Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight-sonata View Post
    Not all Victorian literature is dull, though... If you read Oscar Wilde, for instance, I guarantee you won't say it's dull... Has anyone read The Picture of Dorian Grey?
    yeah, i quite like Oscar Wilde's writing style- i prefer it over Thomas Hardy.

Austen would be Regency late 18th century to early 19th century, while the Bronte sisters came a few decades later, which is why their literature is... well at least on the romantic side, a lot more passionate compared to e.g. Emma, where the proposal is basically, "what did she say? well, just what she ought." Dickens was around the time of the industrial revolution. Well, i find some of Dickens' novels very boring.

tropical country Singapore :D banana country

OMG haha was attracted this thread because of the title. Just a few days ago my teacher was telling us about the book and that we should read it. just borrowed it today. (:
    lollipops&raindrops (:

'love me for me' ;D
    'you make me smile'
    'i love you, you idiot' o.0
    FEEL THE LOVE <3

Quote Originally Posted by dragonite3579 View Post
    OMG haha was attracted this thread because of the title. Just a few days ago my teacher was telling us about the book and that we should read it. just borrowed it today. (:
    I'll be surprised if you get through it, and more surprised if you pick up the "maiden no more" on the first time through. I had to flip back

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight-sonata View Post
    Not all Victorian literature is dull, though... If you read Oscar Wilde, for instance, I guarantee you won't say it's dull... Has anyone read The Picture of Dorian Grey?
    My absolute favourite book....

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0 View Post
    yeah, i quite like Oscar Wilde's writing style- i prefer it over Thomas Hardy.

Austen would be Regency late 18th century to early 19th century, while the Bronte sisters came a few decades later, which is why their literature is... well at least on the romantic side, a lot more passionate compared to e.g. Emma, where the proposal is basically, "what did she say? well, just what she ought." Dickens was around the time of the industrial revolution. Well, i find some of Dickens' novels very boring.
    Yeah I agree... the Bronte sisters were into Romanticism, which you can see very easily in Wuthering Heights...

Interesting character analysis of the 3 major characters of the novel. I've only read Angel's one. This character analysis say a lot of good words for Angel, put him in quite a lenient and favourable light.

http://www.shmoop.com/tess-of-the-du...rbeyfield.html
    http://www.shmoop.com/tess-of-the-du...gel-clare.html
    http://www.shmoop.com/tess-of-the-du...rberville.html
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩