Page 60 of 321 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 6420

Thread: A step into the past - 寻秦记 - by Huang Yi

Thanks Jean for the update.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

Awwwwwww, Jean, you're having a girl! I tend to favor girls over boys .

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    When Jing Jun can’t help but scrutinize Zhao Zhi from head to toe, the lady looked even more unhappy and a murderous look flashed past her pretty eyes. Jing Jun was so shocked he dared not look at her again.
    LOL... I find Jing Jun's antics very cute. ZZ scared him .
    I suppose it is a positive quality to find beauty in all women.
    I just had to find out if she's another of XSL's women ...

to continue....

Guo Zhong exclaimed happily, “My whole life was spent next to a furnace making steel, now that I’m older, all the heavy work has been passed to my sons. Now in my free time I will trek around the forests, looking at iron mines, studying the making of weapons. To me, nothing is more precious than the hand written records of the late saint Lu Gong. This time Shaolong has returned with the treasure, others may not know what a great contribution Shaolong as made but I am very clear about that. Come! Let us drink a toast to the comeback of great Zhao.” Everyone lifted their cups except for Yan Ping who did not touch the excellent wine on his table at all. Xiang Shaolonh secretly lamented that once Guo Zhong said this, he’s obviously implying that Zhao’s rise and fall will all depend on him. In this era where people fight over power and status, how can such words not around jealousy in others.

Indeed a look of unhappiness flashed past Zhao Mu and Yue Cheng’s faces while Zhao Ba looked ferocious. Only Guo Kai remained smiling while Yan Ping looked totally listless. Xiang Shaolong secretly observed the unique Zhao Zhi, every time she lifted her cup she only took a tiny sip, unlike the others who emptied their cups. Wu Zhuo whispered in Xiang Shaolong’s ears, “Guo Zhong is trying to cause harm to you!” Xiang Shaolong nodded to show that he understood, and said loudly his thanks, “Mister Guo has flattered me. I am just trying my best to follow his Majesty’s and Marquis orders and they gave all instructions. I was just a little lucky and did not fail in my mission. I think this toast should be offered to Marquis instead.” Everyone hurriedly rose their cups towards Zhao Mu.

Xiang Shaolong and his men were of course secretly cursing as they drank, scolding Zhao Mu for being a cruel, conniving thief. That beauty Zhao Zhi did not expect Xiang Shaolong to give such a good reply and a look of surprise flashed past her eyes as she quietly sized up Xiang Shaolong. Zhao Mu’s expression looked better as he chortled and happily;y drank up, as if all the merits should belong to him. But everyone knows that with his character, he will not be so easily taken in by Xiang Shaolong’s words and this superficial happiness is just a show put up for them.

Guo Zhong signaled the housekeeper Gao Ang who was standing behind him and the latter immediately passed the orders down. More than 10 odd pretty maids wearing butterfly looking outfits came out carrying piping hot, delicious food and placed them on the tables and warmly helped the guests top up their wine cups. Xiang Shaolong kept a close eye on Yan Ping and saw that there are only vegetables and rice on his table. Obviously Guo Zhong has made special preparations for his ‘needs’. Guo Zhong chortled and said, “There have always been dance courtesans entertaining my guests during my feasts but since Juzi is willing to give me face today by attending this feast, there are slight changes in the program.”

He clapped his hands hard. Suddenly 10 odd women came out from the 2 side doors at the back, a few of them came to the center of the hall and started performing various dangerous and exciting acrobatic stunts. 2 of the women were impossibly turning somersaults on the shoulders of another 2 women, exchanged places before standing on the shoulders of another girl standing opposite them. Everyone except for Yan Ping clapped and cheered. Jing Jun boasted quietly, “They should clap only after they’ve seen my skills!”

Xiang Shaolong smiled. Jing Jun is after all a big kid and filled with the desire to win. After the women performed their ever changing acrobatics, they retreated out of the hall amidst the clapping of the guests. Guo Zhong smiled, “The person whom we should really cheer is Miss Zhi. The skills of my maids here, were all taught by her.” On hearing that everyone hurriedly cheered for Zhao Zhi, with Jing Jun being the loudest, making one feel at a loss whether to laugh or be angry. Zhao Zhi stood up and quietly acknowledged them, as if she doesn’t care for such admiration at all, giving one the feeling that she has a lot of self-control.

Guo Zhong suddenly coughed dryly and asked Xiang Shaolong seriously, “I heard that there is a slight misunderstanding between Shaolong and Juzi, why don’t I be the mediator and solve this problem.” Xiang Shaolong was secretly hating him. Guo Zhong’s words all seem to be for his good, but in fact he is fanning the flames and trying to incite unhappiness. The reason is of course due to Xiang Shaolong’s relationship with the Wu family. Just a few words and it has put him in an embarrassing situation. Even if he hands them the Juzi token immediately, he will offend Zhao Mu because he has kept the fact that he actually has the token hidden from this evil fiend. But if he does not allow Guo Zhong to become the ‘mediator’, Guo Zhong will have an excuse to deal with him.

DENY, DENY, DENY!
    Even if everyone knows that XSL has the token, they have no proof. Nobody saw him take the token and nobody can verify 100% his new skills came from the token.

I'm liking Jing Jun more and more. He's so funny.

Thanks for the update, Jean.

me too....Jing Jun is like Guo Dalu of happy hero

Hmmm I prefer Teng Yi

Jeans first of all, congratulations on the happy news and my best wishes to you Thank you so much for your efforts!

so depending on how bored I am stuck at home or how crazed I am by lack of sleep, the updates may or may not be as regular.
    Jean from what I understand by observing my friends with children, I think you'd want to spend every minute with the baby There will be no time to be bored!

Hear! Hear! The master translator/story-teller is going to have an heir!!!

WELCOME TO THE CLUB -- Now i know when i teach my children to read and appreciate wuxia, there will be an heir to one the best(if not the best) translators for wuxia addicts like me who don't know how to speak and read chinese!!!

Congratulations!!!

Thanks Jean. GR8 update.

Its time to throw our spiked nets and capture them all....

Wondering where Jean is.

I hope she is OK. maybe the baby came early

haha.. baby is not here yet... was on leave the last few days.

And here's the rest of the chapter!

Luckily Yan Ping said coldly, “Mister Guo it’s too late for you to be a mediator now. Now the problem between me and Commander Xiang can only be solved according to Mohist rules.” Everyone knows without asking that a duel is the only way. How can all these powerful people in Handan not know about the Zhao Mohists trying to ambush Xiang Shaolong, and they also understood that Yan Ping has suffered a huge setback and this has planted an unsolvable enmity between them.

Zhao Mu said, “One is the most esteemed guest of his Majesty while the other is the most doted imperial guard of his Majesty, no one would want to see any side hurt. Why don’t I report to his Majesty tomorrow and let him decide?” Guo Kai and Yue Cheng were secretly chortling in their hearts. Yan Ping is well respected in Zhao and recently he made a great contribution at the city of Fuyi when the Yans invaded them and is now on a same standing as the king of Zhao. If this matter is put to him, the person who lose out will definitely be Xiang Shaolong. How can this wily old fox Guo Zhong not know what they are thinking about.

The animosity between him and the Wu family is not a recent thing and he was the one who revealed to the King of Zhao about Wu Yingyuan and Lu Buwei’s relationship. Now that the Wu family has such a formidable Young Grand-Master-in-law, he has to destroy him no matter what. At first he did not understand Zhao Mu’s stand but after testing him thru their conversation, they immediately came to a quiet understanding. But now King Xiaocheng regards Xiang Shaolong very highly and he has the support of Master Wu as well so they cannot openly deal with this young swordsman who was an unknown but has now become a person of standing.

Zhao Mu first tried the plan of testing the Princess’s virginity but did not expect Empress Jing to have other plans and she helped Xiang Shaolong hide the truth. Therefore he chose the highly skilled Yan Ping who has many expert fighters under him and told him that no Juzi token was found on Yuan Zong in order to cause friction between them. Then he allowed Guo Zhong to organize this feast as a cover, but in fact it’s to create the perfect chance for Yan Ping to kill him. Such ongoing vicious plans is indeed formidable. Once Zhao Mu said that, Yan Ping was the first to object, “I appreciate Marquis kind intention, but the Juzi token is our sect’s ultimate treasure and it cannot be in the hands of an outsider a moment longer. This matter must be settled immediately.” Everyone was secretly happy, knowing that Yan Ping will immediately challenge Xiang Shaolong to a duel.

Zhao Ba laughed loudly and after everyone’s attention was on him, said, “The duel between Commander Xiang and Lian Jin has shocked the entire Zhao region. A pity I was at another place testing the skills of the warriors of the school and could not witness the grand event, which up to now is a regret for me. My men are hoping to witness Commander Xiang’s excellent sword skill. This is purely going to be an exchange of pointers and I hope that Commander Xiang would graciously give your advice.” Wu Zhuo and the rest furrowed their brows, how can there be such an unfair situation in the world, aren’t they trying to wear him down one by one? Besides, with Yan Ping testing Xiang Shaolong’s skills first, it will be greatly beneficial to the later opponents.

Unexpectedly, Zhao Zhi stood up and with her sword came to Xiang Shaolong’s table and said with a smile, “Would Commander please give me your pointers!” Xiang Shaolong thought to himself, what enmity does he have with her, that she’d actually challenge him? He was about to reject when Teng Yi gave Jing Jun, who was raring to duel, an eye signal. That lad jumped up happily, his feet tapping on the table, made a somersault in the air over Zhao Zhi’s head and landed behind her, saying with a grin, “If there’s anything your disciple will do the work for you. The master will fight with the master, the disciple will fight with the disciple. Let me have some fun with Miss Zhi.” Xiang Shaolong and the rest saw that this lad is suddenly now his disciple, and he is sprouting nonsensical and flirtatious words as well and they all thought it funny. The others saw that Jing Jun is as nimble as a monkey and were all secretly startled, secretly thinking that Zhao Zhi has met her match this time. Because Zhao Zhi is famed in Handan for her nimbleness.

Zhao Ba has always thought highly of himself and secretly thought that Xiang Shaolong is not good enough to be placed on par with him. He was quietly furious and said icily, “Xiao Zhi will exchange pointers with this little lad than!” Zhao Zhi knows that her teacher is hinting to her not to show mercy, and also because she’s always hated men who tried to flirt with her so she acknowledged the order and turned around fiercely, her long sword piercing forward as fast as lightning, aiming right at Jing Jun’s heart. Her pose was exquisite yet the moves were swift and vicious, it is indeed top rated swordsmanship.

Everyone saw her sudden attack and thought that Jing Jun would certainly be caught unawares and thus unable to avoid her. Even Xiang Shaolong and Wu Zhuo’s hearts almost jumped to their throats, afraid that something will happen to him. Only Teng Yi remained expressionless like Yan Ping, as if even when the sky and earth splits, there will still be no change in his expression.

Welcome back Jean!! thanks for the update... i hope you and your baby are fine. Although your updates are most treasured, i would suggest you take care of both you and your child as top priority.

Our thirst for your translation updates can wait and can be put aside until the successful delivery of "Jean Jr."

Our thirst for your translation updates can wait and can be put aside until the successful delivery of "Jean Jr."
    I completely agree

And thank you so much Jean!

Jean, I hope your pregnancy is going well and Jean Jr. is not giving you too much trouble. Although I greatly enjoy your updates, I agree with the others. Don't work too hard.

On a side note, I'm liking Teng Yi and Jing Jun immensely as the story progresses. They make a great team .

new chapter!

Book 5 Chap 2 – Open animosity

Jing Jun did not expect his opponent to immediately strike without even a greeting. But he has lived all his life in the forests and grew up among ferocious animals so he has met even more dangerous situations than this numerous times. He chortled, made a false move as if he’s going to move diagonally to the left and when the long sword is about to reach him, he moved to the right by a few millimeters and dashed to Zhao Zhi’s back towards the left, his speed even faster than a spirit.

Zhao Mu and Guo Zhong exchanged a look, and both could see the surprise in each other. With such a person helping Xiang Shaolong, it’s akin to giving wings to a tiger. Therefore, that Wu Zhuo and Teng Yi must be formidable as well and they have no choice but to reevaluate Xiang Shaolong’s ability.

Zhao Zhi was obviously not afraid, this sword stroke is purely to test Jing Jun’s reflexes and now that she knows that her opponent is extremely nimble, she gave a soft grunt as she bent her legs and jumped up into the air, turning a huge somersault. The sharp weapon in her hand turned into a million sword sparks aiming towards Jing Jun from the air. Zhao Ba’s men immediately cheered.

Xiang Shaolong saw that Zhao Zhi’s swordplay looks nice and tightly executed as well, absolutely not just showy moves and was secretly startled as he can deduce from this that Zhao Ba will definitely be extremely formidable. At the same time he remembered how Lian Jin called himself invincible in Handan; people with elevated status like Zhao Mu and Yan Ping will naturally not duel with Lian Jin but Zhao Ba as the head of the warrior association, why did he allow Lian Jin to have his way?

He had a sudden thought, as if he could grasp the meaning of it, but can’t really accurately describe what he felt. Such a weird feeling is making him feel extremely uncomfortable. The empty handed Jing Jun who was standing in the middle of the hall finally took out his weapon, a dagger secured to his waist. His hand reached into his clothes and a ball of something blackish looking suddenly flew out from his hand, first aimed towards Zhao Zhi’s right then it speeded up and turned back and hit Zhao Zhi’s long sword with a ‘dang!’.

Zhao Zhi’s sword speaks were immediately dispersed and she also dropped to the ground. That thing belonging to Jing Jun flew above his head, turning circles above following the movements of his right hand, it turned out to be a shiny, silvery crescent shaped ‘Flying Knife’, which is extremely sharp on both sides, especially the sharp ends that is shaped like a cow’s horns, making one feel it’s horrible danger. It’s the first time Xiang Shaolong has seen his specialized weapon and secretly thought that it will take little effort if it’s used to kill beasts.

Jing Jun grinned and looked at Zhao Zhi, who seemed at a loss as to how to deal with his weapon, his eyes staring leeringly at her chest. Zhao Ba raised his voice, “Such unorthodox weapons, how can it be even taken out in public.” A loud laugh was heard from the main door and someone commented, “Chairman Zhao’s words are not quite right! In the world there are only weapons that can kill or cannot kill, there’s no such thing as unorthodox.”

Everyone turned around in surprise only to see the great general Li Mu step into through the door accompanied by 10 over family warriors. Gao Ang and a few Guo family guards were running after him, obviously they did not even have the chance to announce his arrival. Xiang Shaolong took the chance to call Jing Jun back. A flash of icy murderous intent flashed past Zhao Zhi’s eyes before she quietly returned to her seat.

The wily old fox Guo Zhong chuckled as he left the host table, his face full of smiles as he said, “When did general come back, or else you would certainly not be left out tonight.” Li Mu’s dynamic eyes swept over all the guests who stood up to welcome him and when he saw Zhao Mu, a murderous intent flashed swiftly in his eyes before he covered it up and said with a cold smile, “I just hope that Mister Guo will not blame me for coming uninvited.”

He stared at the embarrassed looking Zhao Ba and said, “Chairman is in charge of cultivating talents for great Zhao, but please do not be such a stickler for customs. I have been fighting with barbarians for a long time and am used to seeing the countless changes on the battlefield. When 2 armies fight, the only goal is to win the other party, who cares what weapon is being used.” Zhao Ba was so furious his face turned dark but he was at a loss for words. Li Mu turned towards Xiang Shaolong and his tone softened as he said, “Shaolong has accomplished a great merit, I came today to offer you 3 toasts. Bring me wine!”

This famous Zhao general who is almost on par with Lian Po shocked the entire gathering upon his arrival and even a bully like Zhao Mu dared not speak up and risk offending this number 2 person in the military. Words seem to be stuck in Le Cheng and Guo Kai’s throats as they dared not reply as well. Xiang Shaolong was secretly surprised, he did not expect this person who represents the Zhao military would show his support for him publicly, and now he is no longer fighting alone.

Only Yan Ping remained seated, not showing any deference to Li Mu at all. Li Mu did not blame him at all and just drank 3 cups of wine with Xiang Shaolong, even seating himself down at Xiang Shaolong’s table. Wu Zhuo and the rest immediately left their seats while Guo Zhong summoned his men to arrange for 3 extra tables behind for them and Li Mu’s men.

After everyone was seated, Zhao Mu gave a dry cough and said, “Great general has just returned, I wonder how is the situation at the border?” Li Mu replied icily, “This is the first time the Marquis of Julu has asked about the Xiong Nus but the reason I rushed back to Handan this time is because of Lady Ni’s incident. After discussing with Premier Lian, we felt that there are many suspicious points regarding her suicide and decided that the military will jointly send in an official request to his Majesty to look into this matter thoroughly. Marquis is the person who dealt with this case single handedly, so you will know that my words are not baseless. I still need to seek your advice.”

bu hee.....XSL got help...

tweety...you are right....jing jun is so funny...

Thanks Jean for the update.

Jean - great update! Do be careful about your health.

I am glad Li Mu is back and got wind of the banquet!

Jing Jun might just be my favorite character in the story. He sounds so cool! Hoping he doesn't do anything foolish => Huang Yi doesn't mess up this character. I'd hate to kick him off my good list

Thanks for entertaining us, Jean!

gonna be a fight!

Xiang Shaolong was suddenly enlightened. He remembered Zhao Qian once mentioned that Zhao Ni is the daughter-in-law of Zhao She, a famed general of Zhao who once defeated the Qin army. Because of her insistence of preserving her chastity she was well liked by the people and even has the support of the military, that’s why even Zhao Mu dared not touch her. Now that Zhao Mu’s lust has gotten the better of him and caused her death, there’s no way his relations with Zhao She, the military and the other generals can maintain cordiality and now they are going to fight each other face on. That’s why Li Mu is being so open about his intention to deal with Zhao Mu now.

Zhao Mu’s expression changed for the worse immediately but because of Li Mu’s military powers and status, he dared not throw his temper. Guo Kai said condescendingly, “Lady Ni committed suicide because of her pining for her dead husband, this is a fact and his Majesty is most aware of this matter. General is not putting your energy at the borders, isn’t all this unnecessary?”

Xiang Shaolong did not expect someone as subtle as Guo Kai would actually rebut Li Mu. Obviously the fight between the military and Zhao Mu’s gang have reached a burning stage where each will not give any face to the opposite party. Li Mu is indeed a hardened soldier. He looked heavenward and laughed loudly, “We’re exactly afraid his Majesty will be tricked by unscrupulous people, that’s why we have no choice but to interfere. The way to winning is first to settle internal problems before dealing with external problems. If you say this is unnecessary, this must be a very extreme joke.”

Guo Zhong has never joined in any faction’s fight but the various groups will try to pull him towards their cause due to his influence, hence he was able to make friends with all sides. Now that he saw that the atmosphere is getting more and more fiery, he felt that things might be getting out of hand so he interrupted and tried to cool things down by saying, “We will not talk about state affairs tonight, but only talk about entertainment. I have arranged a very exciting show of beauties dancing with swords, shall we all enjoy it?” He has not even given the signal when Yan Ping called out, “Hold it!”

Slowly standing up, he pulled out from his back the Juzi sword which is at least 1.5 times longer than the average sword and looked at Xiang Shaolong icily as he said, “Commander Xiang, tonight either you will perish or I will die. Let me see what that traitor Yuan Zong has taught you?” Because of Yan Ping’s special status, there is no way Li Mu can find a reason to interrupt or interfere. Xiang Shaolong knows that this duel is unavoidable and thought to himself that he might as well let this duel be a form of offering for Yuan Zong. If not because that his has numbers on his side, there’s no way Yan Ping can harm even a hair on that Mohist master! He stood up loudly, his eyes icy as he stared at Yan Ping and said, “Who is the traitor? You can debate about it when you see Mo Yi himself!”

Yan Ping snorted angrily, obviously he is feeling extremely furious as he moved to the middle of the hall and stood ready. The hall was silent, everyone knows Yan Ping’s swordplay is unfathomable. Naturally some are secretly cheering while some were worried for Xiang Shaolong. Zhao Mu is secretly laughing, because if Yan Ping is killed, King Xiaocheng will still be extremely unhappy although he knows that Xiang Shaolong has no choice. If Yan Ping were to kill Xiang Shaolong and get rid of this thorn in his eye, it will be beneficial to him. So no matter what the outcome is, he has all to gain and nothing to lose.

Xiang Shaolong left his table and beyond everyone’s expectations, he actually walked towards Zhao Mu’s table instead, his eyes frosty as he stared at Zhao Mu unceasingly. Zhao Mu and his men were on the alert, some of them even moving their hands to their sword handles, getting ready to deal with any moves that might be harm Zhao Mu. Xiang Shaolong came to the front of Zhao Mu’s table and with a slight smile, removed the Flying Rainbow from his waist and placed it together with the scabbard on the table in front of Zhao Mu, saying calmly, “This sword will be returned to Marquis. It has once happily drunk the fresh blood of Xiao Weimou, it has not shamed the reason why Marquis generously gave it away.” He then stared hard at this conniving thief who now has a blood feud with him before turning around and walking towards Yan Ping who was standing in the middle of the hall.

Although Xiao Weimou died because of him, the real person who killed Xiao Weimou is Teng Yi. The reason why Xiang Shaolong said that is to deliberately antagonize Zhao Mu and at the same time let him know that he is already aware of his nefarious plan. The act of returning the sword signifies that a clear line will henceforth be drawn between them, an open rebuke. At this instant, he doesn’t even care about King Xiaocheng, much less Zhao Mu. And only when he publicly shows his animosity like this can he get the full support of Lian Po, Li Mu and the military.

Indeed Zhao Mu was so furious that his face turned red and pale, looking extremely horrible. As for the rest it is the first time they found out that Xiao Weimou has been killed and were all surprised and whispered amongst themselves. An expression of shock even flashed past Li Mu and Yan Ping’s faces. Xiang Shaolong felt greatly relieved that he now no longer have to put on an act with his enemy Zhao Mu. His eyes staring at Yan Ping, he reached out and drew his Mohist wooden sword as waves of murderous aura emitted from him like steam. At the same time his mind was clear, everything is inconsequential, forgetting even about Yuan Zong’s revenge. Only his Mohist wooden sword and his opponent’s Juzi sword is left in this world, with no place for anything else.

Although Yan Ping looks as stable as a mountain with no loopholes at all, it seems that Xiang Shaolong totally understands his enemy’s movement and intent, which are totally reflected in his calm mind. This is the method of ‘keeping one’s heart as clear as jade’ in Mo Yi’s 3 killer strikes, which uses a extraordinary breathing method and a resolute mind. The open animosity with Zhao Mu has also made him calmer, like a reverend who has suddenly found the Way, he has now reached the epitome of the way of the sword. In other people’s eyes, Xiang Shaolong seems to have suddenly changed into another person, as quiet as still water but also simmering within an explosive strength and murderous aura.

Zhao Mu and Zhao Ba revealed a look of shock at the same time. They’re all expert swordsmen so they naturally know that the essence of swordplay can be most effectively executed when once reaches such a stage. Yan Ping’s expression turned somber, he deeply understands Mohist swordplay’s reason of emphasizing more on defense than attack so thinking that Xiang Shaolong will be young and rash, decided that he will not attack first. If not for the fact that Xiang Shaolong is revealing such a frightening aura, he will never control himself and give way like this.

Oops, is it friday already?

Actually, no. It's Thursday
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!