Page 28 of 321 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878128 ... LastLast

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

way to go master story teller/translator!!! you deserved happiness and the best of luck for the CNY.... enjoy....

thanks for thinking about us readers before you take a break, that was a very magnanimous gesture on your part!!

Happy Chinese New Year Jean and everyone!

My advice for XSL... "DON'T GO THERE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shi-Potian View Post
    on a side note omfg i managed to find the duke of mount deer novels though its the english deer and the cauldron are the english version faithful??????
    When I first read them, I thought the books were translated quite well. Years later after reading the original Chinese novel, I noticed that the translated books were indeed abridged quite a bit. Only minor things were left out, however, and the key elements to the plot are still intact. The translation is also extremely faithful. Because the translation is intended for a Western audience, some names and phrases will sound just plain awkward (especially if you have watched the TV adaptations and are familiar with the story). Nevertheless, I highly recommend these books for the Chinese illiterate who are fans of Duke of Mount Deer or just wuxia in general. Besides, you can't go wrong with a novel whose main character is TrinketWei.
    弃我去者作日之日不可留,
    乱我心者今日之事多烦忧.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinketWei View Post
    Besides, you can't go wrong with a novel whose main character is TrinketWei.
    My goodness, so that's WXB's name in the translated DOMD!
    I was wondering Trinket sounded so unique... hahaha

Regarding the story, I hope XSL finally gets a slap. That would be awesome!

Whoa! XSL really put himself into a situation now - How embaressing that must be for both of them.

Happy New Year to all and Jean thank you so much

I read DOMD as translated by Minford also, and loved the story and the translation, but after the second reading I realized there were a couple of holes in the storyline that I attributed to the text being abridged. I never got around to posting the questions on the Wuxia threads here though, maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinketWei View Post
    When I first read them, I thought the books were translated quite well. Years later after reading the original Chinese novel, I noticed that the translated books were indeed abridged quite a bit. Only minor things were left out, however, and the key elements to the plot are still intact. The translation is also extremely faithful. Because the translation is intended for a Western audience, some names and phrases will sound just plain awkward (especially if you have watched the TV adaptations and are familiar with the story). Nevertheless, I highly recommend these books for the Chinese illiterate who are fans of Duke of Mount Deer or just wuxia in general. Besides, you can't go wrong with a novel whose main character is TrinketWei.

hey guys, I'm back.... and now to cont the story.....

Xiang Shaolong knows that he’s in trouble and hurriedly knelt down but he was at a loss as to what to say.

Zhao Qian saw that it’s Xiang Shaolong and her anger subsided. In replacement she blushed deeply, stamped her feet and ran away.

Zhao Ya could be heard calling after her outside but obviously she did not manage to stop her.

Xiang Shaolong stood up, her fragrance still lingering on his body, his heart beating erratically.

Lady Ya walked in and she looked unhappy. She stared at him and walked over, asking icily, “Shaolong! What have you done to Zhao Qian?”

Xiang Shaolong was very unhappy with her tone of voice and attitude. Besides he was not in a good mood after hearing Wu Zhuo’s news so he thought to himself, so be it that you do not trust me, why should I explain to you. He gave a cold snort and walked out the door.

After all Lady Ya is one who is used to having her orders obeyed, and although she loves Xiang Shaolong extremely, she is firstly annoyed that he touched the untouchable Third Princess, and because she could not tolerate such an attitude, she cried out angrily, “Stay there!”

Xiang Shaolong stopped walking, and thought of her promiscuous past and also how she drugged him with aphrodisiacs to help Zhao Mu deal with him, and how she allowed Zhao Mu to take liberties with her while in the carriage. He’d suppressed all these feelings usually but now they’ve come bubbling up to the surface and he felt extremely upset. He stared at her coldly and asked, “What instructions does Lady has?”

Lady Ya’s heart turned cold on seeing his look and she softened. She moved to him and asked a little fearfully, “Don’t you know you cannot antagonize Zhao Qian?”

Xiang Shaolong was not appreciative of her change in tone at all and said emotionlessly, “Your servant will not dare to do so in future, may I take my leave now?”

Lady Ya thought to herself that she has not blamed him wrongly, so how could she tolerate such an attitude from him so she stamped her feet and said, “Fine! Xiang Shaolong, get lost now.”

Xiang Shaolong thought of the past and felt that without this woman, he’ll save himself a lot of troubles. Although life in future may not be so easy, but he can’t really be bothered now and left. Of course he did not forget to take the inner armor with him as he left.

That night Xiang Shaolong did not step into Lady Ya’s abode at all. After dinner, he went to the garden to practice his flying needles and after happily practicing for a while, his anger towards Lady Ya ceased as well. Just as he was pondering if he should look for her, Zhao Da suddenly came and knelt down on seeing him, his eyes filled with unshed tears of fury and helplessness as he said, “Master Xiang please decide for us brothers. That conniving thief Prince Shaoyuan came to look for Lady and after talking to her in private for a moment, Lady invited him into her room.”

Xiang Shaolong was dumbfounded. Prince Shaoyuan had just killed Lady Ya’s loyal subordinate Zhao Er, and now this wanton is inviting him to his room. No wonder Zhao Da is so furious and for him to come and complain to him, it’s obvious that he is prepared to lose his life over this.

Xiang Shaolong helped him up and instructed, “Take it that you’ve never come to look for me, understand?”

Zhao Da was livid, “I’m not afraid of anything now.”

Xiang Shaolong secretly sighed and instructed him not to follow him. He went towards Lady Ya’s residence and deliberately took a detour and went through the back garden. Naturally the guards dared not stop him but when he reached the inner courtyard from the back garden, Xiaozhao and the other maids were all shocked and their faces turned pale, thinking of blocking his way.

Xiang Shaolong had a murderous look and uttered coldly, “Give way!”

The ladies dared not really stop him and they retreated.

Xiang Shaolong went to Lady Ya’s bedroom and kicked the door open with his leg.

Prince Shaoyuan and Lady Ya cried out in alarm at the same time.

The two of them were sitting next to each other on a long chair, Prince Shaoyuan’s hands reached out and hugged Lady Ya tightly, as if he was going to kiss her lips while Lady Ya was trying to push him off, her face coy. The scene is enough to make Xiang Shaolong burn with fury.

Prince Shaoyuan stood up angrily and pointed at him, “What audacity!”

Xiang Shaolong recollected his thoughts and thought that if it comes to reasoning, he really does not have the authority to barge in like that and spoil their fun. But in this era where the strong represents everything, what counts is talent, so there’s nothing much to be said. Besides, Price Shaoyuan caused the death of Su Nu, and he can’t wait to rip him apart. His eyes glaring murderously, his hands on the pommel of his Rainbow Sword, he stared at him unwaveringly, making Prince Shaoyuan’s heart turn cold.

Lady Ya actually had no intention of canoodling with Prince Shaoyuan, but because Prince Shaoyuan came to look for her saying that there’s something about Xiang Shaolong and Lady Pingyuan that he has to tell her in secret, that’s why she invited him into the room. Who’d expect that after he said his words, he tried to force himself on her and Xiang Shaolong happen to barge in right at this time, scattering her wits.

It was just a lover’s quarrel for them earlier but now that Prince Shaoyuan is involved, this has turned into another matter.

She saw that Xiang Shaolong’s expression was icy cold, as if he’s going to kill someone. She was so frightened that she jumped up and stood between the two of them, screaming, “No!”

Last edited by Jean; 02-10-08 at 09:28 PM.

Welcome back! And what an update!

Shaolong, kill that bugger!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

and we get a dose of soap opera drama!
    xsl should do away with this prince. bastard's been on my nerves for the last couple chapters.

jean, missing you so much. hope you and your family had a fun and festive cny. welcome back!

to continue....

Naturally Xiang Shaolong knows he cannot kill Prince Shaoyuan, and he heard the footsteps of Prince Shaoyuan’s men hurrying over from the outside so he took the opportunity to step down and said, “Protect him if you want! From today onwards, I shall not be bothered with your private affairs.”

He turned and left, ignoring the curses of the shocked Prince Shaoyuan.

He bumped right into Prince Shaoyuan’s 4 warriors in the hall.

The 4 of them were overcome by his aura and moved aside, watching as he left.

Xiang Shaolong returned to his own room and felt relaxed instead.

All this time he has been troubled by Zhao Ya’s scandalous past.

He’s never had the experience of engaging with wanton women. Even on the day that he was sent to this era by the time machine, he was having fun with the queen of bars Zhou Xiangmei, but that was just a one night stand, and he’d never think of living with her.

Now that Zhao Ya has stated that she wants to change for the better and follow him, that is another matter. He saw for himself the 2 of them hugging and it doesn’t matter if any force was used, the fact is Zhao Ya invited him into her room. Obviously wantonness is already in her nature, and never thought of defending herself against men. This point is enough to make him furious.

The door opened, Zhao Ya walked in looking sad and angry and after she closed the door, she leaned against the wall at the side, looking sadly at the calm and composed Xiang Shaolong who was sitting on the rug.

Lady Ya lowered her head, “It’s my fault for misunderstanding you.”

Xiang Shaolong said emotionlessly, “You’ve asked Third Princess?”

Lady Ya nodded her head slightly, and asked angrily, “Why didn’t you explain to me? I have feelings of jealousy as well!”

Xiang Shaolong chortled, “This doesn’t matter now, it’s late! Lady please return and rest! We have to be on our way again tomorrow.”

Lady Ya looked at him in shock, and on seeing his cold expression, she threw herself into his arms, her arms going around his solid neck and cried in alarm, “Shaolong! Please listen to my explanation, he tried to force a kiss on me, I…”

Xiang Shaolong remained unmoving as a rock, not even twitching the muscles on his face. He looked at her coldly and said, “If you can explain why you invited a man who has just cruelly killed your loyal subordinate, and an enemy of mine, as well as a lecherous ex-lover of yours into your room, I will forgive you.”

Lady Ya was at a loss for words.

For someone like her who grew up in a rich and powerful family, she wouldn’t be overly bothered about the life and death of a subordinate. As for letting Prince Shaoyuan into her room, although it was Prince Shaoyuan who initiated it, but at that time she really harbored the thought of having her revenge against Xiang Shaolong. Of course she did not expect Xiang Shaolong to barge in.

Hot tears rushed out.

Xiang Shaolong smiled, “Lady! I am not bothered about how you and Zhao Mu joined forces to harm me, because I thought that you will concede to me with all your heard from now on. Only today did I realize it’s just wishful thinking on my part. Even if you want to copulate, you don’t have to do it with Prince Shaoyuan! There are a few hundred strong young men around here, choosing any one of them will make me feel better.”

“Pak!”

A handprint appeared on Xiang Shaolong’s face.

Lady Ya covered her face and wailed as she retreated, crying out wretchedly, "You insult me, I really…”

Xiang Shaolong raised his voice, “Shut up!” He touched his cheek and added, “This slap will signify the end of our relationship, you can be with whoever you like, I will not be bothered. If you find me a hindrance to your eyes, just ask your imperial brother to kill me. But don’t blame me for warning you, whoever tries to kill or harm me, will have to pay a bitter price.” And he walked out of the room furiously.

Lady Ya screamed, “No!” and tugged his clothes.

Xiang Shaolong pushed her away and left.

Extremely furious, he thought of his 2 greatest enemy.

What kind of a world is this, he obviously knows that Zhao Mu and Prince Shaoyuan has committed atrocious crimes, how can he continue to let them strut about so publicly.

No!

I must become this era’s strongest person, by then I need not bend over backwards just for survival, and live so unhappily.

In order to avoid Lady Ya, he hid himself in a dark corner. As expected, Lady Ya ran out in tears looking for him.

Xiang Shaolong went back to his room, thinking to himself that he won’t be able to get a good sleep tonight, so he might as well practice with his newly set up climbing equipment to see if it works.

Once he made up his mind, he felt like a little kid who is going to have fun. He changed into a black outfit, brought his equipment and climbed out his window into the courtyard.

The only target for his practice is naturally Lady Pingyuan and her son. Under the cover of the night, he used his ability and swiftly and quietly made his way to the courtyard where Lady Pingyuan is staying.

When that lone building came into his sight, he saw that security was tight. Unless one can morph into a bird, he can forget about slipping in. Lamps were lighted in the hall, and voices could be heard.

Luckily Xiang Shaolong has the ability to climb up high.

Hmm... what will he find out on his espionage?
    Last edited by Jean; 02-11-08 at 09:56 PM.

thanks Jean.
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

hehehe... i love that analogy of XSL being a little kid about to have some fun! i have a funny image in my head =)

Jean, I miss your daily updates so much!

Tsk, tsk, it's a given that with so many women, there would bound to be trouble. But I do feel bad for Lady Ya. She's turned over a new leaf, but I suppose it is hard to forget her past.

More please

Quote Originally Posted by efflix View Post
    hehehe... i love that analogy of XSL being a little kid about to have some fun! i have a funny image in my head =)

New analogy. Edison Chen is Xiang Xiaolong (just not as competent).

Anyway, I'm glad that b*tch got dumped. She deserved it. I can't believe Xiang Xialong would be with her after witnessing what she did with Zhao Mu in the carriage. If it was me who experienced something like that with a girl I liked, I would never be bothered with her again.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Yeah come to think of it, Edison seems a good contemporary comparison to XSL in terms of getting all the women other men dream about.

But in the end I think all of these women probably are very mad at him and most probably would not want to have anything to do with him in the future. As for XSL, apparently once you are with him, there is no going back.
    Look at poor Lady Ya, she is crushed.

Who is Edison Chen?

And is it just me or is this story really starting to get GOOD.

And Tweety, I was starting to like Lady Ya too, but we have a saying
    in the hood.... "You can't turn a 'ho' into a 'housewife'!" XSL is well rid of her.

Finally anyone living in the Potomac area tonight remember to go to the
    polls and vote for our next prez.... BARACK OBAMA!!!
    Last edited by KChill; 02-12-08 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    And Tweety, I was starting to like Lady Ya too, but we have a saying in the hood.... "You can't turn a 'ho' into a 'housewife'!" XSL is well rid of her.
    If that is true, it's really a sad thing. So no second chances at all. I think true love can bypass a person's sexual past. I do understand that kind of man is few in numbers.

Well...

It's still not clear whether XSL ditch Lady Ya forever...

I think for the storytelling purpose, Lady Ya holds much more important role than just one of XLS's girl. She affects several high-powered officials, and she also helps tie-up the missing information for the readers. She and Lady Pingyuan seem to hold some semblance to power-women, not just a 'sweet' girl.

XSL is too much of a man-***** to complain about others being ****s.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

I think XSL and Lady Ya make a great couple. They both have wild sex drives with numerous sexual partners. But I hate XSL's holier than thou sentiment. Such double standards! Give up all his other women and then he can reprimand Lady Ya.