+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 131

Thread: More Condor Trilogy skepticism

  1. #1
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,013

    Default More Condor Trilogy skepticism

    It's not that I don't have anything better to do, but... I just can't help but notice things like this.

    ROCH Chapter 37:

    郭芙见霍都死在台上,一张脸臃肿可怖,总不信这脸竟是假的,拔出
    长剑,跃上台去,说道:咱们瞧瞧这奸人的本来面目,究是如何。
    说着用剑尖去削他的鼻子。

    蓦地里霍都一声大喝,纵身高跃,双掌在半空中直劈下来。原来他给
    金杵一撞,身受致命重伤,却未立即毙命。他故意一动不动,只待达
    尔巴上前察看,便施展临死一击,与其同归于尽。岂知达尔巴凄然念
    咒,祝其往生极乐,随即下台而去。郭芙却上来削他面目。霍都乍见
    死尸复活,大惊之下,竟忘了挥剑抵御。她身上的软猬甲又已借给了
    丈夫,眼见性命要丧在霍都双掌之下。郭靖、黄蓉、耶律齐等同时跃
    起,均欲上台相救,其势却已不及。

    Guo Fu stepped up to the platform to check on dead Huodu. Suddenly Huodu leaped up and striked down at her. At this time, it was said that Guo Jing, Huang Rong, and Yelu Qi all tried to race to the platform to save her, but they didn't have enough time.

    Now, it is my opinion that if Guo Jing were capable of LDA, he would have thought of it rather than trying to physically race to the platform. The distance to the platform is unknown but I don't foresee it more than 30 feet.

    Discuss?
    Quote Originally Posted by CC
    So what if 1000 arrows are targetted at our wuxia hero? LHC's missile breaking stance can deflect thousands of projectiles in 1 stance and send them back to the enemy. The more arrows the better!

  2. #2
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,013

    Default

    The reason I raise this question is to compare what Guo Jing and Qiao Feng did under similar circumstances.

    Guo Jing did not use LDA. He wanted to rush forward instead.

    When Qiao Feng was quite far from Ah Zhu, a lot of people attacked her. He threw several long distance palm strikes to force them back, AND THEN rushed forward to save her.

    It seems logical to me that if Guo Jing could use LDA, he would have at least thought of it, if not actually use it, to save his daughter's life, in the same manner that Qiao Feng used LDA to save Ah Zhu's life.
    Quote Originally Posted by CC
    So what if 1000 arrows are targetted at our wuxia hero? LHC's missile breaking stance can deflect thousands of projectiles in 1 stance and send them back to the enemy. The more arrows the better!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    He also knows Tanzhi Shentong. Why didn't he use that?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Exodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    He also knows Tanzhi Shentong. Why didn't he use that?
    he couldn't react fast enough like YG did

  5. #5
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    He also knows Tanzhi Shentong. Why didn't he use that?
    Probably didn't have a pebble handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CC
    So what if 1000 arrows are targetted at our wuxia hero? LHC's missile breaking stance can deflect thousands of projectiles in 1 stance and send them back to the enemy. The more arrows the better!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Probably didn't have a pebble handy.
    They were outside. There were probably pebbles everywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    he couldn't react fast enough like YG did
    You're right. Yang Guo was able to do it and Guo Jing couldn't. I think this is conclusive proof that Yang Guo>Guo Jing.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 08-03-07 at 05:07 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,013

    Default

    They were outside. There were probably pebbles everywhere.
    He might not have the time to pick one up and then shoot it.

    On the other hand, Yang Guo and Huang Yaoshi must have had pebbles ready to shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by CC
    So what if 1000 arrows are targetted at our wuxia hero? LHC's missile breaking stance can deflect thousands of projectiles in 1 stance and send them back to the enemy. The more arrows the better!

  8. #8
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    He might not have the time to pick one up and then shoot it.

    On the other hand, Yang Guo and Huang Yaoshi must have had pebbles ready to shoot.
    That actually is definitely the case, since Yang Guo and Huang Yaoshi weren't on the ground; they were above in the air. Yang Guo in particular knew exactly what was going on, having arranged it, so he probably would've been more careful.
    Blademaster. Hero. General. He was the best there ever was.
    Butcher. Murderer. Traitor. All that he loved, he had destroyed.
    Matheius Randas.
    That Merciless Blade - Legend of the Arctic Wolf.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Exodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,289

    Default

    how come YG knew he was pretending to be dead and GJ don't

  10. #10
    Senior Member GuGu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    YunJae Heaven
    Posts
    5,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    how come YG knew he was pretending to be dead and GJ don't
    GJ is not really smart in that way. He doesn't think other people will use tricks or play dirty. I'm more surprised that HR didn't see it.

  11. #11
    Senior Member shenlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    You're right. Yang Guo was able to do it and Guo Jing couldn't. I think this is conclusive proof that Yang Guo>Guo Jing.
    Absolutely!

    I think YG and HYS were ready for it, they knew HD would attack and had stones ready on top of the poles so they could react extremely quickly and kill HD.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    What would take more time? Guo Jing running to the stage? Or picking up a pebble and using Tanzhi Shentong?

  13. #13
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    What would take more time? Guo Jing running to the stage? Or picking up a pebble and using Tanzhi Shentong?
    That's oversimplifying the situation.

    You should ask what would take more time: Guo Jing running to the stage, or look down to see if there are any pebbles on the ground; if so pick up the nearest one; place it at the correct position in his hand; then get a good look at the enemy's exact location; and try his best to aim the pebble at the enemy.

    Somehow running sounds more practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by CC
    So what if 1000 arrows are targetted at our wuxia hero? LHC's missile breaking stance can deflect thousands of projectiles in 1 stance and send them back to the enemy. The more arrows the better!

  14. #14
    Moderator Ren Wo Xing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,873

    Default

    To return to the original post rather than devolve into another YG vs GJ thread, that's a good point. Why not just launch a 30 foot LDA Kang Long You Hui instead, if he could? XF was able to do so against a fleeing qinggong specialist such as Yun Zonghe, again to save Ah Zhu at the Juxuan battle, and also a series of running LDA attacks (that famous triple wave strike) against Ding Chunqiu to save Ah Zi.
    Blademaster. Hero. General. He was the best there ever was.
    Butcher. Murderer. Traitor. All that he loved, he had destroyed.
    Matheius Randas.
    That Merciless Blade - Legend of the Arctic Wolf.

  15. #15
    Senior Member GuGu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    YunJae Heaven
    Posts
    5,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    To return to the original post rather than devolve into another YG vs GJ thread, that's a good point. Why not just launch a 30 foot LDA Kang Long You Hui instead, if he could? XF was able to do so against a fleeing qinggong specialist such as Yun Zonghe, again to save Ah Zhu at the Juxuan battle, and also a series of running LDA attacks (that famous triple wave strike) against Ding Chunqiu to save Ah Zi.
    GJ is slow in the brains.

    YG WINS!!! Oops... not a GJ vs YG thread.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    The reason I raise this question is to compare what Guo Jing and Qiao Feng did under similar circumstances.

    Guo Jing did not use LDA. He wanted to rush forward instead.

    When Qiao Feng was quite far from Ah Zhu, a lot of people attacked her. He threw several long distance palm strikes to force them back, AND THEN rushed forward to save her.

    It seems logical to me that if Guo Jing could use LDA, he would have at least thought of it, if not actually use it, to save his daughter's life, in the same manner that Qiao Feng used LDA to save Ah Zhu's life.
    Honestly, I think it deals with GJ's slow brains and the shock element. There is a difference between the 2 scenarios you mentioned. XF was in deep combat and someone decided to attack Ah Zhu. On the other hand, Huo Du SUDDENLY popped up and shocked everyone.
    It's like you're in a Haunted Mansion. A zombie walking toward you with ill intentions or a zombie suddenly popping out of the dark in front of face. There is to some degree of a preparedness in the 1st case while there is a moment of "shock" for the 2nd case. That shock period likely messed up GJ's mind (which made GJ use his 1st instinct, which was to run ahead). This is also an explanation for why GJ didn't "look" for a pebble to shoot because he didn't think of it with his first instinct. To me, this doesn't prove that GJ can't use an LDA.
    Last edited by Whsie; 08-03-07 at 09:31 PM.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出一阳指功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的一阳指功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

  17. #17
    Senior Member yittz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,946

    Default

    Also, in a previous event, YG killed Ni Mo Xing with a leaf. Surely GJ didn't require a pebble, just something as a medium to transfer internal energy. You telling me GJ, HR and co. don't carry any projectiles around? What does HR use to hold up her hair?

    From that event it was clear that carrying a pebble is the hip thing to do. Once again HYS showed why he is better than other greats - sure XL18Z, YYZ can neutralise his TZST, but do they have the additional benefit of attacking from that far? Also, Guo Fu is an idiot, but we all know that.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

    Member of TC fanclub.

  18. #18
    Registered User JamesG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Sheeesh! This so silly... Who's the hero in this book? Yang Guo....so who else would help save the 'charming' Guo Fu?

  19. #19
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whsie View Post
    Honestly, I think it deals with GJ's slow brains and the shock element. There is a difference between the 2 scenarios you mentioned. XF was in deep combat and someone decided to attack Ah Zhu. On the other hand, Huo Du SUDDENLY popped up and shocked everyone.
    It's like you're in a Haunted Mansion. A zombie walking toward you with ill intentions or a zombie suddenly popping out of the dark in front of face. There is to some degree of a preparedness in the 1st case while there is a moment of "shock" for the 2nd case. That shock period likely messed up GJ's mind (which made GJ use his 1st instinct, which was to run ahead). This is also an explanation for why GJ didn't "look" for a pebble to shoot because he didn't think of it with his first instinct. To me, this doesn't prove that GJ can't use an LDA.
    I really don't buy that. This was a perfect opportunity to use LDA if Guo Jing could in fact do it. I mean if he is capable of LDA, he should be used to doing it quite often. Even in surprising times he should not forget how to do it. I disagree that running would be the first instinct. If you can launch an attack without moving, that should be a lot more intuitive than having to run.

    If we replaced Guo Jing with Xiao Feng in this scenario, I am sure Xiao Feng would have blasted Huodu away with a long distance palm strike.
    Quote Originally Posted by CC
    So what if 1000 arrows are targetted at our wuxia hero? LHC's missile breaking stance can deflect thousands of projectiles in 1 stance and send them back to the enemy. The more arrows the better!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I really don't buy that. This was a perfect opportunity to use LDA if Guo Jing could in fact do it. I mean if he is capable of LDA, he should be used to doing it quite often. Even in surprising times he should not forget how to do it. I disagree that running would be the first instinct. If you can launch an attack without moving, that should be a lot more intuitive than having to run.

    If we replaced Guo Jing with Xiao Feng in this scenario, I am sure Xiao Feng would have blasted Huodu away with a long distance palm strike.
    I'm not so sure, it's more of a opinion based answer. Personally, I still believe that the shock element made GJ use his first instinct instead of making the wiser choice. After all, how many times in history have we seen people make stupid decisions off first instinct because of being shocked?

    I personally learn Karate for 11 years and I'm still not sure how I would react if someone caught me by surprise with a bear hug or front choke. I mean, I know the steps for the self defense by heart, but I'm still not sure how I would really respond if I was put in with a "shock" element(I'll obviously know what to do if I'm prepared and know someone is about to attack me). Do the steps of the self defense instantly arise or are you in a state of panic?
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出一阳指功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的一阳指功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Similar Threads

  1. who is the best fighter among the condor trilogy heroes?
    By patricia n in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-01-13, 04:05 AM
  2. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 12-06-12, 10:17 AM
  3. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08-15-10, 09:15 PM
  4. 2 condor trilogy-related questions
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-01-05, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts