Thread: Is the cast in a series THAT important or are other aspects more important???

Default Is the cast in a series THAT important or are other aspects more important???

I have noticed that a lot of people watch a series JUST for the cast regardless if the story and other aspects are good or not... I was wondering if the cast is that important to a majority of you?? I honestly admit that I did go for the cast ONCE and I vow to never do it again... I think the storyline and other things are more important than just the cast... I have tried to watch a series with a good cast but bad storyline and couldn't last... But I must admit that for certain series the cast is very crucial, but in general I think that the storyline and other things are more important.... Of course I also admit that having a good cast is a BIG plus too. However, I don't think that is the only thing you should go for...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

The cast is important, but a good director is even more important. It is up to the director to know the story and the characters and to get the actors to portray the characters suitably. Remember that the director approves an actor's portrayal, so blame the director most for the failures.

I do go for cast. However, I find a well structured storyline is one of the most important aspect to any tv series or it will dragged. Who wants to watched a 40episode draggy series and spend money on it; No one! A pointless storyline, will turned out very crappy; dramatize a normally 20mins scene, into a 4 episodes, sounds dumb to me. My point is, the more natural the acting skills, then in any storyline, the best acting qualities will come out of it; I understand it take more than 50 takes, for a 1-5mins scene, so some acting scenes will turned out really bad.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 08-04-07 at 12:50 PM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

for me it depend........sometimes i watch it for the cast.......sometimes i just watch it....
    if time can be turn back......there won't be tomorrow....

It surely doesn't seem that way for a number of the people that I see here(not aiming at anyone in particular), but I always see comments like "I will watch this because Liu Tao is in it", "I want to see this because LYF is in it",etc.... I see that so often before anyone sees a series... THen after they watch it, they start to complain about the bad storyline, script and other things.... But of course, what did they go for first?? the cast!!!
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Director is most important, then plot.

I watched Fairy of the Chalice completely for the cast. horrible, horrible drama...

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    THen after they watch it, they start to complain about the bad storyline, script and other things.... But of course, what did they go for first?? the cast!!!
    Well, as long as they're not complaining about the cast...

I go for cast sometimes. An actor or actress who I think is good can make me start watching a series, however if everything else is bad chances are that I'll stop watching... unless the acting from the cast is so stellar that it makes me want to watch anyway. Going for cast isn't worse than going for a director, storyline... any of those could be good or bad, you never really know. A series with a storyline or director I know and like can still be a bad series because of other factors.