Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

welcome back Jean, we`ve been missing you ^^

Thanks Ren, God bless U! xD
    "Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is Mystery.
    Today is a gift... That`s why we called it Present."

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Nice to see you Jean! I'll have the next chapter up in a few days; it's half done. Just got hit with a crazy parental abduction/abuse case which anyone who reads the New Straits Times might have seen :-p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI

hey Ren what do you do ? lawyer ?

heya jean great to see you on the forum
    Last edited by aliderhamy; 03-11-11 at 10:26 PM.
    Ali Derhamy

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Nice to see you Jean! I'll have the next chapter up in a few days; it's half done. Just got hit with a crazy parental abduction/abuse case which anyone who reads the New Straits Times might have seen :-p
    Sadly, i'm at some place where there is no New Straits Times around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    eh... didn't realise there was such a long break in translations... haven't been in here for a while.

But since I started this, need any help continuing (slowly)? I can't be as fast as justin, since I have work trips lined up all the way til May. Somepne just tell me which chapter to start.
    Yes, Yes ...Thanks Jean..for taking care your "baby" again. I read somewhere that Justin is in National Service (2yrs in Spore), so he may be off for some time...[sigh], therefore you or anybody's help is really appreciated....

give me some time for a headstart, i'll do chap 9.

Thanks Ren and welcome back Jean!!!

re aliderhamy: diplomat

Book 19, Chapter 7: Experts Converge

Xiao Pan had just won a beautiful victory and was in high spirits. He invited his closest officials to join him for lunch, and aside from Huan Yi, who had to leave Xianyang early and was unable to participate, even Teng Yi and Jing Jun, who had been miserably waiting outside the palace for Xiang Shaolong to join them and cause trouble at the martial arts school, were invited.

Wang He, Wang Ling, Lords Changping and Changwen, Li Si, and the others were naturally the guests of honor.

The lunch banquet was hosted at the inner halls of the imperial palace. Without Zhu Ji present, Xiao Pan could act as he wished, and was extremely happy.

After the servants finished pouring the wine and bringing the dishes, he immediately shooed them out, so that everyone present could speak freely.

After Xiao Pan and the guests whole-heartedly congratulated Li Si, it fell to Xiang Shaolong to clearly and in great detail discuss the events of the previous night.

When he heard about the games which Lu Buwei was playing, Wang He suddenly grew furious. "It sounds as though the accusations which the departed Lu Gong and Xu Xian made regarding Lu Buwei's involvement in the death of the late King were not baseless after all. He now wants to return to his old tricks. Why don't we gain the initiative by launching a preemptive strike and kill that traitor, Lu, and wipe out all of his traitorous supporters. Crown Prince, please permit me to do so!"

Xiao Pan let out a sigh. "If this matter could be handled so easily, We would have long since summoned him to the palace and executed him. But right now, Lu Buwei's supporters are strong and numerous, and the likes of Du Bi and Pu Hu are waiting on the sidelines, eyes gleaming like hungry tigers. If chaos were to befall the city, Du Bi and the others would collude with outsiders to cause trouble. The three eastern provinces would immediately become difficult to keep. The most dangerous person of all is Meng Ao. So long as he maintains his military command, it will be difficult for us to act rashly."

Wang Ling, ever steady and reliable, concurred. "At this point in time, the best strategy is to wait for the Black Dragon's appearance, while supporting Lao Ai against Lu Buwei. The tactic of 'painting a picture with two brushes at once' is the best strategy."

As he spoke, he saw Li Si frantically winking at him. Only then did he realize his mistake, and his face turned as gray as ash.

Wang He, naturally, said with astonishment, "What do you mean, the Black Dragon's appearance?"

Xiao Pan had previously issued a stern command, that no one was to divulge the Black Dragon's existence. Now, as Wang Ling realized that he had exposed the secret, he was so terrified that his face turned pale.

Xiao Pan laughed, "Minister Wang, don't be too worried. But I'll only give you this free pass once."

Wang Ling sighed in relief, immediately kneeling down and apologizing for his mistake.

Seeing Xiao Pan's authority increase day by day, Xiang Shaolong was both frightened and exhilarated. Even he himself could not clearly describe what he was feeling.

Xiao Pan personally explained to Wang He about this matter. Overjoyed, Wang He praised Xiang Shaolong, "Only Shaolong could come up with such a brilliant plan that is both exacting and actionable. Using Lao Ai to counter Lu Buwei is even more unspeakably brilliant. Just now was proof of this approach's brilliance. In the future, no matter how great Lao Ai's influence becomes, in the end a castrated dog remains a castrated dog. Unlike Lu Buwei, he cannot win the hearts of others. Even if he grows two additional heads and sprouts two more sets of arms, he won't be able to escape this old general's hands."

Wang He was the general who, aside from Meng Ao, controlled the greatest amount of power. Naturally, he didn't hold Lao Ai in high regard.

Lu Buwei's power came from the fact that he had strong influence in both the civil side and the military side. Without a suitably complete plan to dispose of him at the proper time, things would become extremely chaotic. And when it comes right down to it, Lao Ai is nothing more than Zhu Ji's boytoy. Getting rid of him wouldn't result in any real repercussions, there would just be a period of struggle and turmoil. Especially now that Xiao Pan had assigned Mao Jiao to spy on him, what damage could he possibly do? Lord Changping coldly snorted, "Qiu Risheng is the real root of the problem. Shaolong, you are free this afternoon anyhow. Although you've promised Lao Ai not to kill him, it'll be easy for you to diminish his prestige."

Up till now, Xiang Shaolong still didn't understand the importance of the martial arts school, and so he seized the chance to ask.

Wang Ling replied, "The turbulence this school is causing was invited into Xianyang by Lord Yangquan from the country of Chu. They specialize in swordsmanship, and they serve in the employ of high officials and ministers. For warriors, they serve as a shortcut for gaining riches and glory, and thus they are flourishing quite well. There are many ministers and officials who have sent their children to the school to learn. Shaolong, in your battle with Qiu Risheng, you must be careful. For him to sit so securely as the headmaster of a school with so many different swordsmen is no mean feat, and requires real skill."

Everyone agreed, raising their glasses and drinking merrily. Their conversation turned towards the subject of the Three Legendary Courtesans. Chatting and laughing, by the time they finished the meal, Xiang Shaolong was totally full. How could he possibly be bothered to go hunt down Qiu Risheng and start punching and kicking him, without even being allowed to kill him? Happy and satisfied, he returned to his government office.

When Xiang Shaolong entered the room, he saw Lao Si there. Teng Yi was in the process of unhappily yet politely listening to him talk. When he saw Xiang Shaolong, he hurriedly disappeared.

When Lao Si saw Xiang Shaolong, he said in a fawning manner, "This humble one comes at the request of his elder brother, who asked me to invite the Great General to the Inner Custodian's Residence to enjoy a dinner banquet together."

Xiang Shaolong was secretly crying out for his mother. Could it be he would have to face Lao Ai for another goddamn night? He immediately wracked his brains, trying to find an excuse to decline.

Lao Si crept closer, putting on a mysterious air. "Tonight, my elder brother invited the Lady of the Three Perfections, Shi Sufang, to go to his manor for drinks. Naturally, he couldn't exclude you, Great General, from the gathering!"

Xiang Shaolong's mind immediately went blank, as a confused buzzing sound filled his mind. No matter how much he might want to deny it, he was moved.

There aren't many men in the world who would be able to resist the allure of rarely seen women of unparalleled beauty such as Shi Sufang or the "Soft Boned Beauty", Lan Gongyuan, even if they were in the position of enemies. Xiang Shaolong was no different.

Naturally, Lao Ai wouldn't be so generous as to allow Xiang Shaolong the chance to become intimate with Shi Sufang. There must have been some sort of condition which Shi Sufang had attached, such as his presence being necessary for her to be present as well. When he came to realize this, he couldn't help but feel immensely proud of himself.

The only issue was that he had just spent the previous night dawdling around at the Drunken Wind Pavilion. If he were to go visit Shi Sufang tonight, what would his tender wives think?

Xiang Shaolong let out a sigh. "I thank your brother for his kind intentions, but I do not have the good fortune to attend. Tonight, I must stay at home to accompany my wives. Please inform your brother that I, Xiang Shaolong, consider him to be an excellent friend indeed!"

A small smile on his face, Lao Si appeared extremely disappointed. Clearly, Xiang Shaolong's guess wasn't far off the mark.

After failing in his mission, Lao Si could do nothing besides leave.

Xiang Shaolong suddenly felt a strong sense of longing for his tender wives and beloved son, and so hurriedly returned home.

Ji Yanran returned home at about the same time that he reached the Wu residence. She had just returned from the river, where they had performed a drill on the 'appearance' of the Black Dragon in two days time.

The Tian sisters happily bathed them and changed their clothes. Their gentle, charming care was difficult to describe.

By the time he began to luxuriate in the light of the setting sun with his beloved wives and son in their garden, Xiang Shaolong had long since forgotten all about the matter of Shi Sufang, casting it beyond the highest heavens.

Perhaps he was getting old, or perhaps he had suffered too many deadly, life-and-death setbacks. Right now, he desired nothing more than the feeling of being together with his family and enjoying life with them.

As he engaged in idle family gossip with his three beloved wives, Ji Yanran, Zhao Zhi, and Wu Tingfang, as he watched Tian Zhen and Tian Feng play with Xiang Bao'er, who had just learned to walk, he felt a sense of joy which could not be replaced by anything whatsoever.

Wu Tingfang, having perhaps heard the news from the Guardians, knew that there had been a dispute in the morning court session and began to ask questions.

Naturally, Xiang Shaolong wouldn't hold anything back from them. He described everything which happened that morning in court, and even told them how he had declined the opportunity to feast with Shi Sufang tonight.

Surprised, Wu Tingfang said, "Beloved Xiang, aren't you afraid of offending Lao Ai as well as that beautiful woman whom every man wishes to get close to? After having witnessed the Soft Boned Beauty, Lan Gongyuan's good looks, I too would like to witness the artistry and skill of Shi Sufang."

Xiang Shaolong was sitting in the courtyard with his three wives. Every so often, the laughter of Xiang Bao'er and the Tian sisters would drift into the courtyard from the soft grassy terrain of the garden. His heart was filled with bliss and contentment, and he said whole-heartedly, "As long as a single one of my three worthy wives are willing to be with me, I, Xiang Shaolong, am wholly contented. Heaven is so kind as to allow me, such a trifle of a man, to have three celestial maidens from heaven as my wives. How would I, Xiang Shaolong, dare to ask for anything more?"

All three tender wives trembled lightly, their beautiful gazes flashing brightly with a loving flame.

Zhao Zhi, her heart enchanted and her soul intoxicated, said, "A husband such as this, what more can one ask? Every day I am with beloved Xiang feels like the first day we fell in love. Ah! I am so happy, I don't know what to say."

Ji Yanran sighed, "A pity that sister Qing has left for the prefecture of Shu. If she were here, this moment would be even more perfect and flawless. I really wish that milord husband would never have to go off to war again. The taste of parting is really indescribably bitter."

In accordance with Qin military law, when an army is mobilized, no soldier is allowed to bring his spouse or family. And thus, marching off to war is what wives fear the most.

Thinking about the cruelty of war, Xiang Shaolong couldn't help but let out a sigh.

Wu Tingfang moved closer to him. Seating herself within his embrace, she circled her arms around his neck. "Beloved Xiang, you didn't keep your appointment today. Qiu Risheng is sure to brag and claim that you are afraid of him!"

Ji Yanran also sidled over. Leaning against his tiger-like back, she said softly, "Anyone who has seen our Great General's "Hundred Battle Sabreplay" knows that Qiu Risheng just had a stroke of unbelievably good luck. Hmph! I, Ji Yanran, already showed mercy to Guo Xing, but these people still don't know what's good for them. When milord husband goes to the martial arts school, Yanran will go as well!" Invigorated, Xiang Shaolong boldly said, "Then after tomorrow's morning court, why don't we go to their school to settle accounts!"

Just as Wu Tingfang and Zhao Zhi were both exclaiming in approval, Ji Yanran let out a cry of dismay. "It has to be later! The Crown Prince asked me to go to the imperial palace tomorrow for his reading lessons. Alas! Since sister Qing isn't here, I have to be her replacement. I hear that sister Qing is very strict with the Crown Prince, but I cannot! It's far too much work for me to scrunch and stiffen up my face like that."

Only now did Xiang Shaolong discover that Ji Yanran had been given the title of Grand Tutor.

At the same time, he felt very touched.

Although Xiao Pan never expressed it, in reality, the longing he felt for his departed mother, Lady Ni, was a source of deeply engraved pain in his heart. He needed a replacement for her, and first, the replacement was Zhu Ji. Then, it was Qin Qing.

Now, it was Ji Yanran.

Otherwise, based on his current intelligence, how could he possibly need others to give him reading lessons?

[first half of chapter, second half to come]
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 03-18-11 at 11:45 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thanks a lot Ren
    "Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is Mystery.
    Today is a gift... That`s why we called it Present."

great work as always Ren

Cant wait for more!
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam to Paul Atreides

Aha, XSL is finally settling down somewhat =)

Thumbs up

Ren,

Yeeessss, what a wonderful update....thanks

chap 9 is done, will start on chap 10 next. Since I'm so out of touch with the story now, there might be continuity problems in my translation.

Ren, are you gonna translate chap 8 as well?

Default im uneasy

I dont feel well about the set up of having his wives so closely related to the crown prince.
    Ali Derhamy

Thanks for the post Ren!

You are a gift that keep on giving, Ren.
    Thank you for your hard work.

About the story, I still don't get it, what's the fuss about this dragon. Were those people in that era really uneducated and gonna believe in this 'sign'??

I wonder how 'realistic' this man made dragon. Even on the modern era, making something looks real on live show is almost impossible.

And I'm glad XSL resisted the temptation to see this 'softbone' girl. It's kinda boring to read another 'out of this world-one of a kind-the most beautiful woman to bend over to XSL again.

And a very warm welcome to our prodigal Lady Jean. A hardworking career woman, and a good mom. It's always nice to see long e-acquaintance appears again. A big e-hug for you!!

Jean, could you go ahead and do 8 as well? Thanks!

There were a few continuity issues re the exact names of various generals, I think, and that was it; I think the below is what I have been using/confirmed:

On XSL's side:
    Wang He (general)
    Wang Ling (general)

LBW's side:
    Wang Wen
    Cai Ze
    Meng Ao

Lao Ai's side:
    Lao Si (cousin)
    Pu Hu (merchant)
    Qiu Risheng (headmaster)

3 Legendary Courtesans:
    Shi Sufang (lady of three perfections)
    Lan Gong'ai (soft boned beauty)
    Feng Fei (exquisite swallow)
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 03-18-11 at 11:45 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Thank you for the update, RWX!
    I still highly doubt there are that many drop dead gorgeous women floating around ancient China. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder and XSL is a connoisseur of women.

What I find more unbelievable is there is a clear ranking of who is number 1 and 2, and everyone agrees!

There are a ton of beautiful women everywhere through, so it's not unbelievable for there to be so many, especially in a prosperous city. But an interesting point is that standards of beauty changes with time, so I find it difficult to believe that XSL, a man of the 21st century, would share the same opinion of beauty as people of 200b.c. time. Weren't beautiful women of this time kind of fat by our standards? For example, Ji Yanran is described as voluptuous and petite, which doesn't preclude her from being beautiful from today's standards, but it seems that many of the women we admire today in magazines are very tall, even lingerie models who are also voluptuous. There is little chance that Ji Yanran would be considered the top beauty of this time.

I never really got a clear picture of what Qin Qing really looks like, the description is vague and flowery, through I believe she is also described as voluptuous, but tall or short?
    Last edited by Demitre; 03-21-11 at 01:23 PM.

Let's just agree that XSL is more open-minded about what qualifies as beautiful. He did live on a military base surrounded by men all the time. We can either take that explanation or go with "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Besides #1 does not necessarily mean they are 10's on a scale. They just need to be better than the average, which would be the farm folk of the era.