friend’s gushing. Whenever, Gigi gushed about her and Frankie, Bernice always felt sad and jealous inside. “So do you guys have plans for a second date?”

“Yeah, he asked me out again next week” Selena said beaming.

“Ooohhh….sounds serious” Bernice teased.

Selena laughed. “We’ll see.”