Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Yes, Please use spoiler alert/tag.

@grundle i totally agree with you its an insult to the devoted translator that spend their time and effor to provide us with HQ translation by posting machine tranlstaion raw if we want to read it like that its really easy to use google translator plis don't post that rubbish anymore i'm afraid justine won't translate the part that already upload by the crappy machine it's a headache to read that
    @balikpapan screw you and your comment you better not read the translation provide here and read the novel at chine web using systrans and goggle translator i bet you'll love it sucker

Quote Originally Posted by balikpapan View Post
    I have reread it three times. Yes, I have a sad life..
    I think the last sentence sums it all. Don't be upset, Grundle.

Default I was having fun

Quote Originally Posted by Grundle View Post
    What is your point?
    Grundle used a joke (humaros repremand) to advise the machine translator to use a new thread. A point I compleatly agree with, mainly becouse this a translation is by a team of translators that have maintained a high quality.

so I made a joke around the same line... saying grundle used a virtual slap.

IMO we all wuxia enthusiasts, bable fish or google translations are fine (fastclock is a master of these)... but they are not the same as a fully translated, edited chines to english translation.

Something like a post with a link to a new machine translation thread should sort out this problem. (even though I am allways keen for spoilers i dident bother reading the machine translation becouse it dosent really make any sense)

The only real problem i have with the machine translation is that it makes the translation thread look a bit disorganised/ confusing.

Grundle bro, you know I am a big fan of your work... have been for many years. Never take anything I say as an insult... :P

hmmm IMO anyone on this forum appreciates any form of translation completed. The higher the quality of translation... the higher the level of appreciation.
    the SITP fans just going wild with withdrawl from Justins full chapter a day updates. (natives are restless and all that)

we all lookforward to updates and enjoy reading them... I check daily to see what has been updated. and we all remember the great effort people like Jean, Ren, Foxs and many many others... including Grundle have done.

allright I am off to play some soccer :P hopefully when i get back there maybe an update... but I cant blam youguys if you dont update... cause i never bother translating anything for anyone I am allways off playing sports or working or having fun... these translations are a form of charity... or positive carma from the translators to us readers... none of us will dispute this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunn View Post
    A very long chapter indeed, giving me a very long headache from guessing what the sentences might mean
    Oh how I missed the regularly updated chapters. I am still waiting for new updates from the mighty translators.

if anyone wants to quote me this is my point of view 2

catch you all on the flip side... and grundle if you dont participate in this translation forum... imagine how FOXS will feel... all alone

stay and play... honestly we all appreciate your effort... (even Balikpapan) even if he dosent say it... he allways posts up after new translations... showing that he really dose read updates and enjoys them.
    Last edited by aliderhamy; 01-20-11 at 11:43 PM.
    Ali Derhamy

Please remove the machine translated bits. It is an insult to all of the translators who spent quality time and effort to make this such a great work to read. If you want to keep providing machine translations, make a separate thread so that I don't have to violate my eyes with that rubbish.
    Your post is rubbish and violating my eyes, too.
    Ok no problem. Since you love machine translation so much, you can read my translations that way too. I can take them elsewhere where people appreciate the hard work and time we sacrifice for moochers like you. Everyone can now thank you for this great service you have done for spcnet.
    Relax, man. I was just using your words to Samsung when had a go with you. Why spouting things when you yourselves can't take it, then?
    And who said I love machine translation so much? Just ask Jean, RWX, and even Justin13 how I appreciate their 'arts'. I am sorry if I offended you, Grundle. Don't take it to the heart. Sometimes on internet, comment can sound harsher than it's intended to.
    Last edited by balikpapan; 01-21-11 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsense View Post
    @balikpapan screw you and your comment you better not read the translation provide here and read the novel at chine web using systrans and goggle translator i bet you'll love it sucker
    MODERATED. You know better -- RWX
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 01-21-11 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Flaming

Hi Newbie forumer here (eventhough I have follow all translation here for long)...

I think there is a misunderstanding here...
    @ Grundle & Dragonsense, I think Balikpapan want to say that he support Grundle opinion on Machine translation but he quote the wrong quote so it seems he is critize Grundle translation.
    @ Balikpapan, Your comment make ppl think you critize Grundle. Please clarify whether you are actually critize the machine or his translation.

PS: Thank for all translator that have spent so much time and effort for daily dose of translation. I enjoy all the work in SITP, LoLM & HoTDTD + many others translation.

Especially registered to ensure no terminator moment (man vs machine) Peace.. and have a nice weekend.

Okay guys, everyone needs to calm down. I don't want to have to start deleting posts and handing out warnings.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

what a lively thread..
    remind me of DotA forum threads where people act childish, keep adding their emotional quotes, then mad with the replies..
    so sorry to interfere, but i believe we're a grown up person..and as a common reader, i really wish the next post would be related to the thread's title rather than pointless prattles..
    pardon me for adding this valueless quote..

@aliderhamy and @balikpapan - I must have misunderstood what you guys were trying to communicate, although in my defense I think that "facepalm" is generally reserved for when someone says something really stupid. And well the other post wasn't overtly sarcastic so I totally missed that.

I am sorry for getting so heated. I suppose I am a little sensitive about the hard work translators do to bring these awesome novels into English.
    --=={Grundle}==--

"I started a joke,
    which started the whole world crying
    But I didn't see,
    that the joke was on me, oh no"

Default I wonder what Jean thinks of us...

"I started a joke,
    which started the whole world crying
    But I didn't see,
    that the joke was on me, oh no"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY&ob=av3el

I think its time for Ren to step and Regulate
    but its true we kept the forum active
    even if we dident do it in the classiest way possible.

Its funny i noticed a lot of new members commenting in the spam welcome to the jungle.

grundle this is the clip I was refering to when i said the slap joke.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBNZxxoLv7w

its from a charly murphy skit... I ment is a joking suport of your own words (you had said that machine translation looks ugly or w.e... like a verbal slap)

But good thing about slaps... they are not as serious as punches... as in they can be done as a joke sometimes.
    Last edited by aliderhamy; 01-21-11 at 11:15 PM.
    Ali Derhamy

Banned
    where dews kiss the first blush of the morning rose

Default Appreciation and support for the translators

I have been following many threads on this website for a long long time and apologize for being only a taker in the sense that I read with pleasure most of the translations. Translators in this forum have been selfless and most of the discussions have been centererd on the correctness of the translation and providing background information to many of the original stories that readers who read mandarin might not even know. I have learnt and appreciated most of those comments together with the high quality translations and research that was done to answer some of those questions raised by other members. Translators although are not the original authors, but are artists as well in their own right.
    They are story tellers who first of all have a lot of pride in the quality of their translation and have put in not only a lot of effort to translate correctly but also to tell the story in such a way that keeps us coming back for more. I find reading in this forum is much better than reading from the book as it stimulates my interests with suspense and keeps my hope up everyday to check the website for more. So I am not surprise with Grundle's response and I can say that I do not blame him. Since translators have worked at maintaining the quality of their work and have pride in their work, it will not be good if someone without careful thought just jeopardized all the hard work that is put in. However, the saving grace is the person who puts in a direct googled-muddled-translated posting did not, I am sure, do it out of malice. I think all of us should carry on the high level of discussions as we previously have done. Kudos to the translators and we as readers and takers should appreciate the translators sacrifice.

@balikpapan i'm sorry i've offended you with my post; just like grundle i misunderstood it soory again

Wow ... a very very hot thread ever
    But no machine translation please, frankly it's suck!

Thanks to all translators with their exellent translation, appreciate for your hard work.

stiil waiting for up date

Wow... I've been real busy and was stunned to see all the posts here.

Take it easy guys. Although I still do not know what happened, I'm sure everyone
    does not have any bad intentions.

I haven't decided which computer to get but I promise to get one real soon.

Sorry for the long wait. I'll make it up to everyone

Btw, does anyone has any suggestions? I wanted to get a mac because my fav girl is using 1 but there are some functions you just cannot utilize on the internet.

I did grow up with windows but I really hate all the viruses and bugs. My last laptop succumbed to a super virus.

I'm a pc user myself, but I've heard wonderful things about the mac. I've been wanting to get one, but also hesitant about having to learn and adjust to new things. I would vote for the mac

I noticed a heated exchange concerning the use of computer based translations... I've often used computer based translation on other languages not Chinese, but I've seen people translate novels extremely fast using such a system. I've been told the most important thing is to build a good TMX (Translation Memory Exchange) file and use it only for that particular piece of work or works by that particular author. It'll substitute pinyin for names rather than trying to translate them and build a custom database of phrases for later use. And once you've translated a few chapters it gets faster and faster ... Btw, which CAT systems do translators on these forums use, and do you guys exchange/share TMX files? I believe almost all "professional/paid" translators nowdays use something like Trados or WordFast...

I believe Google is moving in the direction of using translation memories in their "Google Translator Toolkit"....

Justin13, I would highlly recommend getting a PC Laptop running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (making sure to enable Power Saving Options)... Windows Server actually uses less memory/resources than the eye-candied Windows 7. It should have dual-band wifi, built in 3g/4g mini-PC adapter (usb 3g/4g adapter is horrible), & flash memory slots to replace DVD drive, and very slim/light. Windows has equalled and sometimes surpassed the MacOSX in virtually all areas, it seem.. Good luck....