Thread: Using Hong Lung 18 Palms and Dog Beating Stick in conjunction

Default Using Hong Lung 18 Palms and Dog Beating Stick in conjunction

The two top skills of the Beggar's Union Chief are the Hong Lung 18 Palms and the Dog Beating Stick Technique. Both skills are elite wulin skills, and the practitioners of such skills have often been top-level martial arts adepts (i.e. Kiu Fung, North Beggar Hung 7 Gung, Gwok Jing, Wong Yung).

Is there any way, however, for a person who knows both of these skills to use them *together*? Hong Lung 18 Palms is predominantly a two-handed martial art, leaving no free hand to use the Dog Beating Stick Technique at the same time. Thus, even if a person trained in the Hong Lung 18 Palms and the Dog Beating Stick Technique learned the Left/Right Hand Technique of Chow Bak Tung, that person still would not be able to use the two skills together.

The only time and way that the skills can be used simultaneously is if two separate people learn them, as Gwok Jing and Wong Yung did, then use the skills together against a common enemy. Short of that, however, is there a way a single person can use both skills at the same time?

I'm sure GJ can do it if he knew dog beating stick too. Even though you said that XL18Z is a predominantly two handed martial arts, GJ has combined it with something else before. I don't see why DBS would make any difference.

yep, GJ's done two different XL18 Palms together before

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

there are some moves in HL18Z that uses both hands but not all, HQG might have used both DBS and HL18Z at the same time. at the 2nd huashan tournament, HQG already had a stick in his hand when HR gave him the dog beating stick as well, HQG used two moves from each hand to fight OYF. it seems he can use the dog beating stick from two hands, then he should be able to use HL18Z and DBS together.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

I would have thought that it would be rather impractical to use Dog-Beating Stick with only one hand. Doesn't a staff require the use of two hands to fight effectively for leverage and so on? I can't imagine there being much speed or power if only one hand was used. At least Dragon Subduing Palms could rely on brute force from a single palm..

I can see GJ using both if he learned both techniques. It's seems to be a great Yin/Yang balance and has the potential to increase the power of both techniques exponentially.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I would have thought that it would be rather impractical to use Dog-Beating Stick with only one hand. Doesn't a staff require the use of two hands to fight effectively for leverage and so on? I can't imagine there being much speed or power if only one hand was used. At least Dragon Subduing Palms could rely on brute force from a single palm..
    It's funny, because I've always believed in the exact opposite: I've always thought that users of the Dog Beating Stick Technique wielded the stick in one hand, while Hong Lung 18 Palms required the use of both arms.

You are thinking of those big 6-7 foot long quarterstaffs or Japanese Bo staffs?

The DBS is a thin flexible _stick_. Not a big staff. Imagine swinging a light ratten cane. You don't need 2 hands. In fact, its much fast with just 1 hand.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

think of it as twirling a baton, except a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    You are thinking of those big 6-7 foot long quarterstaffs or Japanese Bo staffs?

The DBS is a thin flexible _stick_. Not a big staff. Imagine swinging a light ratten cane. You don't need 2 hands. In fact, its much fast with just 1 hand.
    True.. I must have been too influenced by that huge piece of jade sugar cane which Barbara Yung used to such effect in the 80s (and I believe Stephen Chow modeled it for his Beggar So role as well). Athena's and Zhou Xun's were much smaller, and could easily be wielded with one hand like a crop.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 08-31-07 at 08:16 AM.

True.. I must have been too influenced by that huge piece of jade sugar cane which Barbara Yung used to such effect in the 80s (and I believe Stephen Chow modeled it for his Beggar So role as well). Athena's and Zhou Xun's were much smaller, and could easily be wielded with one hand like a crop.

Even Barbara's cheap green plastic sugarcane was rather small by quarterstaff standards. It looked usable with 1 hand too.

Anyway, JY did describe the DBS as looking fragile and flexible so his intention for it could not be for a big a$$ staff. Thats probably why he never let Xiao Feng use it for fighting.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Yang Guo laughed, “You’re afraid of my “Empty Hands Entering A Hundred Blades” kung fu; fine, I’ll use a weapon.” He scoured the room and all he saw were bare walls, there wasn’t one single weapon that he could use. However, in the courtyard there were two large willow trees; it had many branches and had emerald green leaves hanging down from it. He looked at Xiao Longnu and said, “Since you want to have Liu as a surname, I’ll use a willow branch as a weapon!” He leapt into the courtyard and broke off an inch thick branch; it was about four feet long. The length and thickness was similar to the Beggar Clan’s Dog Beating Stick. The branch still had its leaves which gave the weapon elegance.

As to whether it was wielded with one or two hands, I personally think it may have been possible to do both, depending on the individual stance.

I'd say it is possible, since there is a technique to take back the stick in the DBS repitoire. Which implies that they had expected the stick to be in the hands of the enemy at some point of a fight.
    Burying his Dugu 9 Jian manual under an epitaph, Dugu Qiubai felt he has left his legacy for the next generation. He then moved to Shaolin to study Buddhism, sweep floors and tap elite fighters.