Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ken's 80s MTV Youtube Video Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The early 1980s was dominated by a form of rock music known as "New Wave," which was a more radio-friendly reinterpretation of the punk rock that emerged in the U. S. and Britain during the late 1970s. Punk rock was too hardcore for the tastes of most pop fans, but New Wave took its most interesting quirks and removed most of its menace to create a new kind of pop. Early New Wave bands included Blondie, Devo, and one of my favorites, the Romantics.
    New Wave was the thing in the '80s and from it came synthpop, a synthesized dominating sound. The best known synthpop artists were Depeche Mode, Erasure, A Flock of Seagulls, Gary Numan, The Human League, New Order, OMD and the Pet Shop Boys. Aside from my obsession with Rick Astley, synthpop was the music genre I was most interested in when I was a teenager.

Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode - Oh my gosh, the clothes! I always want to dance whenever I hear this song
    A Little Respect by Erasure - A really nice song
    Enola Gay by OMD - Great song, weird upbeat sound for such a subject matter
    West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys - Can't talk about the '80s music without mentioning the Pet Shop Boys
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

An underrated band best remembered for their videos.

a-ha - Take on Me
    a-ha - Hunting High and Low
    a-ha - The Sun Always Shines On TV
    a-ha - Manhattan Skyline
    a-ha - Stay On These Roads

Good looking, wonderful vocals, play their own instruments, write their own songs, are good live, what's not to like?

"The Heart Of The Alps" Thun, Switzerland
    Last edited by Daishikaze; 08-10-07 at 09:37 AM.

Eww, hair metal, now THAT is disturbing . The pointy guitars crack me up. To counter balance it, I give you this .

"The Heart Of The Alps" Thun, Switzerland

Hey, be fair, only TS and WASP can even be classified as "Hair Metal" and they weren't really, because their tunes weren't the usual "Hair Metal" fare, since their music was tough as nails.

Also lets not forget that before the Trendy "Hair Metal" (and most of those trendy bands are long gone btw), there was Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and the rest of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal. Heavy Metal was a huge part of the 80s, you can't just erase it from history, no matter how the record companies try. The Bands listed above are still touring to this day and they are still playing to huge crowds all over the world.

Honestly, I didn't knock New Wave, I simply added something from the 80s that was a big part of the decade because it didn't seem anyone else was going to. Seriously, You can't do an 80s music video thread and just cut out a huge part of it just because you didn't appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daishikaze View Post
    Hey, be fair, only TS and WASP can even be classified as "Hair Metal" and they weren't really, because their tunes weren't the usual "Hair Metal" fare, since their music was tough as nails.

Also lets not forget that before the Trendy "Hair Metal" (and most of those trendy bands are long gone btw), there was Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and the rest of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal. Heavy Metal was a huge part of the 80s, you can't just erase it from history, no matter how the record companies try. The Bands listed above are still touring to this day and they are still playing to huge crowds all over the world.

Honestly, I didn't knock New Wave, I simply added something from the 80s that was a big part of the decade because it didn't seem anyone else was going to. Seriously, You can't do an 80s music video thread and just cut out a huge part of it just because you didn't appreciate it.
    OK calm down, I was just teasing you. New Wave is as cheesy as Hair Metal and quite unmanly too. Look at Depeche Mode's clothes and the way David Gahan danced, not something I'd find cool today. The '80s was an experimental and extreme decade in looks; everything was out of proportion so you can't help but laugh about it now.

It's obvious that I'm not a fan of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, but anyone can add any music genre they please, but expect people to make comments about it. I really don't mind if people would say negative things about what I like, it's just part of the discussion. Actually, I wish that people would say something about what I posted, good or bad.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 08-11-07 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Actually, I wish that people would say something about what I posted, good or bad.
    Okay. I was into just about everything in the 80's. New Wave, Metal, Punk, it was all good back then.

Anyone remember these guys? I have one of their albums - don't know what I was thinking . Unskinny bop-bop-bop, hehe. They're still around too.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Lwtcdi.png')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/22/Talk_Dirty_To_Me.jpg/200px-Talk_Dirty_To_Me.jpg')
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Could it be 1980s videos without Michael Jackson? Here's "Billie Jean" from 1983...a long lost time when Michael Jackson was regarded as a great singer and dancer, not a freak.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://creoleindc.typepad.com/rantings_of_a_creole_prin/images/5b200603035d20billie20jean.jpg')

Speaking of 1980s superstars, here's the "Material Girl", Madonna.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://jackwolak.com/7/8146.jpg')

Bruce Springsteen, "Born In The USA"

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2007/01/1Bruce-Springsteen-Born-In-The-USA-64774.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    Okay. I was into just about everything in the 80's. New Wave, Metal, Punk, it was all good back then.

Anyone remember these guys? I have one of their albums - don't know what I was thinking . Unskinny bop-bop-bop, hehe. They're still around too.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f0/Lwtcdi.png')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/22/Talk_Dirty_To_Me.jpg/200px-Talk_Dirty_To_Me.jpg')
    I know the band, but I can't remember any of its songs. What are some of its greatest hits?

Bruce Springsteen, "Born In The USA"
    That is the only song I know of Bruce Springsteen. Actually, I know one more song from the movie "Philadelphia", but I don't remember what it sounds like anymore. Needless to say, I'm no big fan.

Could it be 1980s videos without Michael Jackson? Here's "Billie Jean" from 1983...a long lost time when Michael Jackson was regarded as a great singer and dancer, not a freak.
    Michael Jackson and Boy George were the first pop artists I knew. Remember Michael's red jacket with zippers? A few kids at school had that jacket. Me, the only pop singer T-shirt I ever owned and wore was of Boy George. Talking about the guy, here's Culture Club's Karma Chameleon.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/CultureClub.jpg')

That is the only song I know of Bruce Springsteen. Actually, I know one more song from the movie "Philadelphia", but I don't remember what it sounds like anymore. Needless to say, I'm no big fan.
    "Hungry Heart," "Glory Days," and "Born To Run" are also good Springsteen tracks.

Any fans of Modern Talking here?

Check out the State of the Art special effects and 80s Big Hair with tight jeans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcNKOlAZeLw
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Yea Modern Talking, Bad Boys Blue, New Wave, Scorpion, Journey, Rush, Queen.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Here are two videos with similar artistic style. I wonder if they were directed by the same person.

New Order - True Faith
    Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy

I know the band, but I can't remember any of its songs. What are some of its greatest hits?
    Their biggest hit was Every Rose has its Thorn (1988).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiEpLI5exrU

Talk Dirty to Me (1986) was pretty big too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4qVJnhZwWY

Not as well known but good therapy for anorexics is Unskinny Bop (1990).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKD2zcYgzgY
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Videos directed by photographer Anton Corbijn

Art of Noise - Beat Box
    Propaganda - Dr. Mabuse
    David Sylvian - Red Guitar
    Echo & the Bunnymen - Seven Seas
    David Sylvian - The Ink In The Well
    U2 - Pride (In the Name of Love)
    Echo & The Bunnymen - Bring On The Dancing Horses
    Golden Earring - Quiet Eyes
    Depeche Mode - A Question Of Time
    Echo & The Bunnymen - Bedbugs & Ballyhoo
    Depeche Mode - Strangelove
    Depeche Mode - Pimpf
    Echo & the Bunnymen - The Game
    Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again
    Echo & The Bunnymen - Lips Like Sugar
    Depeche Mode - Behind The Wheel
    Joni Mitchell - My Secret Place
    Joy Division - Atmosphere
    Front 242 - Headhunter
    Ian McCulloch - Faith and Healing
    Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.corbijn.co.uk/images/photo_blackim_u2.jpg')
    Last edited by Canuck21; 08-19-07 at 02:11 AM.

"Hungry Heart," "Glory Days," and "Born To Run" are also good Springsteen tracks.
    "Dancing in the Dark" was another hit song by Springsteen. MTV used to play this music video all the time. Can you guess who appeared at the end of the video?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8VZgJkpeg