Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New series:Mo Jian Sheng Si Qi, starring Tony Sun Xie Zhi and Liu Tao

Ok MysticDust, you don't need to get mad... Ni wei shen me hen sheng qi?? I do agree with you in a sense, but I get irritated IF ALL people go for is the cast because there is more to a series than just THE cast...I have seen sooo many fans/viewers watch a series just for the cast only, but then after they see it, they go on and on saying how bad it is.... I mean it is ok to go for the cast at first, but it should not be all that we go for...It's like some people that don't like Xie Zhi refuse to watch this series just because he is in it or vice versa... I think that is sad that just one cast member can determine whether you will see a whole series or not.. For example, I don't like Ruby Lin at all, however, if a series is good and she is in it, I will see it since there is more to a series than just that one actress/character. I agree that no one really knows the plot of a series(unless it is a remake) but there are other factors that need to be put into consideration. Like some people say they don't like this series because of the special effects and all...I think that is more reasonable than saying "I will not see this because I don't like Xie Zhi, Ray or Liu Tao". In my case, I love ancient series so I want to see this one and Xie Zhi, Ray and Liu Tao(some of my favorites) just happens to be in it.

I saw parts of it as well and really like the script. I agree with you when it comes to the characters as well. Shao Bing's character is so annoying and heavily flawed. Even though Ren Xing's character is supposed to the bad guy, I can sympathize with him more... I actually don't really like Liu Tao's character since she doesn't treat him very well, especially all he has done for her... I wonder why Xie Zhi is always stuck playing character that don't seem to be loved back by the one that he loves... I feel so sad for him.... He even mentioned in his biography that if he likes a girl, he will spend the time to pursue her(hm, now I am wondering if I should translate his biography into English for fans to read? Maybe..)...
    Last edited by Trinie; 09-04-07 at 03:02 AM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Sorry, Trinie, I didn't mean to seem angry, but I just wanted to put in my two cents worth and defend a situation that I don't feel is wrong (in this case: watching a series for actors). If we love them, then why can't we support them. I have watched many a bad series and continue to the end b/c I like a single character or couple (I love the fast forward option). Sometimes I feel that plot is not all that important if you still enjoy what you're watching in the end, then it almost justified the hours you spend. To me entertainment is just that, entertainment. For me it's not necessary to look for a deeper meaning or all that important to remember every little detail. Others who are much deeper than I might object and say that I'm wasting my time, but if I have time to waste, I feel there's nothing wrong. However, I don't feel this series is a waste b/c I've waited a while for this and am not disappointed w/ the end product.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

This series is doing quite well in China (or at least in Guangzhou). I just saw a video on Mazooki that has XieZhi guest starring in a Guangzhou tv game show to promote the series and the host said that it is getting really good ratings, something like over 500,000 viewers in that area.

I wonder how the ratings are in Taiwan?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust View Post
    Sorry, Trinie, I didn't mean to seem angry, but I just wanted to put in my two cents worth and defend a situation that I don't feel is wrong (in this case: watching a series for actors). If we love them, then why can't we support them. I have watched many a bad series and continue to the end b/c I like a single character or couple (I love the fast forward option). Sometimes I feel that plot is not all that important if you still enjoy what you're watching in the end, then it almost justified the hours you spend. To me entertainment is just that, entertainment. For me it's not necessary to look for a deeper meaning or all that important to remember every little detail. Others who are much deeper than I might object and say that I'm wasting my time, but if I have time to waste, I feel there's nothing wrong. However, I don't feel this series is a waste b/c I've waited a while for this and am not disappointed w/ the end product.
    It's ok and I do understand what you are saying and I do partially agree. It is true that we should love and support them, but I also believe that it is important to take other factors into consideration as well..I admit that at first, I do sort of go for the cast as well since I don't even know anything about the series yet(unless it is a remake), but after awhile I start to notice how important the other aspects in a series is. I think the plot is very important because that is like the skeleton of a series. Therefore, a series with a bad plot would just drag... I think this way based on experience since I did watch a series for just the cast a couple of times and boy do I regret it... THat is why from now on, I vow to never just go for the cast. I have tried to watch a series with a good cast, but bad plot, script and other things and I must say... I could not digest the series at all... Of course, having a good cast is a BIG plus. My mom even says that the cast is important as well, but the plot is too... I guess that''s just me since I tend to analyze things that I really like deeply. I have watched series for over 20 years and it is one of my favorite hobbies so I tend to overreact. Therefore, please excuse me for that... Also, since there are many series today so I have to pick and choose since I don't have a lot of time to waste either... I also didn't say that it is wrong to watch a series just for the cast. I just wanted you to know that there are other qualities in a series that make it good as well, not just the cast. I am glad that the ratings and reviews for this series is good so far....
    I just hope the ending and all isn't disappointing. There are a lot of series that are good, but have a bad ending.... I also didn't know that you like Xie Zhi... I also admire you for your patience since you said you don't really understand Chinese but are still willing to watch it... I would never have that much patience.. If I did not understand Chinese, I wouldn't even bother since I would get too frustrated and cannot fully enjoy a series...

Thanks for letting us know about the ratings Bonnie! I really hope that this series will continue to have good ratings....
    Last edited by Trinie; 09-05-07 at 01:43 AM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Hey guys. Good news for any viet fans out there! Mo Jian Sheng Si Qi, translated to Ma Kiem Sinh Tu Ky, was just uploaded yesterday with viet voice-over. I know it's not the same as dubbing but hopefully this show gets good ratings in vietnam and then it can be dubbed quickly in the US. For any viet fans. . .here is the link.

http://www.dailymotion.com/film4vndali6/3

If I find any other languages I will post also. Great thing about this is that dailymotion loads much faster than tudou. Also, I have watched a few episodes. . .the translation isn't too bad. . .'cept for a few parts where the lady says something completely different from the chinese dialogue and it was so obvious. X_x Anywho, hope this helps anyone who wants to see this but can't understand mandarin. ^^
    Some of us needs to learn how to get our priorities straight and others need to start getting some priorities. . .

This series finished airing on September 11 from what I heard... I hope that it will come out on DVD in the Taiwan or US version since I don't like the CHina version. Yea, the title translated into VIet word for word is Ma Kiem Sanh Tu Ky. The original title was Mo Jian Chuan Qi which translates to Ma Kiem Truyen Ky. The Viet translations are off a lot of times....

lol. For the most part, I thought the translation was adequate, 'cept for a few part where I was like. . .what the. . .?!! I don't even know why they decided to change the dialogue. . .it was just lame. The translations for those part can literally be translated, almost.

like one part where yu er said something on the lines of "excellent. . .my energy/power (don't know a better word) has returned!" . . .the voice-over lady said "are you okay?" to yi yi. . .>_< it was just blah. anywho, there were just these random flaws that seem to be done on purpose for god knows why.
    Some of us needs to learn how to get our priorities straight and others need to start getting some priorities. . .

i'm watchin this serie in viet rite now and it's so good...i cant stop watching it it's a shame to not see liu tao pairin up with tony instead of shao bing no offense but he does look kinda old for liu tao..i like tony with liu tao better..at first i thought shirley dai is not in here but she is..her make up is kinda plain and does make her look old too...

This series is already out in Viet?? Or do you mean the narration Viet version that they do in VN?? Gosh, I hate those... I hope that Tony doesn't die at the end...

To Cinnamon,
    Yea, I guess the translation is ok overall... But I would rather see the Chinese version... Too bad Tony is dubbed which is expected since he is from Taiwan. Even stars from China get dubbed all the time. I just feel sad for Tony's character that Liu Tao doesn't love him back and loves Shao Bing's character instead.... I kinda dislike Liu Tao's character for the way she treats Tony.... I hope that Tony can be in more ancient series in the future.... By the way, I was watching an old ep of WQYL the other day and gosh is Tony funny... THey revealed that he likes talking about the bathroom and bathroom related topics.. OMG, I didn't know that he was that funny....

Yeah, I agree that the story in it's original form is usually best since there is less chance to lose certain meanings that can't be translated. . .but since I'm only learning Mandarin and not a fluent speaker, there are certain things I don't understand as much as I want to. XP I will watch both versions. . .to get optimal understanding. . .lol.

Ah. . .I was wondering if there is a place I can go to find if there are people interested in doing fan-subbing for this show. Anyone interested or know a good place to go to?

Which WQYL episode was that? XD I didn't know xiezhi had that kind of hobby. . .know shaowei likes to call people while in the restroom though. . .lol. They're both a bit crazy. XD
    Last edited by Cinnamon; 09-18-07 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    This series is already out in Viet?? Or do you mean the narration Viet version that they do in VN?? Gosh, I hate those... I hope that Tony doesn't die at the end...

To Cinnamon,
    Yea, I guess the translation is ok overall... But I would rather see the Chinese version... Too bad Tony is dubbed which is expected since he is from Taiwan. Even stars from China get dubbed all the time. I just feel sad for Tony's character that Liu Tao doesn't love him back and loves Shao Bing's character instead.... I kinda dislike Liu Tao's character for the way she treats Tony.... I hope that Tony can be in more ancient series in the future.... By the way, I was watching an old ep of WQYL the other day and gosh is Tony funny... THey revealed that he likes talking about the bathroom and bathroom related topics.. OMG, I didn't know that he was that funny....
    --yeah trinie..unfortunately it dubbed in the one voice kinda thing from VN not the US version though but since i really want to watch it so i have to sit through and listen to that one man's voice only..---

To Cinnamon,
    I think it is always best in the original language since there are things that just cannot be translated directly. There are things that cannot be translated even into Viet. Yea, if you are only learning Chinese than there are a lot of things that you won't be able to understand, especially in ancient series.I only watch the Viet version to check if the translations are accurate or not. I am not sure if people are subbing this series yet or will sub it... I would but then again, I have a lot of translations on my hands that I have not done yet...I have school soon too.

I forgot which episode it was...I think it was one of his birthday ones. But I think you may have already seen it... However, you may not have understood it since you have to have a pretty decent level of Chinese skills to get all to the funny bathroom humor. I can tell you all about it if you want to know. But it is kind of gross(and funny as well) so I don't know if I want to talk about it in detail on a public forum though...I know that Sam likes to burp and Ren Fu loves to fart though... They are all so funny..

To eternityxdream,
    Thanks for answering my question. No wonder... I had a feeling the Viet dubbed version would not be out so soon. That narration voice is soo annoying.. But don't worry, you will get to see the Viet dubbed version later on.

lol. Actually, I've never seen any of xiezhi's bday celebrations. There are just so many wqyl episodes that I have never got to those yet. . .I have mainly been watching most of the episodes about shaowei. XD But I'll look for them when I get the chance.

yeah. . .considering some of the places i checked on for the viet versions. . .people seemed to like this series. Hope that means there will be a dubbed version soon. My only concern is the dubbing cast. . .some of them have really annoying voices and some of them are really good. . .hopefully the dubbed cast is also good so it will be more enjoyable to watch in viet even though translations won't be perfect.

Trinie, considering the amount of ancient series I have seen, I really have no trouble understanding the eccential story and plot and some dialogue. . .XD just the small details that I may miss occasionally so I used the viet version to clear it up a little, but yeah. . .I know there are still some meanings I will lose in the process. The sad reality of it all. . .you are very lucky to be able to understand the language so well. ^^
    Last edited by Cinnamon; 09-21-07 at 10:54 AM.

Oh so you haven't seen any of Xie Zhi's B-day celebrations? I think you should try to see them when you can because they are sooo funny.. I finally found the links to some of his B-day ones including the bathroom one. If you want the links, let me know ok? I saw some stuff on Shaowei too. I also saw(not on Youtube) some stuff about them talking about Shaowei's hygiene. Gosh was it funny... I also saw one(not WQYL but a different show) where he talked about his family.. It was so touching....(not the one where he talked with his father but a different one).

Yea, I hope they have a good dubbing cast... A bad dubbing cast can ruin the whole series. It finished airing and I think it got good ratings... It depends on which company will do the dubbing. There are some series that do not get dubbed for at least 2-3 years or more depending on which company does the dubbing. Translations can't be perfect and things are always lost in them. I know that for a fact since I do often do translations.

I have seen many many ancient series as well. I am glad that you can still enjoy it even though you don't understand it all. I actually admire you for trying to watch the series even though you don't understand it really well... Honestly, I don't think I would have the time and patience to sit through a series if I don't understand it very well... If you have questions, you can always ask me... But then again, I don't know when I will be watching this series since school is starting for me soon.... I think I will see it when I have a school break.... I don't know if understanding the language well is something lucky for me because I always have to do translations, but I don't mind if I have the time since it makes people so happy when I do them... So hey, why not do them??

arg...no offense but shao bing's character is so annoying and sissy..i dont kno why so many girls fall for him..i dont think he deserve liu tao at all..i cant stand to see any scenes of him and liu tao

Has anyone finished watching this yet? I really want to see it and am still waiting for the DVDs.

I only saw parts of it here and there online, but I don't like watching series online. Therefore, I am also waiting for the actual DVDs. THe DVDs for this series are actually out but it is only the China version in PAL format and I don't like that. I am waiting for the Taiwan or US version of this series on DVD, but I don't know when that will be coming out...

Trinie, I am sure everyone appreciate your translations. . .including me. I wish I know the language well enough to have the courage to post translations. . .but alas, I do not and don't wish to accidentally translate something wrong and confuse people. >_< but I am very glad I know enough to understand the eccentials.

Yeah. . .pal format is kinda annoying cuz it doesn't play on some dvd players. bonniec1, I've seen the ending but not the whole show. It loads too slowly online. . .so I'm waiting to see the rest as well. . .I wonder how long I have to wait. ^^;

TO Cinnamon,
    Thanks for your support, but sadly I am too busy with school now... Also, I don't have access to the series and am way too busy and lazy to wait for it to load since as you know loading takes forever.... That is why I hate watching series online because it takes a very long time to load.Maybe one day when I finally get the series on DVD(whenever that will be). Speaking of translations, I still have some short articles to do... Yea, PAL format is really annoying since all of my DVD players do not play it. I need DVDs in NTSC format. Do you mind PMing me and telling me the ending? I am really curious to know if Xie Zhi's character dies or not... I don't mind spoilers at all... Oh yea, I was thinking of maybe translating Xie Zhi's biographies one day... However, one fan was telling me that I am infringing copyright laws and all so I am kind of scared to do so now.. What do you think though? I was skimming through his biographies the other day and they are sooo touching at some parts... I am sure a lot of his fans would love to read but can't read Chinese... What a big loss for those fans... I was hoping to help them by translating, but am too busy now and none of the fans seem to be supporting me...

I finally bought the DVDs- too bad they are the China version though- but they were very reasonably priced. Xie Zhi doesn't sing the theme songs for this one. If it ends up being a good series, I 'll buy the Taiwanese or Cantonese dubbed version.

To Trinie: I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate your translations, including me. I can read some Chinese, but not enough to be able to read Xie Zhi's book.