Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The X-Family

Just a trivia knowledge.

The X-Family's subtheme song 呜拉巴哈 is actually a cover of an Indonesian song called 'Dangdut is the Music of My Country'.

So cool that the Taiwanese musician look so far inspiration.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    The X-Family's subtheme song 呜拉巴哈 is actually a cover of an Indonesian song called 'Dangdut is the Music of My Country'.
    Kidd, seriously, where did you find all these info?

Dangdut is the Music of My Country
    Wu La Ba Ha (嗚啦巴哈)

The original song is very funny... and very different LMAO!
    I'm used to listening to the cover though, so I like Wu La Ba Ha better

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
    Kidd, seriously, where did you find all these info?

Dangdut is the Music of My Country
    Wu La Ba Ha (嗚啦巴哈)

The original song is very funny... and very different LMAO!
    I'm used to listening to the cover though, so I like Wu La Ba Ha better
    From the comments on the Wu La Ba Ha video.

I don't think it has anything to do with the series's character. Just the same name. But, still interesting. There really was a person name Lan Ling Wang in history (or legend).

http://en.hebeitour.com.cn/?action=zjym&id=236

I wonder if it's just a coincidence that the scriptwriter think of this name for Calvin's character or they really flip through history books to get a name. Calvin's characters in KO One and The X-family are both named after historical/legendary kings.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-19-08 at 04:09 AM.

Very interesting stuff, kidd. I know I can always count on you on interesting trivia info like this

I can definitely see the parallel between the real Lan Ling Wang and the series' character.
    "King Lanling was handsome and valiant. He often scored one victory after another on the battlefield." In the series, LLW is also handsome (ok, this is very subjective, but I thought he's quite charming ), courageous, and a highly trained soldier of the Ye He Na La family.

Some other indirect similarities are the melody and the inscriptions. In The X-Family, LLW was ordered to find two missing melodies (The Soul Collecting Melody and The Soul Cleansing Melody). The real King Lan Ling "left a precious legacy for later generations, which is Battlefield Melody." In the series, there's a valuable instruction manual inside the handle of LLW's weapon Lan Ling Zhan. In the south pavilion of King Lan Ling's tomb, there are precious inscriptions on the stone tablet.

Since Calvin's character in KO One is named after a historical figure, King Arthur, I wouldn't be surprised if his Lan Ling Wang is also named after the real legend.

P.S. I just realized that we've infested this thread and KO One thread with our posts
    Last edited by Jilly; 03-19-08 at 02:49 PM.

Watching episode 10. Gugu and Guo-er are hilarious.

Such a coincidence. Eric Li (Guo-er) and Calvin Chen has the same birthday and Eric Li has often been mistaken as Calvin Chen by people.

Jilly, why you don't like Xia Mei? She's funny. I like her more than Han leh.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-20-08 at 11:42 PM.

Watching episode 10. Gugu and Guo-er are hilarious.
    Don't you think this GuGu resembles Liu Yi Fei's GuGu in certain angles?

Jilly, why you don't like Xia Mei? She's funny. I like her more than Han leh.
    *May Contain Spoiler *

Initially, I like her too... until she became so freakin' clingy to Lan Ling Wang. I mean how can she go goo-goo for Xiu for the first twenty episodes only to have a change of heart right when she saw LLW? And it's not just regular liking someone, this girl is practically drooling over him. There's this one scene where she keeps following LLW, even when he has to use the restroom. Good thing Xia Yu and Xia Tian stopped her. This particular scene is pretty funny actually coz she really lost all her senses. You know what they say... love is blind haha. But when I look at LLW's annoyed face, I feel bad for him. No wonder sometimes he feels like she's a pest I also don't like her slurring her words when she speaks. But I like how she affectionately calls Xiong Ge "Lao Mu Da Ling." So cute

Now Han is boring, but at least she's rational hehe...

yupe, Xiao Mei is kind of okay but after she got 'hooked' with LLW, she became annoying.

there's one when she wanted to leave and 'asked' money to Xiao Yu. When he gave it to her his card i thought, whaaaa so nice but turned out the amount limit was only little lol

But, I still hope Lan Ling Wang and Xia Mei can hook up.

Anyway, more barely on topic info.

Chimei (the creature Gui Long will turn into if he keeps on gaining power):

Note: I only quoted the passages related to chimei. For info one the other 2 supernatural beings, check out the source.

Traditional Chinese society constructed a "spiritual" or "supernatural" world made up of "Heavenly Gods," "Spirits of the Earth," and "Human Ghosts." In addition to these beings were also the so-called mei魅, which are somewhat similar to the fairies or monsters in Western civilization. This philological study of terms associated with mei reveals that the notion of mei can be traced to pre-Qin 秦 China (pre-221 BC). Three basic terms referring to these beings emerged during the Han Dynasty (202 BC-AD 220), namely chimei魑魅 (monster), guimei鬼魅 (ghostly monster) and jingmei精魅 (fairy), and it was during the Han Dynasty that the meanings of these terms reached maturity and became more firmly established.

Basically, mei refers to a type of non-human monstrous creature; Regarded as "goblins" or "demons" that brought about accidents, confusion, illness, disasters, and disruption, these "beings" were seen as rare, mysterious, and strange. Yet the three concepts of chimei, guimei, and jingmei clearly differ.

Chimei were originally thought to have existed in "foreign lands" or "remote places," and it was only later that they entered the mountains and rivers of "China" proper.

Chimei were "creatures" with particular forms, mostly those of animals or creatures that were half-human and half-beast.
    Source:http://www.ceps.com.tw/ec/ecjnlartic...atliid=1030920
    Last edited by kidd; 03-27-08 at 10:22 PM.

Cool article. Thanks again, kidd! I feel like we've become cult followers of this series and KO One

So does it mean that Xia Tian will turn into a half-human and half-beast creature if he becomes chi mei? He has to work his evil way up from jing mei to gui mei before turning into chi mei, right? Sorry for my poor memory... I've been watching so many TV series lately that everything becomes a jumbled mess

P.S. I like your new signature! Maybe I should start looking for one of Ya Se's quotes too, haha.

So does it mean that Xia Tian will turn into a half-human and half-beast creature if he becomes chi mei? He has to work his evil way up from jing mei to gui mei before turning into chi mei, right? Sorry for my poor memory... I've been watching so many TV series lately that everything becomes a jumbled mess
    I don't think the series follows the myth fully. I think it just borrows a some element. So, I think Gui Long will go straight to chimei level. The other characters never mention jingmei or guimei.

Gui Long will have horns after he becomes chimei.

Haha, maybe he will become half-dragon half-man.

i'm rewatching this series now

Quote Originally Posted by tanteun View Post
    i'm rewatching this series now
    Haha, so we can have discussions again?
    Are you serious though? If you are, I may want to rewatch this series too hehe...
    Last edited by Jilly; 03-31-08 at 11:14 PM.

Haha, so we can have discussions again?
    Are you serious though? If you are, I may want to rewatch this series too hehe...
    of course i'm serious need 'rest' from KO One but i still in eps when Vincent is around

tanteun mentioning Lei Ke Si/Xia Yu with they notebook reminds me of this.

It's funny how Xiu Yu, being a Ma Gua in the family, actually knows more about the magical world than his siblings and their friends. Whenever they have problem, they will go to Xia Yu for direction/help and Xia Yu will of quote info from some magical books he has read and suggest some solution. This guy really is an encyclopedia.

Btw, I've read the character profile of Xia Yu in a website and it says Xia Yu is a great cook but he charges money for every dish he cook. Is that true?
    So far, I've only see him cook once and that was after Xia Tian return from Mie. So far, he didn't ask anyone for money.

It's funny how Xiu Yu, being a Ma Gua in the family, actually knows more about the magical world than his siblings and their friends. Whenever they have problem, they will go to Xia Yu for direction/help and Xia Yu will of quote info from some magical books he has read and suggest some solution. This guy really is an encyclopedia.
    I think that's because he wants to be like one of them, but he can't because he is a ma gua. That's why he learns everything about the magical world, and when the opportunity finally came, he didn't let it go.

Btw, I've read the character profile of Xia Yu in a website and it says Xia Yu is a great cook but he charges money for every dish he cook. Is that true?
    So far, I've only see him cook once and that was after Xia Tian return from Mie. So far, he didn't ask anyone for money.
    Ooo yeah he did, alright. That penny pincher

lol he even often scolded his siblings especially Xia Mei about how they didn't know a little or basic things about Yi Neng worlds

About his cooking, they didn't show much but they indicated that Xia Yu who's the one who cooked for them a lots , as you knows everytime Xia Xong was cooking they run lol and asked Xia Yu to cook.

He didn't asked directly everytime he cooked tho but he's in charge for the money so he just cut it off from the budget !

Quote Originally Posted by tanteun View Post
    of course i'm serious need 'rest' from KO One but i still in eps when Vincent is around
    Vincent and his mole lol.

I'm randomly rewatching this series now. Got to episode 13 where Da Dong quoted Shakespeare's lines, but he's missing some words. Xiao Yu then also quoted Shakespeare, but it's only 6 words "善良就是黄金." Da Dong was waiting for him to continue when he realized that was the end of the quote, and he's like: Huh?? 講 完了? (That's it?) Lmao! It must have taken him a long time to memorize his long quote, and then he realized there's a shorter quote that he coulda memorized and showed it off in front of Ya Se and Xiao Yu, haha. I also like how Ya Se keeps correcting Da Dong. If Xia Yu is an encyclopedia, Ya Se is a quote wikipedia haha.

Btw, I can see why you guys like Da Dong more than Xia Tian. Da Dong has a firmer and stronger character, and he's more comical, too. I also start liking him more now. Argh, can't make up my mind... keep jumping back and forth between Da Dong and Gui Long hehe... I also need to reassess my opinion on Ya Se. He has a stronger character and a keener mind than Lan Lin Wang.
    Last edited by Jilly; 04-01-08 at 05:39 PM.

Yeap, that's why I like Da Dong better. He's a take charge person, with great fighting spirit. It's when u watch The X-Family and see Xiu going between 2 dimension and meeting Da Dong and Xia Tian back to back, u will start to appreciate Da Dong more. When u see Xia Tian being wishy-washy, helpless and lack self confidence, and then see the furious Da Dong in Gold Dimension, u will remember back how much stronger and proactive Da Dong is in KO One. And yeah, Da dong is a lot more comical.

I think, eventhough Gui Long and Da Dong won't be friends, Gui Long will respect Da Dong more than Xia Tian. He's always belittling Xia Tian for being passive.

I like how Ya Se being arrogant and narcissistic can accept his lost of power so well. He's quite proud of being KO3 in KO One. But, he doesn't seem to be rush in getting his power back. In fact, he and Xiao Yu are enjoying their life without their powers. I think it's because Xiao Yu and Ya Se has other interest to occupy their mind, so, they are not as affected by their lost of power. Da Dong's interest is in fighting. Fighting is also his greatest ability. Xiao Yu and Ya Se, on the other hand, have their music and philosophy respectively.
    Last edited by kidd; 04-02-08 at 08:46 PM.