Page 49 of 321 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

yeah recover quick and rest well jean...we'll wait

ok, back guys.... as promised... a long update

Xiang Shaolong realized that Zhichun is actually one of the 2 concubines he brought with him from Zhao.

That warrior came to the stairs and came face to face with Xiang Shaolong and he cried out, “Ah!” It turned out to be the other expert family warrior who is of the same status as Pu Bu, Liu Chao.

Xiang Shaolong was about to throw out his flying needle but hurriedly stopped when he saw it was him.

Zhichun’s voice called out, “Liu Chao! What’s the matter.”

Liu Chao collected his thoughts and after exchanging a look with Xiang Shaolong, replied, “Nothing! I just happen to see a rat scurry past and was surprised.”

Women are most afraid of small animals like these and Zhichun is no exception so she called out, “Prince is hungry and Xiaoying and the rest are already asleep. Can I trouble you to go to the kitchen and get them to prepare some food.” After saying this she ran back into the room as if she’s running for her life.

Liu Chao came up and whispered, “We were just talking about Commander. Why is Commander here, is there anyway we can help.”

Xiang Shaolong made up his mind and told him about stealing the ‘Secret Manual’.

Liu Chao saw that Xiang Shaolong puts so much trust in him and replied happily, “Commander please wait for a moment!”

He went back and after informing the other 3 warriors, he asked Xiang Shaolong to come out.

Xiang Shaolong instructed one of them to go to the kitchen and order some food, then he searched the hall carefully first, followed by the rooms. He found the secret entrance to the tunnel under a rug.

Liu Chao said, “Commander, put your mind at ease and go down! We’ll keep a look out for you!”

Xiang Shaolong had an idea, “It’s best that you go down with me, if there’s a need you can put it back in its original position.”

Liu Chao gladly agreed and together they grabbed the copper rings and lifted up the stone slab and after walking down 10 odd flights of stone steps, came to the secret tunnel. One side of the tunnel leads towards Prince Xinling’s inner hall while the other end leads to the back of the mountain. Obviously it’s a secret tunnel that can give safe passage to escape from Prince Xinling’s residence because no one will expect that there will be an escape route at that dangerous mountain.

Liu Chao took a lantern and after illuminating the tunnel, the two of them walked towards the direction of Prince Xinling’s bedroom.

When they came to another set of stone stairs which led up, Xiang Shaolong stopped and carefully scrutinized and knocked on the walls of the tunnel and realized that there’s something different about one of the walls.

The two of them tried pushing but the wall did not move at all.

Xiang Shaolong had an idea, and started inspecting each brick and realized that one of them is slightly protruding. He tried pulling it with his strength and the brick came out immediately, revealing the keyhole inside.

The 2 of them were overjoyed and Xiang Shaolong took out his tools for picking locks and following Lady Ya’s instructions, opened the lock in no time at all.

When they pushed open the door and under the illumination from the lantern, the both of them were stunned. It turned out to be a treasure trove.

In the large underground stone room there were more than 10 chests of jewelry and money. They opened 2 of the chests and under the reflection of the lamp, the jade pieces, gold and silver all glittered and blinded.

Xiang Shaolong said quietly, “Don’t let the other 3 know about this until we have a plan to leave Daliang, then we’ll take a few pieces for our traveling expenses. Remember you must not have thoughts of greed. Men have died for wealth and we could even lose our lives.”

Liu Chao is indeed a heroic man and after this reminder, he replied sincerely, “Well spoken, Commander! I understand.” At the same time he felt growing respect for Xiang Shaolong as a person who is not easily moved by money.

Xiang Shaolong searched quickly and after some time he managed to find an even more secluded secret compartment at the corner of the wall and took out a rectangular metal box. He opened it, and indeed it is the ‘Lu Gong’s Secret Manual’ which was tightly wrapped in cloth that will prevent it from rot or moisture.

He unrolled the scroll for a look and was relieved, because the silk on the drawings were so old it’s turned yellow and it’s more than 30 meters long. It’s so thick and heavy that even if he’s Prince Xinling, he won’t be bothered to check the scroll from start to end every time. Therefore his plan is sure to work.

He took a closer look and saw that was full of drawings of various tools for attack and defense, with detailed instructions on materials used, the quantity needed and the process of making it. It’s indeed breathtaking.

There’s not much time left so the 2 of them left hurriedly.

When Xiang Shaolong woke up, Lady Ya and the 8 maids were still hard at work. The sun is not yet up.

Lady Ya has already bounded the fake scroll with a section of the real scroll, and used some minerals and colorings to stair the sides of the scroll yellow. It looked so authentic, no wonder she’s an expert in duplication.

Xiang Shaolong only had to work under the cover of night and take the ‘Secret Manual’ which only has the authentic front section, and easily slip it back into the secret room. This should be a very difficult task but because of Liu Chao’s help, it became an easy job.

When he returned to Lady Ya’s place, the sky is slowly brightening. Lady Ya and the rest were exhausted and were resting on the bed.

Xiang Shaolong hugged her and slept for a while until Prince Xinling sent someone to look for him. He hurriedly washed up and left.

Prince Xinling seems like he had not slept the whole night. Maybe he’s trying to pretend to be on close terms because he received him in the side hall of the inner chambers. After they were seated he laughed and said, “Because of your matter, I did not sleep the whole of last night and I finally found an appropriate arrangement.”

Right at this time a pretty maid came in to serve tea and Prince Xinling ordered, “I have things to discuss with Commander, no one is allowed to step in here!”

The pretty maid acknowledged the order and left.

Prince Xinling asked in passing, “Did you manage to stir the interest of Yanran last night, I heard Lord Longyang and Xiao Weimou went to the feast as well.”

Xiang Shaolong sighed, “Don’t talk about it! There’s no way I can butt in a word at such a gathering!”

Prince Xinling disagreed, “That’s not true, your ideas is very creative, even Tan Bang admires you!”

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself, what’s the use of admiring me when you’re still sacrificing me as a stepping-stone towards your success.

Prince Xinling saw that he was quiet and asked, “Has Shaolong taken breakfast?”

Xiang Shaolong rubbed his stomach and shook his head.

Prince Xinling cried out, “Attendants!” Then he slapped his own forehead and sighed, “I’m really muddleheaded, I just chased everyone away. You sit here for a while, I’ll go and instruct someone to bring breakfast.” He stood up and left.

Xiang Shaolong was overjoyed and jumped up, firstly aiming towards that inner room, the one that looks like an office that was filled with scrolls and such. At the side there is a side door and outside there is a huge open-aired well and behind the well there is a place, which looks like a pool for bathing.

There’s not much time so he pushed open the side door and indeed it is Prince Xinling’s bedroom. He took a hurried look so naturally he cannot find the entrance to the underground tunnel.

He walked forward hurriedly and lifted up the rug on the bed for a look. The entrance to the secret tunnel appeared before him. The strange thing is that there is a copper pipe poking out from the ground towards the bed, and the other end is a dragon’s head made of copper, looking like as exquisite design on the head of the bed.

Xiang Shaolong immediately felt cold sweat and hurriedly returned to the hall. Prince Xinling came back right at this time and was smiling, “Breakfast will be served shortly, come! Let me tell you my plan!”

But what Xiang Shaolong was thinking about was that copper pipe, it’s obviously a listening device for the tunnel and the secret chamber. Noises from in there will travel through the pipe to Prince Xinling’s bed and the design was intricate. Luckily he did not sleep last night, that’s why he did not hear him moving around.

Prince Xinling said, “I will order someone to fake a document and will send it to his Majesty today to let Zhao Ya and the rest of the entourage return to Zhao, leaving only you and Zhao Qian. Zhao Ya is my invited guest, so Lord Longyang has no right to object.”

Xiang Shaolong thought to himself, you can say all you want now, with your power, letting them go is an easy task. At the same time he knows that the fact is he will not let a single person leave, but he’s just putting on a show. He pretended to be ecstatic, “That’s really great, but can we let them leave earlier?”

Prince Xinling first revealed a look of difficulty before saying, “If I can’t even do such a small thing, Shaolong will surely belittle me. All right! I will arrange for Lady Ya and the rest to leave the city this afternoon and meet up with your troops before departing immediately. Shaolong need not worry.”

Xiang Shaolong was secretly laughing to himself as he asked, “How do we solve Zhao Qian’s problem then?”

Prince Xinling replied, “I will send someone to impersonate as her so that you can send her to the palace, then I’ll find a secret place to hide her. I, Prince Xinling, vow to Heaven that regardless if the plan fails or succeeds, I will send her safely back to Zhao unharmed.”

Xiang Shaolong secretly thought him formidable, as this would mean he has a hostage in his hands and need not fear Xiang Shaolong not following his instructions. Even if he fails and is captured, he would not dare to reveal the mastermind. He has indeed thought of everything.

Breakfast arrived.

As Prince Xinling watched him eat, he asked with a smile, “Is Shaolong pleased with these arrangements?”

Xiang Shaolong pretended to be extremely grateful, “Very pleased, I will certainly not let you down!”

Prince Xinling looked as if he’s already succeeded and laughed heartily. He saw that Xiang Shaolong has no objections to him holding Zhao Qian and thought that he trusts him implicitly, so his suspicions towards Xiang Shaolong totally disseminated.

Just as the both of them are thinking their own thoughts, a servant came to report that Ji Yanran has come to look for Xiang Shaolong.

The 2 of them were equally stunned. That Ji Yanran would come personally to a man’s place to look for him, this is indeed the strangest thing that can happen in the world.

Welcome back Jean. I hope you are all better.

Great LONG update. wow.

You are too good to us.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

i'm happy to see u're getting well jean.
    since u were sick, i should give u a present to make u happy according my custom.
    but this is exception, i give u nothing.
    thanks for the present

thanks Jean! your the best! =)

Thanks Jean.

Thank you so much Jean and get well soon!

another highly enjoyable update jean thanks for taking the time to translate this magnificent novel i am truly loving it!!!! can't wait to see what happenes next with yi jinran this must comes as quite a shock to Prince xinling yi jinran actually showing up in person to meet Shaolong. .. . .. . not just xinling but the whole state of wei will probably be in shock it must be due to the method kchill mentioned!!! ^_^ anyways you are still my heroine/goddess/messiah please keep up the good work!

to continue....

A strong look of jealousy radiated from Prince Xinling’s eyes and he tried to cover it up with a dry cough and said, “Shaolong you better go and see her! For all you know she’s taken a liking to you!”

However Xiang Shaolong was furrowing his brows instead. He has a lot of things to be done today and they are all important matters regarding life and death. No matter how attractive Ji Yanran is, he cannot waste time on her.

As he was thinking, he followed the servant to the hall in the outer chambers.

Ji Yanran was wearing a white fur cape, standing quietly and delicately in front of a large window looking at the beautiful scenery of the woods outside. She did not even have a maid with her.

There was no one else in the hall but all the back doors and side doors were filled with guards and maids who were squeezing there to steal a look at her. Obviously her attraction is akin to a superstar in the entertainment industry in the 21st century. Luckily there’s no such thing as autographs in this era, or else her pretty hands will have to be kept busy.

Xiang Shaolong came up behind her and said quietly, “Miss Ji!”

Ji Yanran turned around prettily and smiled sweetly at him, “Can you spare some time?”

Looking at her smiling face, Xiang Shaolong does not have the heart to reject her, so he nodded, “If it’s just a while, there’s no problem.”

When Ji Yanran heard that it’s only a while, she stared at him with sadness and anger before saying quietly, “Then follow me!” And walked towards the main door.

Xiang Shaolong was feeling perplexed, where is this beauty going to take him?

The horse carriage left Prince Xinling’s residence by the main door and rode towards the east. Xiang Shaolong stole a look at her pretty side view, devoid of all cosmetics, radiating with the glow of youth. Her dainty body was fragrant, extremely captivating.

Ji Yanran suddenly said, “Absolute power will only result in absolute disintegration. This is the first time Yanran has heard such intelligent words that goes straight to the point. Mister is really brave. After you left last night, everyone, including Yanran, lost the mood to talk. Yanran has not slept the whole night, and kept on thinking about every word that Mister has said, and thinking of how confident you look when you said these words.”

Xiang Shaolong secretly lamented that he didn’t mean for things to turn out like this. There is no time to talk to her about love and relationships.

Ji Yanran’s face turned cold and she asked, “Why did Mister Xiang come with Prince Xinling to see Yanran?”

Xiang Shaolong very much wanted to say this is Prince Xinling’s arrangement and he’s got nothing to do with it. But how can he bear to hurt this great beauty so he sighed, “Does Miss Ji ask this question to all your guests who come due to your fame?”

Ji Yanran sighed quietly and said gently, “Mister Xiang is the first person that Yanran wants to ask this question to. Tell me truthfully, do I make you irritated, that’s why you’re always in such a hurry to leave and now you’re thinking of how to leave this carriage?”

She rolled her eyes at him and continued, “I’ve never seen someone as unfathomable as you, keeping all your words inside you and only revealing some knowledge only when forced to the wall. How Yanran wish we can talk into the night, letting our words flow freely!”

Xiang Shaolong was relieved to see that she has not fallen in love with him, but just curious and would like to find out more about his ideas. Of course, if he were to launch an attack now and recite a few theories from the 21st century to make her happy, he may very well be able to get her heart. He can only lament that he has the intention but not the ability to carry this out, for he has to quickly make contact with Wu Zhuo and Pu Bu to arrange the urgent task of escaping from Daliang.

The carriage stopped.

Xiang Shaolong looked out the window in surprise. They have come to an empty space in the woods and there was no one around at all.

Ji Yanran extended her fair hands and lightly pushed his shoulder, a look of excitement in her eyes as she said, “If you don’t find Yanran too irritating, then please get off the carriage!”

Xiang Shaolong was all the more perplexed, what has finding her an irritant got to do with leaving the carriage?

Due to her urging, he went down the carriage in a daze.

Ji Yanran told the burly man who drives the carriage, “Go somewhere far away, you can only come back an hour later.”

After the man obeyed his orders, Ji Yanran removed her white fur coat, revealing the warrior’s outfit underneath. For a moment Xiang Shaolong’s eyes shone, looking dumbfounded at the outline of her body and her imposing air.

Ji Yanran drew the sword at her waist and said with a coy smile, “Xiang Shaolong! I am here on his Majesty’s order to kill you, get ready!”

Xiang Shaolong was shocked, “Miss must be joking!”

Ji Yanran’s face was icy, her eyes sharp and she humphed daintily, “Who is joking with you? Look out!”

Xiang Shaolong saw a flash of sword in front of him and dared not hesitate so he pulled his sword out as well. With a ‘dang!’ he blocked this beauty’s forceful attack. He can feel that his opponent’s attack is strong and she does not lose out to men in arm strength at all but what shocked him further is that his opponent’s sword seems to have stuck to his which made it difficult for him to execute his sword moves.

lol..

i bet she wasnt sent by his majesty.. i bet its just a way to force him by putting him against the wall to test his sword skills..

I hope you are feeling heaps better, Jean. I'm sure all readers care more about your health than the updates, so get plenty of rest.

With all that said, I'm loving the suspense. Was Lady Ji #1 or #2 fighter in Wei ? I forget ...

Nice one Jean, I knew a while ago that you would stop at this juncture.

You are such a tease Jean.

Magnetic sword? If only XSL was using his wooden sword.

I think it's just sensitivity in higher martial arts where one keeps contact and reads the opponent.

now it is nice to read that there is some one who can fight XSL and dint get attracted to him till now ......... but who knows? he is the Hero...

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I hope you are feeling heaps better, Jean. I'm sure all readers care more about your health than the updates, so get plenty of rest.

With all that said, I'm loving the suspense. Was Lady Ji #1 or #2 fighter in Wei ? I forget ...
    I think she's #1.. Which means this is going to be interesting.

Tweety's right about your health, Jean - make sure you're better!

She's no.2. Lord longyang is no.3.

This is exciting! I wonder how our hero will be able to get out of this...

Quote Originally Posted by eliza bennet View Post
    This is exciting! I wonder how our hero will be able to get out of this...

Good plot twist. I love the way the story hints at elements of the 21st century against the historical backdrop -- talking about autographs and such. Glad you're feeling better Jeanie!

Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick but I just want to note here that "Absolute power results in absolute disintegration" is probably from the phrase "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".