• Xiao Feng using Dog-Beating Stick

3 13.64%
  • 7 Heroes of Wudang using their formation

6 27.27%
  • Demonic Swordsman Dugu Qiubai NOT using any sword theory

1 4.55%
  • Post-16 years Yang Guo employing the Heavy Iron Sword only

8 36.36%
  • Dongfang Bubai NOT using speed as a competitive advantage, i.e. moving super fast not allowed

0 0%
  • Sweeper Monk without vision, hearing, or hands

4 18.18%

Thread: Huashan Tournament for the HYPOTHETICAL, Part II

Default Huashan Tournament for the HYPOTHETICAL, Part II

Previously, we held a "what if" tournament for characters who got MORE powerful than their real attainment. This tournament reverses the trend by putting constraints on characters, making them LESS powerful for the most part. Consider the intriguing scenarios, and cast your votes accordingly.

The candidates are:

-Xiao Feng using the Dog-Beating Stick

-7 Heroes of Wudang using their formation (I don't think we saw this in the novel, right?)

-Demonic Swordsman Dugu Qiubai NOT using any sword theory, i.e. executing sword stances through the hand is NOT allowed

-Post-16 years Yang Guo employing the Heavy Iron Sword only

-Dongfang Bubai NOT using speed as a competitive advantage, i.e. moving super fast not allowed

-Sweeper Monk with his eyes closed, ears plugged (can't hear anything), and hands tied up behind his back.
    Last edited by PJ; 07-17-07 at 10:56 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

It's really hard to tell who wins this time.

I think YG can beat Demonic Swordsman Dugu Qiubai and Xiao Feng in this given situation.

He is somehow familiar with their techniques.

Seven Heroes formation can match with Quanzhen sect's seven master's big differ formation?

IMO, YG still can beat up Quanzhen sect's seven master's big differ formation using his heavy sword.
    He knows Quanzhen sect's kung fu and Nine Yin Manual.

So finally YG stand against either Dongfang Bubai and Sweeper Monk.

I am not well versed with our Mr/Mrs Dongfang Bubai. So I really can't tell anything about him.

Sweeper monk and YG will draw this fight.
    YG can't to anything against the highly enlightened self cultivated monk.
    Neither the monk , being his arms tied up, eyes closed and ears blocked.
    Last edited by odbayarb2000; 07-17-07 at 11:18 AM.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

I'm not sure how well YG knows aobut the QZ's big dipper formation. Yes he knows QZ martiall arts.. but the formation is on a whole new level, correct me if i'm wrong.

and I think YG can beat DFBB. It was said that LHC found a lot of flaws in DFBB's "swordplay" with a needle. THe only reason he couldn't captilize on them was because DFBB was so fast.. that in the next second he changed his stance and he longer had that same flaw. So yea without the speed.. YG can captilize even though he didn't learn the dugu 9 swords

It's true Yg knows only basic swordplay of Quanzhen sect and Big differ formation is an advanced stuff. As we know, Big differ formation and Nine Yin Manual share same aspects in some extents.

So YG has several advantages to stand against or even break it.

YG knows Quanzhen sect kung fu, means he knows the basics

YG knows some parts of Nine Yin Manual. He had an access to the advanced level

YG had a fierce superhuman internal energy which means he has the raw materials.

YG has a Heavy Iron Sword. Great way to exert one's internal energy.

And Given his intelligence, YG can think the way to break Big Differ Formation as HYS did. Not as GJ who spent a lot time to only understand it.

But Wudang Heroes are different case.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Even with all those handicaps, I'm still giving it to the Janitor Monk. His martial arts were just that awesome.

His very existence as a character is lame, but the martial arts were indeed awesome.

Here are 2 excerpts from HSDS detailing the power of Zhang Sanfeng's formation (option #2 in this poll):

这七套武功分别行使,固是各有精妙之处,但若二人合力,则师兄弟相辅相成,攻守
    兼备,威力便即大增。若是三人同使,则比两人同使的威力又强一倍。四人相当于八位高
    手,五人相当于十六位高手,六人相当于三十二位,到得七人齐施,犹如六十四位当世一
    流高手同时出手。当世之间,算得上第一流高手的也不过寥寥二三十人,哪有这等机缘,
    将这许多高手聚合一起?便是集在一起,这些高手有正有邪,或善或恶,又怎能齐心合力
    ?武当七侠成名以来,无往不利,不论多么厉害的劲敌,最多两三人联手,便足以克敌取胜,这“真武七截阵”从 未用过一次。

These 7 sets of martial arts, when utilized disparately, each has its own advantage. But when 2 heroes come together as a unit [in this formation], their combined power is much greater than the sum of their parts. When 3 heroes come together, their combined power is twice as great as 2 heroes. 4 heroes' combined power roughly matches 8 men; 5 hero match 16 men; six heroes match 32 men; and 7 heroes in this formation are roughly equivalent to 64 First Class fighters fighting together. In this world right now, there are at most 20 to 30 peoples who can be considered First Class fighters. There has yet to be any opportunity for all of these First Class fighters to get together [to test the power of this formation]. Since the 7 Heroes of Wudang became known, no matter how great the opponents, at the most 3 heroes were needed to establish a formation to overcome the opponents.

要知武当六侠联手合击,那“真武七截阵”的威力,已足足抵得三十二位一流高手。少林三大神僧纵强,其携同上 山的弟子中纵有深藏不露的硬手,但七人合力,决无相当于三十二位一流高手的实力,乃可断言。

Let it be known that when 6 Heroes of Wudang act as a unit in their formation, their combined forces are no less powerful than 32 First Class fighters. No doubt the 3 Divine Monks of Shaolin [Kongwen, Kongxing, and Kongzhi] are very strong, but even if they attacked along with 4 other extremely capable disciples from Shaolin, the 7 of them would definitely not be a match for 32 First Class fighters at once.

The 3 Kong generation monks of Shaolin + 4 top Shaolin disciples should be close to approaching the level of Yang Guo and Xiao Feng, maybe around 75%. And yet they would not even come close to matching the power of just 6 Heroes of Wudang. Add one more hero from Wudang, the power of the formation will double! Zhang Sanfeng confessed that there is no way for him to fathom even imagining having such divine power as the combined forces of his 7 disciples. It's questionable whether the Sweeper Monk in FULL health would be able to withstand the power of the 7 Heroes of Wudang and Their Formation (which is no less powerful than the combined forces of 64 First Class fighters).

忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I agree with PJ; the Wudang formation was described as an incredibly powerful and a brilliant one devised by Z3F. I voted for DGQB just on principle, but my 'real' vote would have to go to Wudang.

This is the line that sealed it for me:

"当世之间,算得上第一流高手的也不过寥寥二三十人"

In the current world, those who can be considered first class fighters number in no more than the 20's or 30's.

This would then be a reference to the likes of people who, 1 on 1, are at or above the level of the stronger Wudang heroes (20-30 is about accurate, I'd say). The idea that this formation is able to produce the power of 72 people on that level is nothing short of astounding.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 07-17-07 at 04:15 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

But would the Mo Dong 7 Heroes and their almighty formation be able to contend with the unbeatable combination of West Poison Au Yeung Fung and any four of the second generation Cheun Jen 7 Disciples?

The scary part was that Z3F originally was trying to make this martial art for one person. It didn't work of course and he finally laughed and realized what he was trying to do was rather impossible even for him and thus got it to work for "merely" 7 people.

And if I were to be tongue-in-cheek, I'd say that yes they would because it said that even if HYS, the one person, were stronger, he'd still fall under their hands. Nothing said about using greater numbers =D
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 07-17-07 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    The scary part was that Z3F originally was trying to make this martial art for one person. It didn't work of course and he finally laughed and realized what he was trying to do was rather impossible even for him and thus got it to work for "merely" 7 people.

And if I were to be tongue-in-cheek, I'd say that yes they would because it said that even if HYS, the one person, were stronger, he'd still fall under their hands. Nothing said about using greater numbers =D
    Yup. After trying for a while, he laughed and realized that wouldn't it be absolutely ridiculous if one person was able to generate the power of 72 first class elite experts? And thus the formation became a seven-man-formation.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

In that case, wouldn't the 7 Heroes of Wudang using their formation be invincible unless 64 First Class Fighters who can fight in unsion take them on together?

Oh, I almost forgot about Dugu Qiubai and Sweeper Monk. But with all the handicaps present, the win would go to the 7 Heroes of Wudang.

P.S. Everything of martial arts can be considered theory. You're basically rendering Dugu Qiubai unable to do anything in this case then IMHO.

Sweeper monk uses his chi shield to deflect all attacks. He uses his head to tap all other opponents. By emitting chi energy, he can make out shapes of his opponent's body.
    Last edited by sarakoth; 07-18-07 at 12:53 PM.