Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Ehh...to be absolutely honest, I'm burnt out of DGSD, especially considering I know the story. It was tough enough going through all those chapters of Duan Yu's crap, but after spending an hour or so just dealing with Zhao Qiansun's shit, I really lost all motivation. I might go back to it later, but for now, it'll just have to lie there.
    RWX, please forgive me if I overstep my boundaries.....but considering that I am DGSD fanatic, would you consider translating it for me, if I paid you? (I am not sure if I can mention that on these forums, and if any mention of monetary restitution is mentioned, I apologize to the moderators and retract it). Consider it an incentive.

Please send me a PM regarding your thoughts on this. Should I ever obtain a fully translated copy (through whatever means) I will gladly post it here for the entire audience.

If we are on the subject of paying for translations, I want to put in requests too!

Quote Originally Posted by gqonmars2 View Post
    Thanks slyphiad.

What a way to throw a wrench at it..

I wonder if XSL will still get some.
    Ditto. What happened to XSL 'spicy' adventures? (I can't believe I actually missed it...)

Welcome RWX! You have a high standard of translation and I think you can work with Jean and Sly well.

My personal observation is most people start translations but lose the momentum halfway and it becomes a dead end until someone else comes in to finish, which is probably 6 months or a year later or even more.

Other translators are also quite shy about taking over as they are not the "originator" and may be taking the pride from the original translator. I'm very impressed with Abhay and Jean's openness (and anyone else I may have missed) that the story should go on and what starts should finish. It is also good for the people following the story that they have closure. I believe the story is bigger than the translator(s).

Having said that, I noticed SITP, White Hair Bride and OTG have the highest update rates. (Bordertown, TYMYD & LXF 4 are recently completed). OTG is soon to be completed, Fox is doing great @ WH bride while Jean is busy with work so SITP slowed a bit.

I do suggest everyone can work together and clear SITP asap. It is better for everyone as there is cross motivation between the translators as well. Now Jean is busy, RWX does more. When he is busy, Jean continues. Sly is also making their work easier. Once SITP is done, we can work on DGSD. Fox will do LXF 5 if available after WHB and Abhay can help the other translators too after OTG.

These are my honest feedback. Translators are humans too and they also need a break sometimes. When they cover each other, they can work better and things get done more efficiently.

I don't mean to dictate anyone to follow my recommendations. These are my honest feelings. I do apologise if I offend anyone here. PEACE!

Quote Originally Posted by bchin22 View Post
    RWX, please forgive me if I overstep my boundaries.....but considering that I am DGSD fanatic, would you consider translating it for me, if I paid you? (I am not sure if I can mention that on these forums, and if any mention of monetary restitution is mentioned, I apologize to the moderators and retract it). Consider it an incentive.

Please send me a PM regarding your thoughts on this. Should I ever obtain a fully translated copy (through whatever means) I will gladly post it here for the entire audience.
    lol, bchin22...while I'm very flattered at the thought that you'd pay me to translate, as an FYI, if I took it on as a job at the standard minimum translation rate of $0.10 per word, every single remaining chapter of DGSD would cost ya around two grand, since there is roughly 20000 Chinese hanzi characters per chapter. So...yeah, unless you have a lot more money than I realize, I'm afraid it'd be rather cost prohibitive. That being said, if you DO have that sort of cash to toss around, please do feel free to toss me a PM and we can discuss it there

RE Justin13: FYI, we are barely a third of the way through SITP; it is a loooong book. I expect it to be another one of those long, long projects. As a secondary FYI, translators generally work on whatever interests them, as opposed to just for the sake of finishing something like a task/project. The other book I am really interested in, to be honest, is 'Sword of the Third Master', 'San Shaoye de Jian', so we'll see how things go....
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thanks to Jean & Slyphiad for all your great work. Now we also have Ren Wo Xing helping out. This novel will be done in no time!

Great work! Incidentally, FYI, this is one of the translations I am most interested about, and with Bordertown Wanderer finished, I have a lot more free time on my hand. Not to step on any toes, but if desired, I would be more than willing to help out in getting this translation done asap, be it by editing or whatever.

Thank you Ren Wo Xing in advance...
    Last edited by gqonmars2; 11-19-09 at 10:18 AM.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Ditto. What happened to XSL 'spicy' adventures? (I can't believe I actually missed it...)

yeah, I really miss those parts and some adventure like early on parts.

THanks for joining in Ren Wo Xing...

Just checking in.... happy holidays to all.

lol, bchin22...while I'm very flattered at the thought that you'd pay me to translate, as an FYI, if I took it on as a job at the standard minimum translation rate of $0.10 per word, every single remaining chapter of DGSD would cost ya around two grand, since there is roughly 20000 Chinese hanzi characters per chapter. So...yeah, unless you have a lot more money than I realize, I'm afraid it'd be rather cost prohibitive. That being said, if you DO have that sort of cash to toss around, please do feel free to toss me a PM and we can discuss it there

RE Justin13: FYI, we are barely a third of the way through SITP; it is a loooong book. I expect it to be another one of those long, long projects. As a secondary FYI, translators generally work on whatever interests them, as opposed to just for the sake of finishing something like a task/project. The other book I am really interested in, to be honest, is 'Sword of the Third Master', 'San Shaoye de Jian', so we'll see how things go....

acctually 2 gran would be easy... just get hans to put up a fundraising thread... there are many readers such as my self who would pay $$ to hans to allocate accordingly to translators.
    Ali Derhamy

aaargh dont giv me false hope aliderhamy...i saw an update listed on the thread and my hope skyrocketed lol....sigh anyways happy holidays to every one

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post
    acctually 2 gran would be easy... just get hans to put up a fundraising thread... there are many readers such as my self who would pay $$ to hans to allocate accordingly to translators.
    I agree. I've been here for about 5 years, and feel a little embarrass for not contribute anything. I know translating is taking a lot of effort, thus should be rewarded. Although I think (most of) the translators are not in financial need.

Just my two cents, though.

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post
    Eh, i can try but most of our translators may not want to get paid and also there are legal/copyright issues if money is involved.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

OK!!!!!!! I know I am wrong to mention this and may get a ban! Truthfully though, I feel that you Renwoxing should take this project over yourself as it seems interest in this series is waning!

Please contribute to this series as much as you can, and let it be completed oneday by Jean/Sylphiad or any others who contribute to this magnificent piece of work!

aargh again..merry xmas everybody esp sylp and jean

hmm, I'm not too sure abotu the progress right now either but I guess renwoxing and sylphiad are communicating about the translation. After the new year I'll have a bit more free time so I can help out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    hmm, I'm not too sure about the progress right now either but I guess renwoxing and sylphiad are communicating about the translation. After the new year I'll have a bit more free time so I can help out again.
    Yeah! Jean Jean Jean Jean Jean!

I was given a segment for editing, but things have just gotten so incredibly busy around the holiday season. I will do my best to get something to sylphiad by end of weekend!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Still here and highly anticipating - I just don't post too often in case putting too much pressure on the translators. Happy holidays! Just wanted to let you know your fans have not gone missing!