Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Yeah, the crux of the Fabian strategy is that time is on your side. The further the coalition armies get led into Qin, the further their supply chain has to be stretched; It is impossible for them to maintain their army unless they receive assistance from nearby towns. That is why XSL would evacuate the towns in the way. Other armies in history would burn and salt the land, thus the term scorch earth. The weather is also worsening, and the coalition army is probably not prepared for a winter campaign, while the Qins are used to the condition since this is their homeland.

Plus as long as you don't engage the coalition army directly, they can't attain any big victories, and their morale will be affected. They are only working together against Qin for their own benefits, there is no loyalty within the combined armies.

Also of note, I am surprised their wasn't some emotional good bye scene for XSL with his wives before he went off to war. It seems that's all his wives are good for now that he's won them anyways.

new chapter and short update....

Book 20 Chap 6 – Battle of Zuicheng

Huan Qi came about 30 miles out of the city to receive them.

By now, the mounted troops which were originally made up of 10,000 cavalry and 20,000 backups were now left with a little over 20,000 men. From this it can be seen how intensive the battle chase was along the way.

They left the mountainous area and arrived at the wide open plains on the eastern side of Zuicheng where hills surround them on all sides. The Wei River that leads to the Yellow River is about 50 miles north, flowing from the west to the east. Because of the numerous hills, unless one climbs up to a tall spot, one won’t be able to see the grand view of the magnificent river flowing.

From Hangu all the way up north here, it’s a distance of 300 miles.

Xiang Shaolong rode alongside Huan Qi as the army moved towards Zuicheng. The former saw that the defenses were done up very well, at the top of all the high points there were forts made from stones and said with satisfaction, “Xiao Qi is really capable. Just looking at the formation shown here will be enough to cause disappointment to Pang Nuan.”

Huan Qi was overjoyed to be complimented, “Great General is risking your life at the frontline, how can I just hide here and enjoy my luxuries. Now Zuicheng has joined the army that had just retreated and the total force is now about 150,000 and everyone has been resting to conserve their energy. They are very clear Great General has now arrived to help them defend Zuicheng and are aware that you are luring the enemy westward to tire them out before giving them a painful blow, so now they’re all rubbing their hands in anticipation and are willing to lay down their lives for Great General.”

Jing Jun who was behind them had always been very close and open with Huan Qi so he chided jokingly, “So Xiao Qi is so crafty to know how to spread rumors. Luckily these rumors have the effect of boosting morale, otherwise we’ll certainly have you punished under martial law.”

Everyone laughed.

Huan Qi waved at Zhou Liang, who was behind Xiang Shaolong and complimented, “Brother Zhou has made a great contribution this time. Now everyone in camp is addressing you as God of Eagles and once you’re around, no one will have to worry about sneak attacks from the enemy.”

Zhou Liang mouth split open into a wide smile as he caressed Eagle King who was on his shoulder and said some humbling words.

Amidst their jokes and conversation, they crossed the drawbridge over the river surrounding the city and went into the city.

The scene immediately gave Xiang Shaolong and the rest a huge shock.

The soldiers and civilians in the city have all gathered at the sides of the main street as they cheered wildly. It’s as if they have already won the battle and returned in pride but in fact, the actual main battle has not even started.

Three days later, the coalition army’s vanguards arrived at the eastern plains of Zuicheng.

Huan Qi made use of the fact that they were still tired from the long travel and their weakness in their unfamiliarity with the terrain to launch continuous attacks at them day and night, burning their camps and supplies. The coalition army was forced to retreat more than 20 miles before they could stabilize themselves but by then they have lose close to 10,000 men and the impact to their morale was especially great.

Xiang Shaolong and the rest made use of this time to rest and recover their strength, practicing their formation all day at Zuicheng.

From the Mohist military stratagems, Xiang and Teng chose the formation that is most suited for their enclosed situation, the ‘crab formation’, which is to abandon the usual way of concentrating their force in the middle upfront but to use ‘Frontal Troops’, and to concentrate their force on both sides to attack using ‘Secondary Troops’.

Because they are fighting with the city behind them, the ‘Frontal Troops’ can make use of the siege machines and archers situated on the high walls to strengthen their defenses so they’re not worried that the enemy will make a frontal full force attack.

As for the secondary troops on either sides, they will be made up of mainly the best mounted troops and with their thick blades, are most suitable in missions such as this that requires them to use slash and assault tactics.

The enemy came from the west and along the way there are numerous hills so that cumbersome attack vehicles and siege machines will have to be abandoned along the way, reducing the threat to the Qin army. Currently the only factor advantageous to the coalition army is their sheer numbers.

Last edited by Jean; 07-25-11 at 02:05 AM.

Hat trick!!.....Thanks Jean

thank you for the update
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Thanks, Lady Jane.

i wonder if the one name heng qi here is te same person as huan qi the leader of fast response army in justin13 translation???

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsense View Post
    i wonder if the one name heng qi here is te same person as huan qi the leader of fast response army in justin13 translation???
    Heng Qi, Huan Qi, Huan Yi... Are they the same person?

Thanks, Jean!

Oh man, XSL is about lay out such a righteous beatdown that it'll be glorious. (of course, he'll have to reflect on the dead afterwards =(

Thanks again, Lady Jean. Hope there will be a long update today.

So people weren't kidding when they said they were camping in this thread. I waited 5 minutes and they were still here. I wonder who they were since they didn't log in (maybe from shame?).

Thread Information
    There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 6 guests)
    drex44

I don't camp, but I check 5-8 times a day

I've been rereading from the beginning actually so there's no chance of me catching the first post lol. I haven't even tried anyway.

Been following the translations for a while as a visitor and finally decided to register today. I just want to express my thanks to the translators for all of their hard work! Thanks!

On standby????
    lawwoo
    Bonus. A new day.

Just showing my feeling about this "A Step into the Past" story:

" I've been through so many changes in my life, woman
    It's a wonder I ain't lost my mind
    And I ain't never said how much I need you sugar
    But I sure need you by my side

My love, just thinking about you baby
    Just blows my mind
    My love, just thinking about you baby
    Just blows my mind all the time "

short update today... no update for tomorrow coz it's my daughter's bday (time flies!)

PS: Yup my mistake, it should be Huan Qi, not Heng Qi.. have made the amendments.

Now it’s slowing going into autumn and if the coalition army cannot take over Zuicheng before the arrival of the harsh winter, they will be stuck in an icy situation or maybe even lose the whole army. That’s why Xiang Shaolong is not worried that they will set themselves up for a long siege.

So as long as Xiang Shaolong is willing to leave the city to battle, Pang Nuan will only thank the Heaven and hope for a swift battle.

Ten days later, the coalition army moved closer to Zuicheng once again, slowing moving into the wide plains about 50 miles across outside the city of Zuicheng, setting up tents and camps on the side of the mountainous range and using war chariots to for defensive barriers.

Xiang Shaolong gave orders to cease all attacks on the enemy and allow them to stabilize themselves.

But the impending arrival of the great battle is looming over both the enemy and their own men, tightening the nerves of everyone.

Another three days later, all the troops of the coalition army arrived. Xiang Shaolong and the rest stood on top of the city wall and looked over and on the surface, their enemy indeed looked energetic without a trace of fatigue at all.

Huan Qi looked more intently and after a while, said with a smile, “If we talk about the quality and training of the generals and soldiers, other than the Zhao army, the other four states in the coalition army are far below our standard. This time, General Meng kept getting defeated is due to the many years of fighting between them and Pang Nuan has already become very familiar with his fighting tactics. Therefore he can easily use various methods to target his weaknesses and hence gain victory.”

He paused and added, “General Wang Jian once said, looking at all the famed generals of the recent generation, only Bai Qi and Li Mu does not have a set formula in all their battles, nor do they follow any rules so others are unable predict their actions. As for the others, there will always be traces to be found. Now, General Wang should include General Xiang into that list as well.”

Xiang Shaolong chided jokingly, “You’re really getting better at boot-licking.”

Everyone joked and laughed together and the atmosphere relaxed. Teng Yi said, “Although the enemy suffered losses, they still have about 500,000 men left. But I’m not worried about that because all of them still harbor their own intentions and it’s not easy for them to work together. Besides the weather, water and terrain here is not advantageous to southern armies like the Chus. We’ve also blocked their nearby streams with rocks and sand so that it will make lives even more difficult for their tired soldiers. So although they have 500,000 men, we should take into consideration only 200,000 men, which is not far off from our own numbers. However we have solid city walls to protect us and we’re not worried about an extended war. The other party will have to hastily launch attacks to make the best use of time, so it’s needless to point out who will have the better advantage.”

Huan Qi looked far ahead and said, “Messengers are riding towards the left and right from the middle of the enemy camp. Obviously they are going to gather the various leaders to got to the middle army for a discussion. It seems like the enemy is going to launch a full scale attack soon.”

Xiang Shaolong had an idea and said nonchalantly, “In my opinion this is just a show put up for us. If I am Pang Nuan and my troops are really strong and energetic with high morale, I will pretend to look tired and listless to lure us out of the city to attack. Now that they are pretending to show how fierce and active they are, it goes to show that they are actually guilty of being afraid that we’ll attack them instead.”

By this point in time Cheng Jun has already regarded Xiang Shaolong as a general from Heaven and agreed with his comment, “It’s also written in military books, ‘Whether the soldiers and horses appear brave will determine my victory or weakness. If the formation of an army is neat it instead shows that I will not engage in battle’. Great General’s views are indeed wise.”

Huan Qi, Teng Yi and Jing Jun’s expressions all seemed interested.

Jing Jun immediately requested for permission to engage in battle.

Xiang Shaolong was worried that something will happen to him and ordered Huan Qi to back him up.

An hour later, the city gates opened and both of them, each leading 20,000 foot soldiers and cavalry as well as siege machines crossed over the plains and attacked the enemy formation.

Xiang Shaolong and Teng Yi led another force behind, in case they had to cover their retreat.

They fought until dusk, destroying a few enemy camps before coming back to the city.

The next day it was the enemy’s turn to approach for battle but the Qin army refused to come out, their only answer is a rain of arrows and the enemy had no choice but to return.

Thanks Jean even thought it is short we appreciate it

and Happy Birthday to your Daughter!!..I wish her stay happy and healthy always!

Why always crydee one? Thanks Lady Jean.
    lawwoo
    Bonus. A new day.

Third......
    Podium finish HAH

Thanks for your handwork Jean , Happy Birthday to your Daughter!!

Hey Balik, which number are you on
    Last edited by tu22m3f1; 07-25-11 at 04:21 AM.

fourth... Thanks Jean