Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Hi Justin13,

The online version can be found in several places, one mirror is at:

http://www.tianyabook.com/hyzpj/hyzp...ngyi/xunqinji/

Another at:

http://www.millionbook.net/wx/h/huangyi/xqj/

Hi Justin13,

Welcome back. We "lost" for quite for long while. Looking forward to your contributions.

Good to have you back Justin! It's been too long.

Thanks guys... glad to be remembered. Give me a bit of time to catch up on the story and get the flow. Wishing all a great weekend.

It's so great to have you back, Justin

the man is BACK!!!
    welcome back, Justin...... glad to c u

Hi Justin13,

Do you need a local copy of the entire story? It can be easier when Internet connection are not available or reliable. I can download locally+mirror the *.html files and archive it for you to use on a tablet, e-reader, computer, or a smartphone. The entire book is about 3.7MB uncompressed, or 1MB compressed. There is just about 53 short chapters to go out of a total of 292...

Glad you are back Justin and I hope you had a wonderful Weekends!

btw do you like Justin Bieber song? I am wondering should I dedicate one to you..hahaha

I just want to pop in to say thank you to all translators for allowing me to read this story for 5 days straight

sure thanks. my email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Justin13 View Post
    sure thanks. my email: [email protected]
    Hi Justin,

Please check your yahoo email box, I've sent both, the HTML edition & the CHM edition for you to look at locally on your Laptop, Tablet or Smartphone. HTML is more portable but CHM is easier to browse on a Laptop. Take care....

Quote Originally Posted by szfong View Post
    Hi Justin,

Please check your yahoo email box, I've sent both, the HTML edition & the CHM edition for you to look at locally on your Laptop, Tablet or Smartphone. HTML is more portable but CHM is easier to browse on a Laptop. Take care....
    Yeap I got it. Thanks. Watch this space tomorrow!

I am watching ...

same here... almost everyday dropping by

keep watching everyday... now everyhour.... who's going to be the first????

Default Book 21, Chapter 8 - end

Xiang Shaolong approached Zhang Quan and saluted him. However, Zhang Quan was indifferent and did not even spare a glance at him. He stood there, enjoying the winter breeze.

Xiang Shaolong was amused. Zhang Quan’s arrogance is undeniable and this arrogant behavior has been picked up by his followers as well.

From his conversation with Fang Sheng, he has acquired a general understanding of the Song and Dance Troup.

The top hierarchy naturally goes to the Head of the Three Courtesans, Feng Fei.

The next in authority would be twelve other courtesans who are Feng Fei’s regular singing and dancing companions. All twelve ladies are number one rated beauties. Among the twelve courtesans, Dong Shuzen, who is also known as Second Mistress, helms the group.

Dong Shuzen is able to stand out from the other courtesans because she is the only other courtesan other than Feng Fei who is able to write songs and compose lyrics.

Troupe Manager Zhang Quan and Assistant Manager Sa Li are leaders too in their own capacity. They are responsible for all affairs pertaining to the Troupe. In addition, Sa Li does recruitment for chariot drivers, food supplies and kitchen helpers. In this instance when Zhang Quan personally recruited Feng Fei’s chariot driver, he is opening overriding Sa Li’s authority and starting a power tussle between them.

Below the courtesans are the talented musicians and serving maids. Due to their proximity to Feng Fei and the twelve courtesans, they do not hold any appointments but wield considerable authority.

The musicians are lead by Conductor Yun Liang, who is a retired courtesan. She conducts training for new courtesans and is held in the highest regard by Feng Fei. Therefore, no one dares to make trouble for her.

Among the serving maids, Feng Fei’s personal maid Little Ping’er and Dong Shuzen’s personal maid Sister Ling wield the most influence. Xiang Shaolong has met Little Ping’er in Xianyang and the pretty maid he met earlier on the ship is Sister Ling. Due to their mistresses positions, even Manger Zhang Quan has to give in to the wishes of the two maids.

Since the establishment of the Zhou Clan(?自周室立邦后), music and entertainment are highly regarded, leading to a thriving industry for Song and Dance Troupes such as these. These troupes often tour the different States and even have annual performances. They are wildly popular and welcomed wherever they travel. For Superstar Troupes such as Feng Fei’s, they are treated with the same pleasantries that Lords and Marquises are expected to receive. These dance troupes remain neutral politically and are not affected by the State wars.

After keeping Xiang Shaolong painfully waiting for an extended period, Zhang Quan questioned: “I heard Gu Ming and his guys gave you trouble on several occasions, is it true?”

Not knowing his true intentions, Xiang Shaolong replied: “They are truly not the friendliest people around but I can still take their cr@p.”

Zhang Quan turned around in one swift motion and dissed: “I thought you were a martial arts expert? These kind of trouble should be familiar to you. You were kicked in the butt and yet did not retaliate; what kind of hero are you?”

His two bodyguards and Kun Shan, who was standing behind him began to snigger in agreement and to flatter their boss.

Perplexed, Xiang Shaolong explained: “I am concerned that I should not create trouble since I am a newcomer. It may look bad on Master Zhang (Quan) too. If Master Zhang thinks that it is fine to retaliate, I will know how to act the next time.”

In fact, only Xiang Shaolong knows about his personal dilemma. When things go out of proportion, he may get the attention of Feng Fei and be identified, blowing his cover. However, it will be really ideal if Sa Li can give him the sack instead when he causes trouble and he can leave the troupe at the next landing.

Despite Dan Meimei’s opinion that Feng Fei admires Xiang Shaolong, the human heart is difficult to fathom and no one can indeed tell for sure.

He has finally escaped countless struggles, hardships and his pursuers. There is no way he will risk returning back to his fugitive lifestyle.

Hearing his words, Zhang Quan calmed down.

On his left, the tall bodyguard hinted: “Master Zhang (Quan) considers you worthy and has given you such a good position. You must prove yourself and not make him lose face.”

Since he came to ancient China and began his journey initially with Tao Fang, Xiang Shaolong has spent every day in a power tussle. Understanding the hint, he secretly acknowledged Zhang Quan’s prowess. This is a brilliant plan to reap rewards without sowing.

His employment is done on purpose, inciting anger from Assistant Manager Sa Li’s clique. When things go out of hand, Zhang Quan can report to the courtesans that Sa Li is discriminating against newcomers. He can use the opportunity to reprimand Sa Li and magnify his faults.

Sa Li is on the other ship and has no chance to defend himself. This is definitely an invincible blow to Sa Li.

With just a small effort, he can reduce Sa Li’s influence and send a message to all the other troupe workers that Zhang Quan is the most capable around.

It is a amazing that such a simple employment is mired in a much larger conspiracy, the power grabbing tactics in the Song and Dance Troupe.

The lifespan of a Song and Dance Troupe is limited. When Feng Fei decides to retire or get married, the troupe will have to disband. On the good side, there are generous retrenchment benefits to all the workers when a troupe disbands. According to Fang Sheng, that is his biggest dream: working till disbandment to receive a windfall.

Behind him, Kun Shan interrupted: “Even if someone is killed, as long as you are not the one who started the fight, Master Zhang (Quan) will stand up for you, understand?”

Speechless, Xiang Shaolong nodded his head with resignation.

Zhang Quan’s voice became more accommodating and swore: “As long as you are loyal to me, I, Zhang Quan, will not treat you shabbily. Look at your skinny frame and yellow skin. I am sure you have had your fair share of trouble over the past two years. Just do your best! Since you have served Wei Wuji (Prince Xinling) before, you should understand my intentions.”

Xiang Shaolong suddenly realized that his appearance has drastically changed since he has been on the run. Besides his new beard, he has slimmed down a lot. Even if he came face to face with Feng Fei or Little Ping’er once again, they could hardly identify him.

During their initial meeting at the loft (Drunken Wind Brothel), the lights are dim and most of their time is spent sitting down and chatting. Given the present circumstances and his new look, it is highly possible to evade their recognition.

With this new thought, he felt his happiness surging.

After Zhang Quan left him, Xiang Shaolong returned to the second deck holding but discovered that Fang Sheng is no longer around. He headed towards the ship’s hull to look for him and chanced upon the ship’s cabins. He entered a narrow corridor along the cabin doors when someone blocked his way and scolded: “Didn’t Manager Zhang tell you about the rules? Workers are not allowed to come to the hull. If you frighten the ladies, you will be in for a good time.”

Xiang Shaolong had a shock and looked further ahead. He saw a poutish and yet cute serving maid, staring him down with her large almond-shaped eyes. Her fierce stare and her arms akimbo reminded him of a tigress.

Xiang Shaolong hurriedly apologized and turned back. He retreated back to the ship’s lower bunk and fell into a deep sleep.

He woke up to music playing from the upper decks. It must be Feng Fei and the courtesans rehearsing their performances.

The afternoon sun shone in through a small cabin window. He was alone in the bunk.

Xiang Shaolong sat upright with his blanket still snug around him. Leaning against the ship’s wall, he was thinking about the lunch service he had missed when Fang Sheng came into the bunk with a bowl of rice that was piled high with green vegetables. Offering him the bowl, he added: “I can tell that you are sleeping very soundly and do not wish to interrupt your sleep. So I prepare a bowl for you especially.”

Touched, Xiang Shaolong ate two mouthfuls before enquiring: “Does Brother Fang (Sheng) have any relatives?”

Fang Sheng sat down beside him and was quiet for a few seconds. He then simply announced: “They were all killed in battle!”

From his tone, Xiang Shaolong immediately knew things were much more complicated that what he was sharing.

Fang Sheng has a fine bearing and behaves with a certain class. He could well be the son of a nobleman. When the country is devastated, he was forced to flee for his life and ended up joining Feng Fei’s Song and Dance Troupe as a chef.

Fang Sheng continued: “I have no other ambitions. I just want to make some money, find a quiet place to build a house, buy some fields and become a farmer. I will never want to face these crooks ever again.”

Xiang Shaolong observed his haggard features and estimated his age to be about the same as his own. However, they bore scars of numerous toils and hardships. In a sudden burst of sympathy, he nearly wanted to present his two gold ingots as a present to Fang Sheng, fulfilling his dream. He quickly suppressed this unwise thought before turning his attention back to his meal.

Fang Sheng suggested: “At sunset, the ship will dock at Gu City and will raise anchor only tomorrow. Why don’t we enter the city and find some chicks to entertain ourselves? If Brother Shen (Xiang Shaolong) is broke, I can always lend you the money first.”

Xiang Shaolong was taken aback: “I thought you are saving for your house and your farmland?”

Fang Sheng reasoned: “Some money is meant to be saved, some money is meant to be spent. Lowly beings like us must also find joy in life. We are unlike Zhang Quan and other rich men who can go for top courtesans. We must remember to avoid Gu Ming and his gang. I noticed him whispering to his family warriors earlier and overheard your name. They may find trouble with you.”

Infuriated, Xiang Shaolong gave a cold snort and maintained his silence. He secretly swore to teach them a lesson they will never forget. Otherwise, he will always be at their mercy.

He checked himself for having such foolish thoughts.

If he do not use this golden opportunity to make good his escape, he will be a really big idiot.
    Last edited by Justin13; 06-04-13 at 06:36 AM.

whahaha...First!!

Thanks Justin!

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, is this a new chapter?

It's the return of Justin!

Default The water that quenches a parched throat....

Thank you so much Justin and also Ren.....
    Last edited by Clown Prince; 06-04-13 at 02:05 PM.

awesome..and so it begins once more
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam to Paul Atreides