Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Airplane food =]

Default Airplane food =]

So, does anyone else love this stuff?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm1.static.flickr.com/164/346077723_cc6b93ff21_o.jpg')

Having recently come off a rather long plane ride where I had one serving too much of airplane food, I wanted to bring up this subject. I'm not a picky eater and I understand that it's nice that they're giving us food at all, but the food on airplanes can be really crappy, at least from my perspective. This might be partly because airplane meals tend to be too small for me and I have a large appetite. But even the stuff they DO serve is not my cup of tea - when it's not tasteless, it usually has some odd flavour. This time, for example, I was quite displeased with a piece of bread with raisins they gave out as a midnight snack - the raisins made me feel rather uncomfortable in the stomach. I also had a very bad tasting omelette for breakfast; even with my cooking skills (or lack thereof), my scrambled eggs taste better. And their fruit is sooo NOT fresh!

Now, I can't say I hate airplane food - "Sparky," "hate," and "food" don't go in the same sentence. It's just not...very good. I mean, I pay $1000+ for a lot of these flights, so you'd think they could give us some better food to eat. Besides, while I don't suffer from sickness or even much jet lag, airplanes aren't the most comfortable place and people are prone to feeling sick. You'd think they could serve some better food when people are in such conditions.

When I got home, I looked up the issue online, and I wondered if I just picked bad airlines...like Continental (and it's always the same things - I could memorise their menu). I looked at pictures of airplane meals other people have had and they look way more appetizing than what I usually get.

So basically, after that speech, it sounds like a lot of people have been on planes on spcnet recently, especially those who live overseas from their native country and have gone back for the summer. Some basic questions I want to ask are:

1) For those who have eaten airplane meals, what is your general opinion on them? Do you think it varies much from airline to airline or is your opinion about airplane food universal?
    2) Can you name any airlines with exceptionally good food (I heard that Qantas is decent)?
    3) Which airlines have food that you should avoid at all costs (in case I happen to book a flight with any of these, I might want to bring my own)?
    4) Do you think airplane food deserves its bad reputation, or do you think other factors, such as the high altitude, influence the taste of it?
    5) If anyone has ever flown first class as well as economy, how does the food differ between the two (not that I will be flying first class anytime soon)?
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    1) For those who have eaten airplane meals, what is your general opinion on them? Do you think it varies much from airline to airline or is your opinion about airplane food universal?
    2) Can you name any airlines with exceptionally good food (I heard that Qantas is decent)?
    3) Which airlines have food that you should avoid at all costs (in case I happen to book a flight with any of these, I might want to bring my own)?
    4) Do you think airplane food deserves its bad reputation, or do you think other factors, such as the high altitude, influence the taste of it?
    5) If anyone has ever flown first class as well as economy, how does the food differ between the two (not that I will be flying first class anytime soon)?
    1) I used to like them, when I wasn't introduced to Western cuisine. Now I just think they are plain nasty. Luckily I get hungry on plane rides, but feel yucky afterwards. The desert is good, and esp if they serve fruit.

2) I liked singapore airlines, more asian type food. Qantas is ok, they give a memphis meltdown as a reward for persevering with the rest. Air NZ is ok, but they give small proportions.

3) Luftansa really disappointed me - so much fat, potatoes, they gave such heavy breakfasts.

4) Yes, but other factors influence the comfort of eating it. Dry air, cramped space, toilet accessibility.

5) First class is better , ok I lie, I've never flown first class, am a poor student.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

airplane food are a piece of shit. i've been on a looong plane ride not too long ago n my stomach was feeling all bloated and indigested..and because of it i had to go to the bathroom and do an "bulimic" act which i've never done so& i haven't thrown up since i was 8. yes, i do think it varies from airline to airline and i can say that DON'T GO on UNITED for international travels.

2) Can you name any airlines with exceptionally good food (I heard that Qantas is decent)? i heard Cathay is good? never tried.

3) Which airlines have food that you should avoid at all costs (in case I happen to book a flight with any of these, I might want to bring my own)? UNITED *****S

4) Do you think airplane food deserves its bad reputation, or do you think other factors, such as the high altitude, influence the taste of it? YES, it does deserve it's reputation and most of the air attendents are the biggest ****ing dickheads i've seen.

5) If anyone has ever flown first class as well as economy, how does the food differ between the two (not that I will be flying first class anytime soon)? i've flown first class once and the food is 3x's better; much more variety..can't say it's like a "mouth-watering delicious home-cooked" meal but better than the shit they give to economies. AND it's digestable.
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.

Someone can upload their airplane food pic but can't upload the other photos?

Anyways, I hate airplane food myself. Maybe it's just the American airlines that serve horrible food. Like you I've heard stories from friends of some nice food being served on other country's airlines. My parent's trip to Thailand recently for example, they took Thai airlines and they had very good food.

the food i like on an airplanes are noodles and burger....the rest are ok...not tat good...

It should be passable. I don't expect anything gourmet. I do think it varies from certain airlines since the one I traveled on when I went to asia had decent dishes ... and fed us 4 times a day.

no idea. The only one i kept in mine was american airlines

Nah. I mean, you have to feed a ton of people and you can't only carry so much on bored. They always have to make a menu where everyone can eat, not to mention, it has to be ready to eat. No place to cook yah? I am not fussy about it.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    1) In general i don't like them, but it does vary from airline to airline.

2) Japan and Singapore airlines have good food.

3) China airlines and China Eastern have terrible food

4) It varies between airlines. Either way though, it's not as comfortable when you're wedged between two strangers.

5) Now first class food, that's a completely different story! The food there is so much better, even on the bad airlines.

i lie.

Let's just say i haven't had the luxury yet.

I always get a kick out of the slab of processed chicken with the grill marks painted on. Who are they trying to fool?

And yes, first-class is a totally different world when it comes to food and drink.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    1) In general i don't like them, but it does vary from airline to airline.

2) Japan and Singapore airlines have good food.

3) China airlines and China Eastern have terrible food

4) It varies between airlines. Either way though, it's not as comfortable when you're wedged between two strangers.

5) Now first class food, that's a completely different story! The food there is so much better, even on the bad airlines.

i lie.

Let's just say i haven't had the luxury yet.

You are such a copy cat. Almost same response as me, but shortened. So original
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

A long time ago in a Galaxy far far away...airlines used to serve real food. Sigh!

the 1st time i was on a plane, i thought, wow this food is crappy, but after a few times i think them food are still as nasty as hell. OMG it's like tasteless crap, there's no taste in them, it's like eating rubber or eatting sugarless powder/rice, it's crap. I can't eat nothing when i'm on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    You are such a copy cat. Almost same response as me, but shortened. So original
    actually, i scrolled through the posts and looked at the username yittz and said, "well that one's not worth reading"

i actually have flown first class before. I just don't remember the experience since i was 5 at that time.

i think if they serve hot dog/hamberger like mc donald or wendies, it'll be better for most people, it keeps people full and everyone like fastfood haha.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    i think if they serve hot dog/hamberger like mc donald or wendies, it'll be better for most people, it keeps people full and everyone like fastfood haha.
    i wouldn't mind that on most airlines, but i swear the japanese airlines provide amazing food. I know that if you travel back to china via Japan, you end up staying a night in Japan (4-5 star hotel) with a free breakfast the next morning (choice of traditional japanese, european breakfast etc. and it's proper breakfast, not airplane food)

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

I personally don't find airplane food very amusing. When I was younger, I probably didn't mind much; most likely because I didn't even know what it tasted like.
    As I grew older, I stuck to child meals. After tasting my daddy's food on one particular plane ride, I thought; what crap is this? But at least child meals they gave you a bar of kitkat or something which was good when the other food tasted bad. Then finally when I was of age and HAD TO switch to adult meals, I reluctantly agreed. It wasn't so bad on some airlines as it was on others. Let's say Singapore Airlines had the best food I tasted. As 0-0-0 said, Japanese Airlines also had not bad food. There was one more airline, just can't remember what now...
    I always thought it depended on whether I was lucky or not to get served good food. (:
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

With the budget/service cutbacks at airlines in recent years, I feel fortunate if I get to eat at all on an airline flight these days.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    the 1st time i was on a plane, i thought, wow this food is crappy, but after a few times i think them food are still as nasty as hell. OMG it's like tasteless crap, there's no taste in them, it's like eating rubber or eatting sugarless powder/rice, it's crap. I can't eat nothing when i'm on a plane.
    what? are u sure?
    the food is packed with so much sodium..how can it be tasteless?
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.

- It does depend on which airline you fly, and of course, whether you fly Business, First Class or Economy. Business Class food is definitely a couple of steps up from Economy (not to mention the service). I'm okay with airplane meals, they're generally quite nice - the alcohol they provide is more important

- SQ, JAL, ANA. Cathay Pacific is pretty good too.

- MAS. I refuse to fly this airline again, and this is more as a result of their lousy service rather than the food (not that great in the first place anyway). I'm probably not flying Gulf Air again, the food was on the dry side.

- I think it depends on how picky you are. You can't expect great food in Economy, and the only way you're gonna get better stuff is if you upgrade to Business or First Class. Airlines are paying more attention to in-flight meals these days, however, so I'd say they're better than say... 10 years ago.

- Does Business Class count? If so, as per my first reply, it's definitely better than Economy. Food ties in with the quality of service. If you get better, more attentive service, then you'll enjoy your in-flight meal more.
    Last edited by junny; 09-01-07 at 04:55 PM.
    玉木宏

blog

You know what's worse than airline food, though? TRAIN food. That stuff is positively unpalatable.

The American domestic airlines have sucky food. The Asian airlines like Cathay, Singapore, JAL have better food.

While even the best economy class food is not fantastic, its reasonable enough for me. Business class food is much better quality. And you get real plates instead of that small tray.

I mean, I had ARMY FOOD for 2.5 years while serving. Compared to that, economy class food was like gourmet heaven.

Oh and Sparky, if its too little, just ask for more. I do that a lot of times. They might not have the full tray for you but most times, they have the spare main course.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!