Page 44 of 321 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494144 ... LastLast

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

yes - much better than TVB adaptation!!

Question?
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Is Han Fei the guy that was portrayed by Power Chan who was dressed in rags at the dinner party - I believe it was Longyang's residence? the part where XSL displays his knowledge of the world by counting tree rings?? I hope that was TVB invention - they seem much more intectual here.

another highly enjoyable update here jean much appreciation!!!also finally yi jinran has been introduced i cant beleived she is described as being so beautiful that they were all like dogs with their tongues lolling also i hope shaolong has a chance here to show some of his intelligence from the future as well as his accurate "assumptions/predictions" based on his knowledge of history!kind of nice that this part is a little more then just sex and fighting so far this novel is absolutely nothing like the movie which i loved untill reading this translation once again i must offer my sincere kowtows to the sheer effort you have put into translating thisa novel

IMO, XSL using info he learned from the future to show off is sorta "cheating". I am excited to see how he reacts to all the philosophical talk.

Jean, you make the week so much more enjoyable. If I were in your shoes, I probably won't have the patience to translate until AFTER I finish the novel.

Ha, I would do this like in the TVB series:

Take out a piece of chocolate and pass it out.

And ask them if they can make it.

Anyone know if the book is describing if there are chairs?

In the TVB series:

They all sit on the floor and eat with their hands...

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

And we mustn't forget the piece of wood for wiping LOL!

The tv series had some highly funny moments.
    Last edited by tweety365; 04-08-08 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    And we mustn't forget the piece of wood for wiping LOL!

The tv series had some highly funny moments.
    That is BY FAR the funniest scene. I was dying laughing...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4995&stc=1&d=120768895 2')
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    yes - much better than TVB adaptation!!

Question?
    Is Han Fei the guy that was portrayed by Power Chan who was dressed in rags at the dinner party - I believe it was Longyang's residence? the part where XSL displays his knowledge of the world by counting tree rings?? I hope that was TVB invention - they seem much more intectual here.
    Nope, he was Li Si.
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

I don't remember chairs being described.... they seem to be seated on rugs/ cushions everytime.

And to continue.... end of chapter, here comes XSL the philosopher!

Ji Yanran looked towards Xiao Weimou and raised her brow, asking, “This gentleman is…”

Xiao Weimou puffed out his chest, like an animal looking for a mate and said loudly, “I am Xiao Weimou from the state of Qi, I wonder if Miss have heard of me?”

Ji Yanran was enlightened, “So it’s Mister Wei who advocates learning from beasts. May I ask, if men and beasts are the same, won’t the world be thrown immediately into chaos?”

Now that Xiao Weimou has a chance to show off his knowledge in front of this beauty, how can he give up this chance so easily, so he smiled and said “Miss has lived mostly in the city, naturally you would not understand the world of animals. The wilderness has been my teacher for many years and I have observed the lives of beasts and birds and have concluded that only if we go with nature’s flow will we not betray Heaven’s decree. We can enjoy the life given to us under the greater law of nature. If we were to try and suppress our nature, it will only cause more harm than good and will make one become a hypocrite whose thoughts are not in conjunction with one’s actions.”

Ji Yanran looked at him with concentration, her expression showing that she’s thinking about his words. Xiang Shaolong secretly thought oh no, this beauty is obviously very curious about things and very easily attracted by new and unique theories. If Xiao Weimou was to possess her, he would feel the pain and unfairness of it, so he can’t help but blurt out, “How can man and beasts be the same? Even different animals have different ways of living.”

Xiao Weimou laughed coldly, “They can live differently, but their nature remains the same.”

Naturally Xiang Shaolong will not show any courtesy towards him so he stared at him and said smilingly, “The difference between man and animals, is that we are not restricted by our innate abilities and desires; we can even sacrifice our own precious lives for the greater good. Animals walk on all fours, but we can stand up and because we need not use our hands to walk, they’ve become nimble and can make things like this house and all other necessities. Do animals have that ability?”

Obviously Xiao Weimou has done some research on this question so he mocked in reply, “You’re talking about abilities, not innate nature. Birds can fly but can humans fly? Fishes can live underwater but can humans live underwater?”

Xiang Shaolong is definitely not a philosopher, but now that he’s spoken, he cannot back down and have to forge his way through, “I am talking about innate ability. Because human brains are different from animals, we can think and reflect. Besides food, clothing and lodging, we also need mental stimulation; but for animals everything is about survival, they sleep after eating and mate when the time is right. Animals in nature are at a loss and can only react but man can fight against nature and defeat nature. That’s because man has a different innate nature, we know how to improve and expand, that’s how we are now above animals.”

Xiang Shaolong’s not very excellent argument is widely known in the 21st century, but for the people in this era, it’s a new idea and this made Ji Yanran immediately change her opinion of him.

Obviously Xiao Weimou has never thought of this question and he replied angrily, “What’s the difference, I’ve seen both animal and human brains, they’re all just made of tissues and flesh!”

Xiang Shaolong chortled, “You have just spoken about the greatest difference between humans and animals. Would animals analyze the difference between their brains and human brains?”

For a moment Xiao Weimou was dumbstruck, fury flared in his eyes and he wished he could tear Xiang Shaolong alive.

Although Zou Yan does not agree with Xiao Weimou’s wild theory that humans should emulate aimals, but they’re both from the State of Qi and he does want to put Xiang Shaolong down in front of Ji Yanran. Therefore, he tried to pick a bone from an egg and retorted, “Brother Xiang earlier said that the difference between humans and animals is that we can stand up, then gorillas and monkeys all can stand and walk, how do you explain that?”

Xiang Shaolong was stunned, and thought to himself that he can’t possibly explain to them about evolution. Luckily his mind worked quickly and he had an idea, “The difference is in the construction of the brain.” He touched his forehead and said, “Primates do not have forehead like us, so they can only concentrate on immediate matters and won’t think about tomorrow. But we can arrange and plan for tomorrow’s matters, or even plan for matters a year or ten years from now.”

In truth Xiang Shaolong’s thoughts and arguments are already in a mess, but everyone knows that gorillas really do not have foreheads, so they all thought his reasoning logical.

Ji Yanran clapped and chuckled daintily, “How exciting, I’ve not heard such an interesting debate like this for a long time.”

Her pretty eyes flitted towards Xiang Shaolong and she asked with a sweet smile, “This gentleman here, please forgive Yanran for not knowing who you are yet!”

Xiang Shaolong was stunned and secretly lamented. He could not tolerate it further earlier and thus came up with a nonsensical debate, and he hopes that she has not really taken a liking for him.

We have Wu Chair in Sui Tang that is 7th Century, Wu Chair are back of a chair without leg. People still sit on rug but lay back on Wu Chair.

wow... excellent! thankyou jean

He touched his forehead and said, “Primates do not have forehead like us, so they can only concentrate on immediate matters and won’t think about tomorrow. But we can arrange and plan for tomorrow’s matters, or even plan for matters a year or ten years from now."

ROFL
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

He shouldve just dropped some Darwinism on em...."BTW, you know we all come from monkeys...." LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    He shouldve just dropped some Darwinism on em...."BTW, you know we all come from monkeys...." LOL!
    Technically, it's ape. But your comment is still funny...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jean
    Although Zou Yan does not agree with Xiao Weimou’s wild theory that humans should emulate aimals, but they’re both from the State of Qi and he does want to put Xiang Shaolong down in front of Ji Yanran. Therefore, he tried to pick a bone from an egg and retorted, “Brother Xiang earlier said that the difference between humans and animals is that we can stand up, then gorillas and monkeys all can stand and walk, how do you explain that?”

Xiang Shaolong was stunned, and thought to himself that he can’t possibly explain to them about evolution. Luckily his mind worked quickly and he had an idea, “The difference is in the construction of the brain.” He touched his forehead and said, “Primates do not have forehead like us, so they can only concentrate on immediate matters and won’t think about tomorrow. But we can arrange and plan for tomorrow’s matters, or even plan for matters a year or ten years from now.”

Heheh, way to "bull shiet" yourself out of a mess (of an argument) and into the lady's eyes. Nice going philosopher XSL.
    Last edited by Namdynamo; 04-09-08 at 01:34 AM.

Thanks Jean. Great update.

Just by saying man and animal are different, XSL already got a hottie. No wonder back then no one had the time to invent the chair. It seems like they spend all the time either fighting or hooking up. Love it.

Life is so much simpler.

Thanks, Jean!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    “Primates do not have forehead like us, so they can only concentrate on immediate matters and won’t think about tomorrow. But we can arrange and plan for tomorrow’s matters, or even plan for matters a year or ten years from now.”
    Quoth Shakespeare via Hamlet,

What is a man,
    If his chief good and market of his time
    Be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more.
    Sure, He that made us with such large discourse,
    Looking before and after, gave us not
    That capability and god-like reason
    To fust in us unus’d.
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

Lol, I like XSL's BS'ing to get out of the sticky spot.

Still, I don't think philosophy like that wasn't thought up already back then. After all, the Greeks were great philosophers way back when and I'd have thought the Chinese would be at least par =D. But I won't let that get in the way of story.

and to continue....

Book 4 Chap 2 – Chu Mohism’s Fu Du

Ji Yanran asked about Xiang Shaolong’s background and Prince Xinling hurriedly replied, “This is the No. 1 swordsman from the state of Zhao, Xiang Shaolong, remember that, Yanran.”

Ji Yanran looked at Xiang Shaolong with a smile before turning her attention back to Han Fei. Although Xiang Shaolong breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that she has not ‘taken a liking’ to him, he can’t help but also feel dejected, as if hurt. What a dilemma.

Tan Bang went closer to Xiang Shaolong and whispered, “This is Ji Yanran’s rule, only she can ask a person’s name and status. I’ve been here more than 20 times but she has never asked who I am. Shaolong, you’ve already left an impression on her.”

Xiang Shaolong felt a man’s pride surging up. He thought to himself that since he is not wooing her, why does he have to react to her moods but on seeing her only talking and laughing with Han Fei while the rest can only look on, he felt a sudden fury. Of course he felt a little left out and jealous as well so he stood up.

Prince Xinling was stunned, “Shaolong! What are you doing?”

Ji Yanran turned around and looked at him, a flash of light seems to pass her pretty eyes, obviously she only realized his perfect physique and outstanding aura now.

Xiang Shaolong pretended to be candid and said with a laugh, “Miss Ji is indeed a born beauty, it is my fortune to meet you, farewell!”

Ji Yanran was a little startled, then she seemed to understand his thinking and said with a slight smile, “How many days will Mister Xiang be staying in Daliang?”

Xiang Shaolong saw that she has no intention of making him stay at all and was secretly furious and felt a great loss of face but he pretended to be nonchalant and said simply, “Maybe a few more days!”

Prince Xinling and the rest had no choice but to stand up and leave with him.

On the way back to Xinling’s residence, Prince Xinling ranted in the carriage, “Shaolong do you know what a good opportunity you’ve missed? It’s rare that Ji Yanran is all smiles, for all you know she may play the zither and sing for the guests! Hai!” His words carry a great regret, obviously Ji Yanran’s singing and zither skills is extraordinary.

But what Xiang Shaolong is thinking of is the vicious look Xiao Weimou gave him when he left. This person is not one who has only brawns but no brains, and he has many capable men under him. He is indeed in a very dangerous position now.

After returning to Prince Xinling’s residence, he went to Lady Ya and she immediately pulled him into the room and said, “I’ve made contact with Wu Zhuo and Cheng Xu and told them your instructions. Wu Zhuo wants me to tell you: He doesn’t know if their spies in Daliang has been embroiled in Prince Xinling and Lord Longyang’s fights because of this matter, so they have been in hiding and refused to make contact with him. Now we can only rely on ourselves. He also said he’ll try to find a way to sneak into the city.”

On hearing this Xiang Shaolong’s mood turned for the worse and he collapsed on Lady Ya’s rugs.

Lady Ya came up and helped remove his shoes, saying gently, “Ya’er has found the entrance to the underground tunnel, how are you going to reward me?”

Xiang Shaolong sat up in joy and pulled her into her arms. After giving her a good kiss on the lips, he said, “Lady is really capable!”

Lady Ya happily nibbled on his ears before telling him in detail the entrance to the tunnel. She sighed and continued, “Stealing ‘Lu Gong’s Secret Manual’ may not be difficult, but the difficult part is leaving the state of Wei and avoiding the pursuing soldiers. ‘Lu Gong’s Secret Manual’ is such an important item, Prince Xinling will surely check on it daily and once he find it gone, he’ll naturally think that we’re the ones who took it.”

Xiang Shaolong also felt this to be a headache.

Right at this time Prince Xinling sent someone to summon him over immediately.

The guard led him to the inner hall which he had overheard Prince Xinling and his sister’s conversation the other night, and after they were all seated, Prince Xinling said seriously, “An Li has given his imperial edict, he wants you to send Zhao Qian into the Palace the day after. That night he will throw a feast to welcome you as the ambassador.”

Xiang Shaolong felt a lurk in his heart, he knows the crucial time is about to come.

Prince Xinling lowered his voice, “Lord Longyang will use the excuse to exchange pointers about swordplay to kill you. The person who will fight will certainly be that Xiao Weimou, in that way An Li and Lord Longyang need not be responsible because Xiao Weimou is a guest from the state of Qi.”

Xiang Shaolong secretly lamented, if it’s a proper duel with Xiao Weimou, chances of him winning are really slim. Just based on arm strength alone, he’s already on the losing end.

Prince Xinling said quietly, “Lord Longyang hates you to the core right now, he’s definitely not going to let you leave Daliang alive and because he has the backing of the King, I’m afraid even I cannot protect you. Shaolong do you have any plans?”

Xiang Shaolong was secretly cursing Prince Xinling but he sighed and said, “What can I do? I can only take one step at a time.”

Prince Xinling sized him up for a moment before taking a deep breath and said, “If Shaolong wants to avoid the calamity and at the same time enjoy endless riches, there is only one way. Do you want to know?”

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself, “It’s coming!” But he pretended to be attracted and said, “Please advice!”

XSL is really starting to think he's god's gift to women.

Starting? Lol.

Thanks for translating! More, more!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

yeah ending always incite starting. but I still don't know how XSL resolve this deadly situation.. sigh.... thankyou jean