Thread: Yeung Gor's final conclusions about his father, Yeung Hong?

Default Yeung Gor's final conclusions about his father, Yeung Hong?

Near the end of ROCH, Yeung Gor finally learned the truth about his father Yeung Hong's life of misdeeds from former Gong Nam 7 Freaks leader Ohr Jen Ngok. That night, the illusions of a lifetime about a heroic and wrongly killed father were shattered, as Yeung Gor faced the fact that Yeung Hong had been an evil man and had deserved his horrible fate.

Yeung Gor accepted this as fact, but how did his feelings toward his father change? Did he join the chorus of voices who condemned his father as a traitor and a murderer, or did he simply acknowledge the fact without joining the condemnation? A point of comparison, perhaps, is Yeung Gor's attitude towards his *other* (adopted) father, West Poison Au Yeung Fung. By the end of Au Yeung Fung's life, Yeung Gor had learned about and acknowledged Au Yeung Fung's many crimes, but at the same time, that did not change Yeung Gor's love and respect for the addled old man who had been so kind to him. Is the same true in Yeung Hong's case? Did Yeung Gor continue to esteem his biological father even after learning what a miscreant Yeung Hong had been?

The only piece of evidence/information pointing one way or another is that after he found out, he asked Ke Zhen'E to create a memorial tablet for his father, with lines on it that were something like, "To my father Lord Yang Kang, from unfilial son Yang Guo."

Ke Zhen'E, upon hearing this, was at first surprised, but then agreed and said that Yang Guo's 'unfilial nature' surpassed the 'filial nature' of most others; meaning, of course, that he was nothing like his father.

So take that as you will.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

He gave his father basic respect by not joining in the chorus. And I think the memorial tablet thing says alot too.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

i think he probably got some comfort from ke zhen'e's praises that his good deeds more than compensate for his father's (and, by extension, his foster father's) misdeeds. besides, he always had uncle guo as a role model.
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by mawguy View Post
    i think he probably got some comfort from ke zhen'e's praises that his good deeds more than compensate for his father's (and, by extension, his foster father's) misdeeds. besides, he always had uncle guo as a role model.
    Old Ohr Jen Ngok became a surprisingly forgiving guy in his old age, in contrast to his younger self in LOCH.

I think everybody mellowed out with age

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Old Ohr Jen Ngok became a surprisingly forgiving guy in his old age, in contrast to his younger self in LOCH.
    He was always pretty nice to YG until YG completely disrespected him by calling him a blind, old fart.