Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stereotypes and Myths? Fact of Fiction?

Default Stereotypes and Myths? Fact of Fiction?

Hi all,

I wanted to posted up what kind of stereotypes and/or myths you have heard? Fact or Fiction? Could you back it up.

Caution: If any mentioning of your ethnicity, culture, nationality has offended you, I've apoligized, this is why I set this up to disprove it; more or less on educational purposes.

I'll start:

Is Causians considered the dominate race? Fact of Fiction?

What kind of African-Americans stereotypes?

Asians is considered the no.1 populated race, side by side with India. Why is it hard to find a life long relationship partner?
    Last edited by mind_wander; 09-17-07 at 04:15 PM.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Here's one:

In Wuxia, you can read how the chinese have high morals and act decent.

Its Myth!

I've seen how chinese girls comming to study in Oxford throw themselves at westerners.

T

R

O

L

L
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Is Causians considered the dominate race? Fact of Fiction?.....tat's FICTION!!!!!!

Asians is considered the no.1 populated race, side by side with India. Why is it hard to find a life long relationship partner?
    b/c there are more male than female.....

let me change this..i'm just a bit off the subject.
    Last edited by CanDEE; 09-17-07 at 11:08 PM.
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

I can't really answer this one, but I think Asian women finding Asian Men less attractive because its all the same[homogenous]; nothing special. I am not going on and on Asian guy bashing here because all answer varies; It does make me wonder. I'm also an Asian guy, if she accepts me for who I'm am, then thats cool. If there is some kind of hidden intent, well thats not going to fly in my book.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE View Post
    I noticed lately lots of very successful ASIAN Women are marrying to successful Caucasian Men.

In the last 3 months, I attended a few weddings;
    1: Dentist ( viet gal) married to Caucasian Lawyer
    2; Obtometrist (Chinese bestfriend) married to a Caus.Physician
    3. Pharmacist (girl/viet) married to Caus Dentist

Are a few examples...

Myths or Stereotypes???

Are successful Asian women finding Asian Men less attractive?? I dont' know what is going on.
    tat's b/c those girls are in professional career, while most of Asian guys go into a different careers path, not more medical stuff in the early 90's.....most of Asian guys are into other stuff....n if the girls make more money than the guys, then guys won't be happy.....my point of view...

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander View Post
    I can't really answer this one, but I think Asian women finding Asian Men less attractive because its all the same[homogenous]; nothing special. I am not going on and on Asian guy bashing here because all answer varies; It does make me wonder. I'm also an Asian guy, if she accepts me for who I'm am, then thats cool. If there is some kind of hidden intent, well thats not going to fly in my book.
    Personally, i find asian men are more attractive and I had my share of dating guys outside my race.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    tat's b/c those girls are in professional career, while most of Asian guys go into a different careers path, not more medical stuff in the early 90's.....most of Asian guys are into other stuff....n if the girls make more money than the guys, then guys won't be happy.....my point of view...

I did ask my friends the " why not asian" question and most answered, " dont' have the same interests".

Alot of my friends met their BF or hubby from school.

Having travelled a fair bit and experienced a wide variety of cultures, I would say that stereotypes are pretty much fictitious.

I have friends of many different races, nationalities, religions, and backgrounds. I just don't see the stereotypes I learned in my younger days. Here are some of the more popular ones I think I can post without drawing too much fire:

Chinese = smart
    Native American = drunk
    Black = inferior
    Women = helpless
    Jewish = cheap
    White men can't jump

Stereotypes probably manifest more in uni-cultural societies. Ignorance and lack of education contribute as well. I grew up in a small village where everyone was white european immigrants (peasant farmers from the old country), and racial stereotypes abounded. I now live in a multi-cultural city and my workplace is like a mini United Nations. I stopped judging people by their race, nationality, religion, gender, etc. a long time ago. Now it's all by how they act as an individual.

There is only one dominant race - it's called the human race.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by mind_wander View Post
    Asians is considered the no.1 populated race, side by side with India.
    umm, i think this is invalid, so it can never be fact. you are mixing country and continent into the same category, and the irony is india is part of asia!!
    Last edited by shortsight; 09-17-07 at 08:49 PM.

Personally, i find asian men are more attractive and I had my share of dating guys outside my race.
    yeah, i find asian men more attractive

but i can certainly see why Asian women prefer european men over asian men.

(these are stereotypes, but my experiences have found them to be pretty true)
    1) They are generally better looking
    2) They are generally nicer
    3) They don't think of themselves as more superior (a lot of guys i know from northern china are pretty sexist)
    4) In the case of a family, they are generally more willing to look after children than asian men

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    umm, i think this is invalid, so it can never be fact. you are mixing country and continent into the same category, and the irony is india is part of asia!!
    Sorry about that, I meant China. You check this out for yourself.

http://www.aneki.com/populated.html

0-0-0,

I see we all wants something different based on preferences because we all don't have nothing in common. Some Asian women likes Asian men and some just don't. What about mixing with other cultures. For example, Russian, African-American, Australian, Czech, British, Japanese, Korean, Italian, Irish, Jewish, Middle-East. Yeah, you got the point. Why some choose from these categories and some don't?

No one is superior in any race. What about mixing with different races, which does not combine well?

One day this gonna happen, as Mysterious X mentioned, as the general population is growing at a rapid rate, it will exceed the population over 7 billion in the future. Along the lines, there would be a huge mixed bag, so there would be no such thing as one race anymore.

For example, China/ Japan, Palestine and Isreallis, Caucasians / Non-Caucasians, German / Jews, etc.
    Last edited by mind_wander; 09-18-07 at 08:50 AM.

I did ask my friends the " why not asian" question and most answered, " dont' have the same interests".

Alot of my friends met their BF or hubby from school.
    Also to added to that, "The way of thinking is so different." This is kinda true. In the US, try to think on how the West does, not how the East does.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriouX View Post
    Here's one:

In Wuxia, you can read how the chinese have high morals and act decent.

Its Myth!

I've seen how chinese girls comming to study in Oxford throw themselves at westerners.
    I think there are fundamentally two reasons for that.

1) It's for the money.

2) Asia is still suffering from their colonial past; they themselves think that the West and its people are much more superior than Asians. Thus by dating or marrying Westerners, they feel that their social class are being upgraded a lot, and that helps in their pathetic self-worth.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    Is Causians considered the dominate race? Fact of Fiction?.....tat's FICTION!!!!!!

Asians is considered the no.1 populated race, side by side with India.
    According to 20th century anthropologist Carleton S. Coon, India is to be largely Caucasian.

Here is the genetic distance map study in 2002. So, perhaps Caucasian is the dominate race in this planet...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Neighbor-joining_Tree.svg/725px-Neighbor-joining_Tree.svg.png')
    Last edited by vindikattor; 09-27-07 at 03:04 PM.
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

i have nothing against asian chicks liking caucasian guys because it's a personal preference..but for the *****s that are ignorant enough to think THEY'RE too good for asian guys or asians in general seriously need to get ****ed up in the *** by some drug dealer. ^_^V
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.

stereotypes:

asians cant drive (fiction, sure traffics in china are dangerous, but blame the gov for bad traffic control)

" are good at math (somewhat fact, ok b4 u guys flame me, from my experience in school, 80% of the asians in my highschool/university/middle school that take math are always in the top half of the class, but there are always exception)

" are all chinese (fiction, no need to comment)

" are short (somewhat fact, i do see a trend that asian guys/gals are shorter than whites/blacks, but of course, there are always exceptions)

" all wear glasses (somewhat fact, i dunno, but a lot of asians do wear glasses)

" are addicted to gambling (fact, but that goes for every other race)

" have small p**** (fiction, we are same size as white, but black are longest)
    Last edited by LuNaR; 09-27-07 at 04:27 PM.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I like white-washed Asian men best...in general they are not as conservative and have fewer bad habits (because those points 0-0-0 brought up are often true IMO). However, because they are also Asian you still feel that "connection" - I think a little part of me would die if I married someone and we didn't eat rice every night, use the dishwasher as a drying rack, and beat our eggs with chopsticks

Quote Originally Posted by lunar
    " have small p**** (fiction, we are same size as white, but black are longest)
    Where do you get this info, my dear? Have you compared with a white and black?Don't tell me that you men compare this while in the locker rooms or whatever!

What's that lovely saying...Chinese men usually have short ones, German men usually have long ones, Bush has a short one...

(I'm talking about last names, you pervert! )

Last note, that thing about Asians all being good at math and science is SO a myth. I WISH it were true!!!
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Remember stereotypes are just a percieved pattern. Clearly it doesn't apply to all whatever. I would say more asians are good and maths and science than caucasians, more asians wear glasses than other races etc. All of LUnar's statements are incorrect literally, but correct in intention.

Oh btw Sparky, wikipedia has an article on genital sizes, might interest you.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.