[SIZE=2]Hi Guys, I have just finished re-watching all 3 parts of My Date With a Vampire (MDWAV) and once again it has stirred up a particular feeling that I have for this series which has never ever appeared for any other series and thus I have decided to write out this article. Unlike other articles that can be found on the net I have dedicated to this article to MDWAV 3, rather much more like a comparison with the earlier parts. However please note that I am not criticizing MDWAV 3 but much more like how it could have been better.
Before I begin credits to Chan 13 for writing out not only one but 3 extremely good scripts, he IMO is definitely one of the best script-writers that we have in the industry today, he may not be as famous as some of those from TVB, but he’s certainly one of the best we have seen.
Secondly how can we forget the famous pairing of Ma Sui Ling (MSL) starred by Joey Meng and Fong Tin Yau (FTY) starred by Eric Wan. These never will be forgotten characters is probably the reason why this series is so successful, portrayed by these two marvelous actors who has taunted our hearts until this day. even though they may not be as successful as some TVB actors but their achievement has definitely outclassed them
In addition to these two mentioned above, credit should also be given to one newbie and that is Kylie Kwok, for who is she that made MDWAV quite a success, a lot of people might disagree with me but I certainly felt that Kylie did an amazing job here, as a newbie her acting might have been stoned at times but at the end where she was about to disappear it was REALLY REALLY good, and of course to all the other members of the cast, Alice Chan, Mark Cheng, Teresa Mak, Ricky Chan, Kenneth Chan and William Chow.
Now Lets Start…...............
Reasons why MDWAV 3 will never be as good as MDWAV 1 or MDWAV 2
1) The most important reason is due the love line between Arrow Head - MSL - FTY. For two-thirds of the series it was AH instead of FTY. One of the best reasons why MDWAV 2 was such a success was because it was focused on MSL/FTY and an expected continuation would have been how their love blossom, but no FTY only “came back” in episode 26. OMG!!!!!
2) MSL was like the best vampire slayer ever on earth in MDWAV 2 because she was the first slayer and how come suddenly in MDWAV 3 she was only second best in comparison to Mo-Yau?? I mean whats the point of saying that MSL only got what she had today because MY gave her all her power? She is the best WHY change her?
3) There were too many new characters, a whole new ma family sprouting out, a whole new friendship line for MSL, a whole new line of enemy (Yan Wong/Yue Chi/ Fate) which took too much of the series to explain. There was too little focus on MSL/FTY which I personally was hoping for AND in addition to all that there had to be a daughter between MSL/FTY that took the remainder of the series. I was hoping that it was a series that could show that they were finally going to be together with each other
4) OK there were TOO MANY relationships!!!!! I was confused at one point !!!! Lets make a comparisonMDWAV 1 (5)A) MSL/FTY
B) FTY/ WCC
D) White Snake/ Hui Sean
E) Green Snake/ Cheng ChongMDWAV 2 (10)A) MSL/FTY
D) SBML/TBC/Mo Sing
E) Mo Sing/ SBML
F) Jeung Sun/ Ma Ding Dong
G) Jeung Sun/ Lui Wo
I) Mo Sing/ Tai Mi
J) FTY/ Sai MiMDWAV 3 (15)A) MSL/FTY
B) MSL/Arrow Head
C) Ma Dai Long/ Tong Kam Po
D) Yan Wong/ Yue Chi
E)Yue Chi/ Yuen An Bo Po
F) Yan Wong/ Lam Lam
G) Yan Wong/ Seung Or
H) Seung Or/ Ma Siu Fu
I) Kary/ Sky
J) Sky/ Tin-Ngai
K) Yuen An Bo Po/ Ngok Ngan Ping
L) Yau Kau/ June
M) Fate/ Yue Chi
N) Mars/ Mo Yau
O) Mr X/ Yuen An Mo Lui
5) OK, apart from having a lot of relationships the worst was the fact that
they were unnecessary. This is especially true for Kary/Sky, Mars/ Mo Yau, Ma Siu Fu/ Seung Or, Mr X/ YNML. OMG, they made the series so boring especially MSF/SO I practically fast-forwarded their parts! It was that boring. Then Mr X and YNML, I don’t even think that they were needed in the series. There was totally no point of having them, their parts were almost as annoying but at least there wasn’t any ultra man that pissed the hell out of me. LOL
6) Then there were a lot of relationships that were never exploited properly good example would be Sky and Tin Ngai. It would have been so much better if there has more screen time, I was really looking out for them even though their acting might not be as good as the others. Another pairing like I said would be MSL/FTY (see reason 1)
7) One of the reasons why I found this series a bit weird is the relationship between YW/YC, their relationship was ……… (wordless) it never really caught me, I just found their parts a bit annoying, at first they love each other, then they hated each other, then in the end it was all a plan, then they said that they always loved each other = not convincing at all. I prefer the sub-line of SBYF/WCC so much more!!!!!!!
8) OK, I CAN’T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!! the ultra man/princess scene were so hilarious and stupid, OMG they were annoying and deletable, frankly these are the only scenes that I have ever skipped in the history of watching MDWAV, the first time I watch it, it was OK, second time I was like, OMG!!! GET LOST, the scenes were pure RUBBISH!!! TOTALLY WASTE OF MY TIME!!!!!
9) Probably due to technology advancement the Ma Styles seems to have changed dramatically, first of all the grand dragon may be more handsome but how come the ways of inviting the grand dragon involves MSL dancing around? IMO the version in MDWAV 2 is way better (although you guys might disagree). Secondly her weapon looks like a sword from star wars, again the weapon in MDWAV 2 was more convincing.
10) Is it me or are the vampires in MDWAV 3 abit off?? Take for example, how come the grades of vampires change in MDWAV 3? Now apparently the lowest grade vampires can be killed!!! Dude vampires are not monsters/ ghosts they are suppose to be demons that aren’t easily killed. Secondly the black eye vampires look dam ugly, whilst vampires were suppose to be superior and powerful they just looked like ugly monsters. Thirdly MSL said that there were 5 grades of vampires I only saw 4 Red Eye, Blue Eye, White Eye, Black Eye. What happened to the other one?
11) Why is grand dragon a human? I though he was one of the ling-sau (special animals) that was caught by Ma Ling Yee to help the Ma Clan in their jobs? How come he is suddenly a human? The most hilarious part is why is the grand dragon iniviteable only once per day? I mean in MDWAV 2 the grand dragon came as she wished no matter how often.
12) I think they are trying to follow what was left off in MDWAV 2 but they definitely have done a really bad job of it. Because lets not forget that when Uncle Kau died there were already no stuff for MSL to use and yet when she came back there was a whole bunch of stuff for her to use.
13) One of the other reasons why MSL was so good in MDWAV 2 was because she only cried once and that was when they were about to scarifies themselves to save the world, in MDAWV 3 her tears were flowing so freely! She was no longer the once strong and tough MSL, she was just a women.
14) OK FTY needs a hair cut!!!!
15) Mo Yau can never replace Chan Chan, I dunno whether that was an attempt to do that but I feel that MSL was suppose to be a loner anyway and I sincerely believed that Mars/ Mo Yau/ all the other SDUs who died can totally be omitted from this series to make it less confusing, they was seriously too many people. Frankly I don’t even know all their names in the series.
16) One person that we seem to have forgotten is Fook Sang, again I believe he did not play a major part in this series, could have been omitted once again.
17) Another important point is the whole story line, I don’t know how to say but I sincelry believe it was not as good as MDWAV 1 or MDWAV 2 where it was a fight for love whilst here it was still for love but I think it was more focus on getting rid of Fate
18) In MDWAV 1 FTY did not want to bite MSL because he like her, in MDWAV 2 FTY wanted to bit MSL because he loved her, now in MDWAV 3 MSL said that FTY would rather kill her then let her turn into a vampire. OK this is so totally weird, jumping from one theory to another. Why can’t they stick to one?
19) The pre-ending character interviews were OMG…. Crazy….. Unnecessary.. It spoilt the whole tempo of the ending, a lot of people that watch this was like “what is this?”
20) THE ENDING!!!! Its was said that there were 3 different endings, the one that I watch was where MSL and FTY were hugging at the ground and MSL saying that as long as she believed that she would live then she would live, why is it so opened!!!!!!! I really wanted a happy ending for them but yup since when did MDWAV have a good ending? LOL
Reasons why MDWAV 3 was a good continuation of MDWAV
1) It was good to see a return of both FTY/MSL but of course that was after 26 episodes
2) Nice Clothing especially MSL, she looked evil when she was required, elegant when needed, pretty when normal. Especially when she turned evil her fighting was so cool!!!!
3) Yes, she did cry a lot more but at the same time she smiled a lot more as well, in MDWAV 1 I only remember her smiling once when she and FTY were in the disco singing. IN MDWAV 2 she was always on the verge of crying, but in MDWAV 3 there was a lot of laughter from her which IMO made her look really pretty and nice
4) It showed the motherly side of MSL, which again I believe it was nice J
5) Nice Songs.
What I hope to see in MDWAV 4 (if there is ever one)
1) Fong Tin Ngai and Sky making a come back, really hope that their relationship could be developed more
2) MSL/FTY finally having a good time and no more saving the world crap
That’s about it, I think MDWAV 3 was good but it could have been better, but nevertheless another good series that has caught my heart. Hope to see another continuation if possible. Feel free to comment guys, but remember these are my opinion so please try not to attack them. Thanks