Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Thanks Jean!

Happy Birthday wishes to Jean Junior!

Have an enjoyable birthday celebration with your family too!

Happy birthday for yr daughter Jean,
    and thank you for the translation

Quote Originally Posted by lawwoo View Post
    Why always crydee one? Thanks Lady Jean.
    Thanks, Lady Jean... Happy Birthday to your daughter. GBU and family.

@Lawwoo: crydee must have parked here all day long.

Smile

thanks so much lady jean..
    not only the story is interesting..
    even the race to go ahead of balikpapan
    happy birthday to "lady jean jr"

Banned
    where dews kiss the first blush of the morning rose

Wink Thanks and happy birthday to your daugther

HI Jean,
    Thanks for the constant update. Happy birthday to your daugther. I have one and I think you will agree with me that girls are sugar and spice and all things nice.

Default good god

its 4 am in the morning... why am i reading this ?

thanks jean, hope you enjoy many more birthdays with your family.
    Ali Derhamy

Jean,

Happy birthday to your daughter, and thanks for the continuing translation!
    This is one of the best wuxia novels I have read, on par with Gu Long's best works.

Default hmmm

just a thought maybe cryde is some one in jeans family ?

Or else "who do you kill that which has no life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu16eUQwCWU

"we are dealing with some here who has no life"

classic lines from south park
    Ali Derhamy

happy birthday to Lady Jean's daughter! And thanks for wonderful updates!

Opps. Got carried away with the read and forgot my manners. Many happy returns to Jean Jr.
    lawwoo
    Bonus. A new day.

Cherry is really a cutie, Jean. I remember seeing her picture in this thread. I can't believe she is 3 yrs old, already.

Well, please say Happy B'day to Cherry, and a big hug and kisses from Uncle Balikpapan.

Last edited by balikpapan; 07-26-11 at 02:16 AM.

Happy birthday to your daughter, Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by balikpapan View Post
    Cherry is really a cutie, Jean. I remember seeing her picture in this thread. I can't believe she is 3 yrs old, already.

Well, please say Happy B'day to Cherry, and a big hug and kisses from Uncle Balikpapan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1703ivFGZIQ&feature=fvst

Just the uncle part seamed relevant

(i was worried this clip might offend people... but when you think of the contents of this noval its not anything new)
    Last edited by aliderhamy; 07-26-11 at 02:26 AM.
    Ali Derhamy

Default “1000 Battle Click Stance”

HAHAHA….I can smell the stench of jealousy
    It seems I am the Number 1 Martial Artist in SITP Wuling World.
    My “1000 Battle Click Stance” has won me many 1st Post battles.

Quote Originally Posted by crydee View Post
    HAHAHA….I can smell the stench of jealousy
    It seems I am the Number 1 Martial Artist in SITP Wuling World.
    My “1000 Battle Click Stance” has won me many 1st Post battles.

Just wait. I need only 1 click.
    lawwoo
    Bonus. A new day.

Thanks for all your well wishes for my girl. In case anyone is curious, here's a short clip of her kissing her bday cake. Just add another few decades to her face and you can imagine what I look like since they all say she looks like me. lol

http://youtu.be/DlXuo9-tHi4

ok and now, let the race begin!

After three days of such tussles with both sides having casualties, on the fourth morning the coalition army finally lost their patience. Using their newly built siege vehicles, battering rams etc they launched a wide scale attack on the city.

Xiang Shaolong insisted on not moving and waited until the enemy is exhausted and retreating before launching his full force and setting up the prearranged formation outside the city.

Although the coalition army was unwilling to face this battle, they also did not want to miss the opportunity of fighting. Even more so they were afraid of being flushed by the Qin army so they sent all their troops to set up formation on the other side of the plains as well.

Xiang Shaolong and Teng Yi went up a small hill near the middle of the army to survey the enemy’s military formation.

By then the sun has risen high up in the sky and the sun’s bright rays reflected off the armors and weapons on men on both sides. The glittering lights filled the plains on both sides, filled with the tense atmosphere of an impending battle.

The coalition army’s numbers are visibly lesser, only about 400,000 men split into five main formations.

The main force is concentrated in the middle, with foot soldiers forming the main bulk. In front of them are the chariots, behind them the cavalry, forming a front, middle, back formation.

On the left and right sides were swift cavalry.

The foot soldiers in the middle were further separated into nine small groups according to army type. The three at the foremost were the shield soldiers and light infantry while the other six groups were the main attack force consisting of the heavy armored infantry with about 20,000 men in each group holding defense equipment or weapons for long distance attacks like crossbows, spears, swords, shields, barricades, halberds etc. The space each group takes up and the distance between them fits the rule of military formations and they’re definitely not a motley crew.

Teng Yi sighed, “It may be Third Brother’s first attempt at leading an army but every time you predict things so accurately. Just like right now we’re avoiding the enemy’s main force in the middle and splitting our heavy infantry on the two sides, that’s indeed a very wise move. Now even if Pang Nuan knows that something is wrong, it’ll be difficult for him to change his formation. Besides he doesn’t even know that all of our cavalry carries a thick blade that’s at least half as formidable as Hundred Battles Blade which will guarantee to place our sword wielding enemy at a great disadvantage.”

The battle drums of the enemy suddenly rung out and the almost 3,000 chariots gathered at the front gave a shout and started advancing with the infantry coming right behind them.

It seems that Eagle King, which was perched on Zhou Liang’s shoulder, could feel the deadly battle atmosphere in the air and started flapping its wings and gave a low squawk.

Xiang Shaolong gave orders to stay put and the battle drums sounded immediately while the signal soldiers informed Huan Qi and Jing Jun who were on both ends using signal flags.

Just as they were about to approach shooting distance, the first two rows of the 3,000 chariots which was split into six rows suddenly increased speed and rushed forward.

Every chariot, other than the driver and some vehicle personnel, there were also a team of vehicle infantry soldiers, each having their own duties,

The driver will control the vehicle, the vehicle personnel were given weapons like bows, crossbows, spears and halberds. Bows and crossbows will be used while they are still a distance away and spears and halberds will be used in close distance battles. The vehicle infantry will follow the chariots and work closely with the chariot to cover each other in defense and attack to magnify their fatality and defense.

The chariot’s driver and vehicle personnel need not walk so they are attired with heavy armor and are not worried about arrows. With the war horses charging, they can really ride roughshod over the battlefield. If they are allowed to break into the formation, the defending troops can forget about maintaining their formations again and if the enemy continues with another wave of attack, they will certainly be doomed.

For a moment shouts and drums were heard on both sides as arrows flew and battle cries filled the air.

The enemy’s cavalry on both two sides each sent out about 10,000 men to provide cover for the two sides of the centre attack force.

It’s finally the start of the great battle.

Xiang Shaolong waited until the enemy is within shooting distance before ordering the siege engines at the top of the city to be fired.

Huge rocks rained down on the approaching enemy chariots from time to time.

Even as the vehicles overturned and the people fell, there were still close to a hundred chariots still making their way forward.

Xiang Shaolong gave an order and the Qin soldiers at the front line fell back like receding waves, revealing the countless ditches behind which was dug to make the horses fall. The enemy never expected the Qin army to have such a trick and immediately the chariots overturned and the people fell off, giving the Qins the opportunity to finish them off.

Arrows rained down from above the city walls and the foot soldiers who have lost the protection of the chariots all fell to the ground. The scene was so horrible that Xiang Shaolong could not bear watching it but there was nothing he could do.

In war, it’s death for either you or me. There’s no place for compassion at all.

Thank you Lady Jane. Just 1 extra click.
    lawwoo
    Bonus. A new day.

2nd ... wow feeling so serene
    Ladies and Gentleman , I take my bow

Thank you Jean
    Last edited by tu22m3f1; 07-27-11 at 03:22 AM.

3rd!!!!!

Thanks Jean. Oh your daughter is so adorable!