Thread: Anamorphic to Letterbox

Default Anamorphic to Letterbox

Is there any way to convert an anamorphic widescreen video file to letterbox without using Quicktime Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee View Post
    Is there any way to convert an anamorphic widescreen video file to letterbox without using Quicktime Pro?
    Yes, I use either Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere. But again what type of video output are you trying to achieve?

If it's only for WMV file, you could do the same using Windows Media Player Encoder.
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

Quote Originally Posted by vindikattor View Post
    Yes, I use either Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere. But again what type of video output are you trying to achieve?

If it's only for WMV file, you could do the same using Windows Media Player Encoder.
    I'm trying to do it with AVI files. Hopefully I can use a freeware software for it. I tried VirtualDub but my knowledge with it isn't so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee View Post
    I'm trying to do it with AVI files. Hopefully I can use a freeware software for it. I tried VirtualDub but my knowledge with it isn't so hot.
    Use Virtualdubmod if you're looking for a freeware.

1. Load your video into Virtualdubmod
    2. Select Video then Filters
    3. Click on Add then select Resize filter, click OK to accept it.
    4. For the New Width enter 720, for the New Height enter 360 for NTSC or 432 for PAL.
    5. For Filter Mode, select Precise Bicubic then check the Interlaced box
    6. Check the Expand Frame and Letterbox Image, for Frame Width enter 720, for Frame Height enter 480 for NTSC or 576 for PAL. Click OK twice to exit.
    7. Select File then Save As, then select the compression to be Microsoft DV AVI and save the new video.

Note that the Microsoft DV is the default codec of your system, you could also select any installed Codec in your system to encode to AVI format.

I have Premiere and Sony Vegas codecs on my systems. But I again I simply don't use freeware or open source for my video encoding projects.
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

Quote Originally Posted by vindikattor View Post
    Use Virtualdubmod if you're looking for a freeware.

1. Load your video into Virtualdubmod
    2. Select Video then Filters
    3. Click on Add then select Resize filter, click OK to accept it.
    4. For the New Width enter 720, for the New Height enter 360 for NTSC or 432 for PAL.
    5. For Filter Mode, select Precise Bicubic then check the Interlaced box
    6. Check the Expand Frame and Letterbox Image, for Frame Width enter 720, for Frame Height enter 480 for NTSC or 576 for PAL. Click OK twice to exit.
    7. Select File then Save As, then select the compression to be Microsoft DV AVI and save the new video.

Note that the Microsoft DV is the default codec of your system, you could also select any installed Codec in your system to encode to AVI format.

I have Premiere and Sony Vegas codecs on my systems. But I again I simply don't use freeware or open source for my video encoding projects.
    Thank you so much! This makes things easier for me now!