Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drunken Kung Fu

Default Drunken Kung Fu

Yes, it has only taken me some two weeks, but I finally have this series in my posession.
    Which mean - I get to watch GL!
    Plus, it is on VCD

...You have no idea how excited I am.

In any case, I was going down to my rental place when what should I spy but a poster for this very series. So I stop dead in my tracks and exclaim (fairly loudly) to my mother - "There! That's the one I want" while pointing at aforementioned poster.
    And when we are actually getting the series, my mom, conversationally mentions to the clerk that "The reason we are getting this series is because she (gestures to me) likes one of the actors in it." Clerk smiles knowingly.

And what's wrong with that, I ask?

hehehhehe..glad to see u ranting on ur gl love again, lol...

anyways.. is this the one where gl's character go from good in the day to bad at night and everything? the one i translated?

haha i had a similar encounter in the video store today, i walked in with my sister, who's not even 6, and i was randomly looking at tv series, when she screams " LOOK!!!! it's su you peng!!!" and i was like, where where where, and it turns out that they had qdaqh! i own the first 20 episodes, so i decided to rent the next 20, and then my sister was looking at other tv series, and discovered many more alec ones, but we had every single one of them, so after the clerk heard "look another su you peng one, but we have that" for about seven times....hehe she got the point that i'm an alec fan....plus i asked for ls.lol

So apparently no one else has seen this. That's fine. I'll just be in the corner talking to myself.

I would like to point out that this is the second series I have seen in which I cannot stand the protagonist. Seriously, Nick Cheung's character is the most annoying, useless, and ungrateful person in the world. And yet, all the (three) girls like him. Why? And everyone wants him to be the leader and teach elite martial arts to him. Again, why?

Also, Guo Liang's character right now is not so mcuh evil as generally shady and creepy. When he is not angsting, he is plotting and vice versa. Still, I can't understand why Sun Li (for the second series in a row) isn't going for him and instead looking favorably upon Nick Cheung. And for my opinions on that, well, just look above.

Having seen Book and Sword right before this, I find it amusing that the guy who played Sun Li's father (Manchu officer) in that one still plays her father. But now he is a member of the Tian Di Hui. Plus, Guo Liang (still a Manchu officer) is hitting on her left right and center.

Oh, and Sun Li is still too tall for the protagonist.

Originally posted by AnalyticChick
    So apparently no one else has seen this. That's fine. I'll just be in the corner talking to myself.

I would like to point out that this is the second series I have seen in which I cannot stand the protagonist. Seriously, Nick Cheung's character is the most annoying, useless, and ungrateful person in the world. And yet, all the (three) girls like him. Why? And everyone wants him to be the leader and teach elite martial arts to him. Again, why?

Having seen Book and Sword right before this, I find it amusing that the guy who played Sun Li's father (Manchu officer) in that one still plays her father. But now he is a member of the Tian Di Hui. Plus, Guo Liang (still a Manchu officer) is hitting on her left right and center.

Oh, and Sun Li is still too tall for the protagonist.

hey u still have me, at least i read the posts, lol

yeppp, sun li's height has always been a problem for her, she's too tall for the main male leads

well, nick cheung in here is probably just like cjl, the so called "prince" type, u know , wen wu shuang quan, that everyone falls for ...naturally, he would be that person in this series..so don't feel too bad....just like how pf and hqt loved cjl...it's the same thing

think about it this way...maybe u don't like the girls...so u don't have to see them hit on gl...u'll have him all to urself, lol

hii... i saw this... it was pretty ok... fighting was pretty good... that girl that nick likes but ends up with that other dude is pretty cute haha.... but this was only good cause of the drunking fighting parts
    ÌìÙn.
    ?ÛÇéÅc‰ôÏë..ÎÒ2»Ïë1ÜÁË...µ«ÊÇÎÒÖ»ÏëÒªÄã¿ì˜·...

Originally posted by Sasuke
    hii... i saw this... it was pretty ok... fighting was pretty good... that girl that nick likes but ends up with that other dude is pretty cute haha.... but this was only good cause of the drunking fighting parts
    Um, other dude? Which one?
    And I agree wholeheartedly that this series is "pretty ok". I guess I would like it more if I could actually stand Nick Cheung.
    And his wife is so much better looking than him.

I can't believe that I abandon this forum for about three weeks and this post is still at the top of the second page.

Come on guys, get with the posting already!

I just finished watching this series, Guo Liang was great! I must say him and Sun Li were way more interesting to watch than Nick and Anita. I wrote a summary of the series for those of you who are interested.

**SPOILERS**

CHARACTERS

Shao Yu (Nick Cheung) - son of Tian Di Hui's former leader Long Ng
    Hung Mei (Anita Yuen) - Nick Cheung's wife
    Lie Bing (Sun Li) - Chan Man Tat's father
    Wan Qi Tai (Guo Liang) - son of a Manchurian prince
    Lie San Yang (Chan Man Tat) - Sun Li's father and the drunken master

I'm not really good with summaries so please forgive me and I'm just going to concentrate on the overall story and the main characters for simplicity.

The story starts off 20 years ago when the 3 Tian Di Hui god-brothers Lie (Chan man dat), Long Ng (nick cheung's father), and Hong (another member) went to assasinate a Manchurian prince. Long however did not show up on the day and even decided to break his ties with Tian Di Hiu, leaving the assasination job to Lie and Hong. They succeeded in killing the Manchurian prince but were both injured, and their families were torn apart because they became criminals.

20 years later, we end up in Yang Zhou where Long Ng had become a rich man and built a restaurant. His explanation for not showing up 20 years ago to the assasination was because his wife died from childbirth on that day, and he was so devastated, he decided to withdraw from Tian Di Hui to ensure the safety of the family.

Shao Yu (Nick Cheung), son of Long Ng is a spoiled, care-free son who only likes to play and doesn't take anything seriously. As a result, his father who loves him dearly decided to find him a wife. Actually, 20 years ago, he had already been arranged to marry Hong Mei (Anita Yuen). Hong is a really poor girl who's father was also in Tian Di Hui. Hong is extremely good in kung fu and they call her "Red Peppers" because of her personality. She's not the loud-mouth type, but she's very authoritative and Long Ng really likes her as his daughter-in-law because he's hoping she will teach Shao Yu to become a responsible person.

So they get married, against Shao Yu's will of course who had already fallen in love with Sun Li. Sun Li and Chan Man Dat, both Tian Di hui members had disguised themselves as opera artists to Yang Zhou and Nick fell in love with Sun Li after watching one of her performances. Sun Li is a quite, soft-spoken girl who's seems very cold on the outside but is actually very compassionate. So anyways, Nick and Anita are forced to marry and in the beginning, they hate each other and they agree to only pretend to be spouse. Later on, they decide to be big brother (Anita) and little brother (Nick). Their love story doesn't really develop a lot until later and the whole time, Hong is instructed by his father-in-law to teach Shao Yu so she tries to teach him (of course that means a lot of scolding and arguing with Nick). Shao Yu doesn't appreciate her presence, and constantly tells her to leave. At the same time, he tries to woo Sun Li and becomes really good friends with this other girl (a general's daughter). Hong becomes sort of the unwanted wife but she's very persistant and responsible and believes that she's already part of the Long family so she must do her duty. Many many times, she helps Shao Yu when he gets into trouble but Shao Yu still doesn't really appreciate her. Although he keeps saying he doesn't want her around, you can tell as the story develops, she becomes more and more important in his life. Hung also secretly falls in love with him but she doesn't tell him until much later.

At the same time, a lot if going on with Tian Di Hui. Wan Qi Tai (Guo Liang) is actually the son of the Manchurian prince who was killed by Tian Di Hui. He seeks revenge for his father and so he pretends to be helping Tian Di Hui and actually becomes one of Tian Di Hui's members. Although Guo is constantly plotting and seems evil, he falls in love with Lie Bing (Sun Li), the daughter of one of his enemies.

Later, the three tian di hui brothers meet again (Long Ng, Lie San Yang, and Hong). Lie and Hong are not happy with Long because of his absence in the assasination 20 years ago leaving them as running criminals. Long is portrayed as a really good person in the series, and also very loving towards his son as your watching it, you know that Long has a hidden secret as to why he so suddenly withdrew from Tian Di Hui 20 years ago.

Lie and Hong misunderstand Long, and decide to plot against him. They elected Shao Yu as the new Tian Di hui leader but it was really weird because he was still at the time a bit of a loser with no kung fu and stuff so it was very unexpected. The reason for doing that was because they wanted to pressure Long into telling them what happened and they wanted to punish Long who they so believed was a rebel of Tian Di hui. So, Shao Yu, although he is happy go-lucky, he turns out to have an inner responsiblity and loyalty that becomes admired by both Hong and Lie Bing. He knows he's the leader of Tian Di Hui so he knew he couldn't help his father if his father really turned out to be a rebel. It turns out, 20 years ago, Long Ng who was the leader of Tian Di hui had recieved false reports that the Manchurian prince was evil. It ends up that this Manchurian prince (Qi Tai's father) was actually a good prince who wanted to help Tian Di Hui. So as a result, Tian Di Hui killed the wrong person. Long Ng was very guilty about this and shortly after, he received a mysterious letter with bribery money. It ends up, whoever sent this letter was intentionally trying to frame Long ng for being a rebel of Tian Di Hui.

Anyways, so everyone misunderstands Long Ng, even Shao Yu breaks his ties with his father. Long Ng decides to find who the mastermind is behind all this. It ends up, the mastermind is Qi Tai's uncle.

We then start learning more about Qi Tai's past. After his father was killed, his mother died shortly after. His evil uncle adopted him and took everything in their family. He even forced Qi Tai to call him father, and trained him to be his assasin. Qi Tai actually had a wife before whom he loved but this wife had an affair shortly after their marriage. Qi Tai was very devastated and killed her but he was very hurt from this. After this incident, he sort of went a bit crazy and he despises prostitutes. Although Qi
    Tai is sort of evil and was full of lies in order to enter Tian Di Hui, as you watch him, you also feel sympathetic for him. His love for Lie Bing is very true and so he struggles between love and hate.
    He swore that he would seek revenge, and he had to kill Lie San Yang, Hong, and Long ng. He knew Lie Bing's love for his father so he doesn't have the heart to kill Lie San Yang and Hong commites suicide. Long ng is the only one left and the most evil part of him in the whole series is when he kills Long ng.

The emperor decides to grant all Tian Di Hui members freedom and no punishment as long as they surrender. Everyone surrendered except Lie San Yang and Shao Yu. Lie San Yang became Shao Yu's master btw, and teaches him Drunken Fist.

Oh my goodness, the story's so long and I'm bad with summaries. Ok I'll hurry up. Lie San Yang has been the target of the evil uncle for 20 years because they want to kill him to get his drunken fist scroll. Hence, they decided to use Qi Tai as their weapon. They poisoned Lie Bing because they knew Qi Tai loved her dearly and in order to get the antidote, Qi Tai had to kill Lie San Yang and retrieve the scroll. Qi Tai knew Lie Bing loved her father and knew that if he killed him, Lie Bing will be devastated so he wasn't able to do it. Lie Bing was falling in love with Qi Tai because he had never given up on her and he took care of her.
    Qi Tai wanted to get the antidote from the evil uncle but he wasn't his match, and for Lie Bing, he betrayed the uncle.

The evil uncle wanted to destroy Qi Tai's relationship with Lie Bing so he revealed his real identity to her. She was very angry and was in shock when she found out everything evil he had done. But at the same time, Qi Tai really wanted to become a good person, and for her, he was willing to sacrifice everything so Lie Bing forgave him.

On Shao Yu's front, after he found out his father was murdered, he was furious and he though it was Qi Tai's master who did it. He doesn't know about Qi Tai yet. He seeks revenge but he's not his match and becomes terribly injured. He thinks his father's death is his fault, and he's ashamed of himself that he did not mend the relationship before his father died. After he recovered from his injuries, he gave up on himself - decided to feed pigs, be a bum and drink. Hong Mei was very upset and wanted him to stand up and face his problems but he was like no hope. Once, he did something really really stupid and Shao Yu went into a coma but Hong Mei never left his side. She decided to truly marry to him but he woke up during the wedding and didn't want to marry. Actually, in his heart, Hong Mei is very important but he doensn't think he can give her happiness. Hong Mei is so angry she leaves. After she leaves, Shao Yu feels the loss.

Shao Yu meets up with Lie San Yang and both of them try to find an antidote to cure Lie Bing. They went everywhere to look for the antidote doctor. Finally they find the doctor but at the same time, they find the letter that the evil uncle writes to Lie Bing, revealing Qi Tai's identity. When they find Qi Tai and Lie Bing together, they try to kill him but Lie Bing stops them.

Qi Tai was forced to leave, and the doctor was trying to heal Lie Bing by blood infusion but none of the blood was right. Lie san Yang and Shao yu hence decide to find the evil uncle to retrieve the antidote. All this stuff happens, and anyways, Lie San Yang gets killed by the evil uncle but somehow, everyone mistakens Qi Tai for killing him. At this point, Shao Yu hates Qi Tai's guts cause he killed his father, and he thought he killed Lie San Yang as well.

Lie Bing is in a dilemma because she doesn't know if she can trust Qi Tai but Qi Tai's sincerity wins and she stays by his side. However, later, she finds out a few more bad things that he has done in the past and she cannot bear it any longer and splits up with him. Qi Tai is devastated because he really loves Lie Bing, and he truly wants to change but he admits he did many bad deeds.

He then goes to his father's coffin - gets intercepted by his evil uncle who wants to kill Qi Tai because Qi Tai revealed all of the uncle's evil deeds to the emperor. Shao Yu, Lie Bing, and Hong Mei come in time to save Qi Tai (Oh yeah, Hong Mei and Shao Yu reunite and Shao Yu expresses his love for her and she's really happy). Shao Yu beats the evil uncle but doesn't kill him. At this point, Shao Yu still really hates Qi Tai but Qi Tai promised him, once his uncle is punished, he will have a match with him.

Lie Bing pleads Qi Tai to leave with her but Qi Tai doesn't want to run away, and needs to face what he's done wrong. So Qi Tai and Shao Yu fight. Shao Yu's kung fu is better than Qi Tai so Qi Tai was no match. Shao Yu beats Qi Tai but decides not to kill him. Although Qi Tai killed Shao Yu's father, Shao Yu's father also plotted to kill Qi Tai's father so Shao Yu didn't want this feud to continue so decides to let Qi Tai go.

So, the ending is happy every after. Shao Yu ands up with Hong Mei and Qi Tai ends up with Lie Bing!

Ah, finally done. what a long summary!

How many chapters is it?

I can't remember exactly but I think it was either 40 or 42 episodes.

Originally posted by MsPowerbomb
    How many chapters is it?
    A whole darn lot of episodes of Nick Cheung hamming it up and not nearly as many of Guo Liang angsting.

yah I know, I wish there were more Guo Liang scenes. But they concentrated on him more near the end. I don't like how the whole song only features Nick. I like Nick but honestly, he's nowhere as cute nor handsome as GL so it kinda sucked watching him like 70% of the time. However, must say his facial impressions were quite funny.

Originally posted by marshmallow
    yah I know, I wish there were more Guo Liang scenes. But they concentrated on him more near the end. I don't like how the whole song only features Nick. I like Nick but honestly, he's nowhere as cute nor handsome as GL so it kinda sucked watching him like 70% of the time. However, must say his facial impressions were quite funny.
    Seriously! His real life wife (who incidentally gets paired with GL a lot) is a lot prettier than he is handsome. However, I just thought Nick's "humor" was juvenile and annoying and not at all funny. His petulent expressions didn't do it for me.

Just in general, I didn't like the characters too much in this series. I mean, I even got tired of Guo Liang at times, and as people on this forum can attest, that takes a lot. I was okay with his character being borderline psycho and conflicted, as that is interesting, but his constant angsting really got to me. The things they made him say while looking away signifigantly made me gag. Yes, your wife cheated on you, but dude, get over it!

Also, I was always confused about exactly WHY she would ever cheat on him. But that could just be me.

haha, you're last point is hilarious because that was exactly what I was thinking! Yeah, I don't know why, but true, some of the parts were really lame, like the part where Sun Li finds out he burned himself in order to control his desire for her (under influence of some poison). That part I had to roll my eyes but I must say, I really liked his psycho obsession with Sun Li. I thought that was interesting, and it was quite touching to see Sun Li stick by his side even though he had done so many bad deeds.

Originally posted by marshmallow
    haha, you're last point is hilarious because that was exactly what I was thinking! Yeah, I don't know why, but true, some of the parts were really lame, like the part where Sun Li finds out he burned himself in order to control his desire for her (under influence of some poison). That part I had to roll my eyes but I must say, I really liked his psycho obsession with Sun Li. I thought that was interesting, and it was quite touching to see Sun Li stick by his side even though he had done so many bad deeds.
    As opposed to Book and Sword when she tries to kill him on their wedding day?

All in all, he's got the psycho obsession niche nicely covered. I remember in JXRY, although the obsession wasn't as psycho, it was still pretty bad. I mean, Dicky Cheung is pretty cute, but he's so short! By the law of on screen couples (in which the female's head must fit snugly under the male's chin for easy cuddling purposes), Esther should have ended up with him instead of Dicky Cheung. And then SET would have been happy, instead of getting set up for a sequel...

That happened in Book and Sword? Haven't watched it yet, do you recommend it? I heard it was boring, so I didn't bother renting it. Does GL have a big role in that series too?

So is this a new series? Has it release in Viet in the US yet? I really really want to see Sun Li. She was awesome in Book and Sword.

I personally don't like this series. I think it's quite boring. There is a lot of rambling dialogue.

Well yes... it is a bit boring... and rambling. But it's got fighting, which is pretty decent - and humor, which is entirely questionable - and costumes, which are recycled - and angsting, which is rather annoying - and most importantly, GL!

By the by, one of the random Chinese stations here is playing it. I was flipping channels one day, which I do a lot for entertainment, and was like - hey! I know this series. Happens more than you think actually.

Thhis series will start to be aired here next Wednesday but the title is DRUNKEN MASTER.
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!