Thread: Wong Yerk See - no visits with his daughter and son-in-law in 25-30 years?

Default Wong Yerk See - no visits with his daughter and son-in-law in 25-30 years?

During ROCH, we don't see East Heretic Wong Yerk See together with his daughter Wong Yung and son-in-law Gwok Jing until the very end of the story, by which around twenty years had gone by since the beginning. Additionally, Wong Yerk See had left Peach Blossom Island (and his daughter and son-in-law) some years before ROCH even began...some time between the end of LOCH and the beginning of ROCH.

If he had not visited them at any time in the interim, that's a good twenty-five to thirty years that might have passed between the last time Wong Yerk See had been in Wong Yung and Gwok Jing's company and when he finally reunited with them at Seung Yeung City at the end of ROCH.

That's a long time to go without seeing one's family.

Even so, Wong Yerk See somehow knew that he had three grandchildren. He was probably still around on Peach Blossom Island for Gwok Fu's birth, but he certainly wasn't around for the births of Gwok Seung and Gwok Por Lo. He didn't seem to be surprised to have three grandchildren when he arrived at Seung Yeung, however (he even knew all their names). Because he had spent all those years traveling, nobody knew where he might be at any particular time, so it's not as if Wong Yung could have written to him to tell him.

Perhaps he met up with Ching Ying and Luk Mo Seung during the sixteen years that Yeung Gor waited for Little Dragon Girl and they told him? Or perhaps Yeung Gor himself told him when they met up shortly before they appeared together at Seung Yeung during Gwok Seung's sixteenth birthday?

He seemed to have a preference for checking up on his family without alerting them to his presence, so that's probably how he kept tabs on them. I've thought about that long period of separation also, and noticed that it seemed like the norm. YG also went 16 years without seeing HR/GJ and his sworn sisters, yet he knew the location of each. Very strange. I'd be very interested in knowing if YG ever saw any of the crew who were together with him and XLN on Mount Hua the last time, ever again after that.

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    He seemed to have a preference for checking up on his family without alerting them to his presence, so that's probably how he kept tabs on them. I've thought about that long period of separation also, and noticed that it seemed like the norm. YG also went 16 years without seeing HR/GJ and his sworn sisters, yet he knew the location of each.
    Gwok Jing and Wong Yung weren't hard to find; they were permanently settled at Seung Yeung, and would remain there for the rest of their lives.

Yeung Gor had last seen Ching Ying and Luk Mo Seung at Passionless Valley. Didn't he make annual pilgrimages back to the valley on the date of Little Dragon Girl's disappearance (in the vain hope that she might turn up early)? If so, he would have discovered that the two cousins were no longer living there. He later also learned that they had moved back to their hometown of Ga Hing in Gong Nam. Not surprising, really, and possibly he found out when he went to visit his father's grave there.

Very strange. I'd be very interested in knowing if YG ever saw any of the crew who were together with him and XLN on Mount Hua the last time, ever again after that.
    I could see isolated visits with some of them (after all, he had to have given that Heavy Iron Sword and the Gentleman and Lady Swords to Gwok Jing at some point, as well as receive the complete 9 Yum Jen Ging from Gwok Jing).

Perhaps HYS just preferred to stay away from his granddaughter Guo Fu.

Given the high-profile of Guo Jing and Huang Rong, the whole Jianghu probably knew that he had three children, and it wouldn't have been difficult for HYS to get regular news on his family. It was rather mean that he never bothered to even visit once to see what his new grandchildren looked like.

It also makes me wonder how Guo Xiang could have happily adopted her grandfather's nickname without having ever met him? It's like she really respected him - surely her mother's narratives alone couldn't have made her such a HYS fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Given the high-profile of Guo Jing and Huang Rong, the whole Jianghu probably knew that he had three children, and it wouldn't have been difficult for HYS to get regular news on his family. It was rather mean that he never bothered to even visit once to see what his new grandchildren looked like.

It also makes me wonder how Guo Xiang could have happily adopted her grandfather's nickname without having ever met him? It's like she really respected him - surely her mother's narratives alone couldn't have made her such a HYS fan?
    Chapter 37

Huang Yaoshi did not answer and waved to Guo Xiang, laughing, “Little
    girl, come over here and let Grandfather take a look at you.” Guo Xiang
    had never met him before so she quickly stepped forward to bow to him.
    Huang Yaoshi took her hand and closely examined her face, saying sadly,
    “What a great resemblance.” Huang Rong knew he was thinking of his late
    wife, so he was saying that Guo Xiang looked like her grandmother. She
    was afraid to stir his emotions so she did not say anything.

Guo Fu laughed, “Of course! You’re the Old Eastern Heretic and she’s the
    Little Eastern Heretic…”

Guo Jing scolded, “Fu’er, you have no respect for your grandfather!”
    Huang Yaoshi was however delighted and said, “Xiang’er, are you the
    ‘Little Eastern Heretic’?” Guo Xiang blushed and said, “At first it was
    only Sister who called me that, later on everyone called me that.”

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

he met them briefly after the fight with JLFW at the stone formation that occured after the elect a wulin chief hero's meet. HR told him about yang guo and XLN wanting to marry and he ran of to look for yang guo.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That's a long time to go without seeing one's family.
    well, he lived up to his nickname, didn't he? :P
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

I thought it was a little inconsistent with HYS's character for him to be so long away from his daughter and grandchildren. Several other characters in ROCH also seemed to do things that weren't consistent with what we know of them in LOCH. But, JY did say that ROCH had more depth to its characters so maybe those inconsistencies were characteristcs that had already existed but just weren't shown in LOCH.

he may have mellowed with age
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972 View Post
    he may have mellowed with age
    He definitely did. The East Heretic Wong Yerk See of the end of ROCH was a very different (and far milder) man than he had been mid-LOCH.

I've read here that he left Peach Blossom Island to get away from Guo Jing and Ke Zhen E, who'd driven him to a corner of the island before he decided enough was enough. Where in the novel does it say this?

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    I've read here that he left Peach Blossom Island to get away from Guo Jing and Ke Zhen E, who'd driven him to a corner of the island before he decided enough was enough. Where in the novel does it say this?
    I would soooooooo get away from Guo Jing too. He's soooooooo boring.

Back on topic, I agree with whoever posted that GJ and HR were very famous during those times. News of them having children would of had spread quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    I would soooooooo get away from Guo Jing too. He's soooooooo boring.
    Says the girl whose idea of a good time is lying down inside a stone sarcophagus waiting to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Says the girl whose idea of a good time is lying down inside a stone sarcophagus waiting to die.
    As long as my Guo'er is in that coffin with me, I'm happy.

in a place where the latitude and longitude intersect

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    from my knowledge he wanted to get away from guo fu. cuz she basically tore his peach blossom island up. killed and tortured the animals and watever else she did. it is mentioned in the novel wat guo fu did.
    The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.