Page 35 of 317 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435363738394041424344 45 85 135 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 700 of 6336

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

  1. #681

    Thumbs up

    Awesome!. matur thengkyu jean..

  2. #682
    Senior Member ChronoReverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Haha, A Step Into the Past really reads like an Epic style story where the Hero can achieve suitably epic and unbelievables feats. It's something that's fun to read sometimes.

  3. #683
    Senior Member Bai Qi44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kingdom of Qin
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The fight kinda seems anti-climatic huh. And really, are the guys in the special tactical team really like superheroes without their rifles/ shotguns/ bulletproof vests etc? XSL is only 20, how much experience could he have had??? Sounds a little far-fetched, but then again, he's supposed to be the hero.
    You're right. Huang Yi didn't think this through. Military tactics training in the 20th century (or 21st now) would be more detrimental to a warrior of the past. We relied too much on weaponry and less on tactics, especially on the large battlefields. The Gulf war ended in hours because of weapons of mass destruction, and not military men going in to the danger zone. If it was military men going in, there would be a lot of casualties and it'll take at least months no matter how good your tactics are. In a real scenario, if time travel to the past were possible, Xiang Xialong would've been dead eons ago.

    Anyway, thank you for the translation and I blame you for making me come back here everyday. Had it not been for you and your translation, my 2 year hiatus from these boards would've continued.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

    http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

  4. #684
    Senior Member dewyloony123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    四海為家 (ok, not really; I'm not homeless)
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Thanks Jean!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Ehh... firstly, I don't even know if I have the stamina to finish this book I'm only at book 3 out of 25 books. It might take at least another year even if I do manage to complete it. (I think I took a little more than a yr to complete legendary siblings).

    Secondly, I'm not really interested in water margin.

    so u might have to find someone else.
    Water Margin has been translated before, most famously by Pearl Buck and by Sidney Shapiro. I read two--one of them might've been the Shapiro. In any case, knowing Pearl Buck, Shapiro is probably better.
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)


    I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

  5. #685
    Senior Member ChronoReverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    The American Army is so effective in traditional warfare precisely because of extreme training, weaponry AND tactics. Because it wasn't possible to muster up a numerically superior army, it had to be made up for in other ways.

    A modern soldier is extremely well trained although our hero is exaggerated of course.

  6. #686
    Senior Member overjoy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Thanks Jean.

  7. #687
    Senior Member tweety365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,478

    Default

    As with most of events happening so far in the story, I read for the entertainment purpose. To instill logic would make this story totally unrealistic. Jean, your translation of Legendary Siblings and now ASITP has kept me active in this forum. Well, the recent sex scandal of HK helped too, but that's really off topic. .

    Thank you for all your hard work. I look forward to your many cliffhangers

  8. #688
    Senior Member Bai Qi44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kingdom of Qin
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    As with most of events happening so far in the story, I read for the entertainment purpose. To instill logic would make this story totally unrealistic. Jean, your translation of Legendary Siblings and now ASITP has kept me active in this forum. Well, the recent sex scandal of HK helped too, but that's really off topic. .

    Thank you for all your hard work. I look forward to your many cliffhangers
    Is it? Both EC and XXL bagged a lot of ladies. They're all trophies to them.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

    http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

  9. #689
    Senior Member Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    Is it? Both EC and XXL bagged a lot of ladies. They're all trophies to them.
    who is XXL?

    Anyway, I thought u've read the book already, so the story won't be much of a suspense for u I guess.


    edit: I get who is XXL now... I was thinking if he's another celeb caught in a sex scandal

  10. #690
    Senior Member Bai Qi44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kingdom of Qin
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    who is XXL?

    Anyway, I thought u've read the book already, so the story won't be much of a suspense for u I guess.


    edit: I get who is XXL now... I was thinking if he's another celeb caught in a sex scandal
    Nope, never read the book. I'm reading as you're translating. If it wasn't for you, I would have a life right now. j/k
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

    http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

  11. #691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    Nope, never read the book. I'm reading as you're translating. If it wasn't for you, I would have a life right now. j/k
    Sure you do, otherwise you dead. but you're in qin kingdom right now, you would have a good life there! just use our 2000 years technology.
    Don't you forget to bring souvenir when you're homing

  12. #692
    Senior Member eliza bennet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Thank you so much Jean - XSL must be very happy now but a hero's work is never done so I'm looking forward to read more of his adventures.

  13. #693
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44 View Post
    You're right. Huang Yi didn't think this through. Military tactics training in the 20th century (or 21st now) would be more detrimental to a warrior of the past. We relied too much on weaponry and less on tactics, especially on the large battlefields. The Gulf war ended in hours because of weapons of mass destruction, and not military men going in to the danger zone. If it was military men going in, there would be a lot of casualties and it'll take at least months no matter how good your tactics are. In a real scenario, if time travel to the past were possible, Xiang Xialong would've been dead eons ago.

    Anyway, thank you for the translation and I blame you for making me come back here everyday. Had it not been for you and your translation, my 2 year hiatus from these boards would've continued.
    Cmon guys! Why spoil a perfectly good story with LOGIC????

  14. #694
    Senior Member rati4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    Cmon guys! Why spoil a perfectly good story with LOGIC????

    yes....stories are mostly imaginary n fantasy-filled....far from reality n logic...i always have this question in my mind...does inner energy exist?

  15. #695
    Senior Member ChronoReverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    Cmon guys! Why spoil a perfectly good story with LOGIC????
    The logic is incorrect though as the premise is false.

    (The premise is that a true modern soldier doesn't have superior tactics and training).

  16. #696
    Member greyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    100

    Default

    oh well we know why it is called the "Flying" rainbow now .. it flew twice already!!

  17. #697
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I realize that this is a wuxia novel and should be treated as such. Reading how Xiang Shaolong adapts to the feudal times through learning the language, shooting arrows, and riding steeds can be refreshing. Any readers interested in compiling his skills sheet?

    Anti-body training - military
    Flying needle skills - military
    Mozi swordplay - Yuan Zong
    XXX - porn movies and comics (LOL)
    Last edited by 9Dragons; 03-07-08 at 03:17 PM.

  18. #698
    Senior Member Bai Qi44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kingdom of Qin
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bharata View Post
    Sure you do, otherwise you dead. but you're in qin kingdom right now, you would have a good life there! just use our 2000 years technology.
    Don't you forget to bring souvenir when you're homing
    Dude, you know who I am? I'm General Bai Qi! I'm the most feared general throughout the Warring States. I don't care about women as much as I care about killing all enemy soldiers. I will not take any prisoners!

    Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    Cmon guys! Why spoil a perfectly good story with LOGIC????
    True, but in any universe, there will always be some sort of logic/validity. If you believe in infinite big bangs or infinite universes like I do, then XSL could very well be real in one of them and time traveled to the past (to another universe as he can't effect his own or else he won't exist) and so on and so on. So, as illogical as this may seem in our universe, this story can be quite real in another universe where his training would be much more superior to capable people of the past.



    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    The logic is incorrect though as the premise is false.

    (The premise is that a true modern soldier doesn't have superior tactics and training).
    Firstly, i have no interest in debating with you as I do not want this thread to turn into a "yes, it's true or no, it's not" because I don't want this thread to head in any direction, other than strictly being a translation thread for Jean.

    Having said that, I agree with the physical training as a warrior of the past would be nothing compared with modern knowledge and techniques of how to train the human body properly. Also, I was comparing leaders' tactics of the past and present and not a common soldier to a common soldier. If you compare Xiang Shalong's tactics training from the present, it would be much better than that of a common soldier from the past, but if you compare him to a capable leader of the past, his tactics wouldn't be of much use. I'm talking about the grander tactics here and not just killing a few men.

    I think of Xiang ShaoLong as a common soldier from the present while being a leader in the past. Even if he was a leader from the present and received military tactics training, it would be quite useless as they won't teach him how to drown a city or set up camp the right way for a whole army in case there is a need for a retreat. He's from the modern era where these things would not be needed. We're talking different eras here. He would be nothing compared to the likes of Han Xin, Liang Po, Bai Qi, Wang Jian, Li Mu, Cao Cao, etc..., but of course, Huang Yi is trying to make our hero into a capable tactician for the good of the story and I don't have a problem with that.

    Anyway, having said all that, I will let you know that I will not reply to you on this topic again no matter what you say because as I said before, this is not meant as a debating thread.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

    http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

  19. #699
    Senior Member ChronoReverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,858

    Default

    Lovely, you state your point and then cut it off right there. It's the kind of behaviour that really would incite return flames.

  20. #700

    Talking

    Yeah what's better than fight to spend this long long looooong day.
    and what's better than killing prisoner too make less cost / food to spend
    and what's better than found an ancient general living today..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 311
    Last Post: 09-09-14, 04:52 PM
  2. a step into the past question
    By King_Kong_1981 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-26-13, 03:27 PM
  3. A Step Into The Past 《尋秦記》
    By i|uaNZ in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 10-04-08, 03:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •