Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms and decided to drop by to reread some passages. This early present is just too awesome! Thanks Justin! You really are spoiling everyone here.

omg thx for the new update ^ ^

thanks Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin13 View Post
    eh.... Monday came early?

No more 'Monday' blues for me...Thanks!

Yay Yay. Justin Hooray!

Watching the Song & Dance Troupe rehearsal, Xiang Shaolong finally understood how Poetry, Singing and Music can be amalgamated into one body. In the past, either he did not pay much attention to these performances or he only stare at the beautiful main character. In this moment, he can feel himself immersing into the presentation and can fully appreciate every component of it.

By itself, the 30 odd member orchestra led by Yun Niang is show-worthy.

Yun Niang plays a set of 8 hanging bells, representing the 8 ancient and original tones (Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do). Ranging from big bells to small bells, they took up one-fifth of the space in the hall. She strikes the bells in a graceful posture, mesmerizing the audience with her nimble stances and dance steps. It is no wonder why she is highly respected by Feng Fei.

Xiang Shaolong assumed that Yun Niang is aware of Feng Fei’s plans to disband the Song & Dance Troupe. Thus, she is using every opportunity to get close to Xiao Yuetan, hoping to marry him after the disbandment. As one grows older, one becomes more practical. If he was in her shoes, he too would choose the ‘successful’ Xiao Yuetan and not the ‘pathetic’ Shen Liang.

The hall is full of ancient instruments like the stone clappers, metal cymbals, pipes, lutes, bronze drums, chimes and harps, providing well-matched melodies. The music is soothing, gentle and pleasing to the ears.

Xinyue, Zhu Xiuzhen and the other courtesans are dancing to the music.

Feng Fei and Dong Shuzen are standing at a side, analyzing the dance. From time to time, they will lean towards each other and exchange feedback. From their body language, it is impossible to tell that they are secretly opposing each other.

The serving maids are tasked to assist the courtesans in changing clothes and serving refreshments. It was a busy and lively scene.

On this occasion, Feng Fei did not invite Xiao Yuetan along. As a result, Xiang Shaolong is sitting at a side, watching the rehearsal all by himself.

Fortunately, he can feast his eyes on the gorgeous courtesans. He kept himself busy checking them out.

On several counts, Xinyue flutter her eyelashes at him, giving him a sense of warmth, making him feel less lonely.

Zhu Xiuzhen appears to be as angry with him as before. She gave him a fierce stare and no longer pays any attention to him.

Out of a sudden, an icy voice sounded out beside him: “Who are you staring at?”

Xiang Shaolong turned in head in astonishment. It is Little Ping’er dressed up as a boy, looking at him with a hostile expression. He was momentarily shaken before he spluttered out: “I am watching the rehearsal!”

Little Ping’er whined: “I think you are looking at Mistress (Xinyue) instead.”

‘None of your business’, Xiang Shaolong was scolding inside. On the outside, he swallowed his pride and inquired: “Doesn’t Sister Ping think the rehearsal is fantastic?”

Little Ping’er stomped her feet: “You are paying so much attention to her and must be lusting for her.”

Xiang Shaolong can detect the overpowering jealousy in her words and since he feels no affections for her, he is beginning to feel annoyed. He intentionally rebuffed: “It is common for men to be drawn to attractive women. When Miss Xinyue performs in front of a large audience, is Sister Ping going to scold the few hundred spectators?”

Her face reddening on the spot, Little Ping’er marched away in anger. Xiang Shaolong can instantly feel a burden released from his shoulder. This lass is willful, easily jealous, stubborn and demanding. It is best not to get involved with her.

Feng Fei waved him over and enquired: “What does Manager Shen think about this new routine?”

Dong Shuzen’s gaze fell upon his face, scanning him with full attention. Despite knowing that this is a loose woman whom he can easily sleep with, the fact that he has heard her moaning before, coupled with their close proximity now where he can have a delightful view of her huge breasts and slender waist, Xiang Shaolong is transfixed. He dryly coughed: “I am inexperienced when it comes to music but I must say that the melodies are a treat to my ears. Yun Niang’s playing of the bells is clear and precise, akin to a Commanding General leading his huge army to war.”

Dong Shuzen chided: “Manager Shen is too modest. Your simple words have explained the essence of the orchestra. The ringing of the bells has all along been essential to managing the timing as well as the sound effects of the orchestra. The bells marked both the starting and ending of every song, and can be played as a solo or as an accompanying instrument to the zither, lute, pipe or flute. The bells are the most versatile and they affect the mood of the song.”

Facing her enticements, Xiang Shaolong knows that she is faking them but is nonetheless surprised by her enlightenment. He pretended to listen intensively to her words.

Taking in the intoxicating fragrances of the two ladies, Xiang Shaolong visualize himself as the only male species in a country of women. Sailing up the long river on this giant ancient ship in winter, he felt like he is on top of the world.

In an remarkably tender voice, Feng Fei shared: “Content arises from poems, movements arises from dancing, sounds arises from singing. When these three become one body, it will become a special birthday present for the King of Qi. It is named: The Immortal Phoenix Arising. Unfortunately, I encountered some difficulties in the main song. Hopefully, I can resolve it by the time of the banquet. Otherwise, it will be a huge disappointment.”

A strange look flashed by Dong Shuzen’s face. Although curious, Xiang Shaolong cannot guess what is on her mind.

Xiang Shaolong turned his attention to Xinyue and the dancing courtesans. He casually asked: “Is there a different dance movement for every song, portraying a different setting? And lastly, will the main song come in to bring the audiences to a climax, bringing closure to the story?”

The curvy bodies Feng Fei and Dong Shuzen uncontrollably trembled. Their pretty almond-shaped eyes looked at each other in wonder for some time before they both stared at him.

Xiang Shaolong can sense that something is not right. Witnessing their amazement, he awkwardly apologized: “Your servant (polite way of saying I) is spouting nonsense. Both Mistresses, kindly do not take offence.”

The two ladies remained silent.

Now it was Xiang Shaolong’s turn to shudder. He found out the reason for their reaction.

To a 21st century person, it is common to express a story through a musical. There is nothing new or surprising.

However, during the period of the Warring States, music is traditionally linked to its origin: Used as part of prayers to the Creator. Music itself has no ‘storyline’ until the later dynasties of Song and Yuan.

In the eyes of Feng Fei, his words are a groundbreaking revelation.

Her alluring breasts still quivering, Feng Fei finally exhaled: “Ai! Shen Liang, this is a very novel perspective of things. You are indeed a very special person.”

Dong Shuzen quipped: “This idea is not only unique but superbly refreshing. Mistress should consider it.”

Feng Fei’s pair of glimmering, soul-hooking eyes rested on Xiang Shaolong’s face for some time before she decided: “Shuzen, please give some thought to it as well. I am going back to my room to take a rest.”

Finishing, she took her leave without giving Xiang Shaolong a second glance. Dong Shuzen came closer to Xiang Shaolong until her pert bosom nearly came in contact with his hand. She revealed: “No one has ever cause Feng Fei such agitation. Shen Liang, you are the first.” Embarrassed, Xiang Shaolong uttered: “Second Mistress must be making fun of me.”

Her lovely face blossoming like a flower, Dong Shuzen tiptoed and whispered into his ears: “My heart beats for you too.” Finishing, she even lightly blew a mouthful of air into his ears.

Xiang Shaolong is fully aware that she is trying to seduce himself to achieve her dark, unspoken goal. Nonetheless, he felt like touching her in return. Hurriedly suppressing his temptation, he rejected: “Second Mistress, please don’t. It doesn’t sound right.”

Dong Shuzen gave him a coquettish smile and shifted slightly away. She batted her eyes at him: “You can come to my room whenever you are free. There will just be the two of us and we can enjoy each other’s company in full privacy.”

Xiang Shaolong thought: Wouldn’t that be sending the lamb into the tiger’s den? Getting himself ensnared in her beauty trap?

He answered: “Your servant dare not. Mistress (Feng Fei) will be offended.”

Dong Shuzen sweetly smiled: “Your fists are so hard and yet your guts are so little. Mistress (Feng Fei) will not bother with my business. Oh! Unless you are pining for Mistress (Feng Fei)?”

Xiang Shaolong was stunned: “Second Mistress must be joking. Your servant is just a lowly manager. I dare not dream of being the toad lusting after the Swan’s flesh.”

Dong Shuzen’s body wobbled: “Toad lusting after the Swan’s flesh. How in the world did you think of such proverbs?”

Xiang Shaolong realized that this proverb is not invented yet. He uneasily responded: “It is just me spouting gibberish as usual.”

Dong Shuzen took a closer look at him as if this is the first time she is seeing him. After some time, she questioned: “Every time you say something, you will disclose some thought-provoking ideas. You are such a talent and it is a pity if you are under-utilized. Shen Liang, have you ever thought about your plans for the future?”

Right now, the music has stopped playing. The courtesans are giggling among themselves, awaiting further instructions from Dong Shuzen.

Only Xinyue is alone at a side, jealously eyeing the intimate conversations between the two of them.

Little Ping’er is nowhere to be seen.

Xiang Shaolong professed: “I am completely satisfied with my position now as General Manager. Ah! They (the courtesans) are waiting for Second Mistress’s guidance.”

Dong Shuzen divulged: “Let me tell you a secret. The Song & Dance Troupe will disband soon. Everyone who knows about it has been keeping a lookout for other prospects. For myself, I am greatly troubled, as I do not wish to end up as someone’s concubine or mistress. Shen Liang, if you have any plans, please come and talk to me about them.” She stretched out her hand, pinching his arm and softly beamed: “You are really muscular.”

She then smilingly went over to the courtesans.

Xiang Shaolong dared not look at Xinyue’s expression and quickly slipped away.

On his way back to his cabin, this is the first time he sympathizes with Dong Shuzen.

She has dedicated her entire life to singing and dancing. She obviously does not wish to lose her career as such a young age. Moreover, it is the only admirable career a woman can have in this ancient period.

To a certain extent, Feng Fei is awfully selfish and only makes plans for herself. It will be even more unforgivable if Feng Fei is using him as a scapegoat, a diversion, as propagated by Zhang Quan.

If there is a way to allow Dong Shuzen to become Feng Fei’s successor, giving Feng Fei a hassle-free retirement, that will be a happy ending for both parties. It is a difficult proposition, though not entirely impossible. The issue lies with Feng Fei.

Back in his room, Xiao Yuetan has just completed his new dye and is working on Xiang Shaolong’s disguise. When Xiang Shaolong told him about Little Ping’er noticing the changes in his (Xiang Shaolong) appearance, the latter laughed: “I guarantee that nobody can see through your disguise once my work is completed. Our biggest advantage is your weight loss, causing the shape of your eyes to be different from before. You must watch your diet and don’t gain too much weight.”

Xiang Shaolong groaned: “I have been restricting myself already. Now that Little Ping has expressed interest in me and Dong Shuzen is trying her best to seduce me, I can feel my head aching. What should I do?”

Xiao Yuetan jested: “Xiang Shaolong is Xiang Shaolong. Even Talented Lady Ji has fallen for you; it is no surprise that other girls will do the same. Hey! Let me show you something.”

Xiang Shaolong shifted his gaze to the object on his open palm. It resembles a fruit seed, extremely hard and about the size of a thumb. Piqued, he questioned: “What is it?”

Xiao Yuetan rationalized: “It does not matter what it is. What it is used for is more critical. When you put it under your tongue, it will change the tone of your voice, making you sound vastly different from Xiang Shaolong.”

Xiang Shaolong frowned: “But if Feng Fei and the others hear my new voice, wouldn’t it raise any red flags?”

Xiao Yuetan assured: “Your status is not the same as before. When Feng Fei is speaking to outsiders, do you think you have the right to be present? And even if you happen to be around, you do not have the right to interrupt or give your opinion. When you are meeting with someone familiar, all you have to do is to pop this into your mouth and evade identification.”

After experiencing Xiao Yuetan’s bag of tricks, Xiang Shaolong is no longer surprised by the ridiculous stuff he comes up with. He picked up the seed and placed it under his tongue as instructed by Xiao Yuetan. With further supervision by the Master of Disguise, he is re-learning how to talk as if he is a toddler. True enough, the tone of his voice is now very different from before.

As Xiao Yuetan is laughing at Xiang Shaolong’s antics, the sound of knocking is heard. He swiftly went to open the door.

Xiang Shaolong saw Xiao Yuetan being yanked out of the room and was in a state of perplexity when Xiao Yuetan reentered the room and whispered: “I am going over to Yun Niang’s room tonight to have a good time. If you are feeling lonely, try approaching Xinyue or one of the ladies. I have not tried Xinyue before but I personally guarantee that Dong Shuzen will give you a night to remember. All the best.” When the cabin door was closed again, Xiang Shaolong can only smile bitterly to himself.

The voyage is a lonesome one and a female companion for the night will surely grant him significant happiness. However, he cannot go against his own conscience. After being in a daze for some time, he made peace with his own emotions and snuggled into his bed and blanket. Since he left Qin, his greatest joy lies in meeting his wives and son in his dreams. Just as he was about to fall asleep, his ears picked up the sound of the door softly opening and he woke up in shock.

Xiang Shaolong reached over and barely grasped the handle of Bloodwave hanging by his bedside when he was overwhelmed by a womanly fragrance. A sizzling hot female body has snaked underneath his blanket, entangling him securely like an octopus.

POLL time!

Who is the mysterious lady?

The first correct answer will get a gift from me!

Dong Shuzhen as suggested?

Thanks Justin. You're just awesome.
    Last edited by Eagle; 06-18-13 at 01:31 AM.

Little Ping’er

Fong Fei! She must have found out his real identity...

Thanks Justin.
    "I may walk slowly but I'm walking forward"

wanted to say little ping but prof already answered that so... Little Ning? btw thx alot ^ ^
    Last edited by hirzy; 06-18-13 at 02:24 AM.

Thanks for the update Justin. I'll say Yu Niang (mistook XSL as XYT)

Shan Rou!! She must have sneaked into the troupe in order to get close to Tian Dan to assassinate him.

Thanks Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin13 View Post
    POLL time!

Who is the mysterious lady?

The first correct answer will get a gift from me!
    wow..wow...exciting.. I wonder what the gift...(2 chapter in 1 day)^^v... yes..yes..I hope my guess is right...

ALL WRONG! It's XinYue!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Little Ping sent by Feng Fei as her official "taster"? :P
    Last edited by chowbeng; 06-18-13 at 09:46 AM.

I know..!! The one at the bed now is Feng Fei then Dong Shuzhen...then Little Ping Er came over and surprise every one....then Yu Niang came to investigate and join everyone....suddenly XinYue came over and found out no more space on the bed

lastly Pamela Anderson did a Special Appearance!!

You guys are simply hilarious!!!!

Queen Elizabeth!

Thanks for the update!
    [Bet its Xinyue]

can't wait to know the answer