Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

This is awesome!

Thumbs up

yes!!

truly awesome

many thanks, jean / slyphiad

YEAHHH...Another great fight.

Go Shaolong.., go Shaolong.., go Shaolong..

Thanks Slyphiad and Jean.

aiyaaa! another cliffhanger. man, you sure know how to keep a guy addicted to this series

While everyone was stupefied, Teng Yi drew out his sword to about two feet from the sheath and actually accurately blocked the edge of Yanfu’s sword with his sword handle.
    Huh, I was almost half-right. Teng Yi defeated his opponent by half-drawing his sword lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Huh, I was almost half-right. Teng Yi defeated his opponent by half-drawing his sword lol.
    The impact of Ruroni Kenshin on modern chinese wuxia/fantasy is somewhat significant.

I'm not sure if HY is being influenced, but there is a taiwanese novel called 1/2 prince with the fantasy/wuxia theme where one of the character is specifically modelled on Ruroni Kenshin.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

To be fair, the art of striking with the draw existed far before Kenshin did

Default lost in translation.

hee hee hee

i fooked up. i thought u meant draw as in ... pen and paper drawing the shap of a sword that comes to life... lol... hahahaha not actual draw of a sword as u go into combat.

watching butter fly effect... time travel
    Ali Derhamy

Another update!! We're now up to page 7 of chpt 3. 3 more pages to go.

Enjoy!!

While everyone was stunned, the drummer responsible for this had already started drumming like a violent rain producing earth-shaking drumming sounds.

Li Yuan’s handsome face turned cold and ruthless as he held his sword and stood erect. With his tall and graceful stature, and suave appearance, he truly had an extraordinary posture.

Xiang Shaolong placed his sword in front of him, staying as still as a mountain, both eyes shining sharply like eagle, focusing on the opponent.
    The both of them stood facing each other, immediately revealing the air of an expert. Everyone was filled with tension, anticipating the coming storm, for that moment everything was silent.

After spending the past six months training intensely, Xiang Shaolong has changed from being blindingly brilliant to being calmly unwavering, even someone like Zhao Mu and the rest who had seen him fight several times in the past couldn’t link through his movement that he is the Xiang Shaolong of the past.

Ji Yanran is an expert swordsman, with just a glance she can see that Xiang Shaolong’s casual stand has the aura of an immovable mountain. She was inwardly surprised, could it be that the last time they fought, he didn’t fight with all his might? She could never have guessed that his improvement in swordplay was all due to finding the Mohist Swordplay’s Addendum.

In Zhao Zhi’s eyes now, there is only Dong the Horse Fanatic who has that natural, graceful bearing of a hero, to the extent that even the handsome looking Li Yuan seems to pale on comparison.

Zhao Ya looked at Li Yuan, and also looked at Xiang Shaolong. She felt that although both parties had their own powerfully attractive qualities, Xiang Shaolong’s uniquely alluring enigmatic and mysterious quality is something that Li Yuan cannot give.

Guo Xiu’er felt something altogether different.

Li Yuan was truly the ideal husband of her dreams, talented in both literature and martial arts. He is dignified and graceful, at the same time he has status and power. Despite knowing that he’s a playboy, but that’s the way of all men, so she could only resign herself to this fate and obey her father’s command to marry this Lord.

But the appearance of Dong Kuang allowed her to experience the lure of another type of man, unrefined and straightforward yet revealing a thrilling wisdom and extraordinary thinking, making her willing to be conquered by him. This dilemma of choosing between them is making this young girl’s heart disconcerted, unable to make a choice.

Now that the both of them are finally competing to decide their superiority, would it help her make a decision? During this warring period, everyone knows martial art, sword skills has long become the standard in judging someone’s skills. An expert swordsman will naturally be regarded as important and admired.

Li Yuan and Xiang Shaolong stared at each other unwaveringly, and said in a frosty manner, “Brother Dong’s horse rearing skills are unparalleled in this world, I really would like to see whether Brother Dong’s sword skill is comparable to your horse rearing skills.”

He lowered his body to assume a stance, waving the sword and pointing at Xiang Shaolong, repeatedly shaking.

Everyone in the audience broke out into cold sweat on Xiang Shaolong’s behalf, no one had expected that Li Yuan’s sword skills to have reached such high levels. Even when using the wooden sword, he’s still able to create ingenious changes, confusing the audience to the point where one can’t be sure where the attack will be coming from.

Xiang Shaolong was still standing stiff like a pillar, the corner of his mouth revealed a mysterious smile as he blandly replied, “What are you waiting for, Brother Li?”

His words were imbued with strong confidence, everyone can clearly feel that he’s not even a little bit intimidated.

Li Yuan definitely proved himself to be worthy of being Chu’s number one swordsman, he wasn’t at all provoked by these words. He smiled and swiftly attacked. When Xiang Shaolong raised his wooden sword, pointing at him diagonally, he retreated and returned to his previous position when they were facing each other, the distance between them totally remaining unchanged. It can be seen from this how precise Li Yuan’s footwork was. Just based on this point, Ji Yanran’s earlier conclusion that Li Yuan’s sword skills were above Xiang Shaolong was definitely not without evidence.
    Zhao Zhi was thinking that if Xiang Shaolong’s sword skills is on par with that Long Shan, these two people together would be enough to carry out the secret task of assassinating anyone. She can’t help but feel resentful towards Xiang Shaolong’s heartlessness.

Teng Yi concentrated on watching both of them, with their swords drawn and poised to attack. He was originally confident that Xiang Shaolong would undoubtedly win, but when he saw Li Yuan’s expertise when testing the water and his intricate and harmonized footwork, he couldn’t help feeling a little bit worried.

On the contrary, the one with the most confidence was Xiang Shaolong himself, not because he was underestimating his enemy, but because he had entered the state of Mohism protection, a state where there are no others and no self, yet at the same time his opponent’s intent cannot escape his observation at all.

He knew that Li Yuan is luring him into attacking first, but he was totally unmoved. If both sides are not striking at all, the one who will lose face wouldn’t be this ‘Horse Fanatic’ but the arrogant Li Yuan who had made his boast earlier.

While training in the 21st century, they really focused on the psychology of warfare and he is currently applying what he has learnt, intending to strike at Li Yuan’s weak points based on his character.

After facing each other for awhile, sure enough, Li Yuan couldn’t endure any loss of face and got impatient. He gave a cold snort, single-handedly lifted his sword overhead and leapt forward. As the long sword was about to violently strike Xiang Shaolong, his left hand grabbed the sword handle as well, and the power was intensified as now he is wielding the sword with both hands instead.

Even though many disdained Li Yuan, but on seeing this outstanding move, everyone can’t help but be impressed. Furthermore, this move was extremely severe and violent, gathering the power in the whole body’s strength to the arms. If Xiang Shaolong raised his sword with one hand to block, then it very possible that this single move will determine the winner.
    Xiang Shaolong still looked as calm as still water. He only raised his brows, turned his wrist, and actually used only one hand to block Li Yuan’s move.
    Ji Yanran was so astonished that her heart was beating rapidly, her slender hands rose to cover her gasping mouth that was about to scream.

In the past, she had fought both of them separately so she naturally understood that their arm strength were comparable. But this time Li Yuan is using both hands to attack and he has the added power from the running momentum so it’s not hard to know who would be stronger.

Ai! How can Xiang Shaolong be so reckless?

Everyone there can only hear the swooshing of Li Yuan’s sword cutting thru the air and could tell the ferocious power behind it, all couldn’t bear to see the happening of another tragic ending.

Li Yuan saw Xiang Shaolong trying to block with a single hand and was secretly happy so he intensified his strength into the strike.

Aaaarrgghh! Cliff hanger! Aaaarrgghh! Aaaarrgghh! Aaaarrgghh! Aaaarrgghh! Aaaarrgghh! Aaaarrgghh! Aaaarrgghh! Aaaarrgghh!
    "I may walk slowly but I'm walking forward"

Is XSL repeating what Teng Yi did to Yanfan? Trick the opponent into one move, make him loose his balance and rearrange his face?

Thanks for the update! Go XSL!

nooooooo.....ur evil sylph

thx for the update

Thanks slyphiad. Great work.

Is it me or the story states that XSL feels he should not be over confident, but he actions are totally over confident.

But, I can't wait to see what he can muster up to beat this dude. Maybe XSL knows some magic tricks where the hand is faster than the eyes. 1 sec and the guys is down for the count.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

Feeling dejavu about this duel. XSL fought a very handsome man, excellent swordskill, and tricked him to attack first. Then, also tricked him again to win the duel. The last time, XSL killed that handsome man.

Don't know this time, though.

Thank you for the translation, guys. This is like a drop of water after a long... long... summer.

gqonmars2, XSL is using a military strategy from the Art of War.

When you are powerful show your enemy you are weak; when you are weak show your enemy you are powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by slyphiad View Post
    Zhao Zhi was thinking that if Xiang Shaolong’s sword skills is on par with that Long Shan, these two people together would be enough to carry out the secret task of assassinating anyone. She can’t help but feel resentful towards Xiang Shaolong’s heartlessness.
    ZZ is starting to get really annoying. She's constantly angry at XSL for either flirting with her, being rude to her, or refusing to help avenge her family's death. Just because he has the ability to help doesn't mean he's obligated to do it. And offering a 3 some as compensation not only cheapens herself, but highly unworthy of risking one's life.

I'm hoping there are better female characters yet to appear because so far, I don't find any of the women very appealing.

Really? U don't like any of the girl so far? Ji Yanran sounds pretty kewl. She's a bit snobbish at first. I've so far read up to book 16. The other girls probably gets more annoying. He pretty much slows down after this saga, unlike when he just first came here where he slept with practically any girl he comes across. Anyway, don't want to say too much and ruin it for you guys.

Ji Yanran is described to be perfect, yet she still comes off as a bland character to me. Since practically every woman in this story is considered beautiful, I've become indifferent to her looks. Regarding her intelligence, yes she is smart, bookwise. But she hasn't really done anything that showcased her ability. Her personality doesn't really stand out among XSL's harem. All his women are madly in love with him and follow his every word.

I suppose I am in the minority though. I'm sure the other readers do find her interesting. Plus, the story is all about XSL and I don't think Huang Yi intended to write strong female characters.

Smile

[quote=tweety365;903621] I suppose I am in the minority though. I'm sure the other readers do find her interesting. Plus, the story is all about XSL and I don't think Huang Yi intended to write strong female characters.[/quote]

Although in an odd way, Zhao Ya's character is pretty strong. She is a kind of woman that can make her partner/husband/lover/man achieves big things. IF she bothers enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Disbol View Post
    gqonmars2, XSL is using a military strategy from the Art of War.

When you are powerful show your enemy you are weak; when you are weak show your enemy you are powerful.

So he thinks the opponent is weak!
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH