Page 15 of 321 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Anticipation makes the wait that much more worthwhile. I love it when she does it...it makes me look forward to tomorrow
    --=={Grundle}==--

Well, I can't help myself peeking at the continuation of the chapter.
    Definitely a detailed duel, not like Gu Long.

Good job Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    You know Jean, if there is anything you have wanted to demand from the members here, now is the time to do it.

oh... REALLY?

All right, I'm not that bad, here's the duel.... part of it anyway. It's definitely longer than Gu Long's 2 sentences, heck, it's longer than 2 pages!

Lian Jin turned towards Xiang Shaolong and struck a pose, both his feet steady on the ground, as if he’s atop a horse, his upper body leaning a little back. Under the firelight, his dazzling Golden Ray Sword pointing at Xiang Shaolong, who is 20 steps away from him. He held the pommel of the sword tightly in front of his chest, making one feel his immense strength waiting to be unleashed.

Xiang Shaolong’s eyes were lowered to the ground, his wooden sword touching the ground, like an old monk meditating. He was facing the King of Zhao, with Lian Jin at his side.

Although the two of them have not started the fight, but everyone can strongly feel the opposing calmness and movement, the atmosphere so tense that it makes breathing difficult.

Lian Jin has no idea that this calmness is the essence of the Mozi swordplay and thought that his opponent is afraid because he is weak. He laughed loudly, “Is Brother Xiang frightened!”

Lady Ya sat up straight and looked at the plaza, a dagger hidden in her sleeves. She cried out in her heart, “Xiang Lang, do not be afraid, Zhao Ya will accompany you.”

Once the crowd heard Lian Jin say that, they all felt that Shaolong was afraid and talked amongst themselves busily. The King of Zhao and Master Wu looked unhappy while Zhao Mu laughed icily.

This does not mean that their eyes are not bright enough. It’s just that the essence of Mozi swordplay which places more emphasis on defense rather than attack, is really vastly different from the other schools of swordplay and ideals during that era. When 2 enemies face each other, who would not use all their might to attack, hoping to strike a fatal move.

The corners of Xiang Shaolong’s mouth curved up into a slight smile and he said nonchalantly, “Top grade martial arts, is not something that Brother Lian can understand, strike now! Don’t let others misunderstand that Brother Lian is only someone who can talk.”

Lian Jin was so furious that his eyes shot out a murderous, icy stare. He straightened his back, using the strength to propel his hand forward, the golden ray from the sword shot forward, aiming at his opponent’s shoulder, his aim accurate and vicious.

Zhao Mu and Prince Shaoyuan’s tables erupted in thunderous cheers.

Xiang Shaolong was calm, not at all affected by the cheers of his opponent’s supporters.

He knows that once he strikes, it’ll be difficult for him to pretend to be tired and weak, then he’ll certainly be defeated by Lian Jin whose sword skills is as good as his. But he can lure Lian Jin in using strategies.

Lian Jin will take advantage of the fact that he’s weak, so he will certainly use all his might to attack once he moves. Besides, Lian Jin has deep hatred for him, and wants to further weaken him, so he will surely not give any leeway in his attack. He will use all his strength in all his moves, and in that way, he will fall into his trap.

Comparing their stamina, how can Lian Jin be better than him who has gone through the strictest stamina training.

So when Lian Jin thinks that he is exhausting his energy, the truth is contrary, it is Lian Jin himself who will be exhausting his own energy.

Besides, his advantage is that his wooden sword is 3 to 4 times heavier, so if Lian Jin wants to fight head on, he’ll be at a disadvantage.

The sword’s ray has reached him, aiming towards his left rib.

Without a word, Xiang Shaolong took a diagonal step back towards the right, the heavy wooden sword left the ground and came up diagonally, and struck right at the tip of the Golden Ray sword, which is exactly the weakest point of his opponent’s sword.

The Golden Ray sword could not withstand this and was immediately bounced away.

This time it is the rest of the people who cheered, the loudest of course being those from the Wu family. Wu Ting Fang’s palms were almost swollen from the clapping.

Even Lian Jin did not expect his opponent’s swordplay would be better than when they fought the last time, and was afraid he’ll take the opportunity to press on an attack. He lifted his sword back into the defend position, and was about to strike again when his opponent turned to face him, his heavy wooden sword retracted a little, as if he’s getting ready to attack. He was so shocked that he took a step back.

Right at this time, the sword Xiang Shaolong was holding lightly trembled, and dropped a little, revealing a superficial loophole.

Lian Jin was ecstatic, thinking to himself that this lad is already showing fatigue at the second strike, so he hesitated no further. With a ‘swoosh’, he lifted his sword for a direct slash, as if he wanted to slash his opponent’s wooden sword. When his shoulder is almost parallel, his body dashed forward, his wrist flicked and the slash changed into a stab, aiming right at his opponent’s face. At the same time he gave a flying kick towards his opponent’s wooden sword, the moves aimed at killing his enemy with one stroke.

His movements were fluid like a swimming dragon, forming a coherent whole with a murderous intent. Everyone was dumbfounded and started getting worried for Xiang Shaolong.

Lady Ya secretly exclaimed to herself ‘forget it’, and while those people next to her were concentrating fully on the duel, she pressed the dagger against her belly.

Xiang Shaolong looked icily at the Golden Ray sword that was coming to him like a poisonous dragon and moved swiftly to the side. With a backhand move of his wooden sword, it hit square and hard on the Golden Ray sword.

“Clang” and the Goldne Ray sword was propelled away again.

The crowd was intoxicated and cheered loudly.

Although Lian Jin’s wrist was numb from the impact, but because Xiang Shaolong used only 50% of his strength, Lian Jin thought that he is just using his remaining strength, coupled with the excellent swordplay and the heavy weight of the wooden sword to block his Golden Ray sword. He laughed loud and long, and struck 10 times, each attack aimed to force the opponent into fighting head on with him.

Xiang Shaolong was secretly laughing, his opponent is giving up the intricacies of the swordplay, and his using his disadvantage to attack to his advantage. Therefore he retreated as he fought, with no loopholes in his defense at all. Either slashing or stabbing, he’d always managed to neutralize Lian Jin’s vigorous attacks at the last moment.

On the surface, Lian Jin has gained the upper hand, forcing Xiang Shaolong to keep on retreating without a chance to retaliate at all. But only Lian Jin will know the difficulty, although his opponent seems to be in a dangerous position, but he can never seem to fully break past his last defense.

Why is it that after last night’s depletion of his energy, he is still so formidable.

The crowd has never seen such startling swordplay and were cheering madly.

The King of Zhao was excited as well and kept on clapping and cheering.

Zhao Mu had thought that Lian Jin could have a swift victory, and now he was furrowing his brows. He took a glance at Lady Ya and saw her piteous look, which put his mind at ease a little.

Prince Shaoyuan shouted the most fiercely, he wished that Lian Jin would cut off Xiang Shaolong’s head with one slash.

Xiang Shaolong took another 3 steps back and laughed loudly before standing steady. The heavy wooden sword slashed across with all his might, but just before it hit against the Golden Ray sword, the stance changed twice, forcing the now tired Lian Jin to change his moves twice before he can block the heavy wooden sword.

“Dang!” The sound this time actually sounded like the crisp clanging of 2 metal swords hitting against one another.

Lian Jin was stunned and realized that his opponent’s strength has increased by at least half and although he did not want to, he can’t help but take 2 steps back, changing his attack into defense. His relentless attacks finally came to an end.

Xiang Shaolong stared at him, electricity shooting out from his eyes, and he seems to be a totally changed person. He straightened his back, revealing a heroic air and said icily, “You’ve been tricked!”

Last edited by Jean; 11-28-07 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks Jean. Awesome fighting scene!

Now that's the stuff. I want XSL to beat up Lian Jin "real good" =)

FINALLY!

I hope Lian Jin gets beaten into a bloody pulp . XSL better not be soft hearted at the last minute and spare his pathetic life. Jean, get back to . This is getting good. I LOVE U!

I wonder if XSL could somehow take advantage of this situation to imply that Lian Jin was somehow backstabbed by Zhao Mu, creating distrust between the two of them. Otherwise, admitting that he's winning through trickery doesn't seem like the best thing to do :P. XSL don't get cocky too early!!!

JEAN,
    today.... I know I LOVE YOU!!!

after the duel translation.... I know.... I'LL LOVE YOU EVEN MORE!!!

=== Thanks ===

Hi Jeeeaaaaaannnnn,

I love u 22222222 ...

Even last night I dreamed, I was XSL who got dueled with Lian Jin and you're my very best friend who bore witnes to my duel and write it down for this forums ....

Thanks Jean, although the battle doesn't finish yet, but I think I know the ending ... Make it surprise to our other friend Jean !
    Last edited by Gubrak; 11-29-07 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    Anticipation makes the wait that much more worthwhile. I love it when she does it...it makes me look forward to tomorrow
    Ah. The anticipation!

Quote Originally Posted by Icefrog View Post
    JEAN,
    today.... I know I LOVE YOU!!!

after the duel translation.... I know.... I'LL LOVE YOU EVEN MORE!!!

=== Thanks ===

Please add me also, i also fell in love with this fairy story-teller....hmmm...if jean writes a story, she will be earning more fame than JK rowlings....jean o jean...a hug for you

LOL.....you shameless sycophants.....

BTW, Jean....did I mention I love you also?

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    LOL.....you shameless sycophants.....

BTW, Jean....did I mention I love you also?

kchill, u again reminding chill pill ...any way, jean is unanimously agreed to be a lovable fairy created by god...hahaha..so we all love you jean

wow... i feel like an idol now....

ok, you guys can stop putting me on the pedestal... until the next fight at least.

Here's the end of the chapter, and end of the fight..

He took half a step forward, roared and raised his sword to slash at his opponent’s face. The wind carried his roar, piercing to the ears, and even more astonishing, this slash seems to carry with it the fatality of a thousand soldiers and horses charging into the battlefield.

The endless cheers and roars came to an abrupt stop.

This change is too unexpected.

Many stood up unconsciously, and Zhao Mu is one of them.

Lady Ya stood up with a surprised ‘Ah’, the dagger in her hand dropped to the ground, a look of happiness as she gazed at her godly and heroic lover.

When Lian Jin heard his opponent said “You’ve been tricked”, he was so frightened his senses took leave of him. But he is after all a skilled pugilist, and used all his capability and strength to forcefully meet with this unavoidable attack.

Lian Jin’s stamina was not as good as Xiang Shaolong’s in the first place, and coupled with the fact that he’s fought for a long time and losing strength. His opponent’s wooden sword was almost a hundred catties, so Xiang Shaolong’s attack forced him to retreat 3 steps back.

A thunderous applause erupted from the crowd at this time.

There was no expression in Xiang Shaolong’s eyes at all, he was as calm as still water. The heavy wooden sword on his shoulder, he walked towards Lian Jin step by step. The ‘pak pak’ sound made by his footsteps, became the symphony of death.

His formidable imposing manner pressed further, not allowing Lian Jin any time to catch his breath at all.

Lian Jin knows that he must not let his opponent take control of the situation, so he roared and the Golden Ray sword became a shining blur, turning from a wide attacking stance back into the more intricate swordplay he is more adept at.

Xiang Shaolong’s heavy wooden sword sprung up from his shoulder and was in midair as he said icily, “It’s too late!”

The heavy wooden sword increased its speed. It looked like a clumsy move but in fact it was an intricate one, slashing heavily right in the middle of the shining, blurred sword.

The blur of the sword stopped, Lian Jin took a few steps back, fresh blood oozing from the corner of his mouth.

Xiang Shaolong knows that if he wants revenge, this is the time. He quietly called out Shu’er and Su Nu’s names in his heart and charged forward, knocking into Lian Jin together with his sword.

The two bodies joined together and separated again.

Everything was quiet, it was as if time has been frozen at that instant.

The whole hall was so quiet that one can hear a pin drop. Besides Zhao Mu and a few other highly skilled pugilists with excellent eyesight, the rest can’t really see clearly what has happened.

The two of them exchanged positions, then separated by one step, and stood back to back.

Xiang Shaolong raised his head upwards, the wooden sword back on his shoulder, his eyes filled with endless sadness and anger.

Lian Jin looked totally dumbfounded and lowered his head to look at his chest where the sword struck. He felt the broken ribs and the gradually spreading heart wrecking pain.

Everyone was flabbergasted, looking at the two quietly standing person in the hall.

Lian Jin groaned, and he knelt down.

Xiang Shaolong looked heavenward and laughed loud and long. He knelt down towards the King of Zhao, the tip of his sword on the ground and said respectfully, “It’s my good fortune that I have not lost my life, and I would like to marry the young lady of the Wu family, Tingfang as my wife.” His words were deliberately spoken for Lian Jin’s ears.

On hearing this, Lian Jin felt a rush of anger attacking his heart, spurted out a mouthful of fresh blood and collapsed on the ground. His stance was like he was kow-towing in prayer, and died on the spot.

Zhao Mu lost everything in this bet and was so furious his face turned pale. His fists clenched tightly, he looked at Lady Ya with hatred.

Lady Ya’s pretty face revealed an alluring exhilaration, her dainty body trembling. She had just turned her head back and took a look at him, the corners of her mouth revealing a disdainful expression.

Zhao Mu suddenly knows that Lady Ya is now fully out of his control.

Everyone in the Wu family was excited.

Wu Tingfang’s hands clasped her pretty face, tears of love rolling down her cheeks uncontrollably. Heavens! She will be his little wife.

The rest of the people in the hall have not recollected their emotions after witnessing the engaging duel earlier and were still looking on speechlessly. The only sound they can hear is the remaining echoes of Xiang Shaolong’s words.

The King of Zhao personally poured a cup of wine and left his seat to walk towards Xiang Shaolong and said with a sigh, “Such swordsmanship has truly never been seen before. From today onwards, not only will Shaolong be Wu Tingfang’s husband, but you’ll also be Great Zhao’s Chief Imperial Officer. I will bestow you a cup of excellent wine.”

Xiang Shaolong put his wooden sword down and after kowtowing and thanking his Majesty, he received the wine while still kneeling and drank it in one gulp.

Thunderous cheers erupted.

No one is interested to throw even a glance at Lian Jin’s body.

Last edited by Jean; 11-29-07 at 11:22 PM.

Lian Jin died!!!!??? This is so different from the tv serial. The novel is by far more entertaining.
    "I may walk slowly but I'm walking forward"

If he's not dead, he sure won't be eating solid food for a while.....!

jean, i thought lian jin wont die that easy....i expected XSL will have to fight more for that!

Ding Dong! Lian Jin is dead! Wonder when it's Zhao Mu's turn. That man creeps me out.

FATALITY!!!!!!

Jean we heart you!!!

I'm not sure Lian Jin's dead... it doesn't explicitly say he's dead, right? It seems like he's out for now though.