View Poll Results: How would you like the adaptation to be?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tragic love story of Bao Yu & Dai Yu - Romance is the one for me!

1 11.11%
  • Wang Xi Feng rise and downfall - I want all those back-stabbing, plotting storyline!

3 33.33%
  • Doesn't care, as long as it's filled with great looking cast and gorgeous costume

3 33.33%
  • Other (please suggest in your posts)

2 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If TVB decide to film adaptation from Dream of the Red Chamber (红楼梦)

Default If TVB decide to film adaptation from Dream of the Red Chamber (红楼梦)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8662/adachoiredchamberbs8pd3.jpg')

8 months after TVB released the sales presentation clip of A Beauty of Versatility, there's still a lot of people expressing interest in this series even though no confirmation of the real series being filmed yet.

In the sales presentation clip, TVB decides to deviate slightly from the original story, choosing to emphasis the story from antagonist Wang Xi Feng's viewpoint instead. Ada played the role of Wang in the sales presentation clip.

If TVB really decides to adapt this famous novel, would you like:

1. If TVB stick to the original story with emphasis on the ill-fated romance between Jia Bao Yu & Lin Dai Yu?

2. Filmed a version as suggested in the clip above ala [Heart of Greed] ancient version?

3. Or you doesn't really care about how the stories go, as long as there are eye candy? The story have lots of beautiful looking characters.... :P

Who would be your pick of cast and what role they will play?

Note: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/WileyCDA/...ber.id-92.html is a good english site to learn about this story and its characters.
    Last edited by sehseh; 07-27-07 at 01:48 AM.

My pick:

Wang Xi Feng = Ada Choi, Maggie Cheung

Jia Bao Yu = Fred Cheng, Sammul Chan

Lin Dai Yu = Leila Tong (no idea who else in TVB can portray this role)

Xue Bao Chai = Fala Chan, Linda Chung

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Jia Bao Yu = Fred Cheng, Sammul Chan
    We think so alike.

Other than Oscar Chan, the other 2 actors that pop up in my mind is Fred Cheng and Sammul Chan.

I choose option 2 i.e. Wang Xi Feng rise and downfall, not becuase I particularly like the WAB, HOG backstabbing storyline, but because Wang Xi Feng is an interesting character. She was mostly vilified in the book, but it's undeniable that she's a strong woman and a complex character. So, I would like to see things from her POV. It's certainly more interesting than the Xue Bao Chai - Jia Bao Yu - Lin Dai Yu love triangle.

Jia Bao Yu = Fred Cheng, Sammul Chan, Oscar Chan

Lin Dai Yu = Tavia Yeung, Fiona Sit (after watching TOB, I'm not keen on Leila potraying a gentle and physically weak character. Tavia, on the other hand, aced her potrayal of the well brought up gentle girl in LOW)

Xue Bao Chai = Myolie Wu, Linda Chung
    Last edited by kidd; 07-25-07 at 05:10 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    We think so alike.

Other than Oscar Chan, the other 2 actors that pop up in my mind is Fred Cheng and Sammul Chan.

I choose option 2 i.e. Wang Xi Feng rise and downfall, not becuase I particularly like the WAB, HOG backstabbing storyline, but because Wang Xi Feng is an interesting character. She was mostly vilified in the book, but it's undeniable that she's a strong woman and a complex character. So, I would like to see things from her POV. It's certainly more interesting than the Xue Bao Chai - Jia Bao Yu - Lin Dai Yu love triangle.

Jia Bao Yu = Fred Cheng, Sammul Chan, Oscar Chan

Lin Dai Yu = Tavia Yeung, Fiona Sit (after watching TOB, I'm not keen on Leila potraying a gentle and physically weak character. Tavia, on the other hand, aced her potrayal of the well brought up gentle girl in LOW)

Xue Bao Chai = Myolie Wu, Linda Chung
    Great mind think alike

Though Myolie's round face fit the decription of Bao Chai, somehow I feel that she lacked the refinement and poise of Bao Chai.

Her personality fit more like Bao Yu's maid Qingwen (brash, feisty) but then again, Qingwen is very beautiful (not that Myolie is not beautiful, she is pretty but not Dai Yu like beautiful).

The reason I picked Linda is because I think she have potential as a reserved looking beauty, while Fala have a very intelligent and charming look. But both girls very skinny

Who'd you like to be Jia Lian; Wang Xi Feng womanising husband?
    Last edited by sehseh; 07-25-07 at 05:31 AM.

Though Myolie's round face fit the decription of Bao Chai, somehow I feel that she lacked the refinement and poise of Bao Chai.
    Actually, I don't remember the description of Bao Chai's physical attribute in the novel. I just thought that Myolie could do this role because of her versatility in acting. I did consider Fala for awhile, but ended up replacing her with Linda because I thought she looks too mature to play a teenager and honestly, can you see her with Fred Cheng?

I put in Fiona Sit as Lin Dai Yu precisely because she looks young and dainty and won't look too far older than Oscar Chan and Fred Cheng and she matches Sammul well in TA and OTFB.

Who'd you like to be Jia Lian; Wang Xi Feng womanising husband?
    Cheung Chung Chi.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://bbs.51lrc.com/UploadFile1/2006/01/200612023464923317.jpg')

Just finish watching OTFB and now watching Dicey Business and can't help seeing how handsome he is.

TVB should give more larger roles.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-25-07 at 11:56 AM.

who is fred cheng?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3823/normalfred12qt8ph.jpg')

More pictures of Fred Cheng : http://post.baidu.com/f?kz=112729746

Spcnet thread: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14485
    Last edited by kidd; 07-25-07 at 06:13 AM.

Cheung Chung Chi.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://bbs.51lrc.com/UploadFile1/2006/01/200612023464923317.jpg')

Just finish watching OTFB and now watching Dicey Business and can't help seeing how handsome he is.

TVB should give more larger roles.
    Poor guy, always stereotyped with these kind of roles (jerk,womaniser etc) Even you start stereotyping him liao

Mok Ka Yiu is also a good choice

HAH, only shallow people would pick option 3.

OMG, the old one by Mainland China, Jia Bao Yu was played by a girl or was that a guy? I saw on youtube, there was a girl playing JBY and then there is a version where a guy who looked a bit girlish playing the role.

I rather they stay faithful to the ill-fated romance between JBY and LDY and then add some plotting and scheming into it as well then it would become a real block-buster type of drama! I mean romance, backstabbing AND scheming, what's not to like?

OH! THAT GUY! Cheung Chung Chi! Yeah, He always plays those jerks, womanizers, traitors, and bad sons in serials. I'd like to see him in a different role. But he's good in his roles so far, really makes me want to slap him so far. But I don't hate him. I'd hate Kenneth Ma for playing those roles because gah, his face is just easy to hate..
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Poor guy, always stereotyped with these kind of roles (jerk,womaniser etc) Even you start stereotyping him liao

Mok Ka Yiu is also a good choice
    Well, since Wang Xi Feng is the main character and played by Ada Choi, her onscreen partner will be at least half good if not fully good with a few flaws.

If Wang Xi Feng is the main character, TVB will sure make her more sympathetic than in the novel. TVB will do the same to her other half.

Agree that Mok Ka Yiu will be a good choice too.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://fj.51tv.net/tvb/html/detail/images/jsfx/jdfy_010.jpg')
    Last edited by kidd; 07-25-07 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    HAH, only shallow people would pick option 3.

OMG, the old one by Mainland China, Jia Bao Yu was played by a girl or was that a guy? I saw on youtube, there was a girl playing JBY and then there is a version where a guy who looked a bit girlish playing the role.

I rather they stay faithful to the ill-fated romance between JBY and LDY and then add some plotting and scheming into it as well then it would become a real block-buster type of drama! I mean romance, backstabbing AND scheming, what's not to like?

OH! THAT GUY! Cheung Chung Chi! Yeah, He always plays those jerks, womanizers, traitors, and bad sons in serials. I'd like to see him in a different role. But he's good in his roles so far, really makes me want to slap him so far. But I don't hate him. I'd hate Kenneth Ma for playing those roles because gah, his face is just easy to hate..
    I'm not familiar with the past adaptation of DORC, but if I'm not mistaken, most of Bao Yu are portrayed by actress. I guess this have to do with Bao Yu being a young, pretty teenage boy.

p.s. I like your avatar

There was a maid who was a bit older than Jia Bao Yu to whom Bao Yu gave his virginity. The girl was very devoted to Jia Bao Yu, refuse to go home to her family, refuse to marry to another, contented at being Jia Bao Yu's concubine or mistress. What's her name? I forgot. I think Fala Chan can play that part. The girl seems intelligent and mature.

Btw, there was one version of "Hong Lou Meng' that starred Brigitte Lin as Jia Bao Yu, Sylvia Chang as Lin Dai Yu and Michelle Yim as Xue Bao Chai.
    Last edited by kidd; 07-27-07 at 03:15 AM.

There was a maid who was a bit older than Jia Bao Yu to whom Bao Yu gave his virginity. The girl was very devoted to Jia Bao Yu, refuse to go home to her family, refuse to marry to another, contended at being Jia Bao Yu's concubine or mistress. What's her name? I forgot. I think Fala Chan can play that part. The girl seems intelligent and mature.

Btw, there was one version of "Hong Lou Meng' that starred Brigitte Lin as Jia Bao Yu, Sylvia Chang as Lin Dai Yu and Michelle Yim as Xue Bao Chai.
    Xiren (Invading Fragrance) - Baoyu's principle maid and his unofficial concubine (at that period in Chinese history, a man often has sexual relations with his maids and these maids are only honored with the title of a second wife (concubine) after the man marries his principal wife from a proper matching family). Originally the maid of the Dowager, Xiren was given to Baoyu because of her extreme loyalty toward the master she serves. Considerate and forever worrisome over Baoyu, she is his first adolescent sexual encounter during the early chapters of the novel. Her name, Xiren, refers to a line of classical poetry that says "In an enclosed room, the fragrance of the flowers invade one's senses, sending one into raptures over its warmth"; it was given her by Jia Baoyu after he learned that her surname was Hua, or "flower".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_of_the_Red_Chamber

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3823/normalfred12qt8ph.jpg')

More pictures of Fred Cheng : http://post.baidu.com/f?kz=112729746

Spcnet thread: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14485
    dude that guy is a ke le fe
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    dude that guy is a ke le fe
    Dude. This is a 'what if' scenerio. We can pick whoever we one to play the role. No need to follow TVB's hierarchy.

Anyway, he has a pretty major role in Forensic Heroes. You can say he's a 2nd or 3rd line actor, but certainly not a kelefe. And the guy actually has quite a lot of fans looking at response on forums and activities in his website.

Are you referring to this CCTV version? $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.china-guide.com/entertainment/hongloumeng4.jpg')

Jia Bao Yu is played by actor, Ouyang Fen Qiang. He does look like a female back then.

Xiren (Invading Fragrance) - Baoyu's principle maid and his unofficial concubine (at that period in Chinese history, a man often has sexual relations with his maids and these maids are only honored with the title of a second wife (concubine) after the man marries his principal wife from a proper matching family). Originally the maid of the Dowager, Xiren was given to Baoyu because of her extreme loyalty toward the master she serves. Considerate and forever worrisome over Baoyu, she is his first adolescent sexual encounter during the early chapters of the novel. Her name, Xiren, refers to a line of classical poetry that says "In an enclosed room, the fragrance of the flowers invade one's senses, sending one into raptures over its warmth"; it was given her by Jia Baoyu after he learned that her surname was Hua, or "flower".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_of_the_Red_Chamber
    Somehow I never quite manage to bring myself to like Xiren. And that applies to Xue Bao Chai.

My pick on the cast:

Wang Xifeng - 1st choice: Sheren Tang ; 2nd choice: Ada Choi
    Jia Baoyu - hmm...maybe Fred Cheng
    Lin Daiyu - Tavia Yeung
    Grandma Jia - Lai Suen
    Lady Wang - Law Goon Lam

Cheung Chung Chi does remind me of Jia Lian Poor fellow.

Romance of Jia Baoyu and Lin Daiyu (not to forget Xue Baochai) + backstabbing + beautiful costumes + tears + blood....all in the drama
    Last edited by BearBearNweather; 07-27-07 at 03:55 AM.

TVB is known to change and rewrite stories so I highly doubt they will be faithful to the original story.The old China version also heavily deviated from the novel. I hope that TVB will remain at least somewhat faithful to the novel... As for the cast, hm.... I don't see that many actors/actress from TVB that can portray the role. ALso, China is filming a remake right now so I don't know if TVB's version will be able to compete with China's new version. Is TVB truly going to make an adaption of this novel or are we just assuming that they will??

But one thing for sure is that I really hope that they will not have a girl playing Jia Bao Yu... I really hate it when they have females play male roles...
    Last edited by Trinie; 07-27-07 at 05:45 AM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    TVB is known to change and rewrite stories so I highly doubt they will be faithful to the original story. I hope that they will though... As for the cast, hm.... I don't see that many actors/actress from TVB that can portray the role. ALso, China is filming a remake right now so I don't know if TVB's version will be able to compete with China's new version.
    I'm sure TVB can compete. TVB has lots of staunch supporters who only watch TVB series. My video rental lady once told me that some customers immediate write off any series that has dubbed voices or have majority mainland actors (e.g. The Conquest and Vigilante Vagabond). They won't even give these series a chance.

TVB will have their own audience that is used to TVB style of pacing, acting and lighting. They will prefer the TVB version.

Anyway, this is a 'what if' scenerio. We are just having fun assigning actors to roles in the series. This series might not even come to fruition for all we know. Lets not veer towards a 'TVB vs Mainland' debate. This kind of debate is more suitable to put in here A Beauty of Versatility - Ada Choi, Anne Heung, Natalie Tong, Bernice Liu, more!
    Last edited by kidd; 07-27-07 at 06:34 AM.

Ok, we are just assuming that they will film this series.... Sorry, I was not trying to veer towards a TVB vs China debate. I guess that is true that there are some people who will ONLY see TVB series(wait actually some of my cousins and relatives are like that). I still watch TVB from time to time, but nowadays am watching Taiwan, China, Singapore or series since TVB series are going downhill.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

My choice: (for the looks)

- Jia Baoyu - Julian Cheung/Sammul Chan (big eyes, small lips, girly looking)

- Lin Daiyu - Linda Chung (pretty, innocent face, very small lips like typical pretty girls in acient time, has a sadness and poor look on her face when playing sad roles!)

- Xue Bao Chai (pretty, round face, can portray evil look really well!)

Other characters i dont remember who is who so no comment!