Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Yahoo... Jean is backkk!!!

I reserve my comment on the story for later. Thank you, Lady Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by crydee View Post
    Thanks Jean! ....This is a start of a new Chapter more wars! and politics!...hahahaha
    And its great getting first post ........................again.
    CONGRATS.... crybaby :P

Thank You Jean

getting really bz recently so can only afford short updates...

Lord Changping suggested, “Why don’t we go and look for Li Si to discuss this?”

Xiang Shaolong shook his head and took his leave to go to the Cavalry Official Department.

After Teng Yi and Jing Jun heard his updates, Teng Yi said, “His Highness is right, there is no place for personal feelings on the battlefield. Because it’s not a problem involving only two people, but it involves the lives of thousands of soldiers and their wives and children, as well as the fate and pride of a country.”

Xiang Shaolong was startled, “I really didn’t spare that much thought to it.”

Teng Yi was silent for a moment before saying in all seriousness, “I do have a suggestion, which is to immediately select a troop of elite soldiers and gather them at the farm to give them intense training like what we did with our elite warriors. Our family warriors like Jing Shan, Wu Yan etc will be the military leaders and each leader will have 5,000 men under him. In that way, we can mobilize them as easily as moving our arms and we will be able to strike most effectively in battle.”

Xiang Shaolong was energized as he remembered the training methods for the elite troops in the 21st century and happily agreed.

For the next 10 days, Xiang Shaolong and Teng Yi stayed in the Cavalry Official Department in the capital to personally select 45,000 men from the reinforcement troops, cavalry, city guards and imperial guards. They were split into 9 sections with Jing Shan and the 18 Warriors as the Officers and Deputy Officers and 2 sections will form an army. Jing Jun, Wu Guo and Zhao Da will be the Commanders of the 3 armies while he will personally lead the remaining 2,000 Wu family elite warriors as the Grand Commander with Teng Yi as his deputy. Naturally Zhou Liang will become the leader of the scouting team.

Most of the people were with Xiang Shaolong in his two previous battles and once they heard that he is leading the army, their morale were greatly boosted and they were willing to lay down their lives for this mission.

Lu Buwei and Lao Ai were surprisingly cooperative because naturally they were hoping that he would go earlier and die faster so he can never return to Xianyang again.

Therefore Xiang Shaolong sought Xiao Pan’s permission to move the entire army to the farm and making use of the various facilities, trained the soldiers day and night, hoping to make use of these 3 bitter winter months before spring arrives to cultivate another massive army of elite soldiers.

On this day, because of the heavy snow, the soldiers were all staying in the farm. Xiang Shaolong was having dinner with his wives and son when Learned Lady Ji commented, “Ultimately, warfare is about the art of trickery. Therefore the best leader will first strategize to hinder the enemy’s plans, next will be the battle on the field and finally to besiege a walled city. So we must pretend to be unable to attack even if we can, and make the enemy believe that we are far away when we are not*. Sun Tzu even openly said that nothing is too deceitful in war. Now Yanran has seen how dear husband is training the troops and indeed your methods are refreshing and startling. Especially they way you hide how the battle is fought, nothing on earth can indeed compare to it. But I wonder if dear husband have thought of a strategy to defeat the enemy.”

* From Sun Tzu’s Art of War

At least.. My turn.. ^^ thanks alot Lady Jean...

Default thanks for this

Quote Originally Posted by didilung View Post
    At least.. My turn.. ^^ thanks alot Lady Jean...
    Ohh yerh... to cool for school
    Ali Derhamy

I resign to the fact that my getting the podium finish is a pipedream as of now,, sighhhh.

Thanks a bunch Lady Jean.

Well..... you're third, so it IS a podium finish

Thanks Jean

thanks Jean

Thanks Jean
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ...when Learned Lady Ji commented, “...But I wonder if dear husband have thought of a strategy to defeat the enemy.”
    to continue:
    Xiang Shaolong stayed quite for a while, and stared at Ji Yanran with his menacing eyes. He gave a long deep sigh, before replying to her," Yanran, maybe I should say this a long time a go. I'm sorry, but... why don't you just stay in the kitchen!!".

Hehehee...

PS: Thanks, Jean. Any update, long or short, is really appreciated.

a short update means a drop of water...... thanks a lot Jean...

really quite hooked on this series, anyone have the link to where i can read the novel online(chinese)? i remember someone posting the link before, but i cant find it now lol.

many thanks to the translators for their effort too!

check this link:
    http://www.shuku.net:8080/novels/hua...nqinji000.html

Maxellsg. it seems you can read Chinese and write English... why don't read it then post it ..

check this link:

Maxellsg, it seems you can read Chinese and write English............ read it and write it in this thread will be welcome...

check this link:

Maxellsg, it seems you can read Chinese and write English............ read it and write it in this thread will be welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxellsg View Post
    really quite hooked on this series, anyone have the link to where i can read the novel online(chinese)? i remember someone posting the link before, but i cant find it now lol.

many thanks to the translators for their effort too!

Here is all Huang Yi books in Chinese..Pls feel free to contribute the translations as well...(I wish )...http://www.shuku.net/novels/huang/huang.html

update!!

Qin Qing added gently and affectionately, “Yanran’s questions are not pointless, Pu Hu’s influence is very strong at the eastern commandery and he has made many repairs and modifications to Tunliu before. The city walls are high and the rivers wide. Now he won’t be afraid of us attacking him because he’ll be able to wait it out and counter out active attacks with passiveness. Now even Wang Ling and Huan Qi, who are well versed in the art of war and had the command of Great Qin’s elite soldiers ended up being defeated and had to retreat so it goes to show that Pu Hu is not someone like Zhao Gua and there won’t be a loss like that of Changping. On top of that, Li Mu is eyeing us from the sideline. Shaolong you must not just use brute force.”

On hearing this, Xiang Shaolong can feel himself sweating. The battle strategy this time will have to attack a strong and walled city and at the same time deal with Li Mu’s sudden attacks. It’s wishful thinking if one thinks that one can win using the normal rules of engagement. The biggest problem now is that Huan Qi is now leading a newly defeated army and he himself does not have enough troops and it’s impossible to split up and handle two different battles at the same time. Besides, Pu Hu has always been unfathomable and Li Mu is an extremely experienced talent in mobilizing troops. The outcome of this battle can almost be known without even fighting it.

Wu Tingfang suggested a plan, “Can we send someone to infiltrate inside the city of Tunliu first?”

Ji Yanran replied, “How would the enemy not be on alert against such a trick. Besides Tunliu belonged to the Zhaos and it’ll be even more difficult for the Qins to infiltrate.”

Xiang Shaolong searched his brains for memories of examples besieging cities from the last thousand years since ‘ancient time’ to now. He almost fried his brains thinking and couldn’t think of any brilliant plan at that moment so he gave up.

After dinner, Xiang Shaolong lied down on the mat with his head resting on Wu Tingfang’s soft thighs and started thinking again.

Ji Yanran and the rest dare not disturb his train of thought and accompanied him quietly by the side.

The Tian sisters accompanied Xiang Bao’er back to bed.

The fireplaces in the four corners were all burning so they do not feel the cold frost outside at all.

Xiang Shaolong thought of the Mohist Addendum, which stated these words ‘the way to attack a city is to surround it on four sides but to leave a corner open to indicate an escape route to lure the enemy into breaking out’. But obviously this is not suited to be used at Tunliu City. Because with Li Mu at the side, he is in no way able to block the entire city.

Basically, it takes only four steps to attack a city, namely to cross the river, attack the city gates and walls, climb over the walls and lastly the battle in the streets and alleys.

But as their enemy has the protection of a moat and they are at a higher location, which is advantageous to them and on top of that, they can easily switch from a defensive position to an offensive one at any time and suddenly launch an attack. So if they follow the normal rules of engagement, their losses will be momentous. If he is Li Mu, he will make use of the time when the Qin army is exhausted to lead an attack. By then, if his army is not wiped out, he’ll have to thank Heavens for it.

So how can he change this situation where they can only act in response?

Too bad Pu Hu does not like wooden horse, otherwise he can re-enact what happened in the west during the Trojan War.

Yay ... another translation ... thanks Jean ...

Aha...got 1t....