Page 321 of 321 FirstFirst ... 221271311312313314315316317318319320321
Results 6,401 to 6,420 of 6420

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Quote Originally Posted by 徐 中 銳 View Post
    What of I who have read the complete translations (as they appeared—over the course of years) ?

It comes down to how I prefer to read : if it's all there then I'd happily skip forward (and perhaps go back)... Since it was in instalments, I followed along mostly, gave up a while when I was busy or unsatisfied with « current arc » and tuned-back-in when...

No, 寻秦记 is not something I'll return to read from beginning to end. There's only certain passages/events that I'll re-read (and I know this with certainty only from knowing the whole story).
    Haha, yes, I get your point. I'm sorry if it seemed that I actually insulted those that either can't or prefer not read fast. For me saying this was just to admit how much I loved the premise and that by no means I wrote my previous comment on baseless observation on just one volume that I can barely remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeike View Post
    Haha, yes, I get your point.
    Oh, I trust I weren't too pointed... I admit to being sometimes somewhat moody, ambiguous...

Last time I was too busy/lazy to track down my earlier Post which provides another reference to how I read.

Here, for me, it's a nice pastime supporting translators translating their work-in-progress (but, right now, I'm only following one story [because, short answer, I know how it historically ends]).
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 09-05-15 at 07:01 PM.
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

hello. I read this in one go, i loved it, it was so refreshing. Usually i read stuff like magic and superpowers and so on , this was my first novel without any abnormality Can you recommend me something like this ? I want MORE I like this traveling in past stuff ( or reincarnation ) also all this scheming politics and so good romance part, not too annoying and not too lacking. I w8 for your suggestion guyz

Quote Originally Posted by Jemiko Manjgaladze View Post
    hello. I read this in one go, i loved it, it was so refreshing. Usually i read stuff like magic and superpowers and so on , this was my first novel without any abnormality Can you recommend me something like this ? I want MORE I like this traveling in past stuff ( or reincarnation ) also all this scheming politics and so good romance part, not too annoying and not too lacking. I w8 for your suggestion guyz
    i am a huge fan of A fresh start... its not wuxia/xiaxia/magic/etc but it is the modern equivalent of reincarnation, has romance, scheming politics, and being a baws

http://storiesonline.net/universe/787/a-fresh-start

Gopper

Thanks but i don't like modern era reincarnation )

Hi Jemiko,

Da Tang by Huang Yi

@ akolaw

Thanks a lot ^^ i will read it now. any other?

I recommend trying the completed translation of Jin Yong's The Deer and the Cauldron
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

All Jin Yong's 14 novels are above average, with his longer story much better than shorter one, and his later one better than his earlier ones.

6 of these 14 novels are his most well known ones. They can be devided into 2 group, one is the Condor trilogy, and the other , the other 3. Condor trilogy are Condor hero, Return of Condor, and Heaven Sword. The Other Three are Smiling Proud Wanderer, Demi-gods semi-devils and the Deer and the Cauldron.

The Condor Trilogy are better for the un initiated to join the Wu Xia world of Jin Yong. With more adapted readers seeing either Demi-gods or Deer and Cauldron his best work.

Both are great works with Deer and Cauldron comes with anti-hero smell which sults well as his last work.

It's such a long adventure/epic. My favourite story-arc-within happens to be of Li Yanyan, am glad her immediate difficulties were resolved when :
    Quote Originally Posted by yeongwee View Post
    As Xiang Shaolong recalled Lord Longyang and Madam Zhuang's description of Li Yanyan, how could he abide by Li Yuan's instructions? He placed his eye on the screen aperture, looking towards the center of the hall.

His one look took his breath away.

He could not believe that he would see a person whose beauty and demeanor were both comparable to Ji Yanran and Qin Qing.

To be honest, she was still half a step below Ji Yanran in terms of charm and beauty, and falls short of Qin Qing's grandeur and elegance. Nonetheless she has a whiff of that 'seep into the bones' kind of universally moving, frail and feeble look that causes all who meet her to sympathize with her...

I'm new to this site and just finished reading this book (EPUB version). It's a great story (and great translation quality). Thank you!

Since there is also a television adaption, I was curious and watched some episodes of it. It seems to be very different from the novel. Unfortunately I don't speak a lick of Chinese so without reading the novel first I wouldn't have any idea what's going on.

I did find Chinese subtitles and ran them through Google Translate, but somehow that results in drunken horse bandits discussing the political relations between Syria and Ukraine, and the Wu family head seems awfully interested in protons and stuff. So obviously something is not right.

I wonder does anyone know if there exists proper English subtitles for it anywhere?

I watched the old series before. Can't remember if there was subtitle - totally different from the novel. In fact I gave it up halfway. Many of his people knew he was from the future. Including his wives (think he only had 2)

If you have read the novel (like me), you'll hate the series.

@libelle. As Ycb5959 have said, the TV series is really really off from the book. They merged several characters together. However, if you're still curious about the series, then you can try and search on Google "dramanice". Once you're on the site, you can search it via the search bar on your right hand side, the title of the series is "Step Into The Past" instead of "A Step Into The Past". Goodluck, and hope it doesn't ruin the image of the novel for you! (:. If you run into any problem, feel free to PM me!

Thanks! I actually like the series so far despite not having proper subs.

I came across the dramanice site before, but none of the videos would play. Now that you recommended the site despite this, I notice there are download links that work. Unfortunate they're hardsubs and the audio is the dubbed version. But beggars can't be choosers, even if I must download hundreds of megabytes to obtain a few kilobytes worth of subs.

10 years after the fact that when I first started reading this story, I didn't proceed any further beyond the first few chapters. However, in the last 2 weeks, I read the whole ting. What a great story! Thanks to all the translators for translating this novel. I would like to read it in Chinese, but my Chinese is just not up to par yet.

Anyway, I'm kind of quite shocked that Xiang Xialong never told anyone (not even his wives) that he came from the future. I think if he told just 1 person (he almost told Ji Yanran), the story would've been a teeny bit better.

Next year, there'll be a new A Step To The Past tv series so I really can't wait for that. I hope it's much more similar to the novel than the TVB one. It would probably be 80 episodes if it was though. I can't believe the TVB series got rid of so many good and important characters (like Ji Yanran, Goung Zhongxie, Li Yuan, etc...).
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

its interesting how the original title which means " searching for qin " is completely forgotten because of the subsequent popular TV series ! i see same thing happening with Game of Thrones.
    Last edited by badri; 09-17-17 at 05:00 PM.

I thank you translators Jean, Slyphiad, Justin13, Ren Wo Xing, Yeongwee, Skwandrew, Chowbeng and Kidd for undertaking this massive venture; also kohchun for continuing the unabridged thread.

The comments are also entertaining.

Many thanks for all of the translators (Jean, Justin 13, RWX, Kidd, Yeongwee, Skwandrew, Chowbeng). What a great story. Kudos to late Huang Yi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaran.Saga View Post
    Hi All...
    To those who are like to have ASITP in epub or pdf format, below is the link to my dropbox. I know that some of you had already posted them but this one has translator names in every chapter to honor the translators including their footnotes. hope u like it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6qunepdu8...4JUQ7YlBa?dl=0
    For the late comers who like to read in EPUB or PDF... and 1st posting in 2019 i believe

Much love from Nigeria. FYI it's a country in West Africa 🤣🤣