Thread: Based on a Book movies - Read before or after watching

Question Based on a Book movies - Read before or after watching

How many of you actually read the book before watching the movie based on the book? And how many of you watch the movie, enjoys it and decides to read the book after because you're interested in what was in the book, but the movie left out? Or do you just watch the movie and never bother to read the book at all? Thinking that the movie is pretty much like the book anyway, why waste time reading it?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

i try to, but sometimes im just too lazy/ busy.
    also, sometimes, the book and the movie may be different in the plot and ending. i guess if i liked the movie, i might as well read the book afterwards.
    The best part of believe is the lie.

I prefer to read the book before watching the movie. Then I can compare how I imagined the characters from the book to how the director does them in the movie. If I see the movie first, I see the characters from the movie when I read the book and don't get to use my own imagination as much.

If there's a good movie I want to see that's based on a book I haven't read, I usually rush out and read the book before going to see the movie. Then I can critique the movie on how close it was to the book too.

I'm in that position with Wuxia right now. I'm new to it and have just started reading the translations. Hopefully I can find some DVDs when I'm done.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

i've always been with the mindset that the book is always better, usually because the style of writing can depict more emotions and atmosphere then directors can.

so if i had the choice and the chance, i would read the book first.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

For people who have read books that become movies later, do you feel that your movie watching experience is further enriched because you've read the book? Or do you find yourself comparing what's on the page and what's on the screen?

Have you seen any movie that was accurately portrayed in terms of faithfulness to the novel, like the movie represented and portrayed the novel as best as they could in the time limit (granted that they can't fit an entire book into 2 hours)?

If so, what are those movies?

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

ur asking a whole lot of questions that are hard to answer. depending on the different genra's really.

i'm a major fan of agatha christies novel, i find reading her books are very compelling because i can't predict the outcome (sumtimes i can), espeically in her Poirot cases, its very hard to connect the dots. since i read the book before the film, i found the film to be sum wat lacking in the mystery department.

on the other hand, Silence Of The Lamb was an extreamely creepy film with an exceptionally talented actor who protrayed the character so well he gave more life to the novel. Although you did already know the ending, but the screen repesentation, thanks largely to the crude editing style of the film, still manages to send chills down your spine with just tat hint of 'so close' feel.

films like Lord Of The Rings, that has already set the main players from the very start, are enriched due to the addition of the novels, you find urself more involved in the movie because you know (or remember) wat is going to happen next, and to see it onscreen is just amazing.

while Stardust that came out this vear, that is also a fantasy and is based on a novel paled by far in comparision to the novel, the 'wow' factor is no longer there since the director himself did not focus on tat at all. the 2 hour limit really affected this film, as it takes away from the building of the romance. while the book was exceptionally romantic for a fantasy story.

i'm not really sure wat i'm getting at, but there are just sum films that was great because the crew knew how to bring it to life. i blieve any book can be made into a great film, and not only measure up to the orginal novel but can also enhance the reading experience.

Thanks Linda for answering. Well, I have to ask hard questions, to make you think about it more closely and it's benefitual for all because we understand more about ourselves and how others perceive things. Right? If the questions were easy, it would not intrigue you to answer or leave any impact. In any case, it's good to exercise the mind.

I just recently bought the one edition version that includes all three of the Lord of the Rings trilogy in one book at a booksale at the public library and got it pretty cheap ($2 and new too). Hopefully I can read it some day and then rewatch the movies, hopefully I can learn to appreciate the movies more after reading these books.

i've answered ur question. so wat about your point of view? how do u feel about this issue?

wat types of books do u like to read?

i'm a major fan of reading so i tend to read almost any type of book i'm interested in at that particular moment.

i think i read the Mills & Boons books the most. i own over 5000 of them. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Have you seen any movie that was accurately portrayed in terms of faithfulness to the novel, like the movie represented and portrayed the novel as best as they could in the time limit (granted that they can't fit an entire book into 2 hours)?

If so, what are those movies?
    The last one that I saw that followed the book very closely was Chronicles of Narnia - The Witch and The Wardrobe. When I found out the movie was being made, I got the books and read all of them. But the books are very short so it was quite easy to fit everything into the movie. They're not really novels either - children's books, hope that doens't matter too much.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant