Page 59 of 321 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109159 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 6420

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Jean, do we get an extended update today?

I am a little greedy today. Have a great weekend.

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

As Jean said by yesterday:

At least it's not friday.
    So, today I can still read another piece of your great translation?
    Anyway, thanks Jean. I really enjoy reading your translation.

oops... sorry guys... have some problems walking today so I took a day to stay at home. Translated files are in the office.

Oh well, at least I didn't stop in the middle of the fight, if there's any consolation.

Jean, you have to take good care of yourself. #1 thing is your health. I do hope you will feel better and get to enjoy the weekend. Besides, you totally deserve some time off for doing such a wonderful job. We all greatly appreciate it! Now go get some

Please get better soon Jean. Health is very impt. Have a great weekend.

Jean your a celebrity to me...
    so im very curious about your health and other such things.
    i dont mean to be rude or anything... but if you ever feel like talking about it feel free. reading about you is as interesting to me as reading about Zhang Woji or yang guo or guo jing, or for that mater hong roung .
    hope you have a good weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    oops... sorry guys... have some problems walking today so I took a day to stay at home. Translated files are in the office.

Jean,
    So does that mean you do your translations while at work?

haha... don't worry about tha walking part, it's nothing serious. Actually I'm preggie right now and into my 3rd timester, shopped too much at a baby fair on thur and I think I strained myself, so it was painful when I got up on fri due to the
    weight pressing down on the pelvis.

I'm actually due end Jul, so if around that period I suddenly disappear, don't get too worried. Most likely the baby popped.

And yup, I do my translations in the office in between work. It's sorta a break for me.

But after baby comes, I'll be on maternity leave for 2-3 mths at home, so depending on how bored I am stuck at home or how crazed I am by lack of sleep, the updates may or may not be as regular.

So be warned guys.

haha... don't worry about tha walking part, it's nothing serious. Actually I'm preggie right now and into my 3rd timester, shopped too much at a baby fair on thur and I think I strained myself, so it was painful when I got up on fri due to the

I'm actually due end Jul, so if around that period I suddenly disappear, don't get too worried. Most likely the baby popped.

And yup, I do my translations in the office in between work. It's sorta a break for me.

But after baby comes, I'll be on maternity leave for 2-3 mths at home, so depending on how bored I am stuck at home or how crazed I am by lack of sleep, the updates may or may not be as regular.

So be warned guys.
    Congrats Jean, and best of wishes for you, baby and family.

Pls take care of yourself, and rest more. You will need it.

Han SOlo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

so legacy of great translators is set to continue...
    guys we should organise a baby present for Jean through han solo.
    make like a small bank fund through donations and send out a present.
    nothing big... like some kinda wuxia Ratal or something...
    just a smart arss idea.

You guys may not know me very well since I don't comment very much, but I'd very much like to participate in this, if something is worked out. Congratulations Jean!
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

OMG! CONGRATULATIONS, JEAN!!!

So exciting with a on the way. Do you know if you will have a girl or boy? Well, you'll be doing a lot of and due to all the

Gosh, overload of the smilies . Best wishes to you and your family. Definitely no rush on the translation. Just drop us an update when you have the chance. You will definitely be busy.

Congrats Jean and to Jean Jr.

So be warned guys.

Wow, my respect for your endurance with this effort has now quadrupled. Congratulations on your impending blessed event!

glad to hear that jean! hope you'll be fine.

aw guys... thanks for all the concern

tweety, it's a girl

and so to reward all of you for your nice words and patience, no cliffhangers today, the entire fight is right below (it's a short one tho)

All these Mohists were highly skilled but they did not expect that an unknown Wu Zhuo would kill one of their men in such a short time. They were all furious and charged upon him and for a moment the air was filled with a murderous aura. Xiang Shaolong who was following closely behind Wu Zhuo went into the state of Mohist swordplay, every move his enemy makes is very clear to him. Because their swordplay all came from the same source, he is very familiar with his enemy’s attack and could even see their loopholes and inadequacies.

He roared as Flying Rainbow pierced and pricked madly in his left hand while in his right hand the Mohist sword slashed and sliced heavily, his left and right hands actually executing 2 different styles of fighting and strength, gentle and harsh at the same time. A furious fire burned in his eyes but his expression was cool and calm, as if he’s another person altogether, his aura extremely imposing. As the weapons clashed, 3 Mohists were struck down at the same time, one of them injured by Wu Zhuo’s bars while the other 2 were naturally felled by Xiang Shaolong.

A loud shout came from Xiang Shaolong’s right side. An especially tall and huge Mohist who looks like he’s of a higher rank came out from behind a tree, leaning forward and running furiously. Under the torch his metal pole glittered and was aimed towards Xiang Shaolong’s heart, the aim accurate, vicious and swift. Xiang Shaolong saw that he revealed no loopholes at all as he moved and knows that he has met an expert in Mohism. He dared not be lax and with his left hand he executed one of the Mohist’s 3 killer strikes ‘Defending instead of attacking’ with Flying Rainbow. He moved his sword back, it’s tip quivering, where his next attack will be still an unknown as he dealth with the 2 Mohist coming towards his left. He executed ‘Attacking instead of defending’ with the Mohist sword on his right as the sword seemed to turn into a beam of light and curved forward like a swimming snake as it engaged his opponent’s metal pole.

The Mohist swordplay is useful as it allows a single person to fight against overpowering numbers so although he was dealing with attacks from 2 different sides, he was not at all confused. Also it relies on intuition rather than the eyes so that even if one’s eyes were covered, he can still fight with the enemy. In such dark surroundings with only a few torches illuminating things at the perimeter, it’s even more beneficial to Xiang Shaolong. That Mohist with the pole did not expect Xiang Shaolong to suddenly execute such an exquisite move and only felt his frighteningly strong pole attack which is akin to a dragon bursting out of a cave, upon meeting his opponent’s wooden sword, felt like a clay ox entering the water, empty and surreal, without any strength at all.

He was surprised and reflexively pulled his pole back and retreated when he realized there’s a sharp pain on his stomach. It turned out that Xiang Shaolong has given a flying kick to his fatal point. Although his tolerance for pain is 10 times more than the average warrior, he still howled in pain as he fell backwards, never to climb up again. Naturally this kick has got nothing to do with the 3 killer strikes of Mohism, because for someone from the 21st century, naturally he will not stick so strictly to the rules.

The 2 Mohists on the other side thought that Xiang Shaolong is now on the defensive so they waved their swords to attack but did not expect that with a sudden glare of light, one of them had their right hand chopped off at the wrist while the other was struck in his thigh and as the retreated screaming, they knocked into the others advancing behind them and the situation was chaotic for a moment. Who would have expected Xiang Shaolong’s swordplay to be so precise and vicious, a total deviation from the gentle nature of the Mohist swordplay.

Wu Zhuo’s performance was not any worse either as he forced his way between 2 enemies, his hands moved to the middle of his metal rods as he executed close bodily moves. Although his enemy managed to slash him slightly on his arm, at the same time he pierced through one of his enemy’s chest while another enemy’s ear was hit by the end of the metal rod.

In a short moment they have advanced a few feet. They heard a twang behind them. They hid behind a tree at the same time as an arrow shot past. Although they’ve killed many of their opponents, but the Mohists still continued to advance towards them from all directions in waves and the situation was not to their advantage. Xiang Shaolong saw that the situation was not right and returned Flying Rainbow to its scabbard and he reached into his robes to pull out the flying needles, shooting them continuously. This move was greatly unexpected by the others and for a moment quite a handful of people fell to the ground.

His opponents saw that wherever Xiang Shaolong waved his hand at, someone will be injured or killed, like magic and they all hurriedly hid behind trees. The 2 of them dared not hesitate and advanced towards the darkness and in a moment was hidden deep in the forest. The Mohists were all thrown off but they still gave chase.

Now there’s another problem. With such running and in the darkness, how are they able to see the secret signals left behind by Teng and Jing. Luckily right at this time, the sound of a bird calling was heard from afar on their left, which sounded very authentic. The 2 of them knows it must be that mischievous and tricky Jing Jun who is making the sound so they happily made their way towards the sound.

The deeper they went into the woods the denser it became with thick snow, making it extremely difficult to walk. After butting of countless branches, there was a small light in the sky ahead, which dropped like a meteor. It turned out to be Jing Jun who jumped down effortlessly and blinked at them, saying, “This way!” The 2 of them hurriedly went after him as if they’ve found their savior.

The walked up a slope and came to a huge rock. They could almost make out the lights coming from the Guo residence amongst the woods ahead. Teng Yi suddenly appeared on the stone, with one knee on the ground and holding a huge bow in his hand. He looked serious as he scrutinized the human sounds and torches that’s coming nearer. The tree of them went behind him.

Wu Zhuo asked in puzzlement, “What are you going to do?” Teng Yi did not reply. Wu and Xiang were perplexed, they can’t see the enemy clearly in this dense forest, so what is the use of having a strong bow? Down below screams were heard. Jing Jun exclaimed happily, “They fell in!”

Both of them are excellent hunters so naturally they are expert in setting traps. ‘Twang!’ An arrow left Teng Yi’s strong bow and shot into the dense forest. A cream was immediately heard. Impressed, Jing Jun said, “Brother Teng’s ‘Arrow of the night forest’ is famed throughout the Han borders, even a passing rat would not be able to avoid it.”

As he spoke, Teng Yi released 3 arrows continuously with alarming ease and dexterity and every time a shot was launched, a scream will definitely be heard. By now Xiang and Wu realized that there’s no trace of torches below at all. It turns out that Teng Yi has shot all the torch bearers and the torches fell onto the snowy ground and were extinguished. Teng Yi continued shooting his arrows, and each arrow will definitely find a target. Wu and Xiang were utterly impressed and secretly thought that luckily he is not their enemy, or else they won’t even know how they have died.

Teng Yi put down his strong bow and said calmly, “No one will dare to come up now!” Jing Jun jumped up and said, “We’ve tied ropes and cut up a path so we only have to follow the rope and soon we’ll be at the Guo residence for the feast.” Xiang Shaolong did not expect to come out of the Zhao Mohist’s encirclement so easily, and obviously saw that it’s extremely important to have good strategies.

Once he thought that he can now try the prowess of the 3 killer strikes on Yan Ping, he was greatly energized and said quietly, “Let’s go!” The Guo family residence was built on top of the hill, following the curves of the hill. Although it’s not comparable to the Wu stockade’s imposing and strict aura, it boasts of the beautiful scenery that the Wu stockade lacks. In front of the residence there were 2 ancient trees that almost reached heaven, lanterns burned brightly at the front door with more lanterns hung on the walls on both sides, making it look as bright as day. Xiang Shaolong informed them of his name at the door and immediately a middle-aged man who introduced himself as the housekeeper Gao Ang came and led them into the residence personally.

Congratulation Jean, is it your first child?

But be carefull, don't let Mr. Ma to cause you joint XSL in the warring state era, seems that era was not good for female ...

So don't push yourself too hard to translate the novel, just take care of your health, we are waiting for Jean jr to help you on the translation .....

W'll waiting patiently .......

My congrats to the upcoming baby too!

Is that why you are so fast at translating? Because you translate for 2 people at once? Instead of eating for 2? :-D

I am very happy 4 u!

Congrats Jean! The baby is coming very soon - only a couple weeks till July. Get some rest when you need to!

ok... on with the story!

Walking past a stone pathway through a bamboo forest, an imposing looking building suddenly appeared in front of them. Just a look at the building they know that Guo Zhong’s wealth is comparable to those of royalty. Lanterns filled the spacious garden on both sides of the road, the layout complimenting each other, making them feel that the 20 odd feet of long stone path beneath their feet is the middle line in the residence and the opulent building before them is situated right in the middle of this garden.

There are 2 pavilions in the garden, built on top of a rectangular pond with magnificent looking pillars and red tiled roof and at the tip of the roof there’s an magnificent looking cover made of white stone. Exquisite carvings can be seen on the beams. Regardless of the rare flowers and trees, the tiny bridges and flowing water, the quaint pathways, just these 2 pavilions alone is enough for one to appreciate the builder’s taste and skill.

A lot of thought was put into the decoration of plants in the garden, with the main roles delegated to everlasting trees, which can withstand the cold, matched with trees that change with the season and flowers which bloom all year round, making it a lush greenery. Although the garden is now filled with snow, it still makes one think of the beautiful spring/ summer scenery. Once in a while they could see rare rocks brought in from other places, which increased the exquisiteness of the garden. The main residence looked even more imposing among the garden, almost comparable to the Zhao palace. It’s so imposing that it’s almost unbelievable.

Jing Jun who has lived almost all his life in the mountains was dumbfounded and went close to Xiang Shaolong and whispered, “Such a large house, how is one able to sleep in it?” Xiang Shaolong saw that the housekeeper Gao Ang was way ahead of them leading the way and can’t hear their conversation so he replied with a laugh, “Hugging a beauty, do you fear not being able to sleep?” Jing Jun immediately rose his eyebrows, obviously he’s thinking of the program tonight after going back to the Wu residence.

Xiang Shaolong thought of the Zhao palace and can’t help but think of the perished Zhao Ni, remembering how he flirted with her in the royal garden. He felt a sharp pain in his heart and felt like stabbing himself to relieve that heart wrenching pain. Later he still have to put up an act with Zhao Mu, how will he be able to stand it? Teng Yi saw him suddenly turning pale and understood his feelings. He reached out and grabbed his shoulder hard, saying, “The big picture is of most importance.” The 2 of them exchanged a look, and a feeling of camaraderie welled up in them.

Xiang Shaolong suppressed the pain in his heart and forced all thoughts out of his mind as he stepped up the wooden bridge, up the long flight of stairs, into the building. There were 16 tables in the building, split between the left and right side of the great hall. By the time Xiang Shaolong and his men arrived, the other guests are already there. Guo Zhong hurriedly came to welcome them and introduce him to the others. Zhao Mu brought a group of his family warriors to show off and all of them looked fierce and strong, obviously skilled swordsmen. He and his men, 12 of them altogether, already took up 4 tables.

Yan Ping was dressed in white hemp clothing and alone, and for a change he was wearing a pair of straw shoes, an air of a proud and suave loner. If not for the barrier of Yuan Zong’s revenge stuck between them, maybe Xiang Shaolong could have befriended him but now they can only solve the problem using this era’s most commonly used method, which is through fights.

For the first time he met the owner of the Zhao warrior association Zhao Ba. From the name he thought he’d be a huge burly man but in face he is a lot shorter than the average person, but with big bones. Everything was expanding horizontally, wide chest and broad back with an especially thick neck and with his slightly hunched back he formed a very impressionable piece of triangular muscle, making one think that even if you try to strangle him, there’s no way you can manage to cut off his air supply. His complexion was dark, his forehead protruding with a square face and huge eyes. It felt as if he has unlimited strength in his body and as he moved he gave off an imposing aura which created an impression on Xiang Shaolong as well. When he was in the special task force, fighting is as common as eating so he’s good at analyzing his opponents. When he saw Zhao Ba, he immediately put him under the most difficult to handle enemy category.

Four of his disciples accompanied him to the feast and naturally they are all expert swordsmen but what caught their attention was one of them is actually a young lady called Zhao Zhi. At first glance she did not have the beauty to captivate one’s soul but her face hides an indescribable sadness, matched with her shockingly dainty phoenix eyes, slim face and sexy lips, she does exude a womanly charm. Especially when she’s so tall, a head taller than Zhao Ba and only about 3 inches shorter than Xiang Shaolong. Such a tall lady and with a perfect body trained from constant exercising, it makes her look extremely outstanding.

Zhao Ba, Zhao Zhi and their people all behaved coolly towards Xiang Shaolong, only giving a slight nod of their heads during the introduction, not hiding their animosity at all. When Jing Jun can’t help but scrutinize Zhao Zhi from head to toe, the lady looked even more unhappy and a murderous look flashed past her pretty eyes. Jing Jun was so shocked he dared not look at her again. The other 2 guests are obviously Zhao Mu’s main lackeys.

The philosopher Guo Kai looked like a Taoist deity, with an extremely long beard but his eyes were darting and just like what Lady Ya said, he looks conniving but he was the warmest towards Xiang Shaolong compared to the rest. What leaves a deep impression is his feminine and shrill voice. General Yue Cheng and Guo Kai are both about 30 years old, his eyes kept opening and closing and was alternating between lively and lifeless looks. He gives one the impression that he’s engrossed in wine and women, with a slim body and nimble limbs. His military outfit gave him an imposing aura. Both of them have their family servants with them and took up 4 tables.

Coming up next is Guo Zhong’s 2 sons, Guo Qiu and Guo Ting, who looks thoroughly plain. Instead what caught their attention was this intelligent looking person among their family warriors called Shang Qi. His aura and grace exudes the obvious fact that he’s smart and experienced, not someone to be belittled. After a round of introductions, Guo Zhong invited the guests to be seated. Firstly he asked Xiang Shaolong to be seated on the VIP table which is the first table on the right. Xiang Shaolong tried to reject unsuccessfully so he had no choice but to sit at this table meant for the main guest. Seated opposite him is naturally the host Guo Zhong, followed by Zhao Mu, Zhao Ba and Guo Kai.

Seated along the row on Xiang Shaolong’s side is the very solemn looking Yan Ping, followed by Yue Cheng. Guo Zhong’s 2 sons were seated right at the end. The truth is even up to now, Xiang Shaolong has no idea why Guo Zhong would organize this feast. If he was really injured earlier, it would not reflect well on Guo Zhong as well. After a round of drinks…