Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York

Default New York

alright new yorkers (or those frequent flyers to new york city)! besides for the famous central park and various broadway productions, what would you recommend seeing or exploring during this time of year? or if you have the chance to see new york, new york, what would you do there?

i've been to nyc a long time ago...and i just want to know from you guys (instead of the travel guides) what you most like about the city (esp in retrospect after having been there).
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

well you gotta check out all the famous sights like Times Square, Empire State Building, 34th St, Rockafeller Center, 5th Avenue, Chinatown, ect.

Digital Life '07 is coming up soon at the Javits Center. its a MUST. really fun.
    umm. OH. Coney Island is in its LAST LAST year. theyre closing it down soon :[ its so easy to get to because its the last stop at the train and its a really good day by the beach. the first Nathans is there as well. HOT DOGS!

ummmm. and all the various New York eats are a must as well. such as Junior's cheesecake. and also check out the amazing shopping we have.
    i would also recommend to walk the Brooklyn Bridge, check out the seaport, Prospect Park, Botanical gardens, and our 20382329 museums such as the MoMA, Natural history, MET, Frick collection, Sex museum, Bodies Exibit, ect ect.

WELCOME TO THE BIG APPLE! and theres plenty more! feel free to ask
    Last edited by annaaa; 09-20-07 at 08:04 PM.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

Funny. My friend just called me up to see if I wanna go to NYC. I went there last year and saw most of the famous sights. What I need now is something tourists would not know about. For the New Yorkers on this forum, what do YOU do on a friday night?
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

wow! thanks for the advice annaaa. digital life seems very fun but i'm not sure if i'll be around when that happens.

btw, is the soup nazi around?

i can't remember what the pizza tastes like there, but one of my girlfriends love it (that's all she wanted to eat while she was in new york). which pizza parlor would you recommend?

thanks!
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    wow! thanks for the advice annaaa. digital life seems very fun but i'm not sure if i'll be around when that happens.
    btw, is the soup nazi around?
    i can't remember what the pizza tastes like there, but one of my girlfriends love it (that's all she wanted to eat while she was in new york). which pizza parlor would you recommend?
    thanks!
    the soup nazi? like the one they showed in Seinfeild? like this one? it should be. i havent visited myself but i'm sure it should still be there. the "Friends" cafe is still here as well.

and pizzas! actually theres a lot, so i dont really limit myself to one shop. it kinda depends whether youre a deep dish or a thin dish person. usually i just go to the local pizza place. most of the places here are made fresh right before you, esp outside the city in brooklyn or queens because most of the pizza parlors are family owned. or if you check out this place, its "suppose" to be really good. true nyc style there.

and oh! you can also register for a seating in the night shows like Jimmy Kimmel, or Dave Letterman i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post
    Funny. My friend just called me up to see if I wanna go to NYC. I went there last year and saw most of the famous sights. What I need now is something tourists would not know about. For the New Yorkers on this forum, what do YOU do on a friday night?
    Paintballing in Long Island City!, scoping out the various trends, bars, resturants, and clubs, karoke, free events in Central Park/ Bryant Park, movie screenings, musuems (like the Bodies Exibit @ South Sea Seaport), Madam Toussant Wax Museum, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Bway shows, pooling, CHINATOWN ICECREAM FACTORY!, etc. and museums, museums, museums!

okay, i admit i havent been to all of them, but i'm working on it. and these are random places that tourists usually dont go to beacue they dont have the time for it.

my personal favorite was the free Fireworks they had every Friday at Coney Island beach. well i live near there. (no stalkers..) and i can hear them from my house. theyre closing CI this year b/c theyre building a aparyment complex. i have pictures of the Wonder Wheel, the Cyclone, and the historical landmark bungee jumping thing. i could upload them later.

and oh, check out our baseball games. GO YANKEES!
    Last edited by annaaa; 09-20-07 at 09:31 PM.

i just checked out the digital life page...omg, i would love to go. alas, i won't be there during the weekend it opens in new york.

btw, the ferris wheel incident where a passenger was killed because a ride malfunctioned in new york ...did that happen on coney island?

and it's too bad the soup nazi takes the weekends off..cursed! i've been craving his soup since i first heard about it....oh well.

once again, thanks for all of your advice. i told my friends about them and seems like we have too many options now and not enough time. wish i can bring my dog to central park to walk him around there....that would be icing on the cake for me.

Digital life this weekend it was okay this year.
    crazy DDR fans and gamers out there.

and if anyone would be in the NY area next month, there will be a Korean festival at Flushing Meadows Park. Korean singers and actors come to it. in previous years, DBSK and FTTS came. this year, SG Wannabe is gonna come.
    http://queens.about.com/b/a/109659.htm
    free event! on Oct. 20th and 21st
    Last edited by annaaa; 10-01-07 at 09:13 PM.

Just wanted to add, since Junior's was mentioned, for cheesecakes, I'd recommend Eileen's Special Cheesecake

http://www.eileenscheesecake.com/

They are fluffy and just delicious.

And while you are eating, check out the Storefront for Art and Architecture exhibit just around the corner - they change the exhibits frequently.
    http://www.storefrontnews.org/gen_pa...?contentID=100
    -SC

i wana go to newyork!!!
    actually, it wouldn't be that hard but finding someone to go with me is
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatlady View Post
    i wana go to newyork!!!
    actually, it wouldn't be that hard but finding someone to go with me is
    Judging from your (ghostly) pic, that's a flat out lie
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Judging from your (ghostly) pic, that's a flat out lie
    lol, no. it's not that. it's just we're all so busy so it's hard to plan something and not leave another person behind

<3 them.

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet View Post
    Just wanted to add, since Junior's was mentioned, for cheesecakes, I'd recommend Eileen's Special Cheesecake

http://www.eileenscheesecake.com/

They are fluffy and just delicious.

And while you are eating, check out the Storefront for Art and Architecture exhibit just around the corner - they change the exhibits frequently.
    http://www.storefrontnews.org/gen_pa...?contentID=100
    coolll. ever hear of them, but i guess i'll check it one day.
    and oh, SPCNET, youre from nyc?

Atlantic Antic is on today! street fair! they close out the whole (nearly) Atlantic Ave, brooklyn just for today.

My boss asked if I was interested in a trip to New York for a 3-day work assignment. I said I'd go and that's when she told me it was Albany, NY. Anyone know how long it takes to drive from Albany to NYC? It looks like about 3 hrs on the map. I'm playing with the idea of going since I'll be fairly close, I think.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    My boss asked if I was interested in a trip to New York for a 3-day work assignment. I said I'd go and that's when she told me it was Albany, NY. Anyone know how long it takes to drive from Albany to NYC? It looks like about 3 hrs on the map. I'm playing with the idea of going since I'll be fairly close, I think.
    Yes it looks like 3 hrs but when you actually drive down it'll take about 5 hrs, with 4 being the least.

Quote Originally Posted by creamcheese007 View Post
    Yes it looks like 3 hrs but when you actually drive down it'll take about 5 hrs, with 4 being the least.
    Thanks chreamcheese. Guess I'll check out the airlines.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    its not thatbad. one interstate that goes straight down. i went to Albany this summer and it was approx a 4 hr drive or so.

Banned

I've been to NY before. It is just me or honestly I don't like it. It's very crowed and noisy not to mention it's complicated.

I'm not a big city person like i thought i would. NY is just a little too big for me, that's all.

wow. i JUST got back from new york with a bunch of friends.. must say, this would be my FIRST time going to the city with no parents, and actually walking around the damn place gotta say, i ****ing love it! i'm such a city girl<3 and i love how even by walking- ur constantly bumping others or being bumped at. haha. we only spent a day there though 'cause it was school trip but i will DEF. be back soon!!!
    love love love nyc <33333

<3 them.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatlady View Post
    wow. i JUST got back from new york with a bunch of friends.. must say, this would be my FIRST time going to the city with no parents, and actually walking around the damn place gotta say, i ****ing love it! i'm such a city girl<3 and i love how even by walking- ur constantly bumping others or being bumped at. haha. we only spent a day there though 'cause it was school trip but i will DEF. be back soon!!!
    love love love nyc <33333
    You must have gone to Time Square and the surrounding area.

The rest of NYC is not like that.
    This account is retired.