Page 3 of 321 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I seriously foresee you translating, translating, translating...then finally going, "F*** this, I'm not translating anymore. I hate this guy."
    LOL... that was what I was thinking as well. If Jean's heart is not in it, she might abandon the notion of further translating. With the way XSL is acting, my only hope is that he will improve in character, or at least have some redeeming qualities. So far, I see none. And I was also thinking of WXB in DOMD

I am sure there are some girls who go for that type of man.
    at least in fiction .... and B rated movies.

Jean - you are awesome!!!!

well so far, besides the basic premise of the story - I have to say that this is entirely different from the TVB version. There are similarities to WXB at age 20 but WXB grew up in a brothel so lecherous behavior is "normal" to him. XSL seems really opportunistic and horny for disciplined military guy. since this story doesn't start in early teens for our hero, i'm hoping for more backstory to see what motivates him.

This guy is basically Xiao Feng's fighting ability combined with Wei Xiao Bao's libido.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

My guess is he's going to get better. Maybe huang yi wanted to show us a typical modern man as a contrast to the "old world". Today we have sex everywhere around us: TV, cinema, ads,... why shouldn't he be horny as a toad? :-)
    And it goes against the usual type displayed in Wuxia stories.
    That he's a military man is just an excuse for learning sword combat really fast, i guess. That's one thing I always wondered about in the TV series. so, this guy is a policeman but he can learn a unioque swordstyle in 3 days? how believable is that? Since it's already stated that he learns weapon combat and stuff, we have an answer...

haha, I'm not giving up.. yet. Am also curious to see how he'll develop.

so now to chapter 3........

Book 1 Chapter 3 – Showing off for the first time

The two of them walked down the hill in the darkness preceding dawn, towards the marketplace beyond the endless hills.

Xiang Shaolong has never felt so much love and infatuation towards any women before. He carried her and ran down. To a warrior like him who has gone through special training, this is as easy as breathing.

However Mei Canniang was extremely surprised, but once she thought that he is a gift from Heaven, she no longer felt bewildered.

Xiang Shaolong asked her effortlessly, “How did you end up marrying that two brothers? Where is your own family?”

Mei Canniang screamed in shock just as he jumped. She patted her chest and her pretty face was blushing from the excitement. She replied, “I live in a place that is 3 day’s journey towards the sun. One day, the two brothers came with 10 tiger skins, 1 bear skin, 50 marten skins, 5 cows and 100 goats and gave to my father in exchange for me. Our tribe has never seen such extravagant gifts, so I married them.”

Xiang Shaolong carried her up by her waist and waded though a 3 meter wide river, thinking to himself that if he has the latest AK47, then he can hunt for tiger skins in exchange for women. He asked her, “How old were you then?”

Mei Canniang held on to his neck tightly and whispered in his ear, “14!”

Xiang Shaolong exclaimed in surprise, “What? That’s below the legal age for intercourse!”

When they reached the main road outside the mountainous area, the sun revealed it’s first ray of light.

This couple who should have been separated by over 2000 years walked closely side by side, chatting happily.

Mei Canniang finally found someone, and after spending the most exciting and romantic night in her life, she was ecstatic. She was pulling Xiang Shaolong like a little girl, kicking her little straw sandals, walking cheerfully. The painful journey in the past has now become an endless joy, and she said with a laugh, “In the past I had to walk at least 20 hours to the market, but ever since someone built this road for military transport, it takes only 8 hours to reach the market. A lot of time has been saved.”

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself, so war can actually promote the development of transportation, and indirectly boost the economy and increase efficiency. So it seems that, in this era, there are advantages to wars.

Hai! A pity he can’t bring anything here. If he has a machinegun, or even a gun, he may become the highest paid soldier in this warring states period.

He can’t help but laugh once he thought of this.

Then he thought of the queen of bars Zhou Xiangmei and Zhang Cuizhi who caused him to end up in this state. And his parents, they always said that he’s unfilial, his 2 older brothers and 3 older sisters are all better than him. Now that he’s gone, he reckons that they won’t be too sad. But he still felt that this is not the case. A pity that he can’t give them a call right now to tell them that he’s safe.

The sound of wheels grating along the ground sounded behind. It turned out to be a mule cart going towards the market, with a dozen or so white sheep on it. On the cart there were an old and a young man dressed as farmers and when they gave a friendly greeting, they were surprised and scrutinized the tall and well-built Xiang Shaolong. In contrast, they weren’t too surprised about Mei Canniang’s beauty.

After the mule cart was far gone, a few horses ran swiftly past and the men riding them were dressed like ancient warriors, on their horses there were bows, swords, axes etc, but they were not from the army.

The two of them avoided them and stood aside.

Mei Canniang spoke in his ear, “These warriors are all for hire. They help merchants transport money, and it’s the most profitable business.”

Xiang Shaolong laughed, “Ha! Finally there’s a job suitable for me!”

Mei Canniang shrieked, “No! I cannot lose a husband like you again.”

Xiang Shaolong was startled and after reassuring her, they continued on their way.

The nearer they got to the market, the more crowded the roads became. Most of them were pushing wooden carts with a single wheel, carrying various goods like corn, millet, sorghum, rice, wheat, garlic, cows, goats etc and all of them were hurrying towards the same destination.

Only now did Xiang Shaolong realize how huge he is. The tallest among the people is still shorter than him by half a head and he looked around complacently, feeling like a crane among chickens.

After another hour, they finally arrived at the market.

40 odd kinds of mud houses, straw houses and stone houses were lined up untidily on two sides, forming a wide street. Various kinds of harvests and animals, buyers and sellers filled the mud road that was about half a mile long, a feeling of festivity filled the air.

They had just stepped into the market when Mei Canniang cried out quietly in fear, “Look! The group of men on the left is the bandit Jiao Du’s brothers. They’re staring at us, what should we do?”

Xiang Shaolong gathered his wits and walked alertly forward.

A group of 10 odd powerful looking men who are obviously the town bullies were standing or sitting in front of a mud house but their eyes were fixed onto them in astonishment.

Mei Canniang continued, “They surely know about Jiao Du looking for me, and thought that I’ve become his woman. So when they saw it’s you instead, they were astonished. Oh dear, we better leave immediately!”

Xiang Shaolong scrutinized the crude metal swords they carried with his professional judgment and gave them a suave smile. He said to Mei Canniang, “My wife, do not panic. Your husband is here, no one will be able to hurt a single hair of yours.” He realized that the words he used is getting more and more similar to what these ancient people uses that he can’t help but laugh out loud.

Mei Canniang was so frightened her face turned pale, and pulled him towards the other end of what you can hardly call a ‘street’.

The two of them melted into the crowd. While others were sizing him up, Xiang Shaolong was taking note of his surroundings without any concern.

All these people from the warring states, just from the way they dressed, he can tell that they came from different places. Regardless of men or women, most of them have a flat face, short, rough skin, very few of them has the same alluring body and pretty face like Mei Canniang. But they all looked simple and honorable, giving others a good impression.

The only exception was the men and women wearing unique red headpieces. Their hats were not like the hats that he’s used to, which covers the top of a person’s head. Instead it covers only the hair, which was tied into a bun, two red ropes hanging down from the side and tied into a knot under the chin.

The men and women of this tribe were not only tall and good looking, the women were fair and wore extremely sexy short tops and skirts which bared the chest and arms. It really was an eye-opener for him and quite unbelievable as well, changing his perception that all ancient people must be conservative.

A few of those young women were exceptionally outstanding, almost as pretty as Mei Canniang, and almost all of them trade in horses.

When Xiang Shaolong made eye contact with the prettiest girl among them, those beauties all made eyes at this fine specimen of a man from another dimension, not at all bothered that his eyes was fixated on their half naked chest and slender legs.

Mei Canniang felt much safer once they’re among the crowd and when she saw his lecherous look, she’s not offended at all. She said quietly, “They’re all from the Baiyi tribe, expert in rearing horses. All the men and women are very good hunters, no one dares to bully them.”

Xiang Shaolong felt his heart itching, but he was pulled into a mud house by Mei Canniang who took over the silk he was carrying and proceeded to do business with the man inside.

Xiang Shaolong took the opportunity to slip out of the house.

“Dang! Dang! Dang!”

Copper bells sounded in the biggest stone house opposite, and someone shouted, “Quality horse for 30 coppers! Quality horse for 30 coppers!”

Xiang Shaolong was curious and walked forward. On the stairs of the large house stood ten over huge men wearing similar clothes as those riders they met on the way here. One of them wore a tall headpiece, his clothes were comparatively more splendid, a difference of heaven and earth with the coarse clothes worn by the farmers.

He may have good eyesight, but from a distance of over ten meters, he can only see that person has a square face and large ears, with a solemn look, and carried with him an air of affluence.

There was an immediate commotion in the market as the horse traders all squeezed forward with their horses and the situation was chaotic.

Right at this time, he heard a cold snort next to him.

By the time Xiang Shaolong was aware, those brothers of Jiao Du have already surrounded him heavily.

Last edited by Jean; 10-07-07 at 08:51 PM.

Xiang Shaolong May Be A Lecher But I Guess He's Like The God Of Men In The Past The Only Man Willing To Please His Women Rather Then Just Take Their Own Personal Gratification Love Mei Canniang As Well Though Im Guessing She Will Have A No Good End Just Cause Shaolong Needs To See The Harshness Of The Past And To Get Him On The Road To Handan, Also I Get The Feeling Unlike Tvb Where He Gets Two Wives And From His Point Of View Thats Bad Enough He Will Have Like A Semi-Harem Of At Least Like 5 Women Judging From the Speed With Which He Picks Up Women.Like How He Is Infatuated Wit Mei Canniang Quite Entertaining!!!

I really can't see XSL changing!! haha.. but one thing is certain, that trouble is going to follow him all the way!! haha.

Thanks Jean!!

XSL is totally not the hero i was expecting, but the story is very interesting so far. again, i can't help being reminded of WXB in the horny/lecherous dept. i just wish the hero possesses better qualities so i can root for him.

you're doing a fantastic job, jean. i'm definitely intrigued by all the events so far. different from what i'm used to reading, but so far, so good. btw, i miss reading about XYE in LS LOL

If Wong Jing was ever to remake the series, my guess is we will see a lot more naked oder semi-nude women *g*

I love this story so far because it's really funny. Maybe I dig stories with bastards who are full of themselves :-) Just like Duke of Mount Deer. Love the WXB character because he is so uncoventional.

You are doing a real good job, Jean! Please, never stop! Just 297 more chapters... hell, you can even write some of your own ;-)

There was no updates over the weekend, because for those who followed my postings from LS and knew about my sick dog, he went to the rainbow bridge on Friday.

Below are the translations I wrote on thursday, so posting them up now. It's the end of Chapter 3.

He unhurriedly took 2 steps back, and pushed Mei Canniang back into the house just as she was walking out. He asked quietly, “Does one have to go to jail for murder here?”

Mei Canniang asked in surprise, “What is jail?”

Xiang Shaolong rephrased his question, “Does anyone care if someone gets killed?”

Mei Canniang understood a little and replied, “Besides their own tribesmen, no one else will bother.” She then added, “You’re not going to fight with so many of them right? They have swords! I can give them the money I’ve just bartered for.”

Xiang Shaolong was assured and thought, in this time period, nothing is more useful than strength and martial arts. All the tough training he had in the past will not go to waste at all.

One of Jiao Du’s brother shouted, “Mei Canniang! Where is Big Brother Jiao? And who is this stinking man?”

By now those people on the street are starting to realize that something is happening here and all came forward to watch the show. Even that well dressed man who is here to buy horses and his men all stopped their trade and walked towards them.

Xiang Shaolong, who is used to creating trouble and fighting was assured and he laughed loudly, “Your Big Brother Jiao has been killed, come over if you want revenge.”

Mei Canniang was so frightened that she shivered and hugged him tightly from behind.

The expression on their faces changed at the same time and with a ‘swish’ they all pulled out their swords.

Xiang Shaolong slowly pushed Mei Canniang away and pulled out the hatchet from his waist. Immediately there were sighs and pitying noises coming from the crowd, saying that he does not know his own capability, actually using a hatchet to block swords.

2 burly men rushed towards him with their swords raised, slashing towards him from the left and right.

The crowd screamed, and one of the Baiyi beauties who were making eyes with Xiang Shaolong covered her eyes, not daring to look further.

Xiang Shaolong roared and his hatchet swung forward fast as lightning.

In his nearly 10 years of strict training, there is a saying that anything can be used as a weapon. These two men in front may be brave and ruthless, but he does not take them into account at all. He can even easily defeat them empty handed, much less with a hatchet in his hands now.

“Clang clang”, the long swords were swept away. Xiang Shaolong ran forward like an arrow, his left fist punching a man’s face, his leg giving a flying kick towards the other man’s groin.

The two of them immediately cried and fell down, their long swords dropping from their hands.

Xiang Shaolong then retreated to where Mei Canniang was, his hatchet held in front of him, with a combat ready pose, shouting at the shocked crowd, “Come!”

The rest hesitated, not one of them dared to lead the fight. They have never imagined that there are such swift and vicious attacks.

Xiang Shaolong gave a long laugh and leapt out like a ferocious tiger, his hatchet slashing down and was embroiled in a battle with those 20 odd people.

He moved swiftly so that the enemy has no chance to group together and in no time they all fell to the ground, either felled by his punches or his kicks.

The crowd kept cheering for him, obviously they’ve had enough of those bullies.

When Xiang Shaolong became the ultimate winner, he picked up the best sword smong the pile and tied it to his waist.

The crowd cried out, and a few people rushed forward followed by the rest of the crowd. They picked up sticks or hoes or similar weapons and starting hitting those bullies on the ground. It seems that in the face of public fury, none of them will be able to survive.

Mei Canniang ran over and hugged him tightly, exclaiming, “Heavens! You’re really brave! I will never have to fear bullies again.”

Xiang Shaolong hugged her and walked towards the other end of the street and asked nonchalantly, “Have you found out how to get to Handan?”

Mei Canniang replied, “There’s some who have heard of this place, but do not know how to get there.”

Footsteps can be heard behind them and someone called out, “Brave man, please hold your steps!”

Xiang Shaolong turned around while still hugging Mei Canniang and saw that man dressed in fine robes who was buying horses walking towards them.

Xiang Shaolong, Mei Canniang, and that well dressed man sat down on the floor in a big room.

Xiang Shaolong studied the man, and guessed that he’s about 40 years old, his features gives an impression of intelligence and his skin smooth. Obviously he has never done any manual labor in his life and compared to the farmers at the market, it’s like the difference between a city man and a poor country man.

That man introduced himself, “I am Tao Fang, one of the 12 servants of Master Wu. Brave hero, your accent sounds strange, I wonder where you’re from?”

Xiang Shaolong said, “My wife and I are both from Mulberry Village. I wonder if Master Tao has invited me here for some deals?”

Tao Fang looked perplexed, obviously not understanding his choice of words, so he could only guess part of the meaning. Luckily he’s used to trading with various tribes, so he nodded and said, “Is brave hero interested in earning a large sum of money.”

Xiang Shaolong looked at Mei Canniang.

She gave a sweet smile and nodded, indicating that she has no objections to any decisions he makes. To her, a man’s words are orders.

Xiang Shaolong felt released from the binds of military rules, and feeling carefree, nodded, “Would Master Tao please enlighten me!”

Tao Fang leaned forward and said excitedly, “With brave hero’s marvelous skills, you can block 100 men with ease. If you agree to become my bodyguard, I can pay you 50 coppers every month, what do you think?”

Mei Canniang exclaimed “Ah!”, grabbed his arm and uttered, “That’s enough to sustain us for one year.”

Xiang Shaolong took a whiff at her face and replied, “The offer is very attractive, but we’re planning to go to Handan!”

A hint of a smile appeared at the corner of Tao Fang’s lips and he said calmly, “Hero must not have heard of the great name of out Master Wu. He is the finest ‘King of Livestock’ in Handan. After collecting enough horses all over the place, we will send them to Handan. If hero will become my bodyguard, won’t it be killing two birds with one stone.”

Xiang Shaolong replied joyously, “But I’m going to bring her along!”

Tao Fang looked at Mei Canniang and laughed, “Don’t worry! Besides buying fine horses, we also purchase beauties from various places, so there’s no problem at all if hero wants to bring your beauty along.” He furrowed his brows as he looked at his clothes and continued, “I’ll order someone to clean up a place for you and your wife to rest as well as get you some new clothes. We’ll return to Handan at the break of dawn tomorrow. What weapons do you use, if it’s swords, I’ll immediately give you a good sword made by an old blacksmith in Handan. You can throw away the one you picked up earlier.”

Xiang Shaolong burst out laughing, and asked “How long will it take to get to Handan?”

Tao Fang has obviously taken a liking to him and replied without irritation, “On a fast horse, about 10 days. But the way we are going to travel, and having to purchase horses and beauties on the way, we’ll take at least a month.”

Xiang Shaolong was in a good mood, and once he thought that he’ll be able to find Emperor Qin in Handan, he immediately said there’s no problem.

So this matter was thus settled.

Tao Fang ordered someone to bring him to a camp near the market. The person who led the way is Li Shan, also a bodyguard. He was very impressed with his skills, so naturally he was extremely respectful.

The camp was heavily guarded, with a guard in front of the 30 odd tents, either to prevent the beauties from escaping, or to prevent thieves.

Next to the camp there was a temporary erected horse enclosure, with more than a hundred horses kept in there.

Li Shan introduced Xiang Shaolong to the head of the bodyguards Dou Liang. The fierce looking warrior sized him up coldly and said disdainfully, “Since Brother Xiang is so capable, I must exchange pointers with you when I have the chance.” After he spoke, he eyed Mei Canniang lecherously, obviously disregarding Xiang Shaolong’s presence.

Li Shan was a little embarrassed and led the two of them to a tent at the edge of the camp and left after a few words.

The two went into the tent.

Mei Canniang lowered her head and did not speak, but it was obvious she was troubled.

Xiang Shaolong hugged her and said gently, “There’s no need to be afraid of that Dou Liang. Sooner or later I’ll find a chance to teach him a lesson. I, Xiang Shaolong is not afraid of any bullies at all.” And he can’t help but think of Black Faced Deity.

Mei Canniang said quietly, “City folks are all deceitful, I’m afraid I won’t be used to that kind of life.”

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself that modern folks are a hundred times worse than you ancient people, but he assured her, “With me to protect you, what is there to fear?”

Mei Canniang’s eyes reddened, collapsed into his arms and cried piteously, “Everyone who lives in Mulberry Forest Village are good people, our lives fulfilling, getting better year by year. And now that the bullies Jiao Du and his men are dead, it’ll be even more peaceful. Husband! Why don’t we return there to stay, happily until we grow old and die, and I’ll have children with you, isn’t that better?”

Xiang Shaolong sighed secretly, he’s so used to indulgences in life, how will he ever get used to such a life. He said gently, “Why don’t we do this! I’ll borrow 100 coppers from Tao Fang, that’ll be enough for your living expenses for 2 years, and I’ll forge a path in Handan. Once I am successful, I’ll come back for you, won’t that benefit both of us?”

Mei Canniang stammered, “Won’t it mean that I’ll have to part from you?”

Xiang Shaolong replied, “At the earliest it’ll take a few months, the latest one to two years, I will definitely return. Don’t forget that I am sent by Heaven, so I’ll definitely not die.”

Mei Canniang wailed, and just when Xiang Shaolong was at a loss, she came to a decision and tearfully agreed to Xiang Shaolong’s suggestion.

Once they thought of the impending parting, the two of them engaged in joyous acts in the tent until dinnertime, when they left the tent to join Tao Fang for dinner. He brought up the topic of paying his salary in advance and without a second word, Tao Fang gave him 200 coppers straightaway. Xiang Shaolong can’t help but feel impressed.

But that head of bodyguards Dou Liang was extremely jealous.

Tao Fang asked in passing again Xiang Shaolong’s origins, but Xiang Shaolong still insisted that he’s from Mulberry Forest Village, so Tao Fang did not press the issue.

Early that night they returned to the tent and continued in their engagements until the next morning. After an unwilling parting, Mai Canniang returned to Mulberry Forest Village alone while Xiang Shaolong followed Tao Fang towards the unknown Capital of Zhao, starting on his journey to look got Emperor Qin.

jean, so terribly sorry to hear about your dog . at least your dog will no longer feel pain. my deep condolences.

thank you for not forgetting about us. the story is definitely picking up.

the two of them engaged in joyous acts in the tent until dinnertime,

and continued in their engagements until the next morning

Say, Jean. Do you find it fun or tiring when trying to figure out how best to put those scenes in English?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

My condolences for your dog. Hopefully he wasn't in any pain.

And thanks as usual for your translation.

Sorry about your dog, Jean and as always, thank you for the hard work.

Oh My God I Thought For Sure Something Would Happen To Mei Canniang But Im Pleasently Surprised Nothing Did Looks Like He Allready Has One Addition To His Harem Lol Love This Series To Death!!!Sorry To Hear About Your Dog Sad That Dogs Don't Have A Chance To Live As Many Years As Their Owners Can Get Quite Attached To Pups T_T Thanks For Going Out Of Your Way To Post This Translation During Such An Event And Happy Thanksgiving To One And All [Maybe Thats Just In Canada... . ... Don't Know But Anyways Yea Love This Story Absolutely Nothing Like The Series If I Was To Read This Novel Before Watching The Series I'd Most Probably Delete It In Disgust Im Still Hoping For A Tao Feng Though And Im Assuming That The Series Having A Qin Qing Who Looks Like His Old Women Xiao Qing Wasn't Just Made Up Probably A Girl Who Looks Like Or Is An Ancestor Of Their Military Secretary or The Queen Of The Bar In Here Anyways Thanks For The Trans Highly Appreciated!!!

Unhappy

I'm sorry too... but maybe it's best that way.

Thanks Jean for the translation, and you have our condolences.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Sorry about your loss, Jean.

new chapter

Book 1 Chapter 4 – Surrounded by Danger

They walked for less than 2 hours when it started raining heavily.

The 100 odd warriors wore their straw raincoats, escorting 12 horse carriages and almost 200 fine horses and moved forward with much aplomb.

Xiang Shaolong thought about Mei Canniang, thought about her tears as she parted, and felt an indescribable sadness. He almost had the urge to turn back and look for her but he remembered he had taken 200 coppers from Tao Fang and stopped himself. He is not someone who will go back on his words. He must at least work for a few months as a bodyguard.

The rain only stopped at dusk and the entourage stopped and pitched tents. 60 odd young girls came out of the horse carriages, all of them young and beautiful. A few among them were exceptionally pretty, comparable to Mei Canniang.

Although they all looked tired, but they were all in high spirits, not like slaves who have just been bought at all. They even helped to cook and talk and laugh with the warriors, which baffled Xiang Shaolong.

The girls realized that now there’s another handsome man, Xiang Shaolong, so they all made eyes at him. A pity that he has lost the mood to flirt because he missed Mei Canniang and instead he went for a walk outside the camp.

The wilderness after the rain was crisply green, the air refreshing.

Xiang Shaolong can’t help but feel sentimental.

No matter how pretty nature is, how alluring the world in front of him is, but surrounding him was undeveloped land, endless forests. It’s only the beginning of man’s destruction towards nature. But by the 21st century, they have reached the end of this path of no return, and humankind had to suffer the consequences.

If he has the power to change all these, would history be re-written?

“Shh!”

Xiang Shaolong was startled.

Amidst the rustling leaves, a Baiyi girl wearing a sleeveless top and short skirt, which revealed her rounded thighs, jumped out. It turned out to be the prettiest Baiyi girl he met the other day at the market.

She went to him excitedly and looked up to him, saying, “I’ve been following you for 2 days and nights.” She pulled him and said nervously, “Escape quickly!”

Xiang Shaolong pulled her into his arms instead and holding her tightly by her waist, kissed her lips.

The Baiyi lady reacted fierily, even hugging his strong neck, not at all shy.

Xiang Shaolong is believing more and more that women of this era, once they meet a man they like, are more direct then women from the 21st century, and felt his spirits lifting.

The Baiyi girl left his mouth, her pretty face blushed an endearing red and said hurriedly, “My name is Xiu Yi, come back with me to Mount Baiyi! If you follow those Zhao people to Handan, you’ll certainly be killed by Hui Hu and his group of horse thieves.”

Xiang Shaolong listened to her melodious voice, enjoying her voluptuous body, and his desire was just rising when he was suddenly shocked and asked, “What did you say?” In reality he only understood about 30 to 40 percent of her words.

The Baiyi girl Xiu Yi slowed down and said each word clearly, “A few days ago, our tribesmen received news, Hui Hu and his 800 horse thieves were preparing to lay an ambush for the Zhao people at Dashi Valley to steal their women and horses. If you go with them, you’ll surely be killed. They’re a lot more formidable than Jiao Du and his men.”

Xiang Shaolong finally understood, his two ill-mannered hands continuously caressing her chest and buttocks and laughed, “Don’t worry! I have a way to deal with them.”

Xiu Yi smiled coquettishly, using her chest to press against him and her arms to rub against him, asked with a smile, “I know you will not abandon your friends to save your own life, I shall not force you. But I’ve given you such useful information, how are you going to thank me?”

Xiang Shaolong smiled bitterly, “Besides copper coins, you can have anything else.”

Xiu Yi disentangled herself from his arms and turned a circle in front of him, saying with a flirtatious smile, “Everyone says that I’m pretty, do you agree? I still do not know your name!”

Xiang Shaolong stared at her, all his worries gone and replied, “I’m Xiang Shaolong!”

Xiu Yi repeated it a few times, and suddenly loosened her clothes, revealing a fair body that can make any man dizzy. She said with a smile, “Would this be prettier? The men in the tribe all love to look at my body.”

This is the first time Xiang Shaolong has seen a girl like that, he breathed in deeply and ordered, “Come here!”

Xiu Yi threw herself into his arms, and as she took off his clothes, she moaned, “It’s always men who have begged me, but this time I’m begging you. Come! Lover! I have not gone home for 2 days, if you did not come out I’d have gone into the camp to look for you.”

Xiang Shaolong returned to camp all relaxed and looked for Tao Fang. He pulled him to a corner and told him everything that just happened.

Tao Fang’s expression became very somber and after a while, reached out and placed his hand on his shoulder and said, “You have saved my life this time. The problem now is not those horse thieves, but there’s a spy among my people.”

Xiang Shaolong nodded, “Master Tao must have kept the route you’re taking to Handan very secret, not many will know about it. So if Hui Hu knows that you will be passing by Dashi Valley, there must be a spy who supplied him with this news.”

Tao Fang was extremely surprised at his quick wit and complimented him, “I was right about you. Not only are you good looking, but intelligent and brave as well. Good! As long as I am still in power, I will not treat you badly.”

Xiang Shaolong laughed to himself, it’ll be more like it if Emperor Qin said these words to him.

Tao Fang hesitated for a moment before saying, “The spy must be Dou Liang. There’s two reason why I’m so sure it’s him. Firstly he excused himself from the group for two days, so he must have met up with Hui Hu. Secondly, out of the few who knows our route, he’s the only one from Wei, and people from Wei cannot be trusted.”

Xiang Shaolong was perplexed, “Since the Weis cannot be trusted, then why did you employ him?”

Tao Fang replied, “Shaolong, you have been living in the mountains, naturally you’re not familiar with the situation in central plains.”

Xiang Shaolong replied earnestly, “I really want to know!”

Tao Fang explained, “We have to start the story from the partitioning of Jin into 3 states, that was the beginning of the division of the whole era. It was said that the powerless King of Zhou isolated the states and after the split, Wei, Han and our Zhao kingdoms were forged and no one paid any heed to Zhou. If the past can be described as a peaceful stream, now it’s a torrential river. The change within the last ten years almost equals the change that has happened over the last 100 years. Those who are incapable will be ousted.” And he can’t help but sigh as he spoke.

Xiang Shaolong cannot imagine that a horse trader like him would be so knowledgeable, and felt the urge to tell him that no matter how they struggle or fight, Emperor Qin would be the one who unite the world in future. But of course he can’t say it out loud, and even if he did, no one would believe him. So he tried to get some information, “Is Qin the strongest and biggest state now?”

Tao Fang looked at him in surprise and said slowly, “Ever since Qin used the reformative policies suggested by Gongsun Yang*, from the Wei ruling family, they’ve indeed become stronger and wealthier. They even destroyed Zhou 5 years ago but also incurred the wrath of the everyone else. Therefore after our state’s great general Le Cheng, Yan She defeated Qin’s army badly and 3 years ago Wei invaded and captured Tao Ju, Qin’s most important city in the east, their strength was greatly diminished.” He was obviously still concerned about the matter of the spy and was not in the mood for further discussion so he said, “Shaolong! I want you to kill that spy Dou Liang for me.”

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shang_Yang

Xiang Shaolong patted his chest and said, “Leave this to me, but if the wrong person was killed, won’t the enemy be even happier.”

Tao Fang smiled coldly, “You’re new here, Dou Liang have not figured out your background. You could test him with words, I’m sure he’ll fall into the trap.”

Xiang Shaolong secretly thought that he’s smart, and nodded his head in agreement.

Tao Fang’s attitude to him changed totally and said, “Anyone from Wei can be killed. It’s only recently that I found out that he’s from Wei, and have decided to stop using him after the completion of this task, but I did not expect him to strike first.” He took out an exquisite sheathed dagger and handed it to Xiang Shaolong, saying, “Make it a clean job, after this I’ll tell others that I sent him somewhere else on a mission. This dagger is made by a famed blacksmith specializing in making swords in Yue, and can easily cut a strand of flying hair. I’ll give this to you, let it drink it’s fill of that Wei thief’s blood.”