Thread: Need a Martial Art

Default Need a Martial Art

Please apologize if I'm abusing this forum, but it seemed a logical place to look for this type of information. I'm currently playing in a tabletop roleplaying game set during the Warring States period. I need help devising a few martial arts that use the sword as main weapon. Ideas, suggestions, complete descriptions are all welcome. What I need are four or five techniques, using the sword. The techniques may or may not be woven around a common theme. Here are a few guidelines:
    • Must use sword.
    • Must be somewhat rare.
    • Must be powerful. Let's assume the person who knows this martial art is the last of his clan, and one of top 5 fighters in the Martial Arts world.
    Let me hear suggestions.

Aha! Look no further then the Legend that is SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan for the peak of perfection in the sword!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Aha! Look no further then the Legend that is SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan for the peak of perfection in the sword!
    I think you'd better describe it for him, CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I think you'd better describe it for him, CC.
    I knew it! You have become a closet fan of the Great SWORD GOD! Sneakily checking all threads in the feverish desire to see his mighty feats expounded yet again!
    Last edited by CC; 07-31-07 at 12:23 AM.

I knew it! You have become a closet fan of the Great SWORD GOD! Sneakily checking all threads in the feverish hope to see his mighty feats expounded yet again!
    If I say I love SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan ten times, will you read my GUNDAM fanfic?

If I say I love SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan ten times, will you read my GUNDAM fanfic?
    Gee, Kenny, now you're bargaining and haggling with people to read your fanfics? That's just too desperate, even for you.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Gee, Kenny, now you're bargaining and haggling with people to read your fanfics? That's just too desperate, even for you.
    When it comes to promoting my fanfic, I'm a shameless promotion whor*. It's true.

When it comes to promoting my fanfic, I'm a shameless promotion whor*. It's true.
    You know, if I have the time, I might just read it.

You need to have Gundam fight competitions in your Fanfic! GUNDAM FIGHT! READY,,,, GO!

Tell the forum your Gundam pilots are named Guo Jing, Yang Guo and Xiao Feng. They'll be all over your thread in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kwekmh View Post
    You know, if I have the time, I might just read it.
    Thanks. I'd appreciate it.

Nice work starting up your own fanfic, by the way.

Tell the forum your Gundam pilots are named Guo Jing, Yang Guo and Xiao Feng. They'll be all over your thread in minutes.
    Will they settle for hot girls from the 23rd Century instead?

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan View Post
    You need to have Gundam fight competitions in your Fanfic! GUNDAM FIGHT! READY,,,, GO!
    Wrong kind of GUNDAM, Khan.

Looks like we're not helping Dwarin with his request much in this thread. Sorry, man.

Wrong kind of GUNDAM, Khan.

Looks like we're not helping Dwarin with his request much in this thread. Sorry, man.
    Quite true... maybe I can try to help. Anyway, GUNDAM competitions can be found in G GUNDAM right?

Here's an idea that I think might be useful. You can use this idea as a basis for more advanced techniques.

Shooting Star 3 Swords

This swordplay consists of only three moves. However, most people are unable to avoid even the very first move. This swordplay mainly emphasizes on speed and power just like a shooting star. The speed is unimaginable and no one has been known to survive the 3 swords!
    The moves, however, are not only extremely fast but also very complex and ingenious. This makes the moves even more unpredictable!

Move no. 1: This move relies mainly on speed. The sword is aimed at the opponent's vital spot and at lightning speed, the sword strikes towards the target! This sword also strikes out from the most unpredictable position and aims at the most unpredictable spot.

Move no. 2: This move is not only fast but extremely strong too. Coupled with immense internal energy, the sword also takes the concept of the first move. It drains the user of his internal energy quickly if used repeatedly.

Move no. 3: This is the most deadliest move of all! Taking the concepts of the first two move, you concentrate all your internal energy into the sword. You use all of your power and will to strike; the sword's speed will be even faster and deadlier! It will be impossible for the opponent to dodge as the speed and ferocity of this sword are too powerful.

This is just a basis. You can feel free to name the moves yourself, explain the different complexity of the different moves, or even change everything! I just thought this up in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kwekmh View Post
    Quite true... maybe I can try to help. Anyway, GUNDAM competitions can be found in G GUNDAM right?
    I think so. I'm not that familiar with the GUNDAM series made after the 1980s. My fanfic follows the *original* GUNDAM UC timeline from the 1970s and 1980s (the more serious GUNDAMs).

Here are 10 ideas to get you started.

Idea #1 - Attach the sword to a piece of string, and use internal energy to control the string and the sword movements. Attacking range goes as far as 100 feet.
    Source: XIAO THE 11TH

Idea #2 - Must be male to practice this one. Sacrifice your testicles to "lighten up" your weight, and be able to move much faster than usual.
    Source: SPW

Idea #3 - Use 4 swords at once by the Left/Right technique.
    Source: ROCH

Idea #4 - Use a really good weapon.
    Source: ROCH / HSDS

Idea #5 - You've reached the stage of overcoming the sword without a sword, but use a sword anyway to satisfy the criteria.
    Source: ROCH

Idea #6 - Your sword can suck away life, engulf the world in its darkness, and open the gateway to hell.
    Source: THIRD MASTER's SWORD

Idea #7 - Math + fast brain + a sword = Daizong Way
    Source: SPW

Idea #8 - Use the sword to remove your enemy's hair
    Source: DGSD

Idea #9 - Swordplay inspired by Tang era poems, Tao-te-ching, the 5 classics, the bible, or the KORAN.

And finally, no sword guide is complete without:
    Idea #10 - You're surrounded by 15 experts in the field of swordplay. You're half dead with no internal energy. You extend your sword out in a desperate attempt, which miraculously killed all of your enemies.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」