Thread: Fatherland

Default Fatherland

Just finished the entire 70 episode series (ending with Fatherland Part III - American Dream). My immediate thoughts were "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED HERE." ^infinity

Question to HK series experts or those who had seen the series during its initial airing in HK back in 1980, or just plain know, what's the story behind the horrendous ending?

SPOILER!!!
    Did (Cantonese) Gow Gun seriously not make it back to his village to see his dying wife? Did he seriously bolt back to America, ditching his family (a family that had waited for him for 6 years). Did he seriously go back to America to live with that woman so soon after his wife died (a wife that died longing for him to come back), a wife that had stayed so true to him? ^infinity

END OF SPOILER!!!!

Was there some salary dispute between the producers and ATV, did the main actor Lau Chi Wing not want to film anymore, why in the world would they want to make an ending like that? For the LOVE OF ALL THINGS THAT ARE GOOD, WHY OH WHY???? It totally destroyed all the good feelings I developed for the series in the first 69 epidodes. After seeing the ending I felt like I just wasted 4 weeks of my life - THAT'S NOT HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED. This series was on its way to becoming my favorite series of all time, now I would have to slot it as one of the worst.
    HK series alfacianadoes who know, please tell me how any why did this happen?
    Last edited by bobbywu; 07-30-07 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu View Post
    Just finished the entire 70 episode series (ending with Fatherland Part III - American Dream). My immediate thoughts were "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED HERE." ^infinity

Question to HK series experts or those who had seen the series during its initial airing in HK back in 1980, what's the story behind the horrendous ending?

SPOILER!!!
    Did (Cantonese) Gow Gun seriously not make it back to his village to see his dying wife? Did he seriously bolt back to America, ditching his family (a family that had waited for him for 6 years). Did he seriously go back to America to live with that woman so soon after his wife died (a wife that died longing for him to come back), a wife that had stayed so true to him? ^infinity

END OF SPOILER!!!!

Was there some salary dispute between the producers and ATV, did the main actor Lau Chi Wing not want to film anymore, why in the world would they want to make an ending like that? For the LOVE OF ALL THINGS THAT ARE GOOD, WHY OH WHY???? It totally destroyed all the good feelings I developed for the series in the first 69 epidodes. After seeing the ending I felt like I just wasted 4 weeks of my life - THAT'S NOT HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED. This series was on its way to becoming my favorite series of all time, now I would have to slot it as one of the worst.
    HK series alfacianadoes who know, please tell me how any why did this happen?
    This is Dai Dei Yan Ching, isn't it?

I can't remember much about this serial, but I distinctly remember hating Kow Kan quite a fair bit in my youth. Maybe he wasn't meant to be a good man?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    This is Dai Dei Yan Ching, isn't it?

I can't remember much about this serial, but I distinctly remember hating Kow Kan quite a fair bit in my youth. Maybe he wasn't meant to be a good man?
    Yep, it's Dai Dei Yan Ching.

SPOILERS!

I didn't like him much for most of Fatherland (Part I), but I began to like and respect him when he sold himself to America so his family could have some money. There was a scene in the first episode of Fatherland (Part III- American Dream) where we find out that he always carried a letter that his wife had wrote him, and that he had the first few sentences memorized word for word because he couldnt' read. I found that scene very touching and right in line with the theme of the series - which in IMHO are family is the most important thing in the world and there's no place like home becasue that's where family is at.

Then that crap with the last episode, the producers pulled the chair right from under me and crushed my heart. That was so inconsistent with what happened earlier. It looked so rush and out of place. I know that in the theme music clips (the beginning of each episode where the theme song is played to various clips of the entire series) there was a clip of Kow Kan putting his head on the head of that lady in America, but there was also a clip of him hugging his wife - looking like that they reunited. The strange thing is that clip of him reuniting with his wife was never shown in the series. The big question is did the producers initially intended for a different ending? Did they tack on the ending of Kow Kan going back to America because some production plans suddently got changed? I seriously don't think the producers intended for Kow Kan to being an ahole in the serious, it was just very sudden.

END OF SPOILERS

I was so into this series, now I am losing sleep still thinking about the ending (No I'm am not writing hyperbolically). What a shame that it ended like that. Love has turned into hate.
    Last edited by bobbywu; 07-30-07 at 10:36 AM.

accidental double posting