Thread: Calling Gu Long experts-need help this....

Default Calling Gu Long experts-need help this....

There is a guy in Gu long's novel called Bai Yu Sheng, if I am not mistaken, whose job is to record the deeds of all the famous martial art experts of his time.

In his book, Cheh U Fung (Third Master) is rank second, if I am not mistaken, then comes Dagger Lee, followed by Ding Peng.

My questions:

1. Who is Bai Yu Sheng? Why did he record the deeds of the heores? When did he first appear--in which novel? Is it in Full Moon Curved Sabre?

2. Who is ranked the top martial art expert?

3. In Full Moon Curved Sabre, who wrote the words 'Siu Lau Yat Yeh Ting Chun Yu' --how does it translate?
    How is the sabre related to Cheh U Fung?

4. How closely does 'Against the Blade of Honor' (TVB adaptation of FMCS) follow the novel compared with 'God of Sabre' the earlier adaptation.
    maxwell

Unless there was a revised list, Ding Peng and 3rd Master are not on the list. The 3rd Master and Ding Peng stories are some time after the Dagger Li story.

And Bai never lived past the Dagger Li story (he took one in the throat).
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

thanks cc,

but who is he? so this bai character appeared in dagger lee...i read the translated version by meh, but can't recalled this bai character...

can anyone help on this ?
    maxwell

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    There is a guy in Gu long's novel called Bai Yu Sheng, if I am not mistaken, whose job is to record the deeds of all the famous martial art experts of his time.

In his book, Cheh U Fung (Third Master) is rank second, if I am not mistaken, then comes Dagger Lee, followed by Ding Peng.

My questions:

1. Who is Bai Yu Sheng? Why did he record the deeds of the heores? When did he first appear--in which novel? Is it in Full Moon Curved Sabre?

2. Who is ranked the top martial art expert?

3. In Full Moon Curved Sabre, who wrote the words 'Siu Lau Yat Yeh Ting Chun Yu' --how does it translate?
    How is the sabre related to Cheh U Fung?

4. How closely does 'Against the Blade of Honor' (TVB adaptation of FMCS) follow the novel compared with 'God of Sabre' the earlier adaptation.
    There seems to be a lot of mixed up information here. I think you are referring to Bai Xiaosheng? In the novel, Duoqing Qianke Wuqing Jian, the novel where Li Xunhuan is the main protagonist, he wrote a Book of Weapons which listed out the most fearful weapons in jianghu. Tianji Laoren Old Man Sun was ranked number 1. Shangguan Jinhong was ranked number 2. Xiao Li Fei Dao was ranked number 3. The Third Master Xie Xiaofeng, as well as Ding Pang were from a completely different time period.

The inscription on translates literally to "Small pavilion, one night, listen to Spring rain". I can't remember exactly the backstory, as Full Moon Curved Sabre was very muddled but I think there was a mention of this in another novel. "Small pavilion" was the male protagonist and "Spring rain" was a beautiful girl.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

3) Listening to the spring rainfall in the small pavilion. It was carved by Qingqing's grandfather. The old hierarch of the Demon Sect. He carved it as a memory to his favourite concubine. (Who was by the way unfaithful to him).
    Xie Xiaofeng had nothing to do with that little poem, however he did battle and defeated the old hierarch. Xie Xiaofeng had an affair with the daughter of that concubine (Tianmei). But he broke it off with her, after he realised that she manipulated him into joining the punitive expedition against the Demon Sect.

4) Against the blade of honour was quite inaccurate.
    Last edited by Athena; 08-20-07 at 08:23 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    3) Listening to the spring rainfall in the small pavilion. It was carved by Qingqing's grandfather. The old hierarch of the Demon Sect. He carved as a memory to his favourite concubine. (Who was by the way unfaithful to him).
    Xie Xiaofeng had nothing to do with that little poem, however he did battle and defeated the old hierarch. Xie Xiaofeng had an affair with the daughter of that concubine (Tianmei). But he broke it off with her, after he realised that she manipulated him into joining the punitive expedition against the Demon Sect.

4) Against the blade of honour was quite inaccurate.
    Ah yes, that refreshes my memory. Athena, was this in Full Moon Curved Sabre? I seem to vaguely recall that there was another Gu Long novel which closely resembled these events but was completely unrelated. Maybe I'm getting my novels mixed up.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Ah yes, that refreshes my memory. Athena, was this in Full Moon Curved Sabre? I seem to vaguely recall that there was another Gu Long novel which closely resembled these events but was completely unrelated. Maybe I'm getting my novels mixed up.
    Yes, it was. It was the part when the old hierarch was talking to elder Tongtuo. And later on Tongtuo had a talk with Qingqing's grandmother.

By the way: 百曉生 is just a title. It's probably not the real name of that man. It just means the scholar who knows everything.
    Ha! He didn't know that he would get a dagger in his throat! In your face, [百曉生]!
    Last edited by Athena; 08-20-07 at 08:22 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    Yes, it was. It was the part when the old hierarch was talking to elder Tongtuo. And later on Tongtuo had a talk with Qingqing's grandmother.

By the way: 百曉生 is just an title. It's probably not the real name of that man. It just means the scholar who knows everything.
    Ha! He didn't know that he would get a dagger in his throat! In your face, [百曉生]!
    I would think that trying to publicly rank the top #10 in wulin is one of the most STUPID smart alecky things to try. Unless you are suicidal. Or you are Sweeper Monk.

You will have at least #9 guys being unhappy with you. And when the 9 guys are amongst the top in wulin, you will never get any peace.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    thanks cc,

but who is he? so this bai character appeared in dagger lee...i read the translated version by meh, but can't recalled this bai character...

can anyone help on this ?
    Its in Meh's translation. He appeared briefly when Li went to Shaolin.

Briefly. Because he took one in the throat.

thanks everyone, especially athena for an enlightening explanation.
    maxwell