Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Thread: Classic 70s/80s U.S. sitcom: THREE'S COMPANY

  1. #41
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Anyone remember "greedy" Gretchen?
    I remember a reference to the character, but not what she looked like. She appeared in only one episode.

    A few guest actors such as Jeffrey Tambor appeared on the series two or three times over the years, often as different characters. Tambor, for example, was a rich guy trying to marry Cindy, a psychiatrist dating Terri, and a dentist dating Terri (he was also the Ropers' neighbor in THE ROPERS series).

    Jonathan Charney, who played Mr. Angelino in the final three seasons, was also Larry's boss at the used-car lot.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I remember a reference to the character, but not what she looked like. She appeared in only one episode.

    A few guest actors such as Jeffrey Tambor appeared on the series two or three times over the years, often as different characters. Tambor, for example, was a rich guy trying to marry Cindy, a psychiatrist dating Terri, and a dentist dating Terri (he was also the Ropers' neighbor in THE ROPERS series).

    Jonathan Charney, who played Mr. Angelino in the final three seasons, was also Larry's boss at the used-car lot.
    Ken, you have a good memory. You are correct in that she appeared in one episode only. In that episode, Jack was to have a date with Gretchen, and for some reasons he was held up. He and Larry were talking and when Jack mentioned "greedy Gretchen", he had a sly smile(you know the one Jack has when he is up to no good).
    I always wondered why he called her "greedy Gretchen".

  3. #43
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Ken, you have a good memory. You are correct in that she appeared in one episode only. In that episode, Jack was to have a date with Gretchen, and for some reasons he was held up. He and Larry were talking and when Jack mentioned "greedy Gretchen", he had a sly smile(you know the one Jack has when he is up to no good).
    I always wondered why he called her "greedy Gretchen".
    I don't know, but I have a feeling what she was "greedy" for.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Thor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I don't know, but I have a feeling what she was "greedy" for.
    We must be thinking about the same thing.
    btw, it is good that you start a thread like this. We need more of the same for the very many popular older TV series.

  5. #45
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    21,645

    Default

    Here are a few bits of little-known THREE'S COMPANY-related trivia for you guys:

    In 1997, about a year before his death, Norman Fell (Mr. Roper) appeared on Ellen Degeneres' sitcom ELLEN as a landlord named...you guessed it, "Mr. Roper." While it was never explicitly said that this character was the same as the THREE'S COMPANY Mr. Roper, he looked, sounded, and acted exactly like the original character, and it was heavily implied that it was indeed Mr. Roper some seventeen years after he left THREE'S COMPANY.

    I think Don Knotts also turned up as Mr. Furley in another sitcom during the 1990s; I want to say it was THE FRESH PRINCE OF BEL-AIR for some reason, but I'm not sure if that was the one.

    Suzanne Somers also turned up in a 1990s sitcom as Chrissy Snow, and the hilarious thing was that she had a twentysomething daughter living with two guys in an apartment just like Chrissy did with Jack and Janet twenty years earlier (I think the apartment was even decorated to resemble the old THREE'S COMPANY apartment).

    Finally, in some movie or TV series that John Ritter appeared in during the 1990s, Ritter's character had a nightmare wherein he woke up on the set of the old THREE'S COMPANY apartment. He is greeted by two familiar-looking young women (a substitute "Janet" and "Chrissy") who ask him, "Where have you been all this time?"

  6. #46
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I LOVE Three's Company! It's actually the reason why I subscribe to the retro TV channel, DejaView. I have a few seasons of the DVDs as well.

    This is a great thread - brings back alot of memories and if I do say so myself, reminds me that I remember too much about this classic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In 1997, about a year before his death, Norman Fell (Mr. Roper) appeared on Ellen Degeneres' sitcom ELLEN as a landlord named...you guessed it, "Mr. Roper." While it was never explicitly said that this character was the same as the THREE'S COMPANY Mr. Roper, he looked, sounded, and acted exactly like the original character, and it was heavily implied that it was indeed Mr. Roper some seventeen years after he left THREE'S COMPANY.
    I had no idea but now, I need to find this episode!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Suzanne Somers also turned up in a 1990s sitcom as Chrissy Snow, and the hilarious thing was that she had a twentysomething daughter living with two guys in an apartment just like Chrissy did with Jack and Janet twenty years earlier (I think the apartment was even decorated to resemble the old THREE'S COMPANY apartment).
    That sounds hilarious. Hmmm, wonder if it was the comedy series, "Step By Step", starring Suzanne Somers and Patrick Duffy (of "Dallas" fame)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Finally, in some movie or TV series that John Ritter appeared in during the 1990s, Ritter's character had a nightmare wherein he woke up on the set of the old THREE'S COMPANY apartment. He is greeted by two familiar-looking young women (a substitute "Janet" and "Chrissy") who ask him, "Where have you been all this time?"
    Haha! I remember this scene. I'm thinking "Problem Child" but no,...it might actually be "Stay Tuned", a late 80s / early 90s movie starring John Ritter and Pam Dawber ("Mork and Mindy"). Come to think of it, the plot was about a couple stuck in their TV and having to navigate between different channels or shows to find a way out. Funny enough, that actually resembles the plot of "Pleasantville" in a superficial way (which featured Don Knotts, BTW).

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 89
    Last Post: 11-23-12, 03:32 AM
  2. Another classic American 1970s/1980s sitcom: HAPPY DAYS
    By Ken Cheng in forum Global Series Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-08, 02:48 AM
  3. Does anyone know any Music from 70s and 80s
    By darkangel1992 in forum Music
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-07, 08:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •