Page 47 of 321 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

yea, i dont really blame JYY for being arrogant..

to counter the attitude of men at that time arrogance is needed..

besides what smurf120 said about her gathering great minds like that is also true..

if she doesnt put on an air of offence at XSL leaving in the midle of her gatherings and being that rude (kinda rude to leave a hosts party mid way through) then wont she lose face infront of the rest of her guests?

thanks Jean, Great Novel!

Quote Originally Posted by little Fish View Post
    yea, i dont really blame JYY for being arrogant..

to counter the attitude of men at that time arrogance is needed..

besides what smurf120 said about her gathering great minds like that is also true..

if she doesnt put on an air of offence at XSL leaving in the midle of her gatherings and being that rude (kinda rude to leave a hosts party mid way through) then wont she lose face infront of the rest of her guests?

thanks Jean, Great Novel!
    Exactly.

I also think the one to blame at the moment is XSL, not lady Ji. He is the one that disrespect the host as well as other guests by leaving the party early twice just because she wasn't paying attention to him enough. Who does he think he is, no man has ever done that to her before.

He is the one acting with a lot of arrogance, not lady Ji.
    Last edited by Namdynamo; 04-17-08 at 08:00 PM.

Just because she doesn't swoon and fall off her feet for XSL doesn't make her arrogant.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Seems like a lot is to like about her. I can't wait to see what it is.. the suspense.

Once again, thank you Jean for bring such a great story to live via english.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

to continue.... and also end of chapter...

Lord Longyang has not made enough ‘fun’ of him yet, so how can he bear to let him leave. He also spoke up to make him stay.

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself that he can’t be bothered if Ji Yanran is happy or not because to her, he’s just an unimportant guest whose presence will not be missed. He was about to leave when he realized that Han Fei was tugging at his sleeve seriously so his heart softened and he sat down.

Ji Yanran exclaimed happily, “Now that is how a man should be. Mister Xiang seems to be deliberately holding back your opinions, Yanran really wants to hear your theories!”

Xiang Shaolong laughed bitterly to himself, thinking that Miss Ji really thought too highly of him. Compared to the rest, he’s just a bumpkin, where can he find theories to expound.

Xu Jie has been on the upper hand the whole night and secretly thought that he may be able to gain the liking of the beauty, so he will not let go of the chance to show off. He forced an attack and said, “In Mister Xiang’s opinion, which is better, governing by virtues or legalism?”

Xiang Shaolong saw the look of contempt in his eyes and was furious. He decided to forge ahead and said, “It’s not a question of better or worse, but a question of whether it works or not. Governing by virtue is purely idealism, if everyone in the world is a saint and there are no evil men, then everyone will obey the law without the use of any methods. But the truth is, the situation is obviously not like that, and it will never become a fact, that’s why we need a set of laws and guidelines that everyone is aware of to restrict everyone and make them obey. Only after this is achieved can we talk about virtues and respect. That’s all I have to say.”

Everyone was shocked. To someone from the 21st century, this is a logic that everyone understands, but for people in that era, this is even more in-depth and refreshing than Han Fei’s theory of legalism.

Ji Yanran’s pretty eyes lighted up and she scrutinized Xiang Shaolong afresh, chewing on his words.

Han Fei looked deep in thought, unconsciously nodding his head.

Zou Yan was silent, as if he’s thinking of some questions.

Naturally Xu Jie would not admit defeat so easily but he no longer belittles his opponent and he said with a straight face, “If a country is governed only by law, won’t the person in power be able to suppress and bully the weaker ones with punishment?”

Bai Gui commented, “If the government loves propriety, the people will not dare to be disrespectful; if the government loves righteousness, the people will not dare not to follow them; if the government loves trust, the people will respond with their emotions. This is the way a ruler should govern. If one were to prefer punishment, what would the people become? Mister Xiang please enlighten us.”

Xiang Shaolong chortled and after taking a long look at Ji Yanran, turned towards Bai Gui and Xu Jie and said, “That’s just because legalism is not thorough enough, to put the power solely in the hands of the ruler! If everyone is equal in front of the law, the son of heaven… heh…. The ruler who commits a mistake will face the same punishment as commoners. For example if anyone who kills someone without a reason will be punished, who would dare to kill randomly? I did not say we should discard propriety and righteousness, these should be the basic principle behind any law. The true way to govern a country is to combine governing by virtue and legalism. Absolute power will only result in absolute disintegration.”

When he talked about ‘the ruler will face the same punishment as commoners’, Ji Yanran went ‘Ah’ while Han Fei’s eyes immediately brightened. The others, including Xiao Weimou, all revealed looks of shock and alarm. Especially the last few words, is like a morning bell sounding, resonating deeply in everyone’s heart.

For the people living in this era where the rulers are supreme, this is indeed a mind shattering theory.

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself that that’s all the argument he can muster out, if he says some more there’s bound to be mistakes so he stood up and said, “I have already revealed all my worthless thoughts. Hei! I still have something important to do, farewell!”

Ji Yanran furrowed her brows and said angrily, “Mister has just told us the most interesting part and you are leaving? Do you dislike Ji Yanran?”

Zou Yan forcefully dragged him back to his seat and laughed, “Commander Xiang has piqued my interest in talking! I would like to ask how such legalism which includes the ruler as well should work?”

Lord Longyang said, “Brother Xiang’s theory on governing a country is even more ideal than the governing by virtues which we talked about!”

Xiao Weimou laughed icily, “And more impractical as well!”

Xiang Shaolong smiled bitterly, “Yes! It will not work now but if we work towards this direction, one day there will be a situation where power is divided into 3, the legal system, law enforcers and government. The ruler will be chosen by the people and only then will there be… hei… French… ai! No, real live, equality and freedom.”

He almost wanted to blurt out about the French Revolution but luckily he caught himself in time and swallowed his words.

These words were even more earth shattering and everyone could not digest the information at once. For people who have been living such a long time under the absolute rule of the kings, this is such an unacceptable thought yet at the same time extremely exciting and refreshing.

Xiang Shaolong saw that everyone was furrowing their brows and thought what a better time to leave than this. He stood up and immediately walked far away from the table before bowing and saying, “I was speaking nonsense, please don’t take it to heart.” He turned around and left, ignoring Ji Yanran’s calls.

Last edited by Jean; 04-17-08 at 09:09 PM.

haha...
    XSL at his best.
    Hmm... isn't French system: judicial, people's representative and the government?

Thanks Jean.

I am with XSL. If I want to leave, I would get up and go. No buts or ifs.
    A sec wasted on things that you dont enjoy is a sec wasted in life.

Hahahaha, when you think XSL is down and out, he comes back stronger than ever, akin to turning around from a 30 points deficit to win a basketball game. That's the XSL we all love.

That 2000+years of knowledge is really put to good use this time isn't it? Good job philosopher XSL. That's the way to impress a lady.

These last few installments are suppose to be really hard to translate, good work Jean.

Never thought I would regret Fridays...but being hooked to this translation is making me dread them ..Awesome translator!!

XSL better be careful he doesn't spread too many modern ideas. He may change the course of history in China!

Ahh, Nooo! Don't stop here, Jean... You're so cruel...
    You are not what you think you are.
    But what you think, you are.

actually legalism,virtue,ruling ......these concepts vary with time....in some instances, purest democracy also wont work....thnx jean

Maybe, Han Fei's way of thinking influenced by this XLS 胡说八道 ?

Thanks for the translation Jean, unfortunately today is Friday ..... waiting for you in Monday ....

Thank you Jean

I'm not suprised that XSL once again came on top of things. Go hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Gubrak View Post
    Maybe, Han Fei's way of thinking influenced by this XLS 胡说八道 ?

Thanks for the translation Jean, unfortunately today is Friday ..... waiting for you in Monday ....

hahaha, maybe the maidens back then like men who are 胡说八道.

But I am waiting for some action, either outside or in the bedroom....

And, I am still waiting to see what this girl Ji Yanran is so good at, since so many members are backing her up.

Have a good weekend Jean.

^ I agree the only thing JYR has done so far is irritate me by continuing to refer to herself by name. This is a great plot though, and very clever way to finally let a little of XSL's futuristic knowledge be of use without affecting the story too much.

Don't worry, be happy.

Ji is voted second most beloved female lead in all HY's book, and she is the only rep of this book.

Quote Originally Posted by akolaw View Post
    Don't worry, be happy.

Ji is voted second most beloved female lead in all HY's book, and she is the only rep of this book.
    Link pls.

Han SOlo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I hate the weekend, 2 days befor i see the next update...
    grrrr rage

MMM hey guys has any one thought about putting any of these stories into audio files ? with like charecter vioces and things ? i recon that would be a mean project...

Quote Originally Posted by aliderhamy View Post
    I hate the weekend, 2 days befor i see the next update...
    grrrr rage

MMM hey guys has any one thought about putting any of these stories into audio files ? with like charecter vioces and things ? i recon that would be a mean project...
    I hope there will be some sexy sultry lady voices. These ladies are hard to come by.