Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing laptops

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    but there is a reason why those brand names exist:

they test the components and configurations so that you get optimum performance. they also provide service, warranty, and though we have had personal computers for the past 20 years, there arent many people who are computer litterate, and in corporations and large business, they can't afford the budget of keeping their own IT/Network support staff capable of dealing with any hardware and software issues.

Hmm thinking about it now, I haven't seen that much articles about product reviews in magazines where they put laptops made by Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc into extreme tests such as dropping them from waist height, sub zero temperatures, high temperatures, coffee spills, etc. 8 years ago a lot of PC magazines had such articles, but I haven't seen one lately.

personal users like us may not need to buy those brand names, but busineses do. Dell has one of the best service/support teams in the world and for business and companies they can provide such service/support at a cheaper rate then what it would cost to that company to have their own private IT/Network troubleshooting team.

Only large businesses and international corporations may have their own internal teams as the benefits of having their own staff would outweigh the large budget needed to keep such a department.
    Yes, agree. I was thinking more to our personal needs, not corporations. The company where I work with uses Dell computers. When buying no names, it's good if you know what you want in your computer and know what is compatible with what. If not, than brand name it is.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Yes, agree. I was thinking more to our personal needs, not corporations. The company where I work with uses Dell computers. When buying no names, it's good if you know what you want in your computer and know what is compatible with what. If not, than brand name it is.
    still I doubt that a computer we put together ourselves would tollerate as much pain as a brand name computer.

still I doubt that a computer we put together ourselves would tollerate as much pain as a brand name computer.
    Are you talking about desktop computers or laptops? For laptops, there's no choice, but to go with brand names. For desktop computers though, I totally disagree with you. If you know anything about computer hardware, you'd know that YOU can build a darn fine machine 10 times better than a brand name. That's if you know what you're doing.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

I recommend buying a cheapish notebook and overclock it like crazy. It'll get you what you need for half the price. After college, you can get a new computer if this one burns out.

OMG! i feel ya, creamcheese. i'm looking for a laptop to buy for college (wtf, does the school requirement really matter!?) and i don't know shit about computers. i suck T_T can somebody please tell me what is the System Memory RAM and the Hard Drive Size..what's the difference -__-
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.

I should of had read this thread before placing my order for a laptop at dell. I ordered an Inspiron 1520 for $1,500.00

Someone tell me if I got screwed! I'll just cut and paste the basic stuff I see you guys talking about since I'm very clueless when it comes to laptops.

-Inspiron 1520, Intel Core 2 Duo T7100, 1.8GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache
    -Jet Black Color with Matte Finish
    -2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
    -Anti-glare, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
    -128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G Insp 1520
    -160G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    -Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English
    -Integrated High Definition Audio 2.0
    -Intel 3945 WLAN (802.11a/g) Mini Card
    -85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Inspiron 1520
    -3 Year Limited Warranty
    -CompleteCare Accidental DamageProtection, Inspiron, 3 Year
    -1 yr Automated PC Tune Up

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    I should of had read this thread before placing my order for a laptop at dell. I ordered an Inspiron 1520 for $1,500.00

Someone tell me if I got screwed! I'll just cut and paste the basic stuff I see you guys talking about since I'm very clueless when it comes to laptops.

-3 Year Limited Warranty
    it's ok, just don't do it again next time , laptop good great buy are under 300, good buys under 500, ok buy at 600+ and anything over 1000 is a little over price, but it's ok, u'll get decent performance out of it. enjoy the new laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    it's ok, just don't do it again next time , laptop good great buy are under 300, good buys under 500, ok buy at 600+ and anything over 1000 is a little over price, but it's ok, u'll get decent performance out of it. enjoy the new laptop.
    I'm so glad you're okay with my purchase dear.
    I promise I won't do it again without your approval first.

The weird thing was with all that upgrade and stuff, the dell guy on the phone told me that this laptop will be good for 3-4 years without anymore upgrades. I already have a desktop and want to get a new desktop after I get bored of this laptop. I hope it won't give me any problems for the next 3-4 years like he promised.

ok but what about the specifications when compared?

how about the asus? see any that you liked?

also I've found that prices in asia tend to be cheaper then anywhere else since most of the electronic components are assembled there.
    Yes. Technological items in Asia tends to be cheaper that those in the USA for certain brands. You will also not be able to find certain laptop brands in Asia just like we can't find certain laptop brands in USA.

Anyway, do you guys have LG laptops over in the USA? I am using LG now. Great brand.

-3 Year Limited Warranty
    I am not sure about the laptop prices in USA, but over in Singapore, for that price, that laptop price is considered slightly over-priced.

But you have got good specs for your $$$. You have a Core 2 Duo, T7100 and Intel WLAN. I am not sure about your motherboard, but if its a Intel 965 chipset, your laptop is considered a Santa Rosa Technology enhanced laptop, and with a Nvidia 8400M GS, that laptop can last you for at least 4 years.

And 1 more thing for Santa Rosa Technology, you should have a enhanced Intel Turbo Memory as well.
    Last edited by YongJian; 08-23-07 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Missing Info

Quote Originally Posted by YongJian View Post
    I am not sure about the laptop prices in USA, but over in Singapore, for that price, that laptop price is considered slightly over-priced.

But you have got good specs for your $$$. You have a Core 2 Duo, T7100 and Intel WLAN. I am not sure about your motherboard, but if its a Intel 965 chipset, your laptop is considered a Santa Rosa Technology enhanced laptop, and with a Nvidia 8400M GS, that laptop can last you for at least 4 years.

And 1 more thing for Santa Rosa Technology, you should have a enhanced Intel Turbo Memory as well.

In the US that price that GuGu posted for his/her dell inspiron laptop is considered over priced too, because on sites such as www.cdw.com you can get the same thing for about at least $200 cheaper. However the price GuGu posted might probably due to customizations instead of buying already assembled.

okay, was my question really that dumb that no one bothered to answer?!

<3 them.

The weird thing was with all that upgrade and stuff, the dell guy on the phone told me that this laptop will be good for 3-4 years without anymore upgrades. I already have a desktop and want to get a new desktop after I get bored of this laptop. I hope it won't give me any problems for the next 3-4 years like he promised.
    he lied to you, nothing in the computer world last more than 6 months before something else new come out, but as for the "need" to upgrade it really depends on you, hell i can use a pentium 4 and still do all my school work, but playing is a whole different thing haha.

BTW, gugu is in Australia, i think australian money is a little less than US dollars, so 1500 australian dollar isn't all that bad.

PS: yeah, make sure everything go through me 1st lol.
    Last edited by warlock110; 08-23-07 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatlady View Post
    okay, was my question really that dumb that no one bothered to answer?!

I don't think so, i brought in the laptop and all they looked to see was if it has enough ram and hard drive space. But you gotta make sure your network adapter is compatible with the school internet.

I got myself a Vaio CR 120/E, the colored ones, for $1100 at circuit city. $250 off. Good buy???

Specs:
    • Intel Core 2 Duo T5470 (1.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    • Genuine Windows XP Home or Windows Vista Home Basic
    • 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife
    • 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
    • 120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    • 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability
    • 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    • Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
    • High Definition Audio 2.0
    • 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    • 1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Mail-in Service
    • 10GB for 1yr Online Backup by Dell Datasafe
    • 1 Year Dell Automated PC Tuneup
    Dell SB Vostro 1500
    569 shipped + tax if u need to pay tax.

Quote Originally Posted by creamcheese007 View Post
    I don't think so, i brought in the laptop and all they looked to see was if it has enough ram and hard drive space. But you gotta make sure your network adapter is compatible with the school internet.

I got myself a Vaio CR 120/E, the colored ones, for $1100 at circuit city. $250 off. Good buy???
    OMFG! i was considering that! i just need help choosing the colors!(haha, if u guys couldn't tell, i'm really indecisive..first the digital camera, now this)! but $1100? u gotta tell me howwww u got that deaL

<3 them.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    he lied to you, nothing in the computer world last more than 6 months before something else new come out, but as for the "need" to upgrade it really depends on you, hell i can use a pentium 4 and still do all my school work, but playing is a whole different thing haha.

BTW, gugu is in Australia, i think australian money is a little less than US dollars, so 1500 australian dollar isn't all that bad.

PS: yeah, make sure everything go through me 1st lol.
    LOL, when did I moved to Australia?

I'm from Hawaii!

And I didn't add the other photoshop programs and stuff I had installed on it too. That's probably where the few extra hundreds went into.

lol NO computer last 3-4 years honey and since u never turn ur computer off, it will last 2 years at max
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    lol NO computer last 3-4 years honey and since u never turn ur computer off, it will last 2 years at max
    Shuddup! This desktop I have has lasted me a good 3 years now! And I was told to never turn it off! I can log off but don't turn it off. I don't know where I got the idea. Plus this desktop is still working fine, it was just the mouse that was giving me problems so I went out to get a new one. And now this computer works perfectly again. And you're making me late for work so stop talking to me!

LOL, when did I moved to Australia?

I'm from Hawaii!

And I didn't add the other photoshop programs and stuff I had installed on it too. That's probably where the few extra hundreds went into.
    i dunno, news around here that you're from australia, so that's what i thought.

there's a big chance gugu is japanese (another mystery solve lol)