Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

I don't think she is unenthusiastic - just really really tired from the last two days. I would be too!

That actually brougnt tears to my eyes..

to continue.....

Outside the palace doors, it was filled with people trying to take a look at the ruler and when they saw Xiang Shaolong coming out, cheers erupted immediately.

The sounds of hooves were heard. Guoxing, leading a troop rushed out from the side and saluted him from a distance.

On seeing Guoxing wearing his military uniform, like a changed man with his suave demeanor, Xiang Shaolong remembered the way Jing Jun looked when he wore his official uniform for the first time. He can’t help but feel a deeper sense of closeness towards Guoxing.

Guoxing came up to him and accompanied him as he rode towards the Wu residence. He said with a quiet laugh, “I’ve been waiting outside for quite some time. Earlier when Lao Ai and Lu Buwei came out separately, the crowds all jeered at them and they were so livid their faces were contorted. But when Great General Xiang emerged, you received the loudest cheers.”

Seeing little children in their brand new clothes setting off firecrackers and playing catch at the side, Xiang Shaolong has never felt so relaxed before.

Xiao Pan has finally stabilized his throne and in future, he’s the only person who will settle scores with others. People like Lu Buwei and Lao Ai will only be fit to become his sparring practice targets.

Guoxing said, “Master Xiang, please trust me. In future I will follow you with absolute loyalty.”

On hearing the change in his behavior, Xiang Shaolong showed his magnanimity by saying, “I will be leaving in about 10 odd days and Xiao Jun will take over my position for the time being. Just follow Xiao Jun and work well with him, this is also the best opportunity for you to mend relations with him.”

After Guoxing nodded his head in agreement, he lowered his voice and said, “After 5 of those assassins escaped, they all ran to Du Bi’s General Residence to hide from the search. From what I understand from Qiu Risheng, they will masquerade themselves as warriors from our Warrior School and attend the feast tonight.

Xiang Shaolong asked in puzzlement, “Did they think they still have a chance at assassination tonight, or do they not know that all who enter the Palace to attend feasts are not allowed to bring weapons?”

Guoxing replied, “Qiu Risheng is not that careless, he just hopes to make use of those people to regain some prestige of his school.”

Xiang Shaolong said nonchalantly, “Fine, then let me see what this Qiu Risheng looks like tonight. If not because of Lao Ai, I would have torn his school down today.”

On hearing this, Guoxing was petrified and secretly relieved that he has ‘changed his loyalty to the wise ruler’, otherwise he would be one of those who would face utter humiliation.

Guoxing added, “I heard that this morning Dan Meimei attempted suicide by hanging herself but luckily she was saved.”

By now Xiang Shaolong only feels pity and no hate towards Dan Meimei. But it’s really not convenient for him to interfere in this matter so he could only secretly lament that much as he would like to help, his hands are tied.

He can’t stop himself from asking, “Is Dan Meimei’s heart with Lao Ai?”

Guoxing gave a mysterious reply, “I’m afraid she’s the only one who knows. But there has been talk amongst the servants going around Drunken Wind Loft, saying that the person Dan Meimei is really interested in is you, Master Xiang.”

Xiang Shaolong was startled as he exclaimed hoarsely, “That must be a mistake, otherwise why would I not feel anything at all.”

Guoxing bumped his shoulder as he replied, “A woman’s heart is most unfathomable. Or maybe it’s a wrong rumor!” By then they have reached the Wu residence and Guoxing left after saluting.

As soon as Xiang Shaolong thought of his own wonderful and warmhearted family, all thoughts of Dan Meimei were cast to the back of his mind immediately.

As soon as he stepped into the house, his men told him that the famous courtesan Yang Yu from Drunken Wind Loft is here to look for him and currently waiting at the East Hall.

Xiang Shaolong was taken aback and he could roughly guess that this visit must be related to the unsuccessful suicide attempt by Dan Meimei and can only secretly heave a sigh.

He is almost of the mind to instruct his men to send Yang Yu away but ultimately he could not harden his heart to do it. After a brief internal struggle, he went to the East Hall.

This beauty was devoid of her makeup and wearing a plain outfit, and looks even more pleasing to the eye then when she was all decked up and heavily made up. Although she’s still incomparable to the previous night’s Shi Sufang, but her delicate beauty can still be considered rare.

Up until now he still cannot decipher the inner workings of this lady of the night’s heart.

Is she forced to harm him because she had to submit to Lu Buwei’s power? Or is she really in love with either Guan Zhongxie or Xu Shang, that’s why she’s willing to aid them in evil.

In an environment full of schemes and nefarious plots, he has learnt not to trust anyone easily.

At the same time he learnt how to use various methods to deal with his enemies, for example Wu Fu and Guoxing.

Yang Yu saw him arrive and left her seat in joy to receive him.

Xiang Shaolong was really worried that she will throw herself into his arms and if the servants see that, they will report to Wu Tingfang and the other ladies. By then there’s no way he will be able to defend himself.

That’s the thing with the human psychology. If he goes and have fun at Drunken Wind Loft, Learned Lady Ji and the rest can pretend ignorance as long as they don’t witness anything but if he were to bring the playthings home, that’s another matter altogether.

Xiang Shaolong hurriedly bowed and said politely, “Miss Yu, please take a seat.”

Yang Yu is an expert in the psychology of men. She smiled sweetly and after giving him an extremely meaningful look, retreated back to her seat. She waited for Xiang Shaolong to sit down next to her before she raised her brows and said quietly, “Meimei wanted to hang herself this morning. Luckily we have been on the alert to prevent her from committing silly acts so we were able to save her in time. But now there’s a horrible looking scar on her neck, she won’t be able to receive guests for quite some time.”

Xiang Shaolong furrowed his brows, “Miss Yu has come to see me, is it because you think I can be of assistance to her?”

Yang Yu sighed and said, “I know very well that by coming to see Great General Xiang like this, you are already being very kind to me by not chasing me out of your residence. It’s just that Meimei and I are closer than real sisters, the others are afraid of Lu Buwei’s authority and are keeping silent. In the whole of Xianyang City now, Great General is the only one who holds no regard for Lu Buwei at all. Meimei and I are really at our wits end so we can only shamelessly come and seek Lord Xiang’s help.”

Xiang Shaolong asked worriedly, “Wasn’t Meimei always on good terms with Lord Lao? Now that his power has increased greatly, if he is willing to marry Meimei and she doesn’t mind, it should be very difficult for Lu Buwei to raise objections.”

Yang Yu revealed a look of disdain as she said with a snort, “What is Lao Ai, at the very most he is just a toy boy of the Dowager. He can come out and flirt around but a month ago, someone gave him two song courtesans and in the end they were beaten to death by the Dowager’s people. Great General, please tell me who else would have the guts to marry into his residence.”

Xiang Shaolong was shocked speechless. He remembered during Lu Buwei’s birthday feast, Zhu Ji’s defensive looking eyes were full of vicious hatred, her whole demeanor was icy. Zhu Ji has really changed too much.

Last edited by Jean; 05-05-11 at 11:09 PM.

First!!....Thanks Jean!

Second.....???

been a "silent reader" for a long...long...time

I hope there is less intrigue and more action coming soon (ie a battle, duel, or even a poetry showdown). Thanks Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by drex44 View Post
    I hope there is less intrigue and more action coming soon (ie a battle, duel, or even a poetry showdown). Thanks Jean.
    eeekss! No poetry!

4TTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

5th is the new 1st.

I just reread half the story. Still fascinated me!! unbelievable plot.
    It is remarkable, the translation started since 2009 by Jean. And the comments are also fun to read.

5th is the new 1st.
    well then i'll settle for 6th which is actually 2nd....lol
    anyway... 1st or last... i always enjoy reading this.. and i give my hats off to the "Lady Jean"--- thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    eeekss! No poetry!
    Yes please. No poetry (or plagiarization in Shaolong's case).

Quote Originally Posted by balikpapan View Post
    5th is the new 1st.

I just reread half the story. Still fascinated me!! unbelievable plot.
    It is remarkable, the translation started since 2009 by Jean. And the comments are also fun to read.
    it was started in 2007.... wow, I think I spent almost 3 yrs of my life translating this (minus the long break I took in the middle and others had to kindly step in to help).

And before that was translating legendary siblings.

and in between those translations, some major events in my life... got new job... got new puppy... old dog passed away... got a baby... time really flies

Jean,

Although it may seem repititious, I would like to say "Thank You very much!!!" for the long translation work you began. This is indeed a very interesting work by an author we would not have known, if not for you. Thanks also to Ren Wo Xing and Justin, who took up the cudgels, during your hiatus.

I know that the only pleasure you get is from reading our comments and appreciation. But know this - you have helped introduce chinese storytelling to a wider audience in the world. Kudos to all of you, who translate this story. If you are ever in Chicago, let me treat you to "The world's best pizza" and beer or pop.

Quote Originally Posted by genuis8 View Post
    Jean,

Although it may seem repititious, I would like to say "Thank You very much!!!" for the long translation work you began. This is indeed a very interesting work by an author we would not have known, if not for you. Thanks also to Ren Wo Xing and Justin, who took up the cudgels, during your hiatus.

I know that the only pleasure you get is from reading our comments and appreciation. But know this - you have helped introduce chinese storytelling to a wider audience in the world. Kudos to all of you, who translate this story. If you are ever in Chicago, let me treat you to "The world's best pizza" and beer or pop.

Not to forget Yongfiban as well

Quote Originally Posted by kohchun View Post
    Not to forget Yongfiban as well
    huh? what are we talking about?All i did was annoy the hell out of everybody by daily posting and giving false hope while raising the tension level when we entered hiatus for a while!:P

wow its been three years...i can still remember it so clearly, that summer of 07 sitting in my college summer class bored to death when while browsing accidentally came upon this thread...it been a long long ride.....you and justin did surely spoil us a lot, jean!
    Last edited by yongbifan; 05-06-11 at 01:53 PM.
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam to Paul Atreides

Quote Originally Posted by genuis8 View Post
    Jean,

Cheers to all of Jean and the other translators' hard work! This is really a brilliant story and quite a good break from the Jin Yong stuff. If not for this translation, all I would know of ASITP would be the TVB series which apparently rewrote and condensed about 80% of the story!

Also, if you ever come to Chicago and Genius8 is done with treating pizza and pop, we can do hot dog and doughnut run!

Banned
    where dews kiss the first blush of the morning rose

Default Aiyah..........miss updates again

HI Jean, thanks again. I have kept pace with you during the whole process of translation, so thank you for keeping me hanging around for the past five years? I do not know how long, all I know is that whenever I have some time to and need an upper, I will go to this webpage and hope your translation is there. Have kept me company for the many cold winter nights in the office, early morning breakfast and sometimes even on trips alone. For all those good experiences and for sharing I wish I could do more than just say a big thank you. Know that throughtout the years, you have sacrifice a lot of quality time which you could use for your love ones. For all that I, hopefull also all those who follows this forum are forever grateful. The same gratitude is also extended to all you wonderful and generous translators out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    it was started in 2007.... wow, I think I spent almost 3 yrs of my life translating this (minus the long break I took in the middle and others had to kindly step in to help).

And before that was translating legendary siblings.

and in between those translations, some major events in my life... got new job... got new puppy... old dog passed away... got a baby... time really flies
    The amazing thing is, you don't look aged at all!! Hahha..

Yeah, in 3-4 years, a lot happened. I left Handan, settled in Qin, got new pretty wives, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by balikpapan View Post
    The amazing thing is, you don't look aged at all!! Hahha..

Yeah, in 3-4 years, a lot happened. I left Handan, settled in Qin, got new pretty wives, etc.
    haha... how would u know if i look aged if you don't even know what i look like? Unless you've been secretly stalking me? *shudders*

Hello,

I am new to this...and interested on the story
    would you guys tell me how to click the spoiler?
    I cannot click it
    thanks so much for the translation

Quote Originally Posted by dragon21 View Post
    Hello,

I am new to this...and interested on the story
    would you guys tell me how to click the spoiler?
    I cannot click it
    thanks so much for the translation
    after the update there was something wrong with the spoiler function, you can read what's in it by clicking "reply with quote" under that post and it will appear in the reply box