Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DO NOT buy COMCAST DSL service

Default DO NOT buy COMCAST DSL service

you guys !!

DO NOT buy COMCAST DSL service...they have a limit of how much internet you can use..They cut our dsl line yesterday..so we call in..and they were like "you use too much internet" what the hell...why do they think we bought the priciest package !!...so I ask them "so what's my limit" they were like..well we don't have a specific numbers but your record shows that you use 200gb of internet last month, and that's too much" ...what the hell....i dunno what 200gb of use means but i ask her why the hell she thinks we pay $50 per month [ackage rather than the $20 per month package...and then i have to explain to her that my brother works for a data record company that keeps records for real estate agents...and that he half of his works is from home.....and blah blah...and at the end the comcast reps..THREATEN me if we still use too much internet they gonna cut us....don't they know that they are not the ONLY dsl provider..? i can go with someone else.....we never have this problem when Road Runner was still roadrunner..before they intergrated into Comcast...
    **land of the free, and the home of the brave, USA ALL THE WAY**

lol....it happened to me too......i don't have comcast anymore....they cutted my internet b/c i used too much but they don't tell us the limit....freaking stupid....u r not the only person tat happened too....there are hundreds of this happen....did'nt know tat comcast also provide DSL....anyway, i love Roadrunner but too bad they change location with Comcast........i switched to at&t dsl extreme, i got $125 back for switching from Comcast to DSL...lol....in the end, COMCAST SUCK!!
    Last edited by SkyKing; 09-07-07 at 10:27 PM.

I never used Comcast DSL. I've been happy with my Verizon DSL.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I thought it was Comcast BROADBAND and that they said they're better than DSL. Anyways, if you just want high-speed internet, just sign up for AT&T. The lowest plan they got for DSL is $14.95 a month.

whoa! really? you should ditch them and go for a lower plan like verizon which i have like SS.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

200 gigabytes is roughly enough to download 200-300 movies, or send back and forth roughly a few HUNDRED THOUSAND large word document/data related files (or, for that matter, several million word documents).

Most users, save for those who do a lot of downloading of movies, use at absolute most 1 gigabyte or so a month. In short, you and your family are using several hundred times more bandwidth than the average user. Paying an extra 20 bucks isn't going to cover that. What do you expect? No company is going to pay for that, when you're costing them much more money than they are recovering. Not to mention, you're slowing down the internet a lot for everyone in your neighborhood as well.

Feel free to leave and try to find a company that can support 200 GB worth of downloading a month on 50 bucks. No matter what, you are going to have to cut back. No company, unless absolutely desperate to increase market share, is willing to LOSE money on customers as well as cause service for their other customers to decrease.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 09-07-07 at 11:02 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Feel free to leave and try to find a company that can support 200 GB worth of downloading a month on 50 bucks. No matter what, you are going to have to cut back. No company, unless absolutely desperate to increase market share, is willing to LOSE money on customers as well as cause service for their other customers to decrease.
    Bellsouth($42 per month @ 6mbps), Roadrunner, etc....the list goes on......
    Last edited by SkyKing; 09-07-07 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee View Post
    I thought it was Comcast BROADBAND and that they said they're better than DSL. Anyways, if you just want high-speed internet, just sign up for AT&T. The lowest plan they got for DSL is $14.95 a month.
    it really depend on how fast she wants her connection....i think the $14.95 is around 768 Kbps, about 14 times faster than dial up......while her comcast (if she's using the same one i used b4), then the speed is 100x faster than dial up..

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    Bellsouth($42 per month @ 6mbps), Roadrunner, etc....the list goes on......
    Most of them are adding caps as well. Comcast has just got the most flak for it. No company can possibly turn a profit on customers who eat up that much bandwidth.

It's just not economically feasible. Again, who wants a customer that pays the same amount as the rest, but takes up dozens of times more resources? Not to mention, slows down the quality of service for everyone around them?

Imagine you own a buffet restaraunt that has 100 customers a month. 99 of your customers are eating maybe 1 lb worth of food each time they come, but that 1 dude is eating 100-200 lbs; more than the other 99 customers combined. Not to mention, because that 1 guy eats so much, your other customers are getting slow service because he's hogging all the food.

What would YOU do?
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 09-07-07 at 11:49 PM.

Most of them are adding caps as well. Comcast has just got the most flak for it. No company can possibly turn a profit on customers who eat up that much bandwidth.

What would YOU do?
    in tat case, then don't use "unlimited" in ur ad....

u don't "hog" people bandwidth when u use DSL....

if Comcast has a limit, then they should at least tell us the limit....don't say "we don't have a specific numbers"

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    in tat case, then don't use "unlimited" in ur ad....

u don't "hog" people bandwidth when u use DSL....

if Comcast has a limit, then they should at least tell us the limit....don't say "we don't have a specific numbers"
    Buffets are 'all you can eat', right?

They shouldn't have to put out a special warning, although now, they're beginning to institute caps. Originally, they relied on people's self control and courtesy to others. Guess that doesn't work. I do agree that their unwillingness to tell the limit isn't nice, but realistically, what would that do? If they said the limit was 100, those people would just push 99 every single month. By keeping the limits fuzzy, it keeps people honest, in a way.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Buffets are 'all you can eat', right?
    Yeehh big mouth and big stomach can eat more. No one complaining heh. So is it your fault that you have bigger mouth and bigger stomach and can eat more while people who have smaller mouth, stomach and appetite are green with envy and jealousy and contempt

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Most users, save for those who do a lot of downloading of movies, use at absolute most 1 gigabyte or so a month.
    Hahaha, is that what you're doing with your DSL, that is only reading email and browsing. You should revert back to those 14.4 KBs dial-up

Unless someone is a full-on ideallisitic crap or idiot-savant like forest gump or working or have affiliate with the RIAA than everybody is downloading something from the net. I mean what can you do, you're stumble on with a cave full of pirates treasure, are you going to tell me that you're not going to take it because those treasure is taken illegally - hahaha yeh-yeh-yeh should apply for TIME front-page MAN OF THE YEAR - THE MOST IDEALLISTIC MAN ON EARTH!

i didnt know there was a limit for broadband in the US. Usually, Asia's broadband has limits. I've been downloading like crazy(over 200 gigs per month) with my Verizon Online DSL ($29.99) package. Never had any problem with my broadband limits. My average download speed (400k/s) not sure how fast that is. To me, I think it's enough. Barely enough time to watch anything these days. Download for my friends & family.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    Hahaha, is that what you're doing with your DSL, that is only reading email and browsing. You should revert back to those 14.4 KBs dial-up

Unless someone is a full-on ideallisitic crap or idiot-savant like forest gump or working or have affiliate with the RIAA than everybody is downloading something from the net. I mean what can you do, you're stumble on with a cave full of pirates treasure, are you going to tell me that you're not going to take it because those treasure is taken illegally - hahaha yeh-yeh-yeh should apply for TIME front-page MAN OF THE YEAR - THE MOST IDEALLISTIC MAN ON EARTH!
    Sorry, but you're wrong. The majority of people don't download nearly that much. 1 gig is enough for surfing, email, browsing, watching videos online, chatting, and even downloading some songs. As I have been on plans that calculate the amount of bandwidth you use, I should know. 6% of Comcast users take up 78% of the resources, while 94% use the rest of the 22%. That 94% is what is considered to be 'normal'. That is the majority; you and the 100-200-300 gigabyte monthly downloaders are not the majority.

Maybe it makes you feel better to imagine that everyone is as self-serving as you?

Even when you download some movies every few days, at most you won't go beyond 20 gigs (which is the highest I've gone, since I do download on occasion). Everyone is downloading something from the net, yes. Not everyone is abusing their bandwidth by downloading several hundred gigabytes per month.

You excuse your own inethical actions by claiming 'everyone does it', and that those who do not are idiots like Forrest Gump, or stupidly idealistic. In short, you cover up your own inadequacies and immorality by claiming it is universal, and insulting others who do not possess your faults.

There is a saying in Chinese for this.

"以小人之心度君子之腹"

Your attitude is worthy of contempt, but moreso sad, by confusing basic morality (not to mention economics) with idealism.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 09-08-07 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123 View Post
    i didnt know there was a limit for broadband in the US. Usually, Asia's broadband has limits. I've been downloading like crazy(over 200 gigs per month) with my Verizon Online DSL ($29.99) package. Never had any problem with my broadband limits. My average download speed (400k/s) not sure how fast that is. To me, I think it's enough. Barely enough time to watch anything these days. Download for my friends & family.
    i think only Comcast got tat stupid limit...

lol, 200GB, i'm on a freaking 1.5mpb line (cheapo line) and i probably rack in 150GB every 10 days haha, a month probably go over 400GB easily, but no one cares, internet is monthly not bandwith cap, leave their ***.
    i can't wait for fiber optic....

BTW 1 anime eps = 250MB + all the other crap, this is why company are moving to higher bandwith resolution, the dam DSL + cable line is too slow for most people now.
    Last edited by warlock110; 09-08-07 at 06:24 PM.

wow..i didn't mean for this to be an arguement .....just a side note I have 5 computers in my house...and my relatives....for some strange reason...comes to our house and use our computers all the time.....every other day.....but i was just saying when i got the dsl they says "unlimited" ...so i should get unlimited...even more...when i call them and ask why they disconnected me..the reps could have been nicer..and explain things to me.. and not act like a b*tch... anyways...i can't wait for the 2 year contract is over ...so i can switch!!!
    Last edited by vietqueenvan; 09-08-07 at 09:44 PM.
    **land of the free, and the home of the brave, USA ALL THE WAY**

Yeah, Comcast reps definitely have gotten a very bad reputation for just not being very customer-friendly when discussing these situations.

If you really need that much bandwidth, if they disconnect you, your contract should be over. So you might not need to wait two years before you can switch, if THEY are the ones who terminate it ^^

Try checking your terms of agreement with them, and see if they have any termination fees/costs?

I never knew there was a limit to how much you can download from the internet. There's a few computers in my house. My friends and I download about 20-30 episodes of movies which is about an hour long each episode in a day. I wonder how much we're using a month. But I've never had problems with my internet provider before. But ours is expensive, we pay about 70 bucks a month and that's with basic cable.

Vietqueenvan, do you guys download movies all the time? Maybe your neighbors are stealing your internet?