Page 36 of 321 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686136 ... LastLast

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

and that ancient general has a bug moving here...any one knows how to stop it????

Dear all,

Please create a thread in the wuxia fiction subforum to discuss the implications of modern military tactic in ancient times as was shown in A Step Into The Past.

Please keep things civil.

Thnx,
    Han Solo
    P/s: How come the talk about XXL's relationship and sexual escapades have quiten down?
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    Lovely, you state your point and then cut it off right there. It's the kind of behaviour that really would incite return flames.
    Why are you here to debate? I only replied to you because twice you posted that my logic was not true. You're entitled to your opinion and I am to mine. Noticed I completely ignored you the first time you posted your opinion. You don't agree with my point and I don't agree with yours so just leave it at that. I agree with Han Solo with keeping this civil and this thread as a translation thread. And what is this non-sense about returning flames? I attacked the point, not the person. I even stated that I won't reply on the topic again as I stated my mind already on what I believed. I also did not want this thread to go in the wrong direction. You could've just stated your point(s), but I wouldn't replied on it as I've already said the reasons. Instead, you stated the above non-sense. It's people who always must argue to no end just to prove their point of view that's the real problem. Just drop it man.

Anyway, to avoid anymore conflict, I will just put you on my ignore list so no matter what you type, I won't see it. Sorry, but don't take this personally. It's best for this thread and everyone involved.

To Jean and all readers: My apologies to you guys for going off topic and for our actions.
    Last edited by Bai Qi44; 03-08-08 at 06:09 AM.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

hmm..change of topic..

I think this novel very very explicitly follows the "non-stop excitement" methodology..at least so far... every other page has either swords flying or clothes flying . So far the formulat has been fight-sex-fight-sex-fight-sex...

It is what would be called a "masala" novel in my part of the world... full of spice..not that I am complaining ..

I assume that since we have 22 more books to go, the character development is going to come slowwwwlllyyyy ... I already sense Lady Ya is going to be a very interesting character, apart from the steamy sexual side that is very early on ..ahem..exposed.

XXL, of course, being the main character, has got to become more 3-dimensional..and I look fwd to it with anticipation...

Hopefully our hero's young Protege will grow up and become an interesting character too....And just for the record, lets see how many wives (potential and actual,including concubines ) our hero has lined up so far..

1)mei Caniang
    2)Ting Fangshi
    3)Wu Tingfang
    4)Lady Ya (and her maids Xiaozhao,Xiaomei,Xiaozi,Xiaoyu....aren't they just delixiaos )
    5)Lady Ni
    6)Zhao Qian
    7)Shi Cainu(just guessing here...from Lady Ya's Mention..but with a nickname like
    "Talented stone woman" she is frankly inviting the attentions of our intrepid hero,like waving a flag in front of a bull)
    6)Widow Qing(just guessing again..from lady ya's mention of the "famous beauty widow qing" , who I guess from the context..turns her nose up at all men hehehe just letting my imagination running wild folks...and therefore becoming yet another waving flag in front of our irrepressible,irresistable XXL!!)
    7)The mysterious lady assassin..(longshot here)

Assuming he takes all of these people as wives, and their maids as concubines, He will need a hostel, not a home , to live , and will need to possibly keep count of his children with an abacus

to sum it up,this novel is incredible fun!!!
    Jean,Thx a ton for the translation!
    Last edited by greyman; 03-08-08 at 08:51 AM. Reason: add one more to the ladies list!!

hey guys.....have fun with jean's translation and readers comments....dont figh each other...we r all friends by wuxia, for wuxia....of course, for lovely jean!

Cool

"WILD" / free sex I still cannot tolerate ( not meaning I am objection to the story teller)
    however I did very agree if widows have to be protected, specially beautiful ones.
    ehm

Sorry Han, I'll keep it on topic from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Dear all,

Please create a thread in the wuxia fiction subforum to discuss the implications of modern military tactic in ancient times as was shown in A Step Into The Past.

Please keep things civil.

Thnx,
    Han Solo
    P/s: How come the talk about XXL's relationship and sexual escapades have quiten down?
    oh man!! i read the thread too late!!! i wud have had my 50cents to chip in!! hehe

awwell, out of respect for Jean and Han i will keep my 50cents and save it up! watch out u guys. u talk logic and ill spend my whole dollar on u! :P

i need to prepare for when i get sent back 2000 years,.. must train harder!! *runs to video shop for some XXX movies*
    "i wont be out done by XSL!!! Rawwr!"

thanks jean.

I have a feeling some readers need to read up a bit more on military tactics and study their history befor comenting on this thread.

Last edited by aliderhamy; 03-08-08 at 10:25 PM.

wow, so much discussion going on while I was not around.

Anyway, we're all friends here, so PEACE!

And to cont... new chapter

Book 3 Chap 7 – Three states joined as one

After winning Hu Hui, Xiang Shaolong still remained there for the next 10 days.

During this time the injured were recovering very well and after a discussion, everyone agreed that they should no longer wait for the border guard reinforcements for fear that the Weis will have some tricks up their sleeves again. They will continue the journey on their own and hopefully be able to meet the reinforcements on the way.

With this decision made, Xiang Shaolong went to see Lady Pingyuan.

Her family warriors’ attitude towards him has changed greatly, being extremely respectful as if he is a deity.

Xiang Shaolong had fouind out from Lady Ya long ago that ever since Prince Pingyuan passed away, the 3000 odd family warriors he left behind all did not think highly of Prince Shaoyuan so many of them left and now there’s less than 500 of them left.

If not for their connection with Prince Xinling, the King of Zhao would not have tolerated Prince Shaoyuan and allowed him to become such a bully in Handan.

Most of these family warriors are from Zhao and has no feelings towards the State of Wei. Now that they are slowly realizing that after Lady Pingyuan goes to Wei, she may never return to Zhao again, they are beginning to have second thoughts. And Xiang Shaolong has become the most ideal person for them to throw their lot with, firstly because of his background as the grandson-in-law of the Wu family, and most importantly they saw how righteous he is and his astounding swordsmanship, bravery and tactics.

In this era, a powerful man will naturally have men willing to follow him. And Xiang Shaolong’s potential to become powerful is like the rising sun.

Mercenaries and family warriors represent a person’s ability.

In the past Prince Xinling was able to snatch Jin Bi’s military token to deal with the Qins because he already has a few thousand family warriors under him.

So it’s a most natural thing that those in the Pingyuan’s family changed their attitude towards him totally.

Outside Lady Pingyuan’s tent, he bumped into the almost recovered Prince Shaoyuan but the latter did not even bother to take a look at him and went in on his own.

Xiang Shaolong was secretly commenting to himself, ‘what a lad, consider yourself lucky that I did not give you trouble, and yet you have the audacity to show me your unhappiness.’

Ever since he injured Prince Shaoyuan so seriously, his hatred towards him has lessened greatly but now on seeing his antagonistic attitude, the feeling of old hatred came back.

Inside the tent, Lady Pingyuan was leaning on her couch, her wrist resting on the soft cushion, looking especially alluring, which made Xiang Shaolong’s heart beat faster.

When she gave birth to Prince Shaoyuan, Zhao De, she was not any older than 15, so although she now has a grown up son, she’s only in her 30s. This is the time a woman is most feminine, sultry and in need of the opposite sex.

Having a relationship with such a mature lady is certainly only to pursue the gratification of the body, unlike the illusions surrounding young couples which are quickly broken by reality.

That’s why when he saw how inviting Lady Pingyuan look, thoughts of copulation immediately entered his head.

But instead he behaved properly and sat down at the side of her feet.

Lady Pingyuan asked nonchalantly, “Xiang Shaolong, you’re not going to wait for reinforcements and planning to set off immediately?”

Xiang Shaolong was surprised, “You guessed!”

Lady Pingyuan rolled her eyes at him coquettishly and said, “Not a guess, but a deduction based on your character. Because you’re not the kind who will let others have the chance to move first.”

Xiang Shaolong was a little thrown off guard and said with a bitter smile, “It seems that Lady has changed your attitude towards me, not only are you not on your guard against me, but you seem to be luring me!”

Lady Pingyuan guffawed and rolled her eyes at him again, “It’s your thinking! But I am not going to lure you, instead I wish to have an honest talk with you, that’s why the change in attitude is a very natural thing.”

Xiang Shaolong pretended to be surprised, “That means that Lady has not been totally honest with me all this time.”

Lady Pingyuan replied frankly, “You can say that, because at that time I could not see through you. It was only until you defeated Hui Hu’s enormous army that I realized that you are not one who is will willingly let others control you, and you have the intelligence and ability to achieve this.”

Xiang Shaolong smiled bitterly, “You’re confusing me, how can I know when you’re telling me the truth and when you’re lying? Or maybe you only changed your tactic of dealing with me?”

Lady Pingyuan did not reply him but instead asked suddenly, “Do you know why An Li wants to destroy this wedding agreement between Zhao and Wei?”

Xiang Shaolong shook his head.

I heard woman's sexual peak is at 30. For man, I can't remember exactly, 12-16 I think.

I think women's sexual peak is a bit higher, probably around 35 or so...for men, there are no peaks after marriage. Just a slow yet steady descent.

All a bunch of bologna! Sexual peak for women at 30 . Try telling older women this.

XSL better watch his back with Lady Pingyuan. She's a sneaky one. I don't trust her words either. As usualy, thanks for the update, Jean!

another magnificent update thank you jean it is highly appreciated on a side note i have been wondering about mei canniang for a while now i like her character hope she turns up back in our heroes life soon......also it will be interesting if xiang shaolong can completely tyurn lady pingyan to his side even against her brother the prince xinli.once again your efforts are highly appreciated much love from me!!!

to continue....

Lady Pingyuan’s eyes was filled with sadness as she slowly explained, “The story will have to start from 20 years ago, which was 3 years before the battle of Chang Ping started. Zhao Qian was only 3 years old then.”

By now Xiang Shaolong is quite familiar with the history of that time and asked, “Is Lady referring to the time the King of Qin sent the ‘king of killing’ Bai Qi to attack the state of Han.”

Lady Pingyuan chuckled, “King of killing? Humph! This nickname is indeed very suitable for that fiend whose hands are stained with blood.”

She sighed and continued, “If the Qins were to invade east, those who will take the brunt first will be our 3 states, Wei, Zhao and Han. Facing the same calamity, feelings run especially strongly so the 3 most powerful officials in the 3 states secretly came to a deal, which is to let the 3 separated states join together and become a strong country while they are still living, which is akin to the Large State in the past. Only this way can they defeat the Qins and become the rulers of the world.”

Xiang Shaolong was stunned, “So they actually had this thought.”

Lady Pingyuan changed the topic, “Do you know why I wanted to marry Prince Pingyuan?”

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself that of course it’s because she thought that Prince Pingyuan could take over the leadership position! However, he said instead, “Is that another political agreement?”

Lady Pingyuan said, “I guess you can put it that way! It is indeed part of an agreement, which is to make use of the marriages between royalty to strengthen the relations between the various Kings.” She continued with a smile, “But the most important reason, is because Wuji and me were very interested in the state of Zhao. Before the battle of Changping, the Zhaos had the world’s best generals and fighters and were unrivalled. The state of Zhao was the first to abandon fighting battles with carriages and instead changed to using cavalry as their main force.”

Wuji is Prince Xinling’s name.

During the Spring-Autumn period, carriages were the main forces used in battles. The war carriage represents a person’s status and ability. Changing the carriages to horses is in fact a revolution of that time, which also changed how battles were fought.

Because the State of Zhao had been in constant battles with the ferocious Xiong Nu* and with their experienced gain from such battles, the Zhaos learnt that these nomadic army who fight mainly on horseback with archery is a lot more nimble and swift in their attacks. Therefore they abandoned fighting with carriages, a way of battle which looks majestic but is in fact useless.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiong_nu

Lady Pingyuan said sadly, “But after Chang Ping, our dreams were rudely shattered, but it also made us believe even more strongly that the only way to survive is to reunite the 3 states. This is the only way to avoid fighting and wars amongst ourselves.”

Xiang Shaolong said, “Those three important officials, naturally it’s Prince Xinling from Wei, Prince Pingyuan from Zhao, but who is the official in Han?”

Lady Pingyuan replied, “I have no wish to say it. In any way they used their influence and decided on a string of marriage agreements between the 3 states. The Empress of Zhao is a Han, and Prince Xinling married a Zhao lady. The marriage of Zhao Qian to the Crown Prince of Wei is the most important one in the agreements.”

Xiang Shaolong finally understood and he slapped his thigh as he said, “It must be that King An Li heard about this and was afraid the unification of the 3 states will make him lose his throne, that’s why he’s going all out to destroy this marriage agreement. But he is the King of Wei, if he wants to go back on the marriage agreement, he only has to say so, why waste so much effort?” He looked at her coldly and asked, “Why does Lady want to destroy Zhao Qian’s virginity?”

Lady Pingyuan’s pretty face blushed slightly and she asked, “Can you not try to settle old scores with me!”

She continued with a sad sigh, “But the situation changed, the early death of Prince Pingyuan has caused the shift of power in Zhao into that fiend Zhao Mu’s hands. That’s why Prince Xinling was forced to return to Wei and start a new round of fight with that useless King An Li, and Zhao Qian’s marriage agreement has lost it’s initial meaning.”

She was deep in thought for a moment, her eyes fixed on Xiang Shaolong before she continued, “In actual fact no one is trustworthy nowadays, but on the surface everyone pretends to be honest in the ways they deal with the world. That useless King An Li has gone back on his words on many occasions, both to people in his own state and outside of it, so how can he go back on his word with the Zhaos. Besides he’s very wary of Wuji, so he will not dare to oppose the agreement so publicly.” She paused and said quietly, “Dealing with Zhao Qian is only a secondary matter, the real person he wants to get rid of is me. Because he knows that when Wuji and I join forces, we’ll be a huge threat towards him, because I have what Wuji lacks, which is viciousness.”

No one understands more than Xiang Shaolong what her last sentence means. Looking at her bright and lengthy eyes, he said quietly, “Why is it that Lady is suddenly being so honest with me, telling me such a great secret?”

Lady Pingyuan’s smooth thighs moved slightly, touching the side of Xiang Shaolong’s buttocks, her pretty face blushing and she said gently, “Because I saw a new ray of hope in you. Unless you do not step foot into Zhao forever, or else you will certainly have to engage in a life and death duel with Zhao Mu. If you can eliminate Zhao Mu, or take over his position, then it will again be possible for the 3 states to unite.” She lowered her voice and added, “But this is not the most important reason, do you want to go on listening?”

Xiang Shaolong felt a headache coming on, he does not know if this is another of her ploy to deal with him. Because after eavesdropping on her conversation with her son the other night, her venomous nature has carved a very deep impression on him. Besides, she dotes on her son so much, so how can she really fall for her son’s enemy and tell him what’s really on her mind?

He thought to himself that if she wants to play games with him, he’ll play along with her. He extended his hand and put it on her thigh, gently caressing her sensitive inner thigh, looked in her eyes and explained, “Of course I want to listen!”

Lady Pingyuan’s eyes revealed an alluring gaze as she lowered her head to look at his invasive hand, saying gently, “Because I want to surrender to you, and beg for your love and pity.”

Xiang Shaolong shifted forward and sealed her fragrant lips, his hands attacking her at the same time. Lady Pingyuan’s body was shaking violently, her tongue cold as ice due to her passion and nervousness. Such unhidden natural reaction served to fuel Xiang Shaolong’s lust.

A cold snort was heard from outside the tent.

The 2 of them were so shocked they separated and looked towards the entrance of the tent.

Prince Shaoyuan lifted the flap and entered, a flash of hatred and anger went across his eyes.

Last edited by Jean; 03-11-08 at 04:03 AM.

aaaaaaaaaawkward.

Or is this part of some twisted plot?

Anyways, thanks for the translation, Jean!
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

extremely akward hes screwing his choren's mom lol love it thanks jean much appreciated always a good night capper

Prince Pingyuan is blocking.

lol@ the cockblocker

It is certainly a different kind of cliffhanger. Thank you so much Jean