Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

lol - Wasn't on purpose, and it was only recently that I realised there was a "rush" to be "First!!!" )

I am on the computer most of the time, and when I am bored, I just scan the translation page.
    But I usually miss posts that happen at night - got things to do...

btw - with only 22 chapters left, there is no way to catch up to my no of 'first' post...

Out of the blue, he received news that Zongsun Xuanhua is here and is asking for him. Xiang Shaolong was mentally prepared for this visit. As anticipated, upon meeting him at the main hall, Zongsun Xuanhua started the conversation off with some unimportant topics, such as Second Prince expressing his admiration for him, etc. Eventually, he proposed: “We have already prepared a top quality sailboat for Great General. Two nights later, we would fetch Great General at Qixia College and set sail immediately. Would Mistress be leaving with Great General or would she stay behind and leave after the Qixia College performance?”

Feigning a troubled look, Xiang Shaolong groaned: “This is the source of my agony now. She insisted on leaving only after the successful conclusion of both performances. Without her, how can I leave with a peace of mind?”

Zongsun Xuanhua appears to have gotten wind from Han Jie, knowing that Feng Fei is leaving with Xiang Shaolong on the same night after the duel. He could not conceal his astonishment and exclaimed: “Haven’t the two of you come to an agreement?”

Xiang Shaolong is intentionally wedging a rift between him and Han Jie, sighing: “It was decided some time ago but she somehow changed her mind today. Hng. Does she think she can deceive me? On one hand, she is cozying up to me but on the other hand, she is seeing someone else. She may have her own spies but so do I.”

Zongsun Xuanhua apparently is still ignorant about the relationship between Han Jie and Feng Fei. Hearing Xiang Shaolong’s words, his face turned pale and he probed: “Who is her lover?”

Shaking his head, Xiang Shaolong apologized: “This is Mistress’s private affairs; pardon me for not being able to reveal him. Nonetheless, it is only a few days delay. I will leave after the Qixia College performance!”

Zongsun Xuanhua instantly freaked out and worriedly questioned: “Lu Buwei has decided to return home the next morning after Great General’s duel with Grandmaster Cao. Doesn’t Great General wish to leave before him?”

Xiang Shaolong knows that he is still trying his luck and testing himself. He reacted with bewilderment: “What’s the hurry? Moreover, I have dispatched a messenger to Xianyang, updating Crown Prince about my situation. I also told him that wherever I am killed, the State which owns the territory would surely be involved and implored him to take revenge for me. I do not believe Lu Buwei or Tian Dan would come personally for me. What they would do is instigate others to become their sacrificial lambs.” He then coldly grunted: “My Wu Family is packed with experts; whoever that wishes harm upon me had better be prepared to live as a fugitive for the rest of his life. Brother Xuanhua can put your mind at ease.”

With a guilty conscience, how can Zongsun Xuanhua maintain his calmness? Taking in those words, his face became drained of colour and he was dumbfounded.

Li Yuan and the others would not dare to openly assault Xiang Shaolong too. Like Lu Buwei, they are instigating Zongsun Long father and son to be their scapegoats.

Since the battle of Handan’s Wu Family Fortress, the fame of Wu Family Warriors has spread near and far.

If Zongsun Long father and son were exposed to be the perpetuators behind Xiang Shaolong’s assassination, they would face punishment from the royal family of Qi. Furthermore, they can forget about having a good meal or a good night’s sleep with the assassins of the Wu Family seeking revenge on them.

Xiang Shaolong would not let up the pressure on Zongsun Xuanhua. He analyzed: “If I were Lu Buwei, I would get idiots like Ma Chenjia to try and kill me. Once completed, I would purposely leak the information to the public. When that happens, Qin will officially demand Qi for Ma Chenjia’s head. What do you think the King of Qi would do?”

Zongsun Xuanhua cannot help but shuddered once, realizing: “This is truly a devious scheme of Killing with a borrowed knife.”

Xiang Shaolong was amused, knowing that he has finally seen through Lu Buwei’s façade of abandoning Tian Dan. It is actually Killing two birds with one stone. Firstly, get the father and son to kill Xiang Shaolong and secondly, using their crime to get rid of this father and son.

Using this example, they should know that if something were to really go wrong, Li Yuan and the others would push all the blame to them too.

Zongsun Long is not a fool, otherwise, he could not have amassed his present wealth and status. Due to his oversight that Yingzheng and Xiang Shaolong are in trouble, he has lost sight of his main goal and fell into this dilemma.

As Xiang Shaolong has heard of their disloyalty and even eavesdropped on their secret meeting last night, he was able to enlighten Zongsun Xuanhua that he has been used by Lu Buwei, Li Yuan and company, and even Han Jie in just a few sentences.

Zongsun Xuanhua is in a hurry to discuss these developments with his father and is not interested to carry on the conversation. With a panicky expression, he hastily scampered away.

Lifting his arms and stretching his back, Xiang Shaolong went in search of Feng Fei

Unless his guess is off the mark, Zongsun Xuanhua would definitely interrogate Han Jie, who will in turn press Feng Fei for details.

Since Lu Buwei is leaving in three days time, Han Jie has to leave too. Regardless of whether it is for himself or for Lu Buwei, he would not allow Zongsun Long to obtain Feng Fei.

But because of all these transitions, Xiang Shaolong knows that even if Zongsun Long is ten times more courageous, he would not dare to lay a finger on Feng Fei.

If Zongsun Long were to act against the interests of Xiang Shaolong, Feng Fei will become his incriminating evidence. It would seem logical that Zongsun Long is getting rid of Xiang Shaolong because of Feng Fei.

Out of the blue, light has appeared at the end of the tunnel.

Li Yuan and the others have deceived him thoroughly. He is now turning the tables and giving them a taste of their own medicine.

Feng Fei appears to have given up Han Jie entirely, obediently following each and every one of Xiang Shaolong’s instructions. Their coordination was incredible. It was only when Xiao Yuetan came to look for him did Xiang Shaolong finally left the main building. In the side hall of the front courtyard, he detailed yesterday’s and this morning’s events to Xiao Yuetan.

Slapping his thigh, Xiao Yuetan sighed: “Xiang Shaolong is indeed Xiang Shaolong. With a small mistake by the adversaries, you are able to grasp the initiative. Zongsun Xuanhua is still inexperienced and bared his soul with just a few words from you.” Pausing, he stared at Xiang Shaolong, quizzing: “Shouldn’t Shaolong be worried that Lu Buwei may locate that couple who raised Yingzheng?”

Xiang Shaolong could recognize Xiao Yuetan’s doubts about Xiao Pan too. However, besides Wu Tingfang and Teng Yi, even Ji Yanran who is so close to him has no idea about it. Indeed, this is a secret that mustn’t be shared, and even Xiao Yuetan is of no exception. Putting on a frank expression, Xiang Shaolong nonchalantly replied: “So what if he locates them? Unless Lu Buwei has bribed them to fabricate charges, there is nothing to be worried about.”

Xiao Yuetan was stunned: “Actually, Elder Brother has always wanted to ask you this question. Among the letters that Manager Tu (Xian) writes to me, he did mentioned that you ganged up with the senior veterans of Qin Military to conduct a blood test for Lu Buwei and Crown Prince. After proving that they are not related, the Crown Prince and yourself are able to obtain the full support of these veterans in suppressing Lu Buwei. My question is, why is Shaolong so confident that Crown Prince is not the son of Lu Buwei?”

That was the same question that Tu Xian posed years ago and what Xiang Shaolong dreaded answering. Sighing with a breath, he confessed: “I did asked Zhu Ji the exact question face to face but even she herself is unsure who is the father. That means the chances are fifty-fifty that it is Traitor Lu’s son. Given the circumstances, if I were to reject Lu Gong’s recommendation, it would mean the loss of support from these Qin veterans. Therefore, I decided to stake everything in the gamble. Luckily, it was the right bet.”

Xiao Yuetan nodded in agreement: “With one-to-one odds, the gamble is worth it. Nevertheless, your present scenario is not very optimistic. Although Zongsun Long has been startled by you and would never become a murder weapon for somebody else, you still cannot rely on him.” Pausing, he added: “It is truly a blessing that nobody has discovered the relationship between the two of us; everyone simply regards me as a connoisseur of Feng Fei’s music. The only viable plan now is for you, Shaolong, to leave first. If you can successfully escape, Feng Fei and the others would be safe!”

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself: Feng Fei and the others can come under the joint protection of Shan Rou and Lord Longyang. If the King of Qi is planning to announce Tian Jian as the new Crown Prince at the birthday banquet tomorrow night, Xie Ziyuan’s status would be greatly elevated and Zongsun Long father and son would be doing their best to get into his good books. Simultaneously, Tian Dan would have to take additional precautions against him.

Li Yuan and the others would probably chip in to protect Feng Fei and company, granting Xiang Shaolong this favour. After all, maintaining a friendship is better than creating an enemy. If the Zhengguo Canal scandal is exposed, Han Chuang’s great merit would instantaneously become his great disaster. As a result, it is crucial for him to return safely to Xianyang.

The ever-conniving Xiao Yuetan reminded: “This fella Han Jie is not a simple man. Born into the royal family of Han, he became a top disciple of Cao Cuidao. Appearing to be working for Lao Ai, he maintains a close relationship with Lu Buwei. Because of Feng Fei, he may become insanely jealous and undertake some risks. For example, he could gather the outraged swordsmen of Qixia and ambush you. This is something you must guard against.”

Xiang Shaolong concluded: “After fighting off Cao Cuidao, I intend to run away as far as possible. It is wonderful that Qixia College is based outside the city, making it rather convenient for me.”

Visualizing the snow skis he needed to make his getaway, Xiang Shaolong suppressed his voice: “Time is not on our side. Can Brother Xiao get his hands on a piece of premium wood for me? I need to construct a pair of snow travelling equipment. When the time comes, you can bury it alongside some food provisions at a place near Qixia College, allowing me to make a swift escape upon retrieving them.”

Xiao Yuetan himself is an expert craftsman. Astounded at his requests, he pressed Xiang Shaolong for the details of the snow ski. When Xiang Shaolong finished sketching the snow ski and snowboard, he was so taken aback that he was gaping for some time before exhaling with amazement: “How did you ever think of something like that? This happens to be the theory behind snow sleds. Leave this to me. Elder Brother will start looking for the raw materials and manufacturing your snow skis immediately. I guarantee that it would be much more ergonomic than your design and they will be completed by the allotted time.”

Xiao Yuetan had barely left Tingsong Villa when Xie Ziyuan came a knocking. He exclaimed with enthusiasm: “If Great General is available, why don’t we take part in the festivities and watch Soft Boned Beauty rehearse Little Brother’s song and dance composition!”

Xiang Shaolong is initially uninterested but recollected that it is a critical strategy to give others a false impression. By behaving leisurely and occupying himself with performances, it further strengthens the notion that he has nothing to fear and nothing worthwhile for Lu Buwei to expose.

Pretending to be elated, he accompanied Xie Ziyuan out of the Villa.

I'm impressed! 21 chapters left and about 30 days till 28 sep anniversary.

Evening post incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaran.Saga View Post
    Since Justin back... here is the highest point of the Stalker Grand Prix up to now (FIRST earns 3 points, SECOND = 2 points, and THIRD = 1 point)... and still 22 chapters to go for Stalker Champion....

NO
    STALKER POINT
    1 ycb5959 61
    2 wuxiacrazy 29
    3 Gubrak 27
    4 Anh Nam 23
    5 Sunterjo 22
    6 hirzy 19
    7 ChronoReverse 18
    8 Jaran.Saga 17
    9 dragonsense 17
    10 crydee 17
    11 kohchun 16
    12 szfong 14
    13 r_aribawono 13
    14 sunn 12
    15 deepbleu 11
    16 Disbol 10
    17 tweety365 10
    18 geraldsaw 8
    19 chowbeng 7
    20 smurf120 7
    21 Clown Prince 6
    22 Pho lover 5
    23 Icefrog 5
    24 Eagle 5
    25 CNProf 5
    26 balikpapan 4
    27 Anok Cukai 4
    28 Tenku 3
    29 bchin22 3
    30 bsarwono 3
    31 lorrycai 3
    32 sauki 3
    33 bakaten 3
    34 teteq 3
    35 didilung 3
    36 aliderhamy 3
    37 yongbifan 3
    38 Jeren of all Trades 2
    39 ROI 2
    40 yeancheant 2
    41 nexus 2
    42 efflix 1
    43 fyre_fyre 1
    44 oo_TLD_oo 1
    45 harihari 1
    46 9Dragons 1
    47 hoangd 1

First...what is my new score Jaran?

Thanks for another one - one step closer to the end

late again..... Thanks Justin
    Sunterjo, i'll update all after several posting..... yours now is 25, ycb5959 is 63
    Last edited by Jaran.Saga; 08-27-13 at 01:28 AM.

I swear some of you guys have no life, beside pressing F5 on this thread

And thank you, Justin13 . You really spoil us.
    Last edited by balikpapan; 08-27-13 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by balikpapan View Post
    And who the heck is ycb5959? his name doesn't ring a bell. How come his points are far above the rest?

And thank you, Justin13 . You really spoil us.
    Before Justin took over, due to the infrequent translation, this thread wasn't this popular. Despite the infrequent translation, I posted my 'thanks' often, as it takes a lot to translate, esp for free . Back then, only a rare few would reply (usually a day or more later)...leading to my post being always "first"

[case in point: jump over to Jean's new thread and see how many actually posted an appreciation...oh no - I may have started a stampede to those other threads now!!! ]

I was kidding, ycb. Doesn't matter who get 'first', everyone is a winner. Well, maybe except the translator(s) who is more of a giver

If memory serves right, I actually started this 'first' comment movement. Or maybe someone else. An old timer for sure.

Didn't know Lady Jean has started another thread. Link?

Quote Originally Posted by balikpapan View Post
    Didn't know Lady Jean has started another thread. Link?
    Four Constables

Another thread, that may rival this one (based on the genre) is
    Stellar Transformations

I'm keeping my eyes on these 2 - love the stories so far...

Quote Originally Posted by ycb5959 View Post
    Four Constables

Another thread, that may rival this one (based on the genre) is
    Stellar Transformations

I'm keeping my eyes on these 2 - love the stories so far...

Errrrrr..... Jean's thread is still ok. The other one really not my taste, so gonna give that one a miss. Just wondering, Wen Rui'an's The Four Constables, how many books are there?

I've only seen one translation thread that is even remotely as popular as this one. That's the Deer and the Cauldron, which is written by a very famous author and has dozens of tv/series adaptions. Other threads don't even come close. Even the unabridged thread is more popular than almost any other threads combined.

If this forum had a flagship project, this thread will be it.

ASITP started in sept 07
    Deer started in July 10

Don't think any thread can beat ASITP for being the longest running series in this forum

In terms of "viewership" (to date):
    Deer: 630,365
    ASITP: 1,562,948

[not because it is more popular, but I think ASITP has more books and chapters...]

Quote Originally Posted by kohchun View Post
    Errrrrr..... Jean's thread is still ok. The other one really not my taste, so gonna give that one a miss. Just wondering, Wen Rui'an's The Four Constables, how many books are there?

After going through the conservative wuxia genre, I thought Stellar Transformation, should be refreshingly different. Of course I still need my daily dose of the other conservative wuxia translations...

@kohchun:

There seems to be a few Four Constables stories... found this list on the Among the Rivers and Lakes Wuxia Community forum:
    Si Da Ming Bu (4 Great Constables) Series 四大名捕系列

Si Da Ming Bu Hui Jing Shi (4 Great Constables Return to the Capital City) 四大名捕會京師
    Book 1: Xiong Shou (Murderer) 兇手
    Book 2: Xue Shou (Blood Hand) 血手
    Book 3: Du Shou (Poison Hand) 毒手
    Book 4: Yu Shou (Jade Hand) 玉手
    Book 5: Hui Jing Shi (Return to the Capital City) 會京師

Si Da Ming Bu Zhen Guan Dong (4 Great Constables Shock East Pass (East of Shanghaiguan)) 四大名捕震關東
    Book 1: Zhui Sha (Hunt) 追殺
    Book 2: Wang Ming (Exile) 亡命

Si Da Ming Po Shen Qiang (4 Great Constables Break Divine Spear) 四大名捕破神槍
    Book 1: Yao Hong (Devil Red) 妖紅
    Book 2: Can Lü (Cruel Green) 慘綠
    Book 1: Yan Xue (Glamorous Snow) 艷雪 (not out)
    Book 2: E Hua (Wicked Flower) 惡花 (not out)

Si Da Ming Bu Dou Tian Wang (4 Great Constables Fight the Heavenly King) 四大名捕斗天王
    Book 1: Zong Heng 縱橫
    Book 2: Feng Liu 風流

Si Da Ming Bu Ku Lou Hua (4 Great Constables Skeleton Painting) 四大名捕骷髏畫
    Book 1: Jin Xiu Ren Pi (Beautiful Human Skin) 錦繡人皮
    Book 2: Mu Dan Luo Sha (Peony Raksa) 牡丹羅剎
    Book 3: Lao Hu Xiu Yue (Tiger Whistling at the Moon) 老虎嘯月
    Book 4: Meng Huan Tian Luo (Heaven Net of Illusion) 夢幻天羅
    Book 5: Gun Shui Wu Qing (Boiling Water is Heartless) 滾水無情
    Book 6: Bu Wang . Leng Xue. Bu Kuai (Constable King . Leng Xue. Constable) 捕王·冷血·捕快
    Book 7: Lian Shi Bu Li De Mi (The Riddle of the Encoffin Cloth) 殮尸布裡的謎
    Book 8: Zhen Xiang (Real Look) 真象

Si Da Ming Bu Ni Shui Han 四大名捕逆水寒

Shi Da Ming Bu Zou Long She 四大名捕走龍蛇 :

Compilation 1: Tan Ting Hui 談亭會
    Book 1: Wo Yi Ding Hui Ying (I Will Certainly Win) 我一定要贏
    Book 2: Bu Shi Ta Sha De (It's Not Her Who Killed) 不是她殺的
    Book 3: Kong Bu the Xiong Shou (Terrifying Murderer) 恐怖的兇手
    Book 4: Wu Qing De Kuai Le (Wu Qing's Happiness) 無情的快樂

Compilation 2: Shui Meng Dao (Dream Shattering Sabre)碎夢刀
    Book 1: Xue Ran Hong Du Juan (Blood Dye Cuckoo Red) 血染紅杜鵑
    Book 2: Shi Hun Dao Fa Shui Meng Dao (Soul Loss Sabre Skill, Dream Shattering Sabre) 失魂刀法碎夢刀
    Book 3: Tang Shi Jing Yao Sha Wo (? Want to Kill Me) 唐失驚要殺我
    Book 4: Jiang Biao Yi Po Men Ren Xin (Hurt the Heart of a Beauty by the River) 江邊一破美人心

Compilation 3: Da Zhen Zhang 大陣仗
    Book 1: Chuan Chang De Du Yao (Poison that Penetrates the Intestines) 穿腸的毒藥
    Book 2: Leng Xue De Xin (Leng Xue's Heart) 冷血的心
    Book 3: Chai Hua Zei (Flower Pick Thief) 採花賊<- this term is also use for sex offenders
    Book 4: Ru Ci Zhen Zhang 如此陣仗

Compilation 4: Kai Xie Hua (Open Thank Flower) 開謝花
    Book 1: Yu Mi Ren He Tang Juan Yong Li Ren Yi 雨迷人和堂 倦慵離人意
    Book 2: Duo Shen Ba Wang Hua Yao Ye Kai Xie Hua 奪神霸王花搖曳開謝花
    Book 3: Shi Shi Yi Sheng Meng Ren Sheng Ji Du Qiu 世事一聲夢人生幾度秋
    Book 4: Meng Xing Wu Jie Yu Cang Sang En Yuan Ying 夢醒無解語滄桑恩怨情

Compilation 5: Bu Lao Shu (Catch the Rat) 捕老鼠
    Book 1: Shan Meng (Mountain Dream) 山夢
    Book 2: Da Ren You Nan (Sir In Trouble) 大人有難
    Book 3: Ta Bian Qing Shan Ren Wei Lao 踏遍青山人未老
    Book 4: Bing Shang De Yi (Ant on Ice) 冰上的蟻
    Book 5: An Shang De Yu (Fish on the Shore) 岸上的魚

Compilation 6: Da Lao Hu (Beat the Tiger) 打老虎
    Book 1: An Qi Dui An Qi (Hidden Weapon Against Hidden Weapon) 暗器對暗器
    Book 2: An Suan Dui An Suan 安算對暗算
    Book 3: Mo Lu Kuang Feng 末路狂風
    Book 4: Ku Xiao Hai Hao 苦笑還好
    Book 5: Yong Yuan Bie Shuo Si (Never Say Die) 永遠別說死
    Book 5: Ying Gai Rang Ta Shuo (Should Let Him Talk) 應該讓他活

Compilation 7: Yuan Hou Yue (Ape Moon) 猿猴月
    Book 1: Yi Shen 疑神
    Book 2: Yi Gui 疑鬼
    Book 3: Yi Shen Yi Gui 疑神疑鬼
    Book 4: Qing Ren Yan Li Chu Jiang Shi 情人眼裡出僵尸

Compilation 8: Zou Long Se 走龍蛇
    Book 1: Qi Meng (Strange Dream) 奇夢
    Book 2: Hao Sheng De Nü Ren (Competitive Woman) 好勝的女人
    Book 3: Yi Zhi Lao Hu Pao De Guai (A Tiger Runs Queer) 一隻老虎跑得怪
    Book 4: Can Jiao De Deng Dai 慘叫的等待

Compilation 9: Meng Gui Miao (Haunted Temple) 猛鬼廟
    Book 1: Jian Jiao De Ren Nai 尖叫的忍耐
    Book 2: Ren Nai Zhe Jian Jiao 忍耐著尖叫
    Book 3: Gui Men Guan (Hell's Gate) 鬼門關
    Book 4: Hong Fen Ku Lou (Red Powder Skeleton) 紅粉骷髏

Compilation 10: Bai Gu Jing (White Bone Demon) 驚白骨精
    Book 1: Shi Wai Tao Yuan (Utopia) 世外逃原
    Book 2: Du Mu Qiao Sheng Shi Dou 獨木橋生死斗
    Book 3: San Da Bai Gu Jing (Beat White Bone Demon Trice) 三打白骨精
    Book 4: Di Yu (Hell) 地獄

Compilation 11: Gui Guan Men (Ghost Closes Door) 鬼關門
    Book 1: Shui Guan Men? (Who Closes the Door?) 誰關門?
    Book 2: Tian Ya He He Chu Wu Nü Gui (Where in the World has No Female Ghost) 天涯何處無女鬼
    Book 3: Qi Meng Ke Zhan Li De E Meng (Nightmare in Beautiful Dream Inn) 綺夢客棧裡的噩夢
    Book 4: Mo Nü (Devil Girl) 魔女

Compilation 12: Tie Bu Shan (Iron Vest) 鐵布衫
    Book 1: Wo De Di Yu Deng Ni (My Hell Waits for You) 我在地獄等你
    Book 2: Jing Di Zhi Hua (Flower in the Bottom of the Well) 井底之花
    Book 3: Mei Gong DAo Cai Jiao Ren Wu Dao 沒公道才教人悟道
    Book 4: Fu Yi Da Bai 浮一大白
    Book 5: Xiang Xu Yi Ke 相敘一刻

Compilation 13: Du Xiao Yue 杜小月

Compilation 14: Jin Zhong Zhao 金鐘罩

Compilation 1?: Ma Sha Ji 馬殺雞 (not out)

Si Da Ming Dou Jiang Jun (4 Great Constables Fight the General) 四大名捕斗將軍 :

Compilation 1: Shao Nian Leng Xue (Young Leng Xue) 少年冷血
    Book 1: Jing Bu Da Jiang Jun (Terrify the Great General) 驚怖大將軍
    Book 2: Sha Ren Xie Hao Shi (Write Good Poem While Murder) 殺人寫好詩
    Book 3: Da Ge Yin 大割引
    Book 4: Guan Gai Man Jing Hua . Sha Shou Du Qiao Cui 冠蓋滿京華•殺手獨憔悴

Compilation 2: Shao Nian Zhui Ming (Young Zhui Ming) 少年追命
    Book 5: Sha Shou Man Jing Hua . Si Ren Du Qiao Cui 殺手滿京華•斯人獨憔悴
    Book 6: Ai Guo You Zui 愛國有罪
    Book 7: Jin Mei Ping 金梅瓶
    Book 8: Liang Dian Cai Kuang 梁癲蔡狂

Compilation 3: Shao Nian Tie Shou (Young Tie Shou) 少年鐵手
    Book 9: Long Tou (Dragon Head) 龍頭
    Book 10: Da Kuai Ren Shen 大快人參
    Book 11: San Guo Yan Yi (Romance of 3 Corners) 三角演義
    Book 12: Wu Lin Di Shou 武林低手

Compilation 4: Shao Nian Wu Qing (Young Wu Qing) 少年無情
    Book 13: Gan Qing Yong Shi 感情用事
    Book 14: Yi Xi Wang Meng Si Ceng Jian 依稀往夢似曾見
    Book 15: Ya Bia Yi Duo Hua Nu Fang 崖邊一朵花怒放
    Book 16: Ren Jian Ren Jian Ying Xiong Lao 忍見人間英雄老

Compilation 5: Shao Nian Si Da Ming Bu (Young 4 Great Constables) 少年四大名捕 (not out)

Shao Nian Zhu Ge (Young Zhu Ge) 少年諸葛 (not out)

Si Da Ming Bu Chong Chu Jiang Hu (4 Great Constables Return to Jiang Hu) 四大名捕重出江湖 (not out)

Thanks Justin
    I only check this forum twice a day. Once in the Morning and once in the Evening. Thanks to Justin I almost always have something to read now.

Thanks Justin

LOL - I don't think I'm going to place anywhere with the score. I refresh on the thread to read on my cell phone which does not allow me to easily login for some reason - then I try to find a computer to actually post.

I think ASTIP is only long running translation that exists entirely on SPCnet forum - many of the other translated works began their life on wuxiapedia or some other site. For example, I discovered the first 10 chapters of Ode to Gallantry about 2 years after it was first posted, then waited about 2 years before it was picked up and finished.

However, that being said, I find the ASTIP to be freshest wuxia series since I was only exposed to the TVB series which truncates the story to about 1/20 of the original size. Actually I'm quite impressed with the editors and scriptwriters were able to produce anything based on how epic the original work is.

Favorites - in no particular order - ASTIP, DOMD, SPW, The Gallant Twins

Book 24 Chapter 06 Separating gratitude and enmity

Aboard Xie Ziyuan’s carriage and listening to his light-hearted whistling, Xiang Shaolong can realign his focus and reflect on the activities over the past few days.

When he first ran into Li Yuan at Zongsun Residence, Li Yuan is likely a well-meaning friend without any malicious intentions. When he could not bear it any longer and started communicating with Han Chuang, it eventually gave rise to the idea of getting rid of Xiang Shaolong, a potentially huge threat to their States. How Guo Kai came into the picture is anyone’s guess.

They are aware that Xiang Shaolong has a special place in Lord Longyang’s heart. Moreover, he had expressed regret at betraying Xiang Shaolong in the past. Therefore, they chose to keep Lord Longyang in the dark about this affair.

Lord Longyang only happened to run into him when he was actually looking for Feng Fei.

When Han Chuang visited him for the first time and learnt about his plans to steal his sabre from Cao Cuidao’s Qixia College, he probably hasn’t made up his mind to get rid of him or not.

But when Han Chuang mentioned this to Li Yuan or Guo Kai, it inspired them to make use of Cao Cuidao to kill him. When Cao Cuidao is unable to take his life, Han Chuang knows that he has become the main suspect. He chose to avoid Xiang Shaolong while sending Li Yuan to make enquiries.

Li Yuan is truly clever, intentionally revealing Han Chuang and Guo Kai’s partnership and earning Xiang Shaolong’s trust. And he himself is silly enough to divulge Lord Longyang’s plans to secretly whisk him away.

Lord Longyang is probably conscious that Li Yuan and the others are going to make things difficult for him but is unable to prove it, explaining why he is abandoning everything and leaving Lin Zi with him.

Instead, it was Xiang Shaolong who went back on his word and rejected his kind intention.

If not for him spying on their secret meeting yesterday, this chain of events would probably remain a mystery to him.

Surprisingly, he was feeling hurt but without a shred of hatred.

Because he understands that everyone is forced by circumstances.

At this point, Xie Ziyuan quizzed: “Are you acquainted with Xu Shang? He is originally from Shangcai and is very talented.”

Only now did Xiang Shaolong remember that Xu Shang had accompanied Lu Buwei to Qi. As they have not met each other here, he has cleanly forgotten about him. He nodded his head to acknowledge their acquaintance.

Xie Ziyuan updated: “Presently, Qi Yu and him are locking horns over Lan Gongyuan. Lu Buwei appears to be rather lenient towards Xu Shang.”

Xiang Shaolong pondered: “If my guess is correct, Lan Gongyuan must have starting dating Xu Shang back in Xianyang years ago. Hey, are you aware that Lan Gongyuan once disguised herself as a serving maid and tried to assassinate me?”

Xie Ziyuan was thunderstruck: “Is that so? However, she did underwent special training and her skills are pretty remarkable.”

Xiang Shaolong might as well tell him the whole story. Once completed, Xie Ziyuan concluded with a serious expression: “That circus you are talking about must be Bian Dongshan’s Dongzhou Circus. All along, they have been touring and performing at the various States but suddenly, they simply vanished without any news. It looks like the circus members were completely annihilated at Xianyang.”

Xiang Shaolong enquired: “Who is Bian Dongshan?”

Xie Ziyuan sighed: “Among the top four disciples of Cao Cuidao, Bian Dongshan is the best, followed by Zongsun Xuanhua, Han Jie and wifey. Bian Dongshan’s forte lies in his agility and parkour skills, and he is a first-rated assassin. He often carries out assignments for Tian Dan.”

Xiang Shaolong mused: “He must have lost his life at Xianyang.”

Xie Ziyuan shook his head, advising: “A few months ago, I heard Zongsun Xuanhua saying that he has just met him. According to hearsay, he had travelled to the Capital of Yan to assassinate a Yan General. The people of Yan trembles with fear at the mention of his name. Great General may be highly skilled but an assassin’s methods are often undetectable. Great General must not be complacent.”

Xiang Shaolong bitterly smiled: “If he wishes to assassinate me, this is the best opportunity.”

Xie Ziyuan officially remarked: “On the contrary, while you are here, Great General can put your mind at ease. Bian Dongshan is fiercely loyal to Great Qi and would never do anything that will put Great King in a difficult position. However, it would be a different story if you leave the territory of Qi. The people of Yan nicknamed Bian Dongshan as The Assassin with a Hundred Faces. His art of disguise is unfathomable and unsurpassed. One cannot predict his next appearance or new identity.”

For the time being, Xiang Shaolong cannot be bothered with Bian Dongshan. Recalling Zhang Quan’s theft of the song sheet, he shared the story with Xie Ziyuan too. He added that Feng Fei has composed a new song and even if Lan Gongyuan chooses to perform the stolen song, it would not affect Feng Fei.

Xie Ziyuan was infuriated: “It must be Qi Yu masterminding the theft. He tried to woo Feng Fei in the past but was rejected by her. Thus, he hates her to the core. I will take care of this. I, Xie Ziyuan, would not condone these shameless acts by Yuan Yuan.”

The carriage is now entering Jade Orchid Brothel. At this time of the day, the brothel is not open for business yet and the gigantic courtyards are so peaceful they seemed like an isolated world away from the rest of the city. From the rear courtyards, hints of music can be heard.

The two men got off the carriage and started walking towards the exceptionally grand Performing Hall situated at the rear courtyards.

Xie Ziyuan whispered: “In the past, when the Great King is much healthier, he loves to frequent the Performing Hall for song and dance performances, saying that the courtesans here are much more lively. What does he expect? Courtesans who enter the palace may never get to leave. Firstly, they may unknowingly offend the King and be sentenced to death. Secondly, they may be retained by the King and after one night of passion, be relegated to a harem of forgotten concubines. In fact, there is no difference between the two outcomes.”

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself: In comparison, Xiao Pan’s self control is admirable.

Xie Ziyuan sighed: “The Great King has a dream, which is seeing the Three Famous Courtesans performing simultaneously in front of him. He has tasked us with this mission and demands for it to be accomplished at all costs. This can be considered his only dying wish, which allows him to last till today. Otherwise he would have… Hey!”

Xiang Shaolong finally comprehended the intricacies behind this grand birthday celebrations. This clearly demonstrates the empty boasts of Qi as well as their culture of instant gratification.

With this laid back mindset, not only has this huge country failed to become the leader of the Eastern States, it has constantly disrupted allied talks which happens to be the only way to curb the aggressiveness of Qin.

At this juncture, a melodious tune filled the air. It was a group of courtesans singing in unison. With crystal clear voices and fantastic beats, Xiang Shaolong was drawn into the music.

Xie Ziyuan proudly proclaimed: “This was the composition I created at the lounge that night. It can be considered one of my best works.”

Xiang Shaolong guffawed: “Does that mean that the rehearsal is ending?”

Xie Ziyuan burst out laughing and crossed the ledge into the Performing Hall.

At the heart of the Performing Hall, there were nearly sixty courtesans who are waving multicoloured dance ribbons, materializing into countless formations, resembling different clutters of coloured clouds encircling an elaborately dressed Lan Gongyuan who was singing and dancing in the centre. It was a mesmerizing sight.

By now, Lan Gongyuan was singing solo.

Witnessing her soft and flexible petite frame bending to fashion all sorts of extreme and enticing dance poses, coupled with the highs and lows, pauses and stretches in the song, it felt like a performance by heavenly maidens, causing the observers to experience the sensation of entering the heaven realm where immortals reside.

Arranged at a side were a group of forty musicians who were playing music and generating a delightful ambience within the Performing Hall.

Besides Qi Yu and a gang of ten odd Qi locals whom Xiang Shaolong does not recognize, the audience comprises of Xu Shang as well.

Once the song finishes, Qi Yu and the others broke out into applause and cheers.

Abandoning the rest of the crowd, Lan Gongyuan approached Xie Ziyuan and Xiang Shaolong. Smiling like the blossoming of a flower, she cajoled: “Why took Official Xie and Great General so long to come over?”

Probably concerned about the ‘Song Theft’ issue that Xiang Shaolong mentioned, Xie Ziyuan apologized before pulling Lan Gongyuan aside and speaking to her in private.

Qi Yu and the others started walking towards him while the courtesans were all paying special attention to him. Whispering and giggling among themselves, they are radiating with passion.

Xu Shang greeted Xiang Shaolong with a military salute as per the laws of Qin. He added with a serious tone: “I have not had the chance to officially pay my respects to Great General; I beg Great General’s pardon for my tardiness.”

Xiang Shaolong chuckled: “This is not Xianyang; let’s keep things simple.”

With an apprehensive expression, Qi Yu peeped at an irate Xie Ziyuan who is speaking to Lan Gongyuan some distance away from them. With a distracted tone, he questioned Xiang Shaolong: “It has come to my attention that Great General is a music connoisseur. How would you rate the previous song?”

Xiang Shaolong is conscious that it was Zhang Quan who told him about it. Guilt-ridden, he solemnly state: “Brother Qi must be kidding. In the field of music, Little Brother is just an amateur. However, even to a music newbie like me, I find the earlier song an exciting and unparalleled composition. It is somewhat able to evoke strong emotions in me.”

A well-built and young warrior standing besides Qi Yu interrupted: “My name is Min Tingzhang. I hereby pay my respects to Great General.”