Thread: GRE Exam and Grad School

Default GRE Exam and Grad School

I remember there being a thread about this before, but I can't find it =(

Has anyone written it? Apparently the format is still computer-adapted...so basically if you mess up the first few q's, you're screwed?

And how long would you suggest to prep for it? I don't have much time, so I'm thinking maybe a couple hours per week for a month? The math looks really easy to me...Grade 8 math essentially. The verbal seems to be a lot of memorizing vocab and Latin roots, and the writing, do they mark hard?

Thanks.

Also, if you want to apply to grad school at one of the "reach schools", i.e. Harvard, Yale, etc. , what kind of scores do you generally need?

When they say a subject test is "recommended", does that mean you really should do one or else your application is gonna get tossed?

Quote Originally Posted by yearning View Post
    I remember there being a thread about this before, but I can't find it =(

Has anyone written it? Apparently the format is still computer-adapted...so basically if you mess up the first few q's, you're screwed?

And how long would you suggest to prep for it? I don't have much time, so I'm thinking maybe a couple hours per week for a month? The math looks really easy to me...Grade 8 math essentially. The verbal seems to be a lot of memorizing vocab and Latin roots, and the writing, do they mark hard?

Thanks.

Also, if you want to apply to grad school at one of the "reach schools", i.e. Harvard, Yale, etc. , what kind of scores do you generally need?

When they say a subject test is "recommended", does that mean you really should do one or else your application is gonna get tossed?
    i think askign in your school would give better answers. I think gradschool is like applying to college, they look at GPA and w/e test score you took, but having experience with stuff outside school also helps (essentially the same has HS applying to college), i would talk to your advisor about this, they know alot more than we do.

for science departments, from what i've hear, the subject test is pretty much a "must".

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    i think askign in your school would give better answers.
    People in my school/program typically don't write the GRE--it's not required in Canada. I have asked people at my school as well, but I want to get the American perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    for science departments, from what i've hear, the subject test is pretty much a "must".
    The problem is that a lot of them don't even specify which subject test they want...but I guess it's common sense to figure out which ones correlate w/ the research you want to get into. I just don't feel like wasting a lot of money and time doing something I don't really "need" to.

We don't really have advisors...at least I don't think we do. We have the "registrar" but they're so goddamn useless.

The problem is that a lot of them don't even specify which subject test they want...but I guess it's common sense to figure out which ones correlate w/ the research you want to get into. I just don't feel like wasting a lot of money and time doing something I don't really "need" to.

We don't really have advisors...at least I don't think we do. We have the "registrar" but they're so goddamn useless.
    that's pretty weird, we usually have advisor, although i rarely use them, they do give good feedback.

i hear the GRE is not as important as your GPA, your experience, and of course your references (since it possible for professors to pick you out from the bunch--at least from what i've heard). it's one of those things that you don't want to fail, but you don't need to nail either. it also depends on what field you're trying to get into, i suppose.

In terms of GPA for grad school, they only care about course-related senior courses, right? If so, I'm so screwed.....Why are all my higher marks in electives? *groans*

Since I don't have a 4.0 or 3.9+, I guess I better do good on the GRE to show them that I can do well....

I heard publications help a lot. My prof is really slow on the publication thing though....he keeps wanting to improve our results so he can send it off to a high impact journal, which is going to be too late for my applications grrr....